I came up with a very particular series of children's books that has shown to be an awesome idea. I have made some money from them and taken them to various book events. I have had nothing but positive feedback from parents and children. Everyone loves them so I kept writing them for a total of 6 since November of 2014.
The reason I don't have more is because I am doing everything. I make the covers on photoshop, write them, edit them, format, manage the website, Facebook page, etc. I want to go further with this idea but I am not sure if what I am thinking about doing is the best option for me or not.
A few months ago I went into a large marketing firm to get assistance with the promotion of them and they helped me realize one thing I was doing wrong. For one, as we all know from MJ's book, I was selling them but they were just ordinary books not part of any particular brand I created. So now we came up with a brand name, they suggested that I Trademark the brand name before talking about the concept with anyone too much, so I hired a lawyer to do that. After I get all of the things done they require before starting, they want a hefty fee of $6,000 to start.
My question is, is it a good idea to spend this kind of money right now? I have the money, but am by no means wealthy yet.
The lawyer is 800 dollars for filing and registering the trademark
The marketing firm is 6,000 dollars.
A lot of people have told me that it would be in my best interest to spend that money myself on marketing rather than paying a company to do it for me.
If I were to do that, is Facebook a good avenue to market books? I know that when I had Facebook I never bought anything or even planned on buying anything through the ads on the side.
Really I just need some general advice. CreateSpace prints the books for $2.15 a copy and I sell them for $5.00.
They have ups and downs as far as sales go. When I sell 1 - Within a week I will sell 5 - 10 more I am guessing from the person's friends and family members seeing all the available books in the back.
I know this is long, just any info you guys could give me would be great. As soon as the trademark is filed I will post more info about the books. The marketing company has a lot of really good ideas for them, but again I am not sure if I am heading in the right direction.
The reason I don't have more is because I am doing everything. I make the covers on photoshop, write them, edit them, format, manage the website, Facebook page, etc. I want to go further with this idea but I am not sure if what I am thinking about doing is the best option for me or not.
A few months ago I went into a large marketing firm to get assistance with the promotion of them and they helped me realize one thing I was doing wrong. For one, as we all know from MJ's book, I was selling them but they were just ordinary books not part of any particular brand I created. So now we came up with a brand name, they suggested that I Trademark the brand name before talking about the concept with anyone too much, so I hired a lawyer to do that. After I get all of the things done they require before starting, they want a hefty fee of $6,000 to start.
My question is, is it a good idea to spend this kind of money right now? I have the money, but am by no means wealthy yet.
The lawyer is 800 dollars for filing and registering the trademark
The marketing firm is 6,000 dollars.
A lot of people have told me that it would be in my best interest to spend that money myself on marketing rather than paying a company to do it for me.
If I were to do that, is Facebook a good avenue to market books? I know that when I had Facebook I never bought anything or even planned on buying anything through the ads on the side.
Really I just need some general advice. CreateSpace prints the books for $2.15 a copy and I sell them for $5.00.
They have ups and downs as far as sales go. When I sell 1 - Within a week I will sell 5 - 10 more I am guessing from the person's friends and family members seeing all the available books in the back.
I know this is long, just any info you guys could give me would be great. As soon as the trademark is filed I will post more info about the books. The marketing company has a lot of really good ideas for them, but again I am not sure if I am heading in the right direction.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
