The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Adding 10 new habits at once

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Most people say you have to add one habit at a time. But most people are average. I don’t want to be average. Therefore I’ve decided as a first step in my entrepreneurial journey, I need some better habits.

I’ve clarified my goals and visions and identified 10 specific actions that, if I took them daily, would catapult me in the direction I want to go.

The challenge. To perform 10 actions correctly for 30 days and thereby condition 10 new habits. I’m posting this thread partly to hold myself accountable. At the end of Feb I will check in with the results and if I succeeded.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dawp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Oct 23, 2017
I still think it's 10x easier to start (and keep) one good habit at a time. "Persistence is the key to success"

But.. if you have a lot of free time to prepare and plan everything... maybe then you can make it

Good luck!

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Most people say you have to add one habit at a time. But most people are average. I don’t want to be average. Therefore I’ve decided as a first step in my entrepreneurial journey, I need some better habits.

I’ve clarified my goals and visions and identified 10 specific actions that, if I took them daily, would catapult me in the direction I want to go.

The challenge. To perform 10 actions correctly for 30 days and thereby condition 10 new habits. I’m posting this thread partly to hold myself accountable. At the end of Feb I will check in with the results and if I succeeded.
James Clear's blog has some great advice on habit building. Here's an article about building multiple habits at a time vs mastering just one: The Scientific Argument for Mastering One Thing at a Time

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Saying it straight up, YOU WILL FAIL.

UNLESS!!...

unless they're small enough or you create the right combination.

What I would do is prioritize with energy-related habits. Hit the gym? Eat healthier? Go to bead Earlier? Energy is the no.1 reason habit challenges fail. Fix it now and you may win.

But I don't know what those ten habits are, so...

The trick is to find if one habit can make it easier to execute the next one, and the next one...

The only secret is that they have to have a reason. Don't do vague things such as grateful exercises, read X pages per day, work on a website, message a client. If they aren't 100% needed, you'll drop them right away.

But don't take my word out of it. Take Matt's. He executed 11 Habits perfectly in one year. I think it will help you with whatever habits you are trying to develop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRr9LQ7mZ_A

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Realistically, 10 is too much

First try with First 4 just like a chair has 4 parts.

Try to have less and simple way to make it more efficient

Too much means = It will jack you up like messing up

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I disagree. 10 can be accomplished (depending on what they are of course) but it means a completely fresh start on every level. A clean sweep. Removing all old signals that will draw you back to the person you used to be.

The best way to do that is to move home, community, location. Basically change your entire environment, then only include in your new surroundings that which will propel you forward.
Moving home. Give away your tv and game consoles. Take away all temptations. Find ways to chunk your habits. Goal set, plan and schedule everything until those desired habits are truly engrained.

But it HAS to be a shit or bust scenario or failure is pretty certain. Total commitment to a new start.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England

And they are...

Perhaps if you list the ten you can then let us know which ones you have maintained throughout February.

Dan

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
You already have 3 people who doubt you, prove them wrong @ravenspear. If you abandon this thread for even one day, you're exposed as being average.
I don’t want to be average.
And you don't want to be average.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
You already have 3 people who doubt you, prove them wrong @ravenspear. If you abandon this thread for even one day, you're exposed as being average.

And you don't want to be average.
I think this thread will get lost in the Fastlane graveyard. 4 or 5 updates if we are lucky

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Most people say you have to add one habit at a time.

Most studies on the science of habits and willpower are outdated and failed to be replicated , one study with a click baity headline gets made into a book and enters pop psychology and then everyone thinks its true.

I got the "fabulous" habit app late last year, it uses solid up to date stuff out of duke university. Long story short theres no reason you can't start 10 new habits at once, things to keep in mind...

1.)same time every day, 2.) small celebrations every time you accomplish them, 3.) try to ritualize habits

on point 3 above , lets say you want to floss and are only brushing once daily but want it to be twice, perfect!, the morning "ritual" is now brush and floss and shower (all these things are correlated and happen in the same room, easy peezy) , nighttime brush and floss.

Maybe exercise can go with meditation and come right after a healthy breakfast etc

You want top start linking one habit with another into little rituals and once you've set them in motion long enough not only will it happen without any input from you (autopilot like your driving to work or home) but if you miss one habit from a ritual you'll actually "feel" off.

When you walk into a dark room do you have to summon a bunch of willpower to flip on the light? no, you just do it. Wouldn't you "feel" weird if you wanderd into a dark room and didn't do turn a light on? right.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Fingers crossed! And add eleventh : post to this thread daily!

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
I disagree. 10 can be accomplished (depending on what they are of course) but it means a completely fresh start on every level. A clean sweep. Removing all old signals that will draw you back to the person you used to be.

The best way to do that is to move home, community, location. Basically change your entire environment, then only include in your new surroundings that which will propel you forward.
Moving home. Give away your tv and game consoles. Take away all temptations. Find ways to chunk your habits. Goal set, plan and schedule everything until those desired habits are truly engrained.

But it HAS to be a shit or bust scenario or failure is pretty certain. Total commitment to a new start.

I have been contemplating moving to a new state. That could be the right move for me at this point.

G

Guest24480

At the start of the new year I decided to embark on a similar journey. Granted I was already doing some of these at the end of last year, but with limited success.

The system I set up is a modified version of MJ's kaizen spreadsheet, but color-coded for visual clarity with completion percentages for each day. It's also categorized by the type of habit.

Every night before bed, I fill out MJ's Fastlane Checklist which is also the "plan tmoro" habit in the spreadsheet. I find it helpful to write out the habits and my list of other To Do's for that day that aren't recurring habits. It helps solidify them and closes that reward circuit when you physically cross them off the list.

I carry this list with me in a folder everywhere I go within reason. If not, I snap a picture of it for reference and cross stuff off when I can get to the physical copy. Then at the end of the day, I fire up the spreadsheet and fill everything in digitally so I can map the progress over time.

This is what it looks like so far one month in (blurred out the "bad habits" I'm trying to correct as they are more personal). Green is complete, red is partial or incomplete.

Based on the results here are some of my takeaways:
  • I could have done much better getting my "one thing" done, and it's possible the volume of habits could be getting in the way of that slightly. At the same time, you could argue that overall they are a net gain to productivity.
  • Obviously the first bad habit on the list was my biggest weak point. I have to admit, it's more of an addiction than a bad habit which is why I struggled so hard with it. I'm working to tweak my approach so I can get that nipped in the bud this coming month.
  • I noticed that the more momentum I build around a habit, the easier it is to stick with it. Once I start to get in the red a few days in a row, it becomes harder and harder to bounce back.
To set myself up for success in February, I will be waking up a few hours before work to attack my "one thing" with as much energy as possible. I will also be joining an accountability group for the #1 bad habit that is holding me back right now that I can't seem to kick.

Overall, I would definitely recommend giving this a shot if you want to build a bunch of new habits quickly. It's almost like a game that makes the difficult parts of life a lot more fun.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
In the book Willpower Doesn't Work, the author hammers home the idea that one's environment dictates 99% of their behavior. I totally recommend this book for anyone interested in habits and behavioral psychology.

So, with this in mind, your 10 new habits are totally doable as long as you change your environment to be conducive to your habits.

If you want to change all of your habits but will be in the same environment with the same queues your old habits are triggered by, then there's no way in hell you will achieve this.

With that said, I have faith in you OP. If you are able to complete your mission and acquire 10 new habits by practicing them regularly for an extended period of time, then you are magnificent. But... Then the question becomes, can you maintain these habits without resorting to your old habits?

The reason people suggest doing 1 at a time is that 1 habit held for years is exponentially better than 10 habits held for a short amount of time.

Good luck! Document your journey and learn from the results!

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Well I got 8 for 10 on the first day, and it was definitely a good day.

Let’s see how much further I can take this.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Well I got 8 for 10 on the first day, and it was definitely a good day.

Let’s see how much further I can take this.

What are they? What’s your plan for doing them and making them a habit?

Atomic habits is a good book, the audiobook is only 4.5h, I’ve listened to it a number of times. People say it’s all just stuff from other books and articles but if you haven’t read any other stuff it’s a perfect easy way to cover everything

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
What are they? What’s your plan for doing them and making them a habit?

Atomic habits is a good book, the audiobook is only 4.5h, I’ve listened to it a number of times. People say it’s all just stuff from other books and articles but if you haven’t read any other stuff it’s a perfect easy way to cover everything

Some of them are a bit too personal and I don’t want to go into but I will share 5 of them.

1. Wake up early
2. Strength Training
3. Run
4. Reading
5. Improving cleanliness/organization

My plan for doing them is as I said before, do as many as I can each day for the next month and thus start to condition them into habits.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Fingers crossed! And add eleventh : post to this thread daily!
Yes, I’m going to post how many of the 10 actions I accomplished each day.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
3 of 10. Obviously fell off the wagon a bit today. But I've realized the next key change I have to make is waking up early as that will enable the others. So I'm getting up by 6am tomorrow no matter what.

Came across this quote today and it seemed poignant.

"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war."

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
If they are related or have synergies between them, you might have a chance. Otherwise, I don't think 10 habits at the same time is a realistic number.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
You said you don't want to be average, but average people don't try new habits, at least not the good ones. So if you only stick to one at a time, you will a accomplish more and get better result than rest, if you try 10 and then you fail, you are going to be like almost everyone. In the my opinion of course.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
When you begin your day, you start with a certain amount of will power.
Each task you do that is not a habit and doesn't please you, you consume some will power.

If you believe you're strong-willed go for it. Even if you are unable to maintain consistency in your habits daily, be consistent with some of the habits you set up as your goal. The fact that you're improving will be enough to keep you fired up and going.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
6 of 10 yesterday, still not where it needs to be but at least on an uptrend. Let’s see if I can do even better today.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
eeac79ffb0204fd1009e28eb5548b836.jpg

G

Guest24480

It takes a lot of planning to do what you're trying to do. It took me a month to figure it out so don't sweat it and keep improving your process. It's doable and has made me a better person by a mile. And I'm having fun.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

The only way I know to change and create new habits is to add the desired action to something that you are already doing -- an existing habit. And 10 seems very radical to me. That's a lot of change for anyone. The biggest problem I have is tracking the change to make sure that I'm really consistently doing it. I try to make small changes that add up over time. A lot of times the goal is huge and the supporting habit is very small.

I want to lead a minimalist lifestyle -- like I did in the past -- before my retirement to Alaska, my marriage to a sweet man who has LOTS of stuff, my step-children who now grown and have proudly produced grandchildren -- who come with sea of stuff, the family dog who has toys everywhere and sheds a lot of hair, the death of my parents -- who also had a lot of stuff, my herds of tenants who are always leaving interesting stuff behind that must be dealt with, and all these various parts, pieces, and equipment it takes to run this place. SO, my overall goal to get all of these factors under control is huge. My tiny daily habit to move in that direction is to give away, throw away or clean up just one thing every day. Today I gave a new tenant a collection of cookie cutters that were languishing in my pantry and a bunch of clothes hangers from a closet at one of the rentals. (Her kids should be moving in with her by the end of the week and she can use those items. ) And, in my daily notes, I will write down that small win. Think about it. Part of this daily win is for my personal space and part is for the rental business. Just one win per day over 365 days in a year can add up to truckloads of stuff that are no longer part of my world.

And that's just one of my goals, with the necessary small habit, that I'm working on right now. I'm not trying to reinvent myself totally -- just tweak my life a little bit to make it more comfortable. Oh... and I'm not average -- just realistic. I don't set myself up to fail. Doing one thing right consistently over a protracted period of time creating a new habit trumps doing 10 things in a flurry only one time.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
When you begin your day, you start with a certain amount of will power.
Each task you do that is not a habit and doesn't please you, you consume some will power.

This is a bullshit theory based on a bullshit study.

Look up the studies this theory is based on. All bullshit.

Doing things allows you to build work ethic and do more things. Anyone that says different is a simp.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is a bullshit theory based on a bullshit study.

Look up the studies this theory is based on. All bullshit.

Doing things allows you to build work ethic and do more things. Anyone that says different is a simp.
I have seen and read about a lot of studies... and there are more than one... How have you experienced this aspect of your energy flows? I know I get tired after doing difficult stuff and it's harder to keep my resolve and my schedule later in the day. Do you ever find that to be true for you?

It's interesting that you are talking about "work ethic and do more things." There's also a matter of pacing, your natural bio-rhythm, and planning tasks so you can work smart. When you get really good at any task or skill, you can work everyone around you into the ground -- all while making it look easy.

I know a lot about hard work and long hours... BUT I want all that work and time to really count by showing great progress.

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa
You can do it, if some of them are small enough.
I am going to follow your lead - a few things are taking too long because of the habits not being there.

ultraworking has a system where they include various habits and throw the ones that doesn’t gel out weekly - otherwise it pulls down the whole train of momentum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.