The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alcohol drinking habits

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 29, 2019
I guess entrepreneurs can be a bit different in the sense that they set the culture of their business. So if the owner wants to go out for drinks a lot, it could lead to some issues. It really depends on the dynamics of the individuals involved.

I've worked for various large banks here in the States and they've all been different. The UK bank I worked for here had a lot of English expats and the bank kept the kitchen fridge stocked with beer, wine, and champagne. It was definitely a pub culture and drinking was common. It lead to a bit of trouble occasionally but was also the most fun I've had working and I'm still close with a lot of those guys. Other banks, no one went out for drinks ever. You just showed up, did your job, and went home.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual to know their limits and if they can handle it or not. Personally, I'm purely a social drinker; I only drink when I'm out with other people and I know that if I go beyond 2 or 3, it has the potential to turn into an all-nighter, so I have to be mindful when it gets to that point. Fortunately, I've never developed a craving for alcohol, drank alone, etc., and I don't go out as much now that I'm older, so it's not really an issues for me now a days.

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
Alcohol and tobacco are in the same category. There is no such thing as moderation. Having none of them is still better than sometimes.
For me it’s the same, I got decision fatigue and wasted time when I tried moderation

There are still too many people though in the world who don’t drink don’t smoke and follow all of Huberman’s neuroscience advice and yet they’re not street smart and not actually original thinkers and think neuroscience solves everything and they give a bad rep to healthy people which is a problem. They’re trying to be healthy but missing the point. People are all trying to improve and they are smart even if they have an addictive lifestyle, they’re looking for smart people to learn from and be examples to follow. I don’t listen to Huberman because I think Huberman himself tends to be too far on the spectrum of “neuroscience fixes everything” (and it takes one to know one) when the real answer is being real and being our true selves, slowing down before moving forward etc. which takes actual work. Sitting down and thinking vs. following cookie cutter neuroscience advice

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
People who drink are victims of the multi-billion alcohol/beer marketing that has perpetuated pop culture since time immemorial. Alcohol is associated with suave gentlemen and/or the masculine alpha male depending on the brand. Sometimes decked out in a sharp suit at a bar with hot chicks flocking to him, sometimes in shabby clothes with overgrown facial hair depending on the plot. If you don't drink, you aren't a man, you're a wuss, a little boy.

That's the narrative the masses have been sold on, together with tobacco. Cool heroic guys smoke and drink. Want to get girls? Drink and smoke. Never mind that alcohol smells worse than urine and tobacco smells poisonous af. Alcohol is a depressant, that's why it makes you feel shitty the next day. And when you feel shitty combined with life's problems, you drink more and the cycle repeats.

Even women nowadays (in Asia) are jumping onto this bandwagon lol.
Alcohol ages the skin over time and gives you visceral fat, so good luck with that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Even way beyond alcohol… I don’t think victim assignment behavior is advantageous to anyone, including the supposed victim.

I might come across as harsh but I’m not someone that lets others have excuses very easily.

@Xeon your post about people being victims of marketing bugged me. It eliminates the importance of choice. Did those “victims” chose to get in their vehicles, go to a place that has alcohol, ask for it, and swipe their card? How after all of those decisions is this Anheuser Bush’s fault? It isn’t.

That’s very external locus. I wouldn’t let them have it. “Oh I slammed my car into a pedestrian at 87 miles an hour and it’s Stoli’s fault.” THAT’S a loser.

Benjamin Pavliha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 18, 2022
Dubai, UAE
Hey everyone, quite new to the forum here, so thought I would share some of my experience.

Over the past years I have worked with 3 different global corporate companies in 4 different countries, and I have witnessed that drinking alcohol was the main activity that me and my work colleagues used to do in order to relieve the stress associated with work, sometimes even daily, which further developed my alcohol addiction.

As I'm starting with my entrepreneurial journey right now, I'm just wondering if you have noticed similar alcohol drinking patterns in the entrepreneurial world. Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?

P.S. I understand this is a very sensitive topic, so feel free to DM me in case you don't want to discuss it in the comment section.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Due to cultural pressure, you have to set clear boundaries for yourself with alcohol, regardless of whether you've had one drink this year or go out every weekend.

In the previous two years, I barely drank at all. This year, in retrospect, it seems I slipped up. No consequences, but I can (and must) do better. Started going out with a woman earlier in the year and we've done things like attend weddings, take trips, family holiday functions, etc. There have been a handful of times where I've had 5+ drinks. I don't like that at all. I want there to be 0 times where I have between 5+ drinks. I'm ok with having a drink or two on occasion but as a health conscious person, no more than that.

It's more than just alcohol impacting your life. If you want to be a high performance person in all areas of life, you simply can't afford to have nights where you have 5+ drinks.

I'm attending a Christmas party in mid December. Then there's Christmas Eve and New Years. My goal is to not have anymore than 1-2 drinks on any of these three occasions.

What's your goal?

steve schweitzer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Oct 18, 2015
alma, arkansas
Alcohol and tobacco are in the same category. There is no such thing as moderation. Having none of them is still better than sometimes.
I would also like to add cannabis to that list of never touch drugs if you value your brain.

Watch Hubermans episode on weed and brain health and I can assure you that you will never consider putting that chemical in your brain.

I used to think weed was pretty benign and harmless. Maybe 30 years ago it was different but this super high thc content frankenweed out now and especially these pure thc concentrates and vape carts will really do a number on your brain and could potentially cause permanent damage.

I think we are setting up our society to have a bunch a highly addicted people in a few years since the high school kids seem to really love these thc vape carts.

The amount of damage being done to these developing brains in truly staggering.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Alcohol, even just "one" a day or "one" a week, affects neuroplasticity. In other words it basically keeps you from changing yourself. Yup.

So if you are depressed or have anxiety. Good luck changing as long as you gulp down those 7% ABV Hazy IPAs.
I've watched that episode of Andrew Huberman as well.

I guess the changes in brain plasticity are one of the reasons why most people's lives skyrocket after they stop drinking.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I don't think giving up alcohol gets talked about enough in the entrepreneurial world.

You always hear people talk about how a $4 coffee is a waste of money but what about $7 pints and you can't just have one, you need 15.

You can't make your best decisions when groggy and hung over. One night out can cost you 3 days of feeling like crap.

I'm from Ireland and gave up drinking 3 year's ago. It's a huge part of our culture here and since I gave it up I've noticed Ireland is not a place I want to live in anymore. There's not much to do here if you don't drink and sit in a pub.
It’s a toxic poison that accumulates damages to the liver.

Any 3 minutes of google search is enough to frighten the sheet out of anyone who bothers to research.

Fortunately I don’t drink and never find alcohol addictive. It is not even tasty to me.

On the hand I have some issue with caffeine that if I skip coffee or tea for a day I might have some mild headache.

There seems to be overwhelming “research” that says caffeine addiction isn’t so much of an issue and 2 cups or less per day is even heathier than not drinking. But again these could be just megacoporation playing confirmation bias to play the kind of music that I want to hear.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Anyone addicted to alcohol is a retard.
You speak with authority, like when it takes a retard to recognize one ;). Bravo!!

Edit:
I was at a bookstore, how timely

F0C79394-AE1A-4D61-8EA0-1923F1753C10.jpeg

Last edited:

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm from Ireland and gave up drinking 3 year's ago. It's a huge part of our culture here and since I gave it up I've noticed Ireland is not a place I want to live in anymore. There's not much to do here if you don't drink and sit in a pub.
I'm from Australia which I kinda feel has a similar drinking culture to Ireland. I felt the same way a few years ago when I cut my drinking way back. It was literally the only thing it seemed my mates would do when it came to socializing, and it didn't matter if they were a professional or a labourer. It felt like my social life was over.

Fast forward a few years and I've moved to a different area an hour north and mainly hang out with people that run their own business and it's not an issue anymore.

I'm not gonna lie and try to act like Mr Entrepreneurman3000 that wakes up at 4am to do yoga and medtiation while cold plunging and never touching a drop of alcohol, I still really like a nice beer or a hendricks, but everyone is way more in control of it here and one or 2 drinks if you decide to is like a big night now, lol.

I don't think you need to leave Ireland, but change your scene more. It's a pain in the a$$ though, took me a few years.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Yeah right. It's no wonder you have "boy" in your username.
The way I write on this forum is actually the way I talk in real life. Can you say the same? I can't imagine running around talking to people like a little edgelord dipshit is going to work out well for you.
No, way different. I say all the bad/funny/illegal stuff outside of the forum.

I’m not here to argue. Just to drop a little wisdom nugget: drinking problems are for dummies. Anyone with an alcohol problem is a massive red flag. If that hurts your feelings because mommy drank too much that is a conversation for a therapist not a forum.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I'm from Australia which I kinda feel has a similar drinking culture to Ireland. I felt the same way a few years ago when I cut my drinking way back. It was literally the only thing it seemed my mates would do when it came to socializing, and it didn't matter if they were a professional or a labourer. It felt like my social life was over.

Fast forward a few years and I've moved to a different area an hour north and mainly hang out with people that run their own business and it's not an issue anymore.

I'm not gonna lie and try to act like Mr Entrepreneurman3000 that wakes up at 4am to do yoga and medtiation while cold plunging and never touching a drop of alcohol, I still really like a nice beer or a hendricks, but everyone is way more in control of it here and one or 2 drinks if you decide to is like a big night now, lol.

I don't think you need to leave Ireland, but change your scene more. It's a pain in the a$$ though, took me a few years.

I used to live in Perth. Australia has a huge drinking culture, just as big as Ireland I remember working construction and there'd be drinks during lunch breaks and after work. Fridays the boss man would brings boxes of bottles to the site.

I feel like a move is the right thing for me. Not much to do here, especially in the winter time.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Only the weakest of men can’t handle complexity of life and avoid all red flags. If you can only handle being around happy people, you aren’t happy.

Calling those with addiction “retards” is a sign of a weak ignorant teenager. Removing emotions has nothing to do with it.

And yes, anyone with ANY addiction is a red flag. So?
Agree with you, I am not condoning what Johny Boy said. I don't get sucked into his antics and petulant provocateur statements - I will be there for weeks.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Lots of people aren't into the drinking culture here in Ireland, or in the UK David. I used to be till I had kids, then everything changed. Now I just go out occasionally, in particular when England play Ireland in the 6 Nations rugby.

I meet people for a coffee more often now and much prefer that.

I suspect you'll find there's more people who aren't into the drinking culture here than you think.

If you're ever passing then make sure you let me know and we can meet up for a coffee!

I know a lot of people who don't drink much anymore but that's mainly down to having kids

I still find there isn't much to do here though.

Definitely take you up on that coffee sometime. Thanks.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
It's a whole island of amazing places and 7 million people. Many of them don't drink.

I'm reminded of when I was in my party phase in London and got my first motor bike. Overnight I stopped partying. I was obsessed with the bike and went out every evening straight from work for hours, and got up early at the weekend to head out before traffic built up.

I didn't even go out with anyone else. Just me and the bike.

I got to know a few more bikers in work. I never knew they existed because they were never down the pub after work.

What are you into? I'm sure there's local groups of people doing that.

Ireland has a lot of good things here but I find come evenings and weekends there isn't much to do if you're not a drinker.

Don't like how wet and dark it's gets here for 6 months. I'm a big weather guy. If you could dropship Ireland beside Spain it would be the best place in the world.

I like to be active. Gym, cycling, hikes and walking the dogs.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
New rule of thumb: I never take a drink when I need one.
Same with talking! Good rule to follow. Never say something when you feel like you need to say something. Give it 24 hours instead. ;)

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
My stepmother has struggled with alcoholism her whole life which started when she went through an insane amount of domestic violence over a 20 year period before she met my Dad.

She's not a retard, you're just an a**hole.
Alcoholism is the most selfish habit you can ever have. I grew up with an abusive alcoholic dad who refuses to quit drinking and will die from it in a year or two. People who can't control their urge for alcohol are selfish, weak scum. It's not that hard to just quit drinking, if they cared about the people in their life, they would quit drinking. Alcoholics are the *ssholes for putting the people around them through trauma, and a constant state of fear. Not to mention when they decide to get in a car and kill a family while driving under the influence. Men who drink are weak, and aren't fulfilling their duty as a man. You cant provide for and protect a family when you're passed out drunk on the couch every day.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Had one of the worst days of my year today, and have to admit, a beer made me feel a hell of a lot better.

As Krusty the clown would say... Everything's gonna be ooooooookkkkkkkkkk.... :happy:

I would be embarrassed to be seen drunk these days though. I feel like alcohol is becoming a bit stigmatized and pathetic looking, much like cigarettes.

I would feel a bit lame to go on a date and drink water though.

Minuz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 19, 2019
Acohol is worst thing ever. I drink when going out but altho i enjoy it at the moment next day sucks. Also it only has negative impact in our life, nothing positive.
You can drink a few beers a week and nothing will happen ofcourse , but if you can avoid it its even better.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
In my experience, there are some people out there who can handle booze and not have it negatively effect their life.

The vast majority of people can't and should stay away from it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Here is a great podcast on alcohol by Andrew Huberman.

Alcohol, even just "one" a day or "one" a week, affects neuroplasticity. In other words it basically keeps you from changing yourself. Yup.

So if you are depressed or have anxiety. Good luck changing as long as you gulp down those 7% ABV Hazy IPAs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS1pkKpILY

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I used to drink occasionally until I learned:
(a) that alcohol alters gene expression
(b) the long-term reduction in dopamine level post the high and good feeling you get from drinking

In the last four months, I have had one glass of white wine. That's it.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Not mutually exclusive, both are true.
Yeah right. It's no wonder you have "boy" in your username.
The way I write on this forum is actually the way I talk in real life. Can you say the same? I can't imagine running around talking to people like a little edgelord dipshit is going to work out well for you.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This sums it all up IMO.
Worse than asymmetric downside imo.

Asymmetric downside is potential big loss.

Alcohol is guaranteed small loss with potential big loss.

Much easier to have liver cancer than being multimillionaire in real world. Probability is higher too.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
People who drink are victims of the multi-billion alcohol/beer marketing that has perpetuated pop culture since time immemorial. Alcohol is associated with suave gentlemen and/or the masculine alpha male depending on the brand. Sometimes decked out in a sharp suit at a bar with hot chicks flocking to him, sometimes in shabby clothes with overgrown facial hair depending on the plot. If you don't drink, you aren't a man, you're a wuss, a little boy.

That's the narrative the masses have been sold on, together with tobacco. Cool heroic guys smoke and drink. Want to get girls? Drink and smoke. Never mind that alcohol smells worse than urine and tobacco smells poisonous af. Alcohol is a depressant, that's why it makes you feel shitty the next day. And when you feel shitty combined with life's problems, you drink more and the cycle repeats.

Even women nowadays (in Asia) are jumping onto this bandwagon lol.
Alcohol ages the skin over time and gives you visceral fat, so good luck with that.
Oh jeez. When are people going to start being accountable for their actions and not blame "culture"? People drink because they choose to drink. I don't care what the marketing around it is or the culture view around it is, people drink because they decided to drink.
No, way different. I say all the bad/funny/illegal stuff outside of the forum.

I’m not here to argue. Just to drop a little wisdom nugget: drinking problems are for dummies. Anyone with an alcohol problem is a massive red flag. If that hurts your feelings because mommy drank too much that is a conversation for a therapist not a forum.

I'm 40 years old Johnny, I met her a few years ago. I don't need therapy for having some empathy and understanding that some people have terrible things happen in their life that can lead to alcoholism.

You really need to tone down on your antagonistic style of writing, this isn't reddit.

@MattR82, putting emotions aside for a bit, he has a point. Anyone with an alcohol problem is a red flag.

I can understand why your stepmother picked the bottle. No one should go through years of domestic violence. I empathize with her situation. Terrible things like that can lead to alcoholism; it is understandable. But they don't have to. I have a friend that has it rough. Abandoned, adopted, raped, emotional violence... you name it. In 2020 she started being a victim of domestic violence. It took her until early this year to get out. Alcohol is not in the picture, and it is still not sunshine and rainbow for her.

Why someone became alcoholic can be understandable and still remains a red flag.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.