The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accepting credit card payments on your site

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Hi Guys,

Looking to accept credit card payments through my Wordpress website. Is subscription based (monthly fees), and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for an online credit card processor? Any experience with collecting money payments via credit card?

Any advice is appreciate, thanks guys :)

Myron

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
If you're going to be hosting the payments on your site (not recommended) you need a SSL certificate so that the connection cannot be snipped and info stolen..

You're much better sending users to paypal page to make payment/setup recurring payments.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Have a look at Stripe (https://stripe.com/), its neat, slick, easy to implement and there's some nice plugins/scripts available at places like Codecanyon to make your life easier. Stripe allows single or subscription billing, and they wire your money every week. No cost to set it up either. If you are using Stripe you don't even need SSL on your own url, although it would be a good idea from the perspective of customer peace of mind.

Nice example of WP stripe plugin that supports single or subscription billing: http://codecanyon.net/item/wp-full-stripe/5266365

Only downside is i think you have to be US/CA/UK only right now to open an account (you can take payments worldwide though).

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
If you're going to be hosting the payments on your site (not recommended) you need a SSL certificate so that the connection cannot be snipped and info stolen..

You're much better sending users to paypal page to make payment/setup recurring payments.

Isn't an SSL certificate pretty cheap

Came across this article few days ago.

http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/aspnetecommerce/aspnetecommerce.asp

It has some good info on you want to do.

Will take a look at this, thanks for the link

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Have a look at Stripe (https://stripe.com/), its neat, slick, easy to implement and there's some nice plugins/scripts available at places like Codecanyon to make your life easier. Stripe allows single or subscription billing, and they wire your money every week. No cost to set it up either. If you are using Stripe you don't even need SSL on your own url, although it would be a good idea from the perspective of customer peace of mind.

Nice example of WP stripe plugin that supports single or subscription billing: http://codecanyon.net/item/wp-full-stripe/5266365

Only downside is i think you have to be US/CA/UK only right now to open an account (you can take payments worldwide though).
This looks perfect, thanks a ton for this!! Appreciate it

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Excellent. It's the best thing out right now.. just has a 7 day wait time for funds to deposit from initial purchase but that's a minor compared to advantages.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Excellent. It's the best thing out right now.. just has a 7 day wait time for funds to deposit from initial purchase but that's a minor compared to advantages.

Great stuff.

Do you use a WordPress site with Stripe?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Darius, what if you are dealing with different "tiers" of subscriptions (say I have cool subscription, ultra subscription, and mega subscription) Is there any easy way with PayPal to let customers choose which they like? Is there any way to customize an order from the PayPal button, say, change the item's color? I am about to get the button on my site.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Darius, what if you are dealing with different "tiers" of subscriptions (say I have cool subscription, ultra subscription, and mega subscription) Is there any easy way with PayPal to let customers choose which they like? Is there any way to customize an order from the PayPal button, say, change the item's color? I am about to get the button on my site.

I'm no Paypal master but I would expect that you can change the button color.

Since you have more than 1 subscription, I say go with
woocommerce (FREE) - http://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce/
Subscription Plugin ($199) - http://www.woothemes.com/products/woocommerce-subscriptions
Stripe (FREE) - https://stripe.com/
Stripe Plugin ($79) - http://www.woothemes.com/products/stripe/

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
One more thing,

I know with Paypal you can't collect information (only first and last name), but is there any other processors where you can essentially have a database of your client's information? Like name, address, email address, phone number etc.?

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
One more thing,

I know with Paypal you can't collect information (only first and last name), but is there any other processors where you can essentially have a database of your client's information? Like name, address, email address, phone number etc.?

Or how can I get the process to go like this (on my Wordpress site)?

1. Client clicks "SIGN UP NOW" button

2.Goes to registration page where client enters in details (name, address, email, phone etc.) and selects package type (silver -$50/mo, gold $100/mo, platinum $150/mo), clicks "NEXT" and all this gets saved in my database (whether on Wordpress or whereever)

3.Goes to Paypal where they enter their creditcard information, they get an invoice and BOOM, done.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Or how can I get the process to go like this (on my Wordpress site)?

1. Client clicks "SIGN UP NOW" button

2.Goes to registration page where client enters in details (name, address, email, phone etc.) and selects package type (silver -$50/mo, gold $100/mo, platinum $150/mo), clicks "NEXT" and all this gets saved in my database (whether on Wordpress or whereever)

3.Goes to Paypal where they enter their creditcard information, they get an invoice and BOOM, done.

Bump! :)

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
It really depends on the amount of sales you expect to make. At first keep it very simple and start with Paypal.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Your membership plugin will dictate what payment processing will be supported. There are many, but I have used Amember (www.amember.com) and like it. It allows various subscription levels and supports many payment methods. If most of your client base is US, paypal is hard to beat. If you want to get your percentages down, you will need to get a credit card processing account with Flagship or @zen******* is starting one as well, then utilize Authorize.net or similar service to actually process the transaction.

Isn't an SSL certificate pretty cheap
under a $100/year, but putting credit card data on your site with the questions that you are asking is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

englandrm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 5, 2014
Buffalo
No need for the market or anything, but can you get a bit more specific on what your site is? It's subscription based, so is it a membership site? You have different levels of subscription, so I think it would be worth building that into your site. You can restrict certain areas based on their level, and have all of their information in spreadsheet format.

The most popular membership plugin I know of is Wishlist Member ($100). http://member.wishlistproducts.com/ It doesn't appear to work with Stripe, but it has all the other popular payment gateways built in.

>

If you just want something up quick, go to Paypal. Setup an account, and you can create "buy" buttons right there. They can be one time, multipayment or subscription based.

I think they charge 2.9% + 30 cents, which isn't bad. You can get a mastercard card through them and a card swipe addon for your phone/tablet; allowing you to take credit cards in person.

If you can get a bit more specific of just the process you want people to go through (signups, access, free trials, etc), I might be able to point you in a better direction.

Hope that helps. ~englandrm

englandrm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 5, 2014
Buffalo
Whats wrong with paypal?

As long as you're doing things above the board, Paypal is a great option. It's what I use for all of my sites, client payments and is actually my main choice for spending when I'm out.

If you're breaking the rules, they can ban you, hold your money for 6 months and I'm sure there's plenty of other consequences that I don't know about. There's tons of "horror" stories around the internet, but you can see mostly where everyone messed up.

So it's quick and easy to setup, so I recommend starting with it. If you plan on building things out for the long term, you can figure out other payment methods that match your business better.

peacemaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
May 6, 2013

Hey,

I actually created the CodeCanyon item you linked so thanks a lot for the shout out :) Stripe is really cool and a LOT more flexible than PayPal. In fact, you never hear of anything similar to all the PayPal style horror stories (holding your money back etc.) when using Stripe. I created the WP Full Stripe plugin for people like you guys as I'm an entrepreneur myself. I loved the book and it gave me inspiration to get out there and create and sell.

Thanks guys,

Ja

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Hey,

I actually created the CodeCanyon item you linked so thanks a lot for the shout out :) Stripe is really cool and a LOT more flexible than PayPal. In fact, you never hear of anything similar to all the PayPal style horror stories (holding your money back etc.) when using Stripe. I created the WP Full Stripe plugin for people like you guys as I'm an entrepreneur myself. I loved the book and it gave me inspiration to get out there and create and sell.

Thanks guys,

Ja

Haha, cool, small world :) Nice job, its a real nice plugin!

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies guys, goldmine of information.

I have a client agreement I want to slide in the payment process, any tips or advice on this?

Would be amazing if there was an "I Agree" button, and it should record the time, IP
address, account number, etc, of the clicker.

Thanks again for everything guys, amazing input, really appreciate it:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.