The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I doing this right? (Real estate basics)

offroadaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 5, 2008
Peoria, AZ
I do not have any cash on hand for purchasing an investment property. I thought I could borrow the money with an unsecured loan at a higher interest rate. After a few months I would refinance the house and pay back that loan. Am I going about this the right way?

Heres my quick plan

1. Borrow down payment money using a site like propser.com
2. Purchase REO house or town home at below market value with traditional mortgage.
3. Rent out home
4. Refinance and pay back prosper.com loan

Am I making a mistake by borrowing money for my down payment or is this a normal thing to do?

Last question, should I stay away from condos and town homes and focus only on single family residences or are both okay? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
i assume your are looking in phoenix. do you plan to get positive cashflow on your rental?

offroadaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 5, 2008
Peoria, AZ
i assume your are looking in phoenix. do you plan to get positive cashflow on your rental?

Yep I'm in Phoenix, there are hundreds of REO owner properties available right now. As for cash flow, I wouldn't purchase the property if it would lose money. I'm hoping to generate around $100-200 each month from it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There are a lot of variables ... you should whip out a spreadsheet and run an analysis. The key metrics will be

1) Market rents
2) Average time to rent
3) Fix up costs (if any)
4) Holding costs (Prosper loan, mortgage, insurance, etc.)
5) Acquisition cost

I'd run a financial analysis on 5 scenarios:

1) Best case (Example: Home is rented immediately, property acquired at 30% discount, etc.)
2) Good case
3) Ok case
4) Bad case
5) Worse case (Example: Home takes 5 months to rent, $xxxx in fix it costs, etc)

Only then will you really know if your numbers work.

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
offroadz,

This might help in determining profitablility: 5 year analysis

punch in the price, rent, taxes, insurance, maintenance, utilities, etc and it spits out cap rate, cash on cash return, and cashflow.

offroadaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 5, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Heres what I am looking at right now. Its a 2bed 1 bath in south phoenix. I looked at the pictures and it needs repairs. I went to the website www.rentometer.com and the average rental price in that area is $895 per month

I would borrow the money for the down payment and repair costs using an unsecured loan from a site like www.propser.com that way I do not have to spend any of my own money. 20% down is 8,800 and I estimated the repairs at $5,000. I would get a loan for $15,000 from prosper to cover closing and repair costs. Once the property is purchased I would refinance and pay off the personal loan.

The property would have a positive cash flow of $474 each month after the prosper.com loan is paid off. (Mortgage $326, rent $800)

Best case scenario
Repair time 30 days
Vacancy 30 days
Year end repairs after tenant $400
Year end profit $4,162

Good case
Vacancy 60 days
Year end repairs after tenant $800
Year end profit $3,288

Worst case
Vacancy 90 days
Year end repairs after tenant $1,600
Year end profit $1,688

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
The problem I see is that you are going to refinance in a short amount of time. this means you will be paying closing fees twice in the matter of about a year. Even if it is rolled into the refinance I think you might put yourself out of cash flow to a maybe break even point.

What if you looked at it from a different angle? Use the money from prosper to fund a hard money loan. Buy the property, find renter then re-fi after 6 months of title seasoning. This way you are only paying closing once.

this is the first I have ever heard of prosper. interesting site.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Offroadz,

You will want to factor in both insurance and taxes for your monthly payment, when determining cash flow. Do you know what these figures will be?

Also, I would add the the carrying costs from prosper (if that is the route you choose), closing costs for both the purchase and refinance of the property. In my opinion, these items plus all construction costs should all be rolled into the final mortgage amount.

Have you lined up a bank, which is willing to do a cash out refi on an investment property, based on appraised value (not purchase price)? Make sure they do not have any seasoning requirements (unless you intend to wait 6+ months). You will need to know what LTV they will finance and how your property is likely to appraise, given the current market.

Hope this makes sense. Feel free to post more detail about the numbers and we can determine a better estimate as to what your cash flow might look like.

**ChrisS417 - just saw your spreadsheet. +++ That should be helpful, Offroadz. Just zero out all but the first unit.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Heres what I am looking at right now. Its a 2bed 1 bath in south phoenix. I looked at the pictures and it needs repairs. I went to the website www.rentometer.com and the average rental price in that area is $895 per month

I would borrow the money for the down payment and repair costs using an unsecured loan from a site like www.propser.com that way I do not have to spend any of my own money. 20% down is 8,800 and I estimated the repairs at $5,000. I would get a loan for $15,000 from prosper to cover closing and repair costs. Once the property is purchased I would refinance and pay off the personal loan.

The property would have a positive cash flow of $474 each month after the prosper.com loan is paid off. (Mortgage $326, rent $800)

So you are talking about a $44,000 house/condo in south Phoenix? I have a tough time believing that it would rent for $895. I don't see how you get a mortgage of $326. Did you account for taxes, HOA and insurance? You will have a tough time getting a bank loan for $32,000.

If I were you and I wanted to get into single families, I'd look at nicer condos in Phoenix and Scottsdale that are asking $120k-$150k and try to get one for $80k. Those rent for $800/mo all day and would break even monthly but I believe there is much more upside to them than at $44k condo or house in south phoenix.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Keep in mind, from what I understand, Rentometer.com only takes into account ASKING rents. As JScott stated, make sure you verify these numbers (with either property managers, realtors, or others with knowledge of the market). You're going to want to make sure you have as few surprises as possible if you decide to make the deal.

offroadaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 5, 2008
Peoria, AZ
So you are talking about a $44,000 house/condo in south Phoenix? I have a tough time believing that it would rent for $895. I don't see how you get a mortgage of $326. Did you account for taxes, HOA and insurance? You will have a tough time getting a bank loan for $32,000.

If I were you and I wanted to get into single families, I'd look at nicer condos in Phoenix and Scottsdale that are asking $120k-$150k and try to get one for $80k. Those rent for $800/mo all day and would break even monthly but I believe there is much more upside to them than at $44k condo or house in south phoenix.

I havent done any more research on the rent yet other then what I found online. The house I was looking at is owned by Country Wide and is a foreclosure property.

I know south phoenix isnt exactly the best area, lots of lower income families. Im still looking around right now.

As for the mortgage I used the online calculator at bankrate.com and based it off 7% interest over 30 years. That number is before property tax and insurance

offroadaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 5, 2008
Peoria, AZ

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
do you know of any other online sources for finding rental rates?

Check craigslist (see what others are asking for similar properties), rent.com and any other places you know landlord's list homes/apts for rent. These are your guide.

Another thing we do is to call around to large complexes and get their going rates for 1-bd, 2-bd, etc. Most leasing agents will give you that info over the phone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.