• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Action Faker to Action Taker

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by bytecode, Oct 23, 2018.

1. bytecode

bytecode Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $172
    Pomodoros 11

Okay, so I'm still averaging 12 a day. Not consistently doing 12, but consistently doing close to 12.

Thanks for the tips, Walter. I'm sure there's a thread on here about that. I'll look into it tomorrow. I really do appreciate the advice.

Also came at a really good time since I'm looking ahead in the next couple days and am about to run out of things to do. But no more!

2. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,391
    So do you have your own product?

3. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Hi @bytecode how long are your pomodoros/breaks?

I'm currently doing 25/5, but I might increase it to 45/10. For coding, sometimes I feel that 25 is a bit short (depending on the task).

Also, probably a stupid question, but do you ladies and gents count the short breaks when tracking time? I mean, using 25/5 pomodoros, do you track 25 min * 4 every 4 pomodoros, or (25 + 5) * 4? I'm currently tracking the short breaks as work, as they are only 5 minutes, but not tracking the long ones (15-20 minutes every 4 pomodoros, as recommended by its creator). This way I track 2 hours of work for 4 pomodoros, then nothing for 15-20 minutes of long break, then another 2 hours, and so on.

I just wonder how this fits into a daily 9-5 (or whatever) routine, and how working on your business can make you feel like those 8 hours have to be effective pomodoro time, excluding all breaks (also the short ones). That would mean that, to achieve 8 hours of work a day, you'd need around 19 pomodoros + 1.5h for short breaks + another 4 long breaks of 15-20 minutes. That's 10.5-11 hours in total to get 8 hours of work done.

Maybe the thick is to avoid following the standard pomodoro schedule, and find one that works for you and maximises your productivity.

4. MoneyPhantom

MoneyPhantom Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $294
    What holds you back from doing as many pomodoros a day as you can? I think it's more about being a 100% focused during that 25/45 minutes than reaching as many as possible. This also answers your question about the bathroom breaks. They should be done during the breaks, as well as gathering water, coffee, whatsoever. The 15-20 minutes would feature as a lunch break.

I dare to say that the regular 9-to-5 office worker doesn't work more than 2-3 productive hours a day, so even reaching 8 hours of pomodoros including the breaks already is a great improvement.

srodrigo likes this.
  5. srodrigo

srodrigo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $62
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I still have that mindset of working a daily job (say a minimum of 8 hours a day), and it's taking me some time to change it now that I have all day to work on my things (even if I do stuff almost every single day).

This also arose from the need of tracking all the time I spend working. I think this is important when you work on your own. I'm quite used to make estimates in hours/days in a normal Mon-Fri job, so I need to rethink this a little bit, but using pomodoros it's still possible.

I'll start counting quality pomodoros from now.