The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A video game to prepare for coding interviews

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I had this idea to build a video game (as a solo developer) that would have in game coding challenges.

Initially it seemed like a good idea but after the initial excitement wore off, I started to see some serious flaws. I'm mainly writing this to get my thoughts out and would appreciate any feedback (ie are these concerns valid, are there solutions, etc.).

As I practice coding interview questions myself, I increasingly have come to the realization that the joy is in solving the problem itself.

I came up with the game idea thinking that the elements of the game (graphics, storyline, music, etc.) would keep the player going but the type of player who cares about those things is also the type who would be unlikely to play the game.

If a game like this existed, I would definitely try it or I could just watch a youtuber run through it.

In other words, as I practice more coding interview questions, the coding interview question itself seems like enough of a game and the idea of enclosing it as a puzzle inside an actual game is starting to seem like a bad idea.

The other issue with this project is that it would take me months, possibly years to finish and with little feedback or customers before then.

So I've decided to move on and find something else where there will be a more clear need and on which I could execute more quickly. Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
Well, I don’t know where you are. But have you considered Steam Greenlight? It’s a platform where you can share your game concept. The best feedback is market feedback. If it gets enough votes, you can publish on Steam and get paying users. This will fund your development.

You gotta get out there and find your target market for feedback.

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

There are a few games like this already in existance (e.g., Code Wars). However, Idk how well they do in the market. I' assume that if someone took the time to build out a game as robust as Code Wars, they had someone do the market research beforehand to determine if it was a profitable opportunity (but you know what they say about assumptions).

Anyway, go with your gut. If you're only changing directions because of effort, that seems like a subpar justification to switch directions. But if you are weary of the risk of it being a flop, you can either do your own market research to confirm or deny that worry, or say to hell with it and back to the drawing board.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.