The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Real Estate story . . .

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, this story may seem a bit strange, but I'm going to include it on the RE boards, as it shows a LOT of things that can happen to a RE PLAN over time, even one that "pencils out".

2002: I sell the house I've been rehabbing for the past 7 years. I get back about $500K, after taxes.

My girlfriend and I decide that, to stay close to her family, one of the only ways we can figure out how to make a rich-dad style cashflowing RE business is to do a Bed & Breakfast Inn, since the income is so much greater than a SFH or apt rental property.

2003: Browsing the MLS online, I spy a small, 6 BR house listed for $500K in Old Town Napa.

It's about 3 blocks to restaurants and shops. We think downtown Napa is up and coming-- has excellent potential for growth.

We want to buy a house and convert it into a B&B. This is allowed in the town of Napa (and only if it's an historic house), but not in most other parts of the Napa Valley.

The things that make this particular house appealing (besides great location) are:

-Listing says "built in 1945", but it's clearly an 1800s Victorian (Napa requires all new B&Bs be in historic homes)
(this is a key factor, as others searching for Victorians for potential B&Bs don't see this house)

-It has 6 bedrooms, making it great potential for a B&B (don't have to convince the City to add BRs).

-It's cheap: $500K for an 1800 square foot house.

FYI: In 2003, a finished 6 room B&B is worth $1.5M.

So we buy it, for $475K.

It needs lots of work, but we would have done this anyway, even for a pristine house, to convert it over to a B&B (needs more bathrooms, and less common area, plus an innkeeper's quarters).

Turns out the house was built in the 1880s (perfect for an old style B&B), and when we look at the small historic cottage next door (also for sale), my girlfriend decides she'll buy that one and we'll use it to live in while we fix up the big house. This cottage (we buy it for $343K) has a big back yard, so by combining the two properties, we can build a bigger B&B, say 10 rooms.

By the end of the summer 2003, I've got the designs done and we're putting the work out to bid.

That's when things get interesting.

I want to make this a business venture (not do it as a self employed owner/builder), so I interview and hire a well-respected General Contractor (GC). He will supervise the construction and charge by the hour, as well as get a small percentage markup on the materials.

After weeks of stalling, the contractor tells me it's going to cost at least $1,000,000 to transform the two houses into a 10 room B&B, and that the process is estimated to take a year, 14 months, tops.

If you've ever worked on a RE rehab, you know that you need to double both numbers, unless you're really good and have crews that you've worked with before.

We didn't (I only had one really great guy who had helped me do my prior two rehabs).

So we figured it would take us 2-3 years for the conversion, and probably run about $1.5-1.8M if we were lucky.

So I started looking at being an owner-builder. I figured I could probably bring it in for 600K (meaning prob $1M) and do it in 12 mos (meaning 18 months).

Contractors Math:

Take bid prices and estimated time to completion and multiply by 1.5 to 2.0

That's when we saw an existing B&B/Inn go up for sale about a mile away.

It was on the market for $1,650,000, and had 10 guest rooms.

Ten legal rooms would have made it worth about $2-2.5M-- turns out only 8 of the rooms were legal (hence the lower selling price).

We bought the inn for $1,375,000 in November of 2003.

Note that we were able to get a little over $1M in loans ($325K down), and we had an up and running B&B-- compared to waiting 2-3 years for our project houses, and spending MORE money to make that happen.

Still, we planned to develop the 2 houses. Even if we spent $1M on the rehab, we'd still have a property worth $2.5M.

This really didn't leave us much room for profit, since we'd already paid $475 and $343K ($818K total) for the two houses:

$1M rehab (owner/builder) + $0.818M purchase price = $1.818M for a prop that would be worth $2.5M, tops.

(note: does not include carrying costs on house mortgages and construction loans, which would add another $200K by the time we were done)

As we worked on our new Inn (the existing B&B), we had to pour more time and money into it than we had imagined (heard that one before, eh? :) ).

Since we'd already fixed up the cottage across town (next to the 6 BR Victorian), we rented out the cottage as a vacation rental, to give us at least a little income on these two props.

By winter of 2004, we had pretty much finished the upgrades of the Inn, and were ready to start working on the 1800 square foot, 6 BR house.

Which is when I saw that a 7500 square foot 1880s Victorian, a block away from our current B&B, on the market for $1,650,000 . . .

(to be continued) :)

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Great story Russ. Thanks for posting it. When is the sequel?:hurray:

T

TheGreatBear

The sequel? After buying the 1880s Victorian for $1.6 million, he sees a 9500 square foot 1860 Georgian selling for $1.68 million.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Awesome story thus far Russ, looking forward to the rest! :)

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Can't wait for the next one! Rep+++ for the story! (when I can...must spread first)

Last edited:

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
what were you doing before that allowed you to get financing for all of these houses?

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
Thank you very much Russ!! I'm tuned in, and I will be anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Rep++!!

-Alex

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great story, but take note newbies ... what is missing from the story is the prologue ... how Russ made good decisions and choices BEFORE THIS STORY which afforded him the chance to proceed into the opportunity.

Russ when you made these deals, I bet you had some cash on hand and above average credit. The result of GOOD CHOICES .... it is these life impacting choices that people rarely see or understand ... it is apart of the total success recipe, a hidden part of the story that is often glossed over to get to the meat (The meat being: We bought the property for $xxx,xxx.)

Looking forward to Part 2, plus some speed+

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Gee, MJ, I coulda hired you to be my narrator. :smxF:

First post was a teaser.

Here's some of the backstory:

1. Generating Capital

House #1

I'd been rehabbing RE for other people for years. But by 1995, I'd saved enough ($40K) to buy my own house, *specifically* to rehab (I would live in it while doing this).

At the time, I was living in Marin County (which had some of the highest per person income of any county in the US). Houses cost, on average, over $400K in the early 1990s-- when the US average cost for a home was a little over $100,000.

I shopped around areas near to where I was living, and found the Napa Valley was in a real housing slump. Apparently, every time the housing market went <CRUNCH> (dropped), Napa got it worse than the other communities in the Bay Area. Why? Simple: It was not on a commute corridor (no major artery freeways). So in 1995, there were over 1200 homes on the market in this tiny little valley (the typical average # was 300 homes, back then).

I thought about it, and figured that even though Napa didn't have commute highways, it *did* have a certain cache'-- wine country living and all that. And I reasoned that, in the next 10-20 years, as the baby boomers retired, Napa Valley would be one of those highly sought after places to live and visit.

(BTW, this logic/reasoning has paid off enormously, but we won't get to that part for the next few posts).

Each week I'd get a faxed list of new props from my realtor (she sent the new listings every 2 days or so). Remember, this was before the internet really came into use for this stuff-- so the only way you'd find out about a house was to either drive past it (and see the FOR SALE sign), or hear about it from a realtor or friend.

I knew what I wanted (I'd made a list): At least an acre, on the Silverado Trail, "Napa" address (important to an out of towner buying a vacation home), quiet enough to hear birdsong, and a house that I could rehab that was big, but needed lots of work.

I spent over 3 months looking *intensely* at all kinds of houses. Actually looked at more than 50 in person before I drove up to "House #1".

When I pulled up to House #1, I was very excited. I knew I'd found what I was looking for.

It was a worn out old 3BR 1 BA house (1250 square feet) with an 850 square foot attached garage that was part of the same roofline (so I could convert part or ALL of that space to house with very little effort).

The front of the house looked like a worn out old ranch. But when you walked around the sides and to the back, it almost looked like a Hollywood set-- the other 3 sides of the house were pieced together out of all kinds of different boards, had broken windows-- in short, WAAAAAAAAY ugly.

Had the house been in good shape, back in 1995, it would have been worth about $350K.

It was on an acre of land. My neighbor across the street had an ugly house w/hundreds of new grape vines which looked pathetic-- scrawny and tiny. I figured the vines would look incredible in 3-4 years when they'd grown a bit. Plus the trees he'd planted in front of his house would have grown in enough by that time so his house would look nicer.

(I was right on both counts). :)

The neighbor out the back had acres of horse pasture. If I walked all the way back to the property line, his horses would come running up for a treat. It was very cool. :)

I was literally writing the "for sale" ad in my head when I bought this house:

FOR SALE
Classic Napa Valley country home.
Views of grapes out the front and horse pastures out the back.
On the Historic Silverado Trail.
Hardwood and stone floors, Cook's kitchen, and a backyard built for entertaining.
Extensive home theater and whole house sound system
$450,000

It was on the market for $205K-- and had only been on the market for 3 days-- hadn't even been on the realtor's caravan.

I bought it for $200K.

My PLAN at the time (ala Your Money Or Your Life and Suze Orman) was to upgrade the house to be worth $400-450K, get enough leftover from the sale of this house to be able to semi-retire.

I figured I'd make $200-250K on this rehab (after paying for the expenses), and I'd use that money in 5%-6% T-bills to give me about $12K a year-- roughly $1000 a month to cover my basic expenses (food, utilities, rent an apt in a nice place, etc).

I also planned to write and teach workshops to augment this income-- at the time, I was making about $15K a year writing (took me about 5-10 hours/month to do this) and about $30-70K a year after expenses teaching 3 workshops a year. Each workshop was a full day, and took me a day to get there/set up, a day to teach, and a day to break down/fly home). Each one day workshop made anywhere from $6K to over $60K, so I was making $2K-20K a day, counting my travel days.

So that was my PLAN back then-- work 2-3 days a month, and have enough (about $70-100K/year) to live comfortably.

House #2

I originally bought House #2 to rehab and sell-- it was on 2/3 of an acre, in the "Beverly Hills" part of the Napa Valley. Larger houses nearby on similar sized pieces of property sold for well over $1,300,000. It was just a few minutes to the town of St Helena (very upscale), and surrounded by Wineries.

House #2 was tiny-- a hair over 1000 square feet-- and it was *really* laid out poorly-- had terrible bathrooms, a staircase cutting through the middle of the whole house, icky landscaping (OK, weeds). ;)

It was on the market for *months*, and I kept watching the price go down. It had sold previously for as much as $240K. I bought it for $169K, using money I'd set aside with my "Magic 10%" program (more on this in another post).

Realtors hated showing the house. It had 2 renters who didn't want to move, and they had a huge puppy dog (LARGE) that would bark and jump all over people. This didn't bother me in the least-- but it terrified a lot of the realtors (the renters played it up, too, since they didn't want to move!).

I figured I could fix up the design and aesthetic problems w/the house for about $50-80K and sell it a year or so later for $350K, making at least $100K. That would have given my PLAN another $5-6K in passive income each year ($100K x 5/6% = $5,000-6,000 in interest per year).

After living there for a few years, I decided I wanted to keep the house (taxes were like $2K a year since I'd bought it so cheap). So I refi'd the mortgage to a 10 year, and figured I'd refi again as soon as I semi-retired. At that point, I would have had about a $100K loan on the house-- making for some very easy payments.

Then I read the book Rich Dad Poor Dad.

And started playing the board game Cashflow 101 . . .

(to be continued)

-Russ H.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Russ, you rock. You've got me hooked. Can't you just finish the story??? :smxA:

What is it you taught at these workshops??

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kung Fu Steve said:
Can't you just finish the story???
It's taking a long time to type up. There is a LOT of material.

So instead of writing a post that is 4 pages long, I figured I'd do it this way.
Kung Fu Steve said:
What is it you taught at these workshops??
Home theater design and construction (my previous life, you can find me if you google it).

-Russ H.

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Interesting how you evolved buying at what might seem high at $160 per squart ft and growing to purchases over $250 per square foot. From $81,000 a room to $137,000 per room.

The high appreciating area is forgiving on an upswing well scouted. Given the anticipated success in the plan, the leverage taken on really accelerated growth. These big numbers had to be somewhat intimidating even though you anticipated cash flow once up and going.

The 50% rule is always necessary with Murphy hanging around. You had to know your numbers going in.

Had to comment so I am alerted to the continuing story. This is a different slant to real estate investing. Are B&B's labor intensive but better than a motel?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
unicon-

You have some interesting observations!

There is a lot more going on here than $ per square foot selling price, as you suspect.

Yes, upscale B&Bs can generate a LOT more per square foot than a typical budget motel.

In Napa, SHF rentals generate about $1/sq ft/mo before expenses.

(so a 1000 sq ft house = about $1000/mo)

On the other hand, our B&B generates over $15/sq ft/mo . . .

(4000 sq ft B&B = $60,000+/mo)

Of course, there are a LOT more expenses.

(but not 15 times as many as a SFH!) :groove:

-Russ H.

PS I'm not sure what motels bring in per square foot (or per guest room)-- ATW, do you have any figures on this?

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Big numbers and big margins I assume, kind of a hidden gem.

Probably a real adventure to stay in, something you can write home to mom about.

Location had alot of ambiance, selling the intangible?

Similiar concept to a Trump rental appealing to uber rich, but definitely upscale income and repeat business. Can see where this is going.

Probably underestimated by a lot of the competition, curious what you added to make it more appealing than just pure location.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
unicon-

If you'd like, I can do a B&B thread, that goes into detail on some of our value-added techniques. I had not thought this would be of interest to the group, since it's so specific.

I plan on keeping this thread more RE rehab based.

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
unicon-

If you'd like, I can do a B&B thread, that goes into detail on some of our value-added techniques. I had not thought this would be of interest to the group, since it's so specific.

I plan on keeping this thread more RE rehab based.

-Russ H.

I'd be interested in this!

PablitoCroft

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 15, 2008
Niagara Falls, Canada
I would be interested in a B&B specific thread as well. I have been tossing around the idea of a B&B as well. The Niagara Region in Ontario Canada is a huge tourist / wine producing region. Lots of B&B oppourtunities.

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Ditto, value added is central to everything, seen alot of business and RE concepts but never a B&B. Look forward to the historical dance.

Never occured it was a money maker but now have everyone thinking, kind of a home, restaurant, an adventure, a meeting place, a rural ambiance, a 100 year old historical monument, upscale feeling, a repeat business, a vacation spot which allows people to spend more, quaint town enviornment, wine production the game of the rich, gift shops, recreation, high margins, etc etc

Flexibility is profitability - lots of flexibility here - location seems to be real key

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Agree w/ everyone else, Russ. I would *Love* to hear your B&B story.

As a person who frequently stays at B&Bs as well as a big fan of wine :smxB:, the B&B business has always been attractive to me. Sorta seems a natural fit at some point in my life.

The whole lifestyle seems to fit my personality and interests quite nicely.

I would be interested in a B&B specific thread as well. I have been tossing around the idea of a B&B as well. The Niagara Region in Ontario Canada is a huge tourist / wine producing region. Lots of B&B oppourtunities.

I live in a suburb of Buffalo and travel frequently to Niagara Falls - haven't stayed at a B&B up there yet as I live as close as I do.

The one thing I notice is that there are a LOT of B&Bs in the area. I wonder how that effects business for the inn owners. I suppose as long as you stand out from the rest of the crowd and offer a better service/product than the competition you will likely be successful.

I have never been to Napa Valley but I have to imagine the B&B market is saturated there, as well.

Russ, what do you do to continue your success amid such a saturated market?

Great thread, BTW.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
I just wanted to reiterate that Russ is DA MAN!! :smxG::smx7::icon_super:

PablitoCroft

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 15, 2008
Niagara Falls, Canada
I live in a suburb of Buffalo and travel frequently to Niagara Falls - haven't stayed at a B&B up there yet as I live as close as I do.

The one thing I notice is that there are a LOT of B&Bs in the area. I wonder how that effects business for the inn owners. I suppose as long as you stand out from the rest of the crowd and offer a better service/product than the competition you will likely be successful.

You are very right.... There are ALOT of them up here, however MOST of them are "traditional" B&B's in their styling and decor. I know that several of the upscale hotel properties have shown interest in outsourcing rooms to an upscale B&B when they are over booked. (This happens A LOT in Niagara On The Lake....)

I would think that something styled more along the lines of a "W" hotel property would be unique enough to set it apart.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I've always said that anything that brings attention to an area or neighborhood is usually a good thing. In this case, I think that having lots of B&B's in an area is probably great for business, because it really gets the word out and people that would probably never stay at a B&B are suddenly hearing about the area, and looking at B&B's online to reserve a room with.

Similar thing happened up here in Cripple Creek Colorado a few years ago. There was 1 B&B, and now there are like 10 -- and only 3-4 hotels in this little resort town. So now when I go up, I look at staying at one of the B&B's if they are available to try something new.

- Hakrjak

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OK, so I had 2 houses, and a PLAN to sell one and live in the other.

My PLAN (in 2000):

-Sell House #1 (get $300K+)
-Pay off House #2 (about $100K)

Live on the $200K that was left ($12,000 a year passive income), plus augment w/writing and teaching workshops (working 2-3 days a month, tops, and getting another $70,000 a year doing this)

Not a bad plan, or a bad life. Especially since House #2 was walking distance to wineries, Dean & Deluca (my corner grocery store!), and the weather was, in a word, perfect (at least for me).

But then I picked up a copy of Rich Dad Poor Dad at the airport book store on one of my business trips.

Read it cover to cover during the trip.

Put my head in a very different space. It brought together a lot of what I'd already learned about money, but it showed me I was just taking baby steps-- that I could aspire to so much more!

So I started thinking about that.

And I started thinking well, maybe when I sell House #1, I can use the profits to buy other investment RE-- like rentals.

Thing was, I liked living in the Napa Valley. And the cheapest homes, at that time, were $250K each-- they just didn't pencil out for renting them out.

While I was trying to figure out what to do, House #1 was taking longer to finish than I'd ever imagined (I know NOW that this is completely normal, but back then, it really drove me nutso).

But lucky me-- during the extra time it took to finish the house, the RE market was going up-- and up. By the time I sold the house in 2002, it was worth $750,000, and I made $500,000 after all was said and done (a LOT more than the $200K I had originally planned on).

So, now I had $500K in seed money for my Rich Dad RE venture.

I had also met a gal I wanted to marry and start a family with, which was putting some pretty big changes into my PLAN. Not a bad thing, mind you. PLANs should always be flexible and grow with you.

About this time, my gf and I started playing the Cashflow boardgame. After a few weeks of miserable, 4 hour long games, we started to see some ways of playing the game that worked better than others. So our game play got more fun, and we were both getting out of the rat race faster.

I was reading (lurking) a lot on the Richdad website, reading posts by guys like Les Gee and Marcos. I was very impressed by how fast they were moving, and the kinds of deals the did (and more important, their overall attitude about the whole thing, which was very, very upbeat and positive).

I saw a notice for a cashflow game in San Francisco, and contacted them to see if I could come join them. They said "Sure!"

So I bid my gf goodbye one evening (she was catching up on some business), and I drove to SF to play.

That night changed my life forever.

I saw the game being played so many different ways-- by conservative people who were literally playing the game like they were living their lives-- too afraid to take any "risk" whatsoever, buying small deals sometimes, when they felt up to it, seeing them taking the sloooooooooooow road to riches.

I realized that the game had a LOT more going for it than I'd ever realized-- not only could it teach you how to accelerate your wealth strategies, it could also show you just HOW LONG it would take if you "took it slow" and were afraid to make any big steps.

Something else that I saw that night, from a few seasoned players, was MASSIVE leveraging. They borrowed tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars from the bank, and bought up everything in sight.

They offered to pay the conservative people $1000 if they could take their deal cards-- this was mind boggling to me (it seemed like a lot of $$ to offer for an unknown card). And the conservative folks (some of them) were all too happy to take these guys up on their offers, since they weren't going to buy anything anyways. It was a "win win".

I saw something else that blew me away-- some of the ultra-conservative investors WOULD NOT take the $1000! They were just too afraid, or didn't see it as "realistic" (not what they were experiencing in real life). Or they just didn't want someone else to get access to a deal.

They were scared. And they didn't want to try anything new-- they just wanted to play Cashflow like they were actually living their lives, from paycheck to paycheck, saving up slowing for that small deal.

I realized that these people did not see that you could try different strategies/life plans with this game-- they just plugged along, in their ruts, doing the same thing, over and over. They would *always* be like this.

I saw that I could use the game as a training tool-- trying out different financial strategies, to see what worked.

There was NOTHING to lose (except play money, and perhaps a bit of pride/ego).

But what an upside-- if I could figure out how to get out of the game faster, why wouldn't these strategies work in real life???!

What an enlightening evening this was!

I saw how much your psyche and emotions could affect the progress of your overall wealth plan.

The scared investors never made it out of the game. After 2 hours, they were still plugging away.

The experienced investors, on the other hand, were making it out in 15 minutes-- consistently.

15 MINUTES!!!

This was CRAZY to me.

Then they just jumped right back in, and played again. And again. And again.

While the scared, slow investors were still working on getting up to a downpayment on their first rental house, the experienced guys had made MILLIONS of dollars.

CRAZY!!!

I had played the game a few dozen times w/my gf, but neither of us had made it out of the game in less than 45 minutes. Ever.

So I watched these guys play, mesmerized, and tried to see what their strategies were.

And I asked questions-- and-- get this-- they were totally happy to show me how they were playing!!

They showed me how, when you used leverage (other people's deals, other people's money, other people's creativity or skills or experience), you just JAMMED-- major acceleration.

And they did this, over and over. With different people playing the game. With different cards drawn. With different occupations-- everything from airline pilots to janitors and truck drivers.

As I drove home that night, I was floating, I was so excited. I called my gf on my cell, and talked to her the whole drive home (over an hour). By the time I got back, we were both tired, but the next day, I showed her how they played.

Our first efforts were clumsy, and we made lots of mistakes (forgetting to borrow money in time, not tracking all of the massively increased paperwork, making bad choices, choosing small deals when we could easily have gone straight to big deals, etc).

But we learned from all of these mistakes.

We learned what took longer, and what was faster.

We learned what was risky (didn't always produce predictable results) and what could be repeated over, and over.

And both of us (my gf and I) learned how to get out of the rat race in 20-30 minutes. Consistently.

I returned to SF a couple of times, to hone my game play and see what I'd missed the first few times.

And I got better-- able to get out of the rat race in 15-20 minutes, virtually every time I played.

I learned the importance of partnering w/others. And with making deals, even when it wasn't my turn (who says you have to just sit there between turns-- why not offer other people money for their deals?!).

So I became a bit of a Cashflow fiend.

And, I realized that my $500K, if leveraged, could get me a LOT FARTHER, FASTER than my $12K a year plan.

So it was time to re-work my PLAN, incorporating our ideas/strategies for using OPM (other people's money) to leverage Real Estate deals . . .

(to be continued)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kung Fu Steve said:
Where is our B&B thread Russ? :smx19:

The B&B thread will come after I'm done w/ this one, since it came after what I'm talking about on this thread (and I won't have to repost a bunch of stuff).

I'll move all the posts about B&B stuff to that thread when I do it.

-Russ H.

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
DAMN GOOD story so far!!

Is that game THAT realistic? how many players does it take to play?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It's as realistic as you make it.

Our fave is 4-5 players.

NOT the e-game.