The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice needed on naming my WebApp regarding SEO

Marketing, social media, advertising

Advice to

• Option 1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 3

• Option 4 (see my response)

• Total voters

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
Looking back at my Q1 this year I was sick that I still didn't pursue a business idea.

I was action faking as hard as Elon Musk trolls the internet.

For example, I was reading a lot of books which added even more stuff on my To Do list of other books to read. I read tons of articles which let me add even more stuff on my To Dos List and was skimming endlessly on gold and notable threads.

Anyway, that's hopefully a story for another time.

Today I'm contacting you fellow Fastlane members for my following problem.

I've finally decided to give my best idea a shot and another wonderful thing happened. I came up with even more ideas on scaling or eventually pivoting or even if it totally fails I'll have acquired much valuable experience that I can use somewhere else again.

But I'm getting out of topic again.

Ok now seriously, the thing I need your help for is advising me on naming my new web app.

Without revealing too much information, the name and purpose of the app is a widely used term on the internet.

Now here is my problem:

Before launching this web app I want to make sure that people that search online will stumble upon it. So, therefore, I'd like that thing to climb up in the SEO Rankings. I'm not going to rely on SEO but I don't want to kill it before even starting.

Now since the general name will have a VERY hard time competing with the other results the question remains:

1. Should I still go for this widely used name and hope that the SEO mechanics, in the end, will somehow work out?
  2. Should I just go for a brand name like "UBER" which if you didn't know what it was you would have no idea what it is?
  3. I should think of something similar but not totally the same and create a brand name (similar name but kind of different)
  4. Any other valuable advice coming up from you? Please post below
I know I shouldn't worry too much at this stage with that problem but naming that thing is kind of important for other activities I'm doing parallel and I want to fix this asap.

Thanks in advance for any valuable advice.

Oh and before I leave, I'm going to quote the following "Naming is hard"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
If your goal is something big - use brand name. Besides Diapers.com i don't remember any big website that was generic/keywordish.

If your goal is short term gain, you might do keyword rich domain.
I remember some time ago there was a site We Make Money Not Art
that was ranking high for "make money" which had nothing to do with site's topic. But it doesn't appear anywhere near top 10 right now.

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
All this cloak and dagger stuff makes it a bit difficult to give advice but in general I wouldn't spend too much time on it. There's a ton of people on upwork who specialize in exactly this if you're stuck.

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
If your goal is something big - use brand name. Besides Diapers.com i don't remember any big website that was generic/keywordish.

If your goal is short term gain, you might do keyword rich domain.
I remember some time ago there was a site We Make Money Not Art
that was ranking high for "make money" which had nothing to do with site's topic. But it doesn't appear anywhere near top 10 right now.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

All this cloak and dagger stuff make it a bit difficult to give advice but in general I wouldn't spend too much time on it. There's a ton of people on upwork who specialize in exactly this if you're stuck.

Yeah, I'll try not to worry too much on that part, you're right. Which category of upwork people are you referring too? I guess you mean "brand identity" or similar, right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
I would name it what it does. If you do that, you won't have to waste time educating people on what the name means and you'll do fine w/SEO..you can also always change the name later if it catches on or something changes.

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Yeah, I'll try not to worry too much on that part, you're right. Which category of upwork people are you referring too? I guess you mean "brand identity" or similar, right?

Yah, something like that, I think it's useful to offload that but I'm one of them uncreative types.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.