The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alcohol drinking habits

Anything related to matters of the mind

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
@Xeon your post about people being victims of marketing bugged me. It eliminates the importance of choice. Did those “victims” chose to get in their vehicles, go to a place that has alcohol, ask for it, and swipe their card? How after all of those decisions is this Anheuser Bush’s fault? It isn’t.

It's definitely "Anheuser Bush's" fault, although to be fair, "victims" are not entirely blameless. It's just that with these marketing, it's even harder for the "victims" to "escape".

If these alcohol companies market their beers like boring commodities from the beginning (e.g. toilet papers in Walmart), I doubt as many people would drink. It's very subtle brainwashing. How many times have you watched movies/ads/posters where the suave handsome heroes drink and smoke? When 12-year teenage boys see that, their minds start getting influenced.

1*ZqleGlKzQl7yyI7G6tUSGg.png

How cool and badass, I want to be like him! All I need is Marlboro right?

Bond.jpg

The classic Hollywood chad with alcohol. Imagine how much less manly he looks without that thing in his left hand (the hand with the ring).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I still find there isn't much to do here though.
It's a whole island of amazing places and 7 million people. Many of them don't drink.

I'm reminded of when I was in my party phase in London and got my first motor bike. Overnight I stopped partying. I was obsessed with the bike and went out every evening straight from work for hours, and got up early at the weekend to head out before traffic built up.

I didn't even go out with anyone else. Just me and the bike.

I got to know a few more bikers in work. I never knew they existed because they were never down the pub after work.

What are you into? I'm sure there's local groups of people doing that.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
I can't find it now, but there's a chart out there showing alcohol consumption for startups. I followed it faithfully, even before seeing it.

New rule of thumb: I never take a drink when I need one.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Main danger of alcohol is not the damage to health etc. but rather you doing something idiotic while drunk that has long-lasting consequences.
Amen, I fell over once and nearly broke my jaw. I try to be more careful.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Had one of the worst days of my year today, and have to admit, a beer made me feel a hell of a lot better.

As Krusty the clown would say... Everything's gonna be ooooooookkkkkkkkkk.... :happy:

I would be embarrassed to be seen drunk these days though. I feel like alcohol is becoming a bit stigmatized and pathetic looking, much like cigarettes.

I would feel a bit lame to go on a date and drink water though.
be it as it is really not tyhough jsut what you said yourself, probably.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
Here is a great podcast on alcohol by Andrew Huberman.

Alcohol, even just "one" a day or "one" a week, affects neuroplasticity. In other words it basically keeps you from changing yourself. Yup.

So if you are depressed or have anxiety. Good luck changing as long as you gulp down those 7% ABV Hazy IPAs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS1pkKpILY
Is this actually true??? How severe are the implications?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hey everyone, quite new to the forum here, so thought I would share some of my experience.

Over the past years I have worked with 3 different global corporate companies in 4 different countries, and I have witnessed that drinking alcohol was the main activity that me and my work colleagues used to do in order to relieve the stress associated with work, sometimes even daily, which further developed my alcohol addiction.

As I'm starting with my entrepreneurial journey right now, I'm just wondering if you have noticed similar alcohol drinking patterns in the entrepreneurial world. Do you feel like drinking alcohol is accepted and even promoted amongst entrepreneurs?

P.S. I understand this is a very sensitive topic, so feel free to DM me in case you don't want to discuss it in the comment section.
Alcohol and tobacco are in the same category. There is no such thing as moderation. Having none of them is still better than sometimes.

Alessandros

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 3, 2021
Germany
Don't drink because most of the people drink.
You could drink a Cola or Pepsi instead. There is perhaps too much sugar in it, but no alcohol; and the taste may be better.

You could argue that you have to support your Cola or Pepsi shares, if you have some.

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland
I drank with my friends few years ago to be less stressed but only what I got was more stress. I'm missing something or we just drank low quality alcohol?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You could drink a Cola or Pepsi instead. There is perhaps too much sugar in it, but no alcohol; and the taste may be better.

You could argue that you have to support your Cola or Pepsi shares, if you have some.
There is always the option of coke zero.

While there is uncertain risk about preservatives in coke zero, it is still much better than guaranteed sugar content in coke classic.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My stepmother has struggled with alcoholism her whole life which started when she went through an insane amount of domestic violence over a 20 year period before she met my Dad.

She's not a retard, you're just an a**hole.
Not mutually exclusive, both are true.

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
I would also like to add cannabis to that list of never touch drugs if you value your brain.

Watch Hubermans episode on weed and brain health and I can assure you that you will never consider putting that chemical in your brain.

I used to think weed was pretty benign and harmless. Maybe 30 years ago it was different but this super high thc content frankenweed out now and especially these pure thc concentrates and vape carts will really do a number on your brain and could potentially cause permanent damage.

I think we are setting up our society to have a bunch a highly addicted people in a few years since the high school kids seem to really love these thc vape carts.

The amount of damage being done to these developing brains in truly staggering.
I knew the Canadian Prime Minister was up to something!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.