The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Acquiring new passport, second citizenship

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Hello,

Let's discuss how to acquire new passports, citizenship. I am from third world country and looking to migrate somewhere else.

Which countries easiest to migrate and get citizenship by naturalization? Is there any posts related in Fastlane INSIDERS?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Hello,

Let's discuss how to acquire new passports, citizenship. I am from third world country and looking to migrate somewhere else.

Which countries easiest to migrate and get citizenship by naturalization? Is there any posts related in Fastlane INSIDERS?
The Carribean countries are a good backup. St. Kitts and Nevis starts at $100K and 3-6 months. It will allow to travel to the west and other places easier due to more visa free travel agreements.
Cyprus, Malta, Portugal are good ones to have.

Togata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 22, 2021
Pretty broad question. Where do you want to go, and what do you want to do? Also, how much money do you care to spend on this endeavor?
That's the big question.

There are a lot of YouTubers who went from dropship guru to passport guru and offshore banking.
Is this the new gold rush?

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Pretty broad question. Where do you want to go, and what do you want to do? Also, how much money do you care to spend on this endeavor?
I am considering Australia since its not very far from my home country.

I want to start business in another country and I am willing to spend $40K. I am not rich dude haha

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Unless you're a skilled migrant or have lots of money it's extremely difficult. Most tier 1 countries will not be easy.

I want to start business in another country and I am willing to spend $40K. I am not rich dude haha

You can acquire a second passport through a few different ways. From Sovereign Man's article:

1. Ancestry - If you are lucky enough to have ancestors from the right country, you may be eligible for an almost FREE second citizenship by descent
2. Time - After you live in a country long enough, you can become eligible for a second passport through naturalization
3. Money - This involves taking advantage of a citizenship by investment program to legally buy citizenship and acquire a second passport.
4. Flexibility - These are unconventional ways to get a second passport such as giving birth in a foreign country, marrying a foreign citizen or even changing your religion...

Money is not an option for you so you have three options left (and most likely two as ancestry is a rare option).

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Unless you're a skilled migrant or have lots of money it's extremely difficult. Most tier 1 countries will not be easy.

You can acquire a second passport through a few different ways. From Sovereign Man's article:

Money is not an option for you so you have three options left (and most likely two as ancestry is a rare option).
Thanks a lot brother.

I am skilled professional and can give a shot to Skilled independent visa (points system). But I heard in reality, their point system is very hard to get. I was in Australia for a visit and asked some few expats there. Most of expats outside Australia are waiting to get that visa and they have lot of points (160 points).

Another option I was thinking is to study in another country, spend some time living there and apply for citizenship after 5 years or so. Which country would be good for study and get citizenship (naturalization)?

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022

With $40K it limits your options to permanent residency and you can upgrade to citizenship later.

- You can put $5K in a Bank in Paraguay, visit for a couple weeks, three years later you can get citizenship there and access to MERCOSUR without even a passport (only ID cart).
- Friendly nations visa Panama ($5K in a bank).
- Costa Rica (Nomad visa or retirement visa).
- Thailand (Elite visa).
- Bermuda digital nomad visa (high COL here).

None of these would get you citizenship quickly (as in instantly). But you can become one in as little as 3 years. Panama is harder on the list than the others.

Also:

Take some of the money and hire someone to look into your family tree. There are certain countries where if you can prove even one relative is from there you can get a citizenship instantly and for free.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
- You can put $5K in a Bank in Paraguay, visit for a couple weeks, three years later you can get citizenship there and access to MERCOSUR without even a passport (only ID cart).

That's in theory. In reality no foreigners who do that will get a citizenship in Paraguay. Even if you live there there's a chance your application will get rejected for some reason, let alone if you DON'T live there as you're supposed to.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
That's in theory. In reality no foreigners who do that will get a citizenship in Paraguay. Even if you live there there's a chance your application will get rejected for some reason, let alone if you DON'T live there as you're supposed to.
This is true in a lot of countries. You can solve this pretty easily by becoming a member of the community wherever you go. Find local charities volunteer, become a member of art organizations, open a local biz and hire locals + pay well. The thing is, a lot of these countries are pretty small. Having a bit of cash makes it easy to make friends in high places.
Most of those couldn't be my primary location for residency or citizenship, but backup options as an insurance policy.

If he currently has a tier 3 passport, getting any permanent residency in a tier 2 is a great next move.

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
With $40K it limits your options to permanent residency and you can upgrade to citizenship later.

- Thailand (Elite visa).

None of these would get you citizenship quickly (as in instantly). But you can become one in as little as 3 years. Panama is harder on the list than the others.

Also:

Take some of the money and hire someone to look into your family tree. There are certain countries where if you can prove even one relative is from there you can get a citizenship instantly and for free.
Yea mate, youre correct.

It really limit my options and I should just aim for permanent residency first. then, upgrade to citizenship later.
I need to choose right PR to get citizenship. Some countries are easy to get PR but its very hard for citizenship. For example, Singapore and Thailand.

I currently living in sg but holding the worst passport in the world which is Myanmar (was Burma). That makes me more difficult. In past few days, was researching about the countries which u mentioned. Paraguay only accept non visa needed countries to put 5K in their bank, otherwise, need to invest high amount. My country is not in the list either. Same as Panama. They only allow friendly nations like US, Aus, UK, SG etc.

Having headaches with these current situations. It seems like I have nowhere to go. My home country, Myanmar is going same way as Sri Lanka and there's military coup. Democracy lost and only dictatorship is happening.

Thanks a lot for your responses, god bless, Brothers.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Yea mate, youre correct.

It really limit my options and I should just aim for permanent residency first. then, upgrade to citizenship later.
I need to choose right PR to get citizenship. Some countries are easy to get PR but its very hard for citizenship. For example, Singapore and Thailand.

I currently living in sg but holding the worst passport in the world which is Myanmar (was Burma). That makes me more difficult. In past few days, was researching about the countries which u mentioned. Paraguay only accept non visa needed countries to put 5K in their bank, otherwise, need to invest high amount. My country is not in the list either. Same as Panama. They only allow friendly nations like US, Aus, UK, SG etc.

Having headaches with these current situations. It seems like I have nowhere to go. My home country, Myanmar is going same way as Sri Lanka and there's military coup. Democracy lost and only dictatorship is happening.

You want something now:
- Brazil has some non traditional ways of getting citizenship and can be fast. There are features that make Brazil very attractive for citizenship.
- Canada startup visa (you have enough cash).
- France (If you can learn French). If you go to a University there you can get the citizenship in 2/3 years.
- Ecuador (Should $40K investment)
- Time in Ireland counts in a cumulative way. You can work towards the citizenship sort of.

You wait and stay where you are, bank up cash:
- Carribean CBI (fast and your current passport will work for this). Save up and lock in a T2 passport. That way if something happens to Myanmar (with regards to the current political situation) you are still able to travel on your CBI passport and open bank accounts abroad.
- UAE / UK PR (investor visa for both, real estate is included).
- Live in a British Overseas territory that will let you get a passport (most 5 years).

Yea mate, youre correct.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
Hello, I'm new to business and I'm still quite broke, so I'm probably not the most qualified to answer this.

But I am from a developing country also wanting to move to a tier 1 country, and for the past 2-3 years before stumbling upon MJ's books, I've read/listened to plenty of immigration stories to many different countries.

Whatever reason on why you want to move to a specific country, the fact that that country would be extremely difficult to move to, shouldn't make you "settle for less" in another country IMHO (because you only live once), unless that's not strictly your choice.

The most common method I've seen for young people without much money is that the person first does research whether the country offers a "post-graduation work permit", Canada being a perfect example. Most developed countries should offer this, so I'm very sure Australia also have this (since I had IRL friends which I heard were doing this). Basically, if you don't mind investing a few years into an affordable "work permit-approved" university in the country, you can study a needed degree there, graduate then find a job there while your work permit is being processed (possible in Canada, not sure about Australia). After landing a job, just work for 2-3 years and you should be eligible for permanent residency, if I am not mistaken.

If it turns out the country does not offer this kind of visa, you can still go ahead and study in an affordable university there, then focus on building strong social connections with other students that might be potential business partners, maybe take advantage of the internships as well and build connections there too. Right before you graduate, you want to look for job opportunities from those connections, and the employer is more likely to be happy to do the work permit paperwork for you (this part is somewhat of a gamble)

With only 40k to be spent, I think your subgoal is to earn a work permit at the moment. I hope this helps!

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
shouldn't make you "settle for less" in another country IMHO (because you only live once), unless that's not strictly your choice.
I don't necessarily agree with this. You should think of passports like a portfolio. The goal isn't to have one solution. The goal should be to have a cohesive collection of passports, residencies, businesses etc. Even if you have several T1 passports, having a T2 in your backpocket is a good idea. The passports should complement each-other.
Every country has its good and bad, by diversifying across many countries you get the best of both worlds.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Marriage is by far the easiest way. You have funds. Find the right person in need. With 40 k you will be able to pick any citizenship you like.
Could be on the way to prison too.

Losing everything when you are invested in the country is far worst than not being accepted in the first place.

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Hello, I'm new to business and I'm still quite broke, so I'm probably not the most qualified to answer this.

But I am from a developing country also wanting to move to a tier 1 country, and for the past 2-3 years before stumbling upon MJ's books, I've read/listened to plenty of immigration stories to many different countries.

Whatever reason on why you want to move to a specific country, the fact that that country would be extremely difficult to move to, shouldn't make you "settle for less" in another country IMHO (because you only live once), unless that's not strictly your choice.

The most common method I've seen for young people without much money is that the person first does research whether the country offers a "post-graduation work permit", Canada being a perfect example. Most developed countries should offer this, so I'm very sure Australia also have this (since I had IRL friends which I heard were doing this). Basically, if you don't mind investing a few years into an affordable "work permit-approved" university in the country, you can study a needed degree there, graduate then find a job there while your work permit is being processed (possible in Canada, not sure about Australia). After landing a job, just work for 2-3 years and you should be eligible for permanent residency, if I am not mistaken.

If it turns out the country does not offer this kind of visa, you can still go ahead and study in an affordable university there, then focus on building strong social connections with other students that might be potential business partners, maybe take advantage of the internships as well and build connections there too. Right before you graduate, you want to look for job opportunities from those connections, and the employer is more likely to be happy to do the work permit paperwork for you (this part is somewhat of a gamble)

With only 40k to be spent, I think your subgoal is to earn a work permit at the moment. I hope this helps!
Thats also good plan. I have researched Australian unis offer post grad diploma or certificate. Their cost around A$20K-40K and the course duration is 6 month or 1 year. But it cannot satisfy their post grad work permit visa. Because their post grad visa is only eligible to people who studied full time for 2 years like MBA. MBA in australia is also expensive (compared to UK), it cost around A$60K to A$100K.

Currently, aussie govt allow all international students to work unlimited hours. But I believe this is just temporary due to COVID19. They might not allow in next few months or next year.

The thing is I need to work SLOWLANE job for few more years there and I cannot start business in Australia with their visas. :(

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
I don't necessarily agree with this. You should think of passports like a portfolio. The goal isn't to have one solution. The goal should be to have a cohesive collection of passports, residencies, businesses etc. Even if you have several T1 passports, having a T2 in your backpocket is a good idea. The passports should complement each-other.
Every country has its good and bad, by diversifying across many countries you get the best of both worlds.
Exactly!!

You can escape the MATRIX with multiple residencies, businesses, bank accounts in different countries etc. No government can control you.

Watch Andrew Tate video on YouTube, I agree with what he said. Currently, my situation is fcked up coz I have no options. I have only one dictator government.

Togata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 22, 2021
@ericaung Instead of saving 100K and 40K for an MBA in Australia, why not save $100K and buy a passport from caraïbian countries with a direct donation to their government?
Countries like Antigua, St Lucia ect... have great passports.

just my 2 cents.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

- Thailand (Elite visa).

Also:

This is mostly bad info.

You can get residency in Paraguay with a $5k deposit. And you can apply for citizenship after 3 years. But getting citizenship is a lot different than applying. Firstly you need to live full time in Paraguay for those 3 years or the migration office will never approve citizenship. Secondly, it takes 1-2 years minimum for your citizenship application to be approved and you need to remain in the country during the approval process, so in reality if everything works perfectly, about 5 years. if...

Panama only offers the FNV to people from about 50 countries and as of August 2021, you need to invest $150K in property to apply. And you can apply for citizenship after 5 years after your permanent residency is approved. Same like Paraguay, you need to actually live there to qualify and total time is around 7 years.

In Costa Rica you would never qualify for citizenship thru naturalization if you are under their digital nomad visa.

in Thailand you cannot get citizenship unless you were born there.

In Bermuda you cannot get citizenship if you are on the digital nomad visa.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
This is mostly bad info.

You can get residency in Paraguay with a $5k deposit. And you can apply for citizenship after 3 years. But getting citizenship is a lot different than applying. Firstly you need to live full time in Paraguay for those 3 years or the migration office will never approve citizenship. Secondly, it takes 1-2 years minimum for your citizenship application to be approved and you need to remain in the country during the approval process, so in reality if everything works perfectly, about 5 years. if...

Panama only offers the FNV to people from about 50 countries and as of August 2021, you need to invest $150K in property to apply. And you can apply for citizenship after 5 years after your permanent residency is approved. Same like Paraguay, you need to actually live there to qualify and total time is around 7 years.

In Costa Rica you would never qualify for citizenship thru naturalization if you are under their digital nomad visa.

in Thailand you cannot get citizenship unless you were born there.

In Bermuda you cannot get citizenship if you are on the digital nomad visa.
Yeah but if you are in a tier 3 country that has a civil war, who cares if you can't get citizenship for a few years. You need to get out with your life right? Open multiple options for residency and work towards citizenship for the long run. For citizenship in Paraguay I did address that above, and there are people that can get it done for you fairly easily. Paraguay was ran by one political party for a long time, making friends in high places with a bit of cash is easy. Same applies for many other places.

Any of those options gives you place to live for a bit, make some cash and acquire better options (including more permanent options for citizenship).

Example: Go to Paraguay / Ecuador / Thailand ASAP, you can stay there and run your business from there. Use cash to acquire more residency permits / citizenship.

The other option I can think of would be to move to another tier 3 country but one with better business prospects (fast growing market).

I'm curious what you would suggest on a budget of $40K?

Last edited:

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Yeah but if you are in a tier 3 country that has a civil war, who cares if you can't get citizenship for a few years. You need to get out with your life right?
Because that was the OP's question.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
To obtain a second citizenship you have a few general options:
  • citizenship thru ancestry
  • citizenship thru naturalization
  • citizenship thru investment
Ancestry is normally your best option if you can prove it and you meet the requirements of the country. It is your cheapest and quickest option, but not that easy.

Naturalization is likely the OP's only option considering the financial constraints. And oftentimes this is a better option that investment since you can more readily obtain a 1st tier passport. But this one takes time, cultural integration, learning the language, etc. It is your cheapest and easiest option, but not quick.

Investment is most likely not an option for the OP since any decent option starts at around $200k. There are some lower cost options like Comoros Islands or Vanuatu, but those are nearly worthless passports. There are much pricier options as well into the millions, but if you are looking for the best bang for the buck here, St Kitts is still the best option. This is your easiest and quickest option, but not cheap.

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Yeah but if you are in a tier 3 country that has a civil war, who cares if you can't get citizenship for a few years. You need to get out with your life right? Open multiple options for residency and work towards citizenship for the long run. For citizenship in Paraguay I did address that above, and there are people that can get it done for you fairly easily. Paraguay was ran by one political party for a long time, making friends in high places with a bit of cash is easy. Same applies for many other places.

Any of those options gives you place to live for a bit, make some cash and acquire better options (including more permanent options for citizenship).

Example: Go to Paraguay / Ecuador / Thailand ASAP, you can stay there and run your business from there. Use cash to acquire more residency permits / citizenship.

The other option I can think of would be to move to another tier 3 country but one with better business prospects (fast growing market).

I'm curious what you would suggest on a budget of $40K?
Thanks, I am considering to go Paraguay and start business there.

In thailand, you cant own company as foreigner because you need some locals as director or share owners.

I am thinking Argentina as well. It offers fastest route to citizenship after just 2 years. Considering to take spanish language course and get student visa for 1 year. Then extend it to another 1 more year to qualify requirement. Have you guys know/heard anything about Argentina Citizenship?

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
In thailand, you cant own company as foreigner because you need some locals as director or share owners.
This is true but look into the freezones in Thailand which allow full foreign ownership.

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
This is true but look into the freezones in Thailand which allow full foreign ownership.
I cant find that info online. Where did u get it? Were u talking about Dubai?

I was in Bangkok last month and asked few people who living there. They said I cannot own 100% company but can apply for their residency program SMART there.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
I cant find that info online. Where did u get it? Were u talking about Dubai?

I was in Bangkok last month and asked few people who living there. They said I cannot own 100% company but can apply for their residency program SMART there.
Many countries have free trade zones (even China for example). Freezones have tax advantages and allow for more options for foreign ownership (usually 100%).
In Thailand there are many freezones - all have full foreign ownership available.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You could just come to Germany and throw away your old passport. Worked for millions of immigrants in the last few years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.