The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alcohol drinking habits

Anything related to matters of the mind

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?
It doesn't matter what other people do or what society believes is right.

If something causes you harm, stop doing it. If it enables you to live a better live, keep doing it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Hey everyone, quite new to the forum here, so thought I would share some of my experience.

Over the past years I have worked with 3 different global corporate companies in 4 different countries, and I have witnessed that drinking alcohol was the main activity that me and my work colleagues used to do in order to relieve the stress associated with work, sometimes even daily, which further developed my alcohol addiction.

As I'm starting with my entrepreneurial journey right now, I'm just wondering if you have noticed similar alcohol drinking patterns in the entrepreneurial world. Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?

P.S. I understand this is a very sensitive topic, so feel free to DM me in case you don't want to discuss it in the comment section.
I almost never drink alcohol.

The beauty of entrepreneurship is you make your own rules. That’s freedom.

Put it another way, if you just follow the herd, like drinking because everyone seems to be doing it, that’s the opposite of how great businesses are built. You should have a solid footing, a centre. Then create the life you want. One little step at a time.

For stress, many of us choose : exercise, meditation, reading etc. Booze is a weak tool for stress management, in fact it might just do the opposite.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I don't drink at all.

18 years of growing a business - now approaching $25M/year.
I just simply couldn't imagine spending time on booze.

I go to bed early, get up early, work hard.
Boozing it up doesn't fit anywhere in that.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
To me, drinking booze to try to relax or feel better is the start down the slippery slope. I've been around too many alcoholics in my life and seen trail of destruction they've left in their and their families lives, the deaths, divorces, disfigurements, financial ruin, prison, and the pleasure of ending up living on the streets.

I do drink one on occasion for taste, mostly because one of my friends owns a craft beer bar. I make it a point to never drink because I'm stressed. That to me is the ultimate weakness and danger of it all.

When I was fresh out of school and didn't want to go where there might be drinking, my dad who owned a construction company told me I should still go out with people to not seem like a snob. Just get a soft drink and leave if things get out of hand.

The fact that someone is white collar or blue collar, an entrepreneur or in big business or a coal miner relaxing doesn't matter. It's all the same. The drug finds someone who is weak and makes them weaker.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I don't think giving up alcohol gets talked about enough in the entrepreneurial world.

You always hear people talk about how a $4 coffee is a waste of money but what about $7 pints and you can't just have one, you need 15.

You can't make your best decisions when groggy and hung over. One night out can cost you 3 days of feeling like crap.

I'm from Ireland and gave up drinking 3 year's ago. It's a huge part of our culture here and since I gave it up I've noticed Ireland is not a place I want to live in anymore. There's not much to do here if you don't drink and sit in a pub.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?
Accepted, but I don't think promoted. If it causes you harm in the way of an addiction, real friends wouldn't push that onto you.

FillyCheez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 11, 2016
Los Angeles
I ended up deciding to avoid alcohol entirely at an early age due to alcoholism in my family. My father was always a drinker, but eventually had an accident that turned him into a super heavy alcoholic.

The alcohol ended up destroying him. He came to the US as a penniless immigrant, and eventually made a small fortune through entrepreneurship and sheer force of will. But the alcohol took it all away. The loss of wealth was the least of his troubles. He lost his entire family, and destroyed his health. He ended up dying at just 58 years old.

As I've gotten older, I've come to view alcohol as an asymmetric downside risk. The upside to alcohol is that you elevate your emotional state in the moment. But the downside is massive. You can hurt or kill yourself/others, and destroy many people's lives in the process. I've seen many such examples, even some in the Fastlane community itself.

I think if someone is predisposed to addiction, then its worth avoiding alcohol entirely. Most people are probably able to control their consumption, but I know that I wouldn't be able to, so I avoid it completely.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It depends a lot on the culture of where you are. I'm English living in Ireland. Drinks are a big part of both our cultures.

I used to go out a lot. Now I'm bored of it, but enjoy going down the pub when England play Ireland at rugby.

If I'm at a function and others are drinking I don't feel pressured to do so if I don't want to. It's my choice.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've many fond memories of epic nights out with mates, work nights in London, mad rave things in a bank vault in Berlin, avoiding Viking brawls in Iceland, and beating Americans at drinking games in New York. It didn't stop me working, exercising, or make me depressed or an alcoholic.

I'll sneak down the pub the next time they show a Newcastle match (here in Ireland they mostly just show Liverpool, Man U, or Chelsea so I have to catch Newcastle when they play one of those teams). I may be on my own for the few pints, unless it's against Liverpool in which case I'll be out with a brother-in-law who supports them ... along with the rest of the bleeding pub it seems.

I can't wait for England v Ireland in rugby although it's mostly us losing the last couple of years. That's a great afternoon with me winding up the locals just for wearing white. My wife will be out wearing green and giving me grief. It's all good natured and great craic as they say over here.

Anyway, here's a short video I posted to Facebook a couple of months ago. Be warned, you won't be able to unsee it.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Alcoholism is the most selfish habit you can ever have. I grew up with an abusive alcoholic dad who refuses to quit drinking and will die from it in a year or two. People who can't control their urge for alcohol are selfish, weak scum. It's not that hard to just quit drinking, if they cared about the people in their life, they would quit drinking. Alcoholics are the *ssholes for putting the people around them through trauma, and a constant state of fear. Not to mention when they decide to get in a car and kill a family while driving under the influence. Men who drink are weak, and aren't fulfilling their duty as a man. You cant provide for and protect a family when you're passed out drunk on the couch every day.
Same can be said for almost any addiction, (not including some addictions perhaps, like work or exercise addiction, but those that are more shameful) if the addiction takes priority over everything else, it turns you into an emotionally unbalanced, highly secretive, insecure husk of what a man could be and should aspire to be. An alcoholic or drug addict is a man that should never have had a family in the first place and will spread the dysfunction like a plague across the family unit, wholly unseen from outside looking in, but rotting from inside out. At least that was my father with his incessant weed, on the couch 24/7 as well, and his promiscuity, who was either completely neglectful, tepid and zombified, or like Jekyll and Hyde turned into a raging freak who would scream at you at a hairline trigger flip of a switch. Being in that house was like biting my nails waiting for a bomb to go off at random.

I had my share of horrible addictions and am happily clean now, and pledge to never bring that shit into any close relationship I ever have, or ever with a future family. It stops with me god willing. Hopefully I have enough self awareness and will take responsibility as much as I can from now on.

In my own experience all of my regrets in the past looking back come from the fact I was such a shitty person to be friends with, I was a net negative for everyone I knew and befriended because I was doing heinous shit in secret and always running from my problems, and what you do in the dark will affect how you behave in the light. As an addict I was selfishly choosing whatever substance it was and could never be there for those close to me.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don’t “go drinking” I’ll have a drink with dinner on occasion. No one I have ever worked with didn’t accept my desire not to get drunk.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Alcohol does something to you. It changes you. And I don’t mean that when you get “drunk”.

It makes you unproductive, foolish and sluggish. It makes you feel like you are winning when you are really not.

I’ve cut out all alcohol from my life and have seen nothing but benefits.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
How the F*ck does alcohol relieve stress? You walk into a bar stressed, you drink, you come out less stressed? That’s weird.

I try to not drink a lot strictly for dieting. Otherwise I would have 6 mojitos a day when I’m chilling at the lake house. Very fun to be grilling burgers, chugging down cocktails the girlfriend is making me, riding around on the jet ski for a few hours at 1pm on a Tuesday because the business is running smoothly.

Anyone who thinks of alcohol in any emotional soothing way is low IQ. Anyone addicted to alcohol is a retard.

If anyone I know ever indicates that alcohol makes them “forget” life or treats it as escapism they are immediately labeled as a complete dumbass.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
How the F*ck does alcohol relieve stress? You walk into a bar stressed, you drink, you come out less stressed? That’s weird.

I try to not drink a lot strictly for dieting. Otherwise I would have 6 mojitos a day when I’m chilling at the lake house. Very fun to be grilling burgers, chugging down cocktails the girlfriend is making me, riding around on the jet ski for a few hours at 1pm on a Tuesday because the business is running smoothly.

Anyone who thinks of alcohol in any emotional soothing way is low IQ. Anyone addicted to alcohol is a retard.

If anyone I know ever indicates that alcohol makes them “forget” life or treats it as escapism they are immediately labeled as a complete dumbass.
Why don't you chill the F*ck out, ya little a**hole.

Maybe you have more in common with dumbasses than you think.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I used to live in Perth. Australia has a huge drinking culture, just as big as Ireland I remember working construction and there'd be drinks during lunch breaks and after work. Fridays the boss man would brings boxes of bottles to the site.

I feel like a move is the right thing for me. Not much to do here, especially in the winter time.
Lots of people aren't into the drinking culture here in Ireland, or in the UK David. I used to be till I had kids, then everything changed. Now I just go out occasionally, in particular when England play Ireland in the 6 Nations rugby.

I meet people for a coffee more often now and much prefer that.

I suspect you'll find there's more people who aren't into the drinking culture here than you think.

If you're ever passing then make sure you let me know and we can meet up for a coffee!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I haven’t drank alcohol since I had a glass of champagne for New Year’s. That’s pretty much my only consumption for an entire year.

Drinking alcohol gives me a high heart rate, and makes concentrating more difficult. I literarily find 0 benefits and many downsides.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Some wild takes and a lot of immaturity is showing in this thread.

The fact is people are introduced to the trillion dollar alcohol industry long before their brain finishes developing.

Social pressure, marketing, addiction, countless other factors.

You don't naturally develop resistance to all of these different pressures when you are only 20 years old. I would argue most 20 year olds aren't going to have the life experience, the wisdom, the willpower, and the discipline to be able to resist going out with the boys or getting hammered at a college party.

I think the goal for most at that age is to manage risk and drink responsibility.

Somewhere around 25 to 30 years old the goal should be either a) social drinking only (for events, not every weekend at the bar - and limit to 1-2 drinks) or b) complete abstinence

I think around 25 to 30 is when you have enough of your shit together where you can actively choose to give up alcohol and actually succeed on that. People younger than that can certainly achieve that as well but there are more challenges.

For anyone that has gone down the path too far, there is no reason to make fun of their plight. It only shows one's own lack of maturity and empathy, two traits that go a long way in entrepreneurship.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
"What do you mean you dont want to go out and get drunk? It's F*cking friday!"
This. People will look at you like youre also crazy for working on weekends too.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I quit alcohol for 2 years now and a whole new world has unravelled (I was usually not overdirinking btw).
The thing is, life is much better without it. You have so much more clarity the next day, and your mind just works better in general due to the better quality of sleep.
Stoping drinking also helped me control my weight. Alcohol is full of empty calories.
You also gain control of your life in general
Just quit and see what happens.
You may read Allen Carr's EasyWay book to do that and it provides all the reason one by one on why.
Don't drink because most of the people drink.
Be different.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
“I can’t stop drinking. It’s not my fault, it’s a disease. I do it to cope with the cruel world. I’m a victim” - Retarded Rick
My stepmother has struggled with alcoholism her whole life which started when she went through an insane amount of domestic violence over a 20 year period before she met my Dad.

She's not a retard, you're just an a**hole.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
No, way different. I say all the bad/funny/illegal stuff outside of the forum.

I’m not here to argue. Just to drop a little wisdom nugget: drinking problems are for dummies. Anyone with an alcohol problem is a massive red flag. If that hurts your feelings because mommy drank too much that is a conversation for a therapist not a forum.
I'm 40 years old Johnny, I met her a few years ago. I don't need therapy for having some empathy and understanding that some people have terrible things happen in their life that can lead to alcoholism.

You really need to tone down on your antagonistic style of writing, this isn't reddit.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
@MattR82, putting emotions aside for a bit, he has a point. Anyone with an alcohol problem is a red flag.

Only the weakest of men can’t handle complexity of life and avoid all red flags. If you can only handle being around happy people, you aren’t happy.

Calling those with addiction “retards” is a sign of a weak ignorant teenager. Removing emotions has nothing to do with it.

And yes, anyone with ANY addiction is a red flag. So?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's definitely "Anheuser Bush's" fault, although to be fair, "victims" are not entirely blameless. It's just that with these marketing, it's even harder for the "victims" to "escape".

If these alcohol companies market their beers like boring commodities from the beginning (e.g. toilet papers in Walmart), I doubt as many people would drink. It's very subtle brainwashing. How many times have you watched movies/ads/posters where the suave handsome heroes drink and smoke? When 12-year teenage boys see that, their minds start getting influenced.

1*ZqleGlKzQl7yyI7G6tUSGg.png

How cool and badass, I want to be like him! All I need is Marlboro right?

Bond.jpg

The classic Hollywood chad with alcohol. Imagine how much less manly he looks without that thing in his left hand (the hand with the ring).

Just because a company has cool ads doesn’t MAKE people buy products. Sure it may encourage people to buy them. You’d have to be living under a rock to not know the downsides of smoking cigarettes. You still have to choose to ignore your knowledge of massive downsides to buy cigarettes.

Sure the Marlboro man is almost as cool as John Dutton. Does that mean I want to run out and buy a pack? No. I never have and never will.

It’s still a choice. Personal responsibility reigns supreme.

Weren’t you just agreeing on personal responsibility about TikTok?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There's 5 Liquor stores within walking distance from where I live.

Those are one of the few cash based businesses. That's a lot of people buying alcohol. More people struggle with alcohol than many realize.

New rule of thumb: I never take a drink when I need one.

Most people don't consider themselves "alcoholics" yet they wouldn't go a few days without craving alcohol.

I haven't had alcohol in 30 days and I can feel a difference. I do catch myself craving an IPA or some red wine. I notice I drink because it gives me that burst of energized dopamine.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
It is an enjoyable social lubricant in the short-term, but it creates stress and hampers productivity long-term. Main danger of alcohol is not the damage to health etc. but rather you doing something idiotic while drunk that has long-lasting consequences. In a business-related setting, this could be very simple, such as divulging information that is supposed to be confidential.

NakedAmbition

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 3, 2018
I don't think drinking or not drinking is an entrepreneur trait.

Some of the most successful claim to be healthier than most people.

There's so some who have issues with it.

Personally for me, I drink socially and on the weekends.

But I have my limits.

If alcohol is a problem for someone, I say good for them for realizing that. Most people don't before it's too late.

If you notice issues with your drinking habits, cut it out as soon as possible.

Last edited:

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Out of all the substances, I think alcohol is one of the worst to get caught up in addiction wise. In my opinion, a drink here or there when you're out certainly won't hurt.

As long as you're exercising, eating right, sleeping and recovering mentally through rest, hobbies and relationships, I don't see how a drink every week or two would be a devastating thing.

The real problem comes, as with all drugs and substances, in addiction. If you can't function, sleep, produce, or be your self without a substance, theres likely an underlying problem or addiction.

Make no mistake about it, a physiological addiction to alcohol will make your life a living hell - one of the only two substances (the other being benzos) you can die from withdrawals from.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Amen, I fell over once and nearly broke my jaw. I try to be more careful.

Uhh thats tough. I had a similar accident when I was young and wasted, fell down and hit my face against the frame of the bed, needed stitches on eyebrow and right below the eye too. 1cm here or there and would have probably lost my right eye. So yes, need to be careful! :D

I rarely drink now and in my opinion and experience it is more tolerated/promoted by people who are working regular jobs. It's like "What do you mean you dont want to go out and get drunk? It's F*cking friday!" . And people are amazed why I don't hang around anymore.
Not seeing this so much in the entrepreneurial world.

Occasional drink may not be bad though but to each their own and for many people it is better to just cut it out entirely. Alcohol also messes up my sleep and my heart rate goes up so I feel like shit the next morning even after a couple of beers.

Last edited:

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I've met someone who ran a succesful business, and against his religious beliefs, drinks alcohol. Good guy, easy to hang out with, also a father. When his partner screwed up the business, my man told his son to help him instead of sending him to school. I love working under him, because there are thousands of business lessons I gained from.

Unfortunately, he' has to go for regular dialysis now. Wether alcohol contributes to that, I have no idea.

If you read Mark Cuban early days, he never care about hangover the next morning. In fact, he would spend the time to read computer manuals, recovering from the hangover.

As for me, I drink only on occasion. Not like I used to during college. The next day would be hell. It's so hard to concentrate on even one thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.