The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ALT YouTube?

Cre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 7, 2021
Hi, I’m an 18 year old student with the desire to escape the regular 9-5. I just finished reading the Millionaire Fastlane and although I know ideas are no good without execution, I was wondering if someone could weigh on my idea for an alternative to YouTube.

Prior to reading the Millionaire Fastlane , I had the idea to follow my passion of having my own YouTube channel, where I would make videos to entertain people, but after reading TMF , I started to doubt whether a Youtube channel would work with the C.E.N.T.S model. So the next best thing I thought of was making an alternative site to YouTube.
From all the policy changes and ads YouTube has forced down viewers and content creators throats, I saw that there was a need for an improved version of YouTube.
As for entry, I recognise that there are some strong competitors in the video hosting website market. Dailymotion has millions of monthly users and there’s also Vimeo. More recently, decentralised websites such as odysee and Peertube have also begun to gain traction, but content creators need a way to monetise content. Sites like odysee use cryptocurrency for monetisation, which is what I think stops them from committing to the platform. I think that I can change monetisation for the better so that content creators can earn money, without the exhaustive use of advertisements Youtube implements. Building an alternative to YouTube would however also be difficult because YouTube is owned by Google.

As for need, I already explained that content creators have begun to become frustrated with YouTube because of its changing policies, 2-3 ads per video and nonsensical deletion of content on the platform. As a past avid YouTube user, I found that the addition of shorts and overall changes to the apps interface has somewhat degraded the app and user experience. I think I can improve that.

Time is something I doubt being able to detract from this business idea unless I sell the site/app and reinvest the money elsewhere afterwards. I imagine building and maintaining a company like Youtube would take a lot of time and mean hiring a lot of employees. Other than selling, I don’t see a way I could divorce a lot of time from the business. I also don’t see myself as the managing, big CEO type either.
Scale is not something I initially worried about because billions of people use Youtube and want to be entertained. With the internet as the means of operating the business on an international scale, I think that scale could be easily achieved. I think gaining traction and getting consumers to choose my website over YouTube is what will be difficult, but I believe the features I plan to implement will help ease that.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide me feedback on this idea!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to have to shoot you down. Only because I don't want you to waste your most precious resource: time.

Building a youtube competitor really isn't a viable project for an 18 year old with no prior business experience. It's not even a viable project for a team of seasoned veterans with deep, deep pockets.

Better to start with something more aligned to your talents.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How can you run a 26 mile marathon when you haven't learned to run 1 mile?

I'm going to have to shoot you down. Only because I don't want you to waste your most precious resource: time.

Building a youtube competitor really isn't a viable project for an 18 year old with no prior business experience. It's not even a viable project for a team of seasoned veterans with deep, deep pockets.

Yup, it's what I call a ZERO probability endeavor.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Bitchute and Rumble are already somewhat popular, with Veoh and Metacafe following. Can you compete with them? If not, better leave it for later.

Cre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 7, 2021

Thanks for your honest input, much appreciated. Guess I’ll just keep a lookout for other opportunities!

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
Hi, I’m an 18 year old student with the desire to escape the regular 9-5. I just finished reading the Millionaire Fastlane and although I know ideas are no good without execution, I was wondering if someone could weigh on my idea for an alternative to YouTube.

Prior to reading the Millionaire Fastlane , I had the idea to follow my passion of having my own YouTube channel, where I would make videos to entertain people, but after reading TMF , I started to doubt whether a Youtube channel would work with the C.E.N.T.S model. So the next best thing I thought of was making an alternative site to YouTube.
From all the policy changes and ads YouTube has forced down viewers and content creators throats, I saw that there was a need for an improved version of YouTube.
As for entry, I recognise that there are some strong competitors in the video hosting website market. Dailymotion has millions of monthly users and there’s also Vimeo. More recently, decentralised websites such as odysee and Peertube have also begun to gain traction, but content creators need a way to monetise content. Sites like odysee use cryptocurrency for monetisation, which is what I think stops them from committing to the platform. I think that I can change monetisation for the better so that content creators can earn money, without the exhaustive use of advertisements Youtube implements. Building an alternative to YouTube would however also be difficult because YouTube is owned by Google.

As for need, I already explained that content creators have begun to become frustrated with YouTube because of its changing policies, 2-3 ads per video and nonsensical deletion of content on the platform. As a past avid YouTube user, I found that the addition of shorts and overall changes to the apps interface has somewhat degraded the app and user experience. I think I can improve that.

Time is something I doubt being able to detract from this business idea unless I sell the site/app and reinvest the money elsewhere afterwards. I imagine building and maintaining a company like Youtube would take a lot of time and mean hiring a lot of employees. Other than selling, I don’t see a way I could divorce a lot of time from the business. I also don’t see myself as the managing, big CEO type either.
Scale is not something I initially worried about because billions of people use Youtube and want to be entertained. With the internet as the means of operating the business on an international scale, I think that scale could be easily achieved. I think gaining traction and getting consumers to choose my website over YouTube is what will be difficult, but I believe the features I plan to implement will help ease that.

Alts: Bitchute, Odysee, Rumble. Those are the big 3. If you rather try to make your own alt-youtube, Im actually attempting to do the same, just give me a shout and I can help

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Bitchute and Rumble are already somewhat popular, with Veoh and Metacafe following. Can you compete with them? If not, better leave it for later.

Another one gaining steam in the dApp realm is Odysee

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Two notes:

1) I refuse to use YouTube anymore. Rumble or Odyssey for me.
If a video is on YouTube only, you won't have me as an audience member.

This is mostly due to censorship, I can't support companies I think are evil, so... I don't.

2) Don't be so quick to give up on an idea you have.
Thanks for your honest input, much appreciated. Guess I’ll just keep a lookout for other opportunities!

While I think the advice you got above from smart people is good and correct - it's possible it's not...

We don't know everything. Maybe you have a killer idea, even though you are inexperienced.
Maybe you see something others don't.
Maybe you have an angle that hasn't been considered.

I agree with others, that taking on Goliath and the monopoly of BigTech will be hard.
Maybe you aren't the guy. You're probably not.

BUT, a LOT of people in life, are going to give you their opinions on your ideas.
And most of them will s*** on your ideas, and tell you why you can't.
Which, in my experience, is just them personifying why *THEY* can't.

If you believe in something - don't give up because a couple people said you couldn't do it.
While they are probably right, what if they are not?

You got some good advice here, but, I'd also say 'don't retreat so easily'
If you see a need - investigate, dive in. Spend some time on it.

The worst thing that happens is you'll spend some money and time - and LEARN what works and doesn't.
At 18, I'd be trying all sorts of crazy things, with no fear of failure - because... the worst that happened was I'd gain a ton of experience. And that is invaluable.

G

Guest84834

Two notes:

This is mostly due to censorship, I can't support companies I think are evil, so... I don't.

While I think the advice you got above from smart people is good and correct - it's possible it's not...

We don't know everything. Maybe you have a killer idea, even though you are inexperienced.

I agree with others, that taking on Goliath and the monopoly of BigTech will be hard.

BUT, a LOT of people in life, are going to give you their opinions on your ideas.

If you believe in something - don't give up because a couple people said you couldn't do it.

The worst thing that happens is you'll spend some money and time - and LEARN what works and doesn't.
At 18, I'd be trying all sorts of crazy things, with no fear of failure - because... the worst that happened was I'd gain a ton of experience. And that is invaluable.
this is what i would call a valuable post

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You are correct about the need, but others are correct about the insane scope of this.

You could try building a tiny niche video website though centered around a specific topic.

That might be a good place to start.

Like the cat website “I can haz cheeseburger” or whatever. Pick something and make your own tiny online biz, learn through it, and go from there.

I remember when stupidvideos.com was big, as well as albinoblacksheep, addictinggames.com and more.

First see if you can learn some basic web development skills.
The quickest win there would be to start developing websites for clients.

Cre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 7, 2021
How can you run a 26 mile marathon when you haven't learned to run 1 mile?

Yup, it's what I call a ZERO probability endeavo
You are correct about the need, but others are correct about the insane scope of this.

You could try building a tiny niche video website though centered around a specific topic.

That might be a good place to start.

Like the cat website “I can haz cheeseburger” or whatever. Pick something and make your own tiny online biz, learn through it, and go from there.

I remember when stupidvideos.com was big, as well as albinoblacksheep, addictinggames.com and more.

First see if you can learn some basic web development skills.
The quickest win there would be to start developing websites for clients.
I hadn’t thought about the tiny niche video website idea you mention. I’ll look into that. Thanks for your input!

Cre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 7, 2021
Two notes:

Thanks for your advice and input. As soon as I made the post I expected people to be doubtful of the idea, and rightly so, I mean an 18yr old trying to make an alternative to YouTube? Insane. But since I saw the numerous complaints people had about the site, I definitely saw a need. While I’m probably not the guy, I’ll take up you on your advice and spend some time to investigate a little more before I swiftly move on.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

I don't see any new platform taking over youtube soon, but you can build a mini youtube based around a niche.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
If Youtube wouldn’t be owned by Google a lot of different competitors could have taken over.

When I google “dailymotion”, the first result is a youtube video about it :rofl:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Google for “unbundling Reddit” or “unbundling Etsy” and see what comes up.

As other suggested, building a YouTube alternative is an ask.

I’d say that’s the wrong goal to start with. Make it your goal to help people instead? Over time get more and more specific on who you help and what you help them with. Take it from there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.