The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Aff Methods

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
So, I got to thinking about this thread, and figured there might be a couple people who have been wanting to do something under the affiliate tab.

Soooo.... maybe a lil give back session is in order, I dunno. Hell, maybe I'll dust off a domain and throw something together depending on where this goes.

A lot of people like the idea of affiliate marketing, but want to feel like they are selling something tangible at the same time. I get ya. Kinda weird when someone asks you about your websites and you can't say..."oh yeah, I run xx-xboxstore.com, check out my stuff."

So do you have to stock inventory? Do you have to dropship?

Not exactly. (note- this whole thread could be summed up in one sentence, but when I was new, people took time to spell shit out in non standard terms)

Something I was gonna mention in sm's thread is variable rate affiliate networks that allow you to select your own pricing structure, or better labeled as, your profit percentage.

Now this is kinda rare, and borderline drop shipping model has some limitations typically set by the company interface and TOS, but it is different. I like different.

In fact I started testing one earlier last week, which is why this is fresh in my mind I suppose. If it works out and they are credible, I'll hook it up.

Then there's the ebay api and amazon. A lot can be done here as well... that makes you feel a bit more tangible anyway. I recently wanted a handbag store and started exploring here. I didn't like the idea of inventory, as I'm not passionate about handbags, nor may it be a lasting market for me. Not because the demand is diminishing, but because I may not like it or how I have to operate in the niche to profit.

I've never been big into drop shipping (this may change), but a lot of my criteria falls under credibility... do I get paid on time, are you reasonable to work with, and so on. I'm not aware of such a company that does not have a decent signup fee.

So a compromise? A little.

So I said to myself, why not do it all under one roof?

eek- time to head out for dinner

I'll have to pick this up some other time. Is there any interest in this at all? Specifics? Aff stores, mashup sites, ebay stores, something else??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Keep talkin'. :)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
yea it's amazing to see what some of the top e-commerce guys on here are selling and making a decent living off of, just goes to show that you need only find a high-demand/low-competition micro-niche that is relevant towards web traffic and then work your web marketing magic :coolgleamA:

At the same time, I remember in another thread you had mentioned making the "mistake" of "chasing the money", IMO, I think it's one of the extremes while the other is "too much focus on details/aesthetics" such as website design and marketing objectives that don't yield results. How have you managed to balance this?

The way I see it, is that you do have to focus on the money, however, you also have to focus on "Why will someone buy from me instead of the other 1000 sites out there?".

Looking forward to seeing what JLH has to say on this as I loved his simple and to the point presentation at B&P where affiliate marketing is three steps: find a problem - create a nice landing page - offer the solution. Seems this simple ideology can be applied to any business, just look at the Snuggie, lol, they created a "problem", had a catchy ad and proposed the solution.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Sheesh I don't know exactly which direction I was headed with that. heh (don't ya hate that!)

First, let's get one thing straight. I'm not a top ecommerce guy, just a piranha swimming with the sharks. ;)

Second, tell me what you want. Instead of me rambling on about yaba doodle web ideas, tell me the direction you would like this to go. This is for you guys, not me.

*I believe I was getting around to explaining a mashup site above (though I mentioned a few other things) where I take a variable rate, generated affiliate store, and fuel it with some auto generated content via ebay, amazon, and other sources. Basically there can be multiple product platforms under one hood. You can use ebay auctions to supply fresh content, all the while promoting your store as well. Some yahoo answers can fit too.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Definitely interested in some more along this line. From a personal perspective I guess the main thing I struggle with is making myself ignore geographical boundaries - which in theory should be simple on the web, right? But I just.. can't seem to do it. Probably not something you can cover in this thread, though, so a bit more info on where you were headed with the ebay as content thing would rock ;)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Geographical boundaries?

So that's it so far for everyone... how to make ebay sites?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
No, i want to know how you get all the women buddy :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Tell them your gay.

hahaha, so that's the secret! Any way continue the lesson here, i just thought i would inject some humor!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Attention deficit affiliate something? or you have a hygiene problem? lol

It's the wedding ring that works for me.

Mtnman, I want to know which med you recommend for ADHA?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Those things are babe magnets... proving that God has a really sick sense of humor ;)

haha very true. I wouldn't use the word babe..... but whatever they are still calling them up north works, haha.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I'll be getting mine August next year!

:heartbeat: :hurray: :blah2: :blush: :smx6::smx4::fryingpan::nono::coolgleamA: ruh roh! hehe

And yes, those tell a story from left to right. :smilielol:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
:heartbeat: :hurray: :blah2: :blush: :smx6::smx4::fryingpan::nono::coolgleamA: ruh roh! hehe

And yes, those tell a story from left to right. :smilielol:

make 6 of those and that's what we've done so far i bet.... been a long road.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
yes, ring == magnet.

Run lighthouse, run....

mtnman, about your question... talk about the APIs, that would be useful if you can explain it in English (every time I start explaining that to people I can see their blank stare at me... so I am not explaining it well).

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

a silly joke about how every 2nd post you make ends with "... I have to run out to dinner"

I'm the same way, I'm sure it's an affiliate marketers disease.

Is there an eBook for this? :p

And let's see- mtnman, JLH, lighthouse and now Andres, looks like a lot of the big eComm guns are here, although I know I am missing someone.

On that note, time to stake my claim- tonight I'm setting up Blog #2, this time based off a keyword phrase with 487 daily searches, 19,900 competing pages and a good chance of reaching first page of Google within a week. Will post more soon on the private forums ;)

Hopefully I can find some good eBooks on clickbank to promote and earn some AdSense revenue while I'm at it :coolgleamA:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I'm feeling a bit guilty for highjacking and pissing all over this post; so while we wait for mtnman to finish dinner and explain APIs and mashups, here is my best advice for affiliate marketing.

This is the formula for success in affiliate marketing:

The "big secret"...buy the affiliate product, put it to work, hammer it until you know it is a good product that will help people...then "review" it...but actually give people the "gems" from your research.

It's essentially an application of the Law Of Reciprocity.

"Give and it shall be given to you."

Provide people with fresh ideas to their problems and they will trust you to the point of sale.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
yes, ring == magnet.

Run lighthouse, run....

mtnman, about your question... talk about the APIs, that would be useful if you can explain it in English (every time I start explaining that to people I can see their blank stare at me... so I am not explaining it well).

Heh, I get the same stare. lol

You want others to get an explanation on how to code an app using an api? That seems a little advanced for this... Hypocritical as well, I'm not a coder and my explanations would be a hack at best. Or just what an api is and how to leverage it?

Spanglish or germanicodeican?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Heh, I get the same stare. lol

You want others to get an explanation on how to code an app using an api? That seems a little advanced for this... Hypocritical as well, I'm not a coder and my explanations would be a hack at best. Or just what an api is and how to leverage it?

Spanglish or germanicodeican?

I have been working on this issue, i start to get partial stares now. Well it actually all depends on what im explaining.

We know dinner is done get back to your explaining, all these people need to know how to use API's and why they are important these days.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...8-designer-handbags-wholesale.html#post107142

^^^this!

Only one guy showed specific interest --about building ebay sites, so I put together a mockup tonight. Depending on the varying experience levels, I'm sure there will be some inquiries about that besides his own.

I'm not really into just generally explaining something, (like what an api is, and why to use it) google can do that for you. Plus I almost always use paid tools for the sake of speed and ability.

Does anyone actually want to "DO" any of this stuff? If so, ask specific questions. What do you need help with?

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Thanks heaps for putting together that example, it certainly helps get a clearer idea of what you meant.

As to is anyone looking to do any of this - yes! But I am still very much in the research & learning phase.

That actually leads me to a good question - do you think it (being affiliate marketing) is an area, as some are, that is worth simply diving in to, and learn on the go once you understand the basic concept, or do you think it is one of those approaches that you really need to do all your learning before you touch anything, so to speak?

Cheers!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
All depends on what you want man. But just like anything, you never really start to learn until you start doing it.

It takes a while to get good at anything. Coming from ZERO web experience, it's taken me a shitload of effort to make a living at this. But I love it, and you can't buy the education I'm getting. (was thinking about this the other day... something like 5500 hrs)

To put this in perspective, I have struggled quite a bit. Call it failures if you may. If you're looking for a quick buck, you may find it for a short while, but it won't be sustainable. Just like anything, you've got to put in the effort to truly make it work.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ok, I will try to take this thread a little deeper based on your example. Some of the answers I think I have some ideas for, but want to hear it from your lips or your fingers so to speak, so here goes-

1. On your handbag site what elements of it are considered part of your on site SEO in anything yet.

2. What plugins/software/ whatever term is correct are you using to accomplish bring over your products to the site?

3. What steps are you taking off site for SEO to move you up in google?

4. What else are you doing with this site that I would not even know enough to ask about?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.