The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 1)

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
There's more, but I figure this post is already getting pretty long. Hope this helps someone.

That post by Ivan is very good – his concise summary is obviously based on experience (and echoes much of my own) rather than just something he read on a blog.

Now – regarding the issue of not buying stuff that costs less than a dollar:

That makes sense when you are starting out. Eventually, it pays to buy LARGE LOTS of many things, rather than just a couple items. If you buy the entire contents of a house, rather than one particular item, your market now has many more interested buyers (and you get discounts for volume).

Sure, it’s easier to start just buying one item at a time. Eventually you will be buying entire inventory of someone’s estate or business.

KEEP BUILDING YOUR ROLODEX/SPREADSHEET of buyers. At that point you want to sell of all the stuff to a wholesaler and cherry pick the prizes, for substantial markup. That is, you will never buy something unless you know it will quickly sell to someone on your list!

The same lessons apply, now it’s just a matter of SYTEMS and SCALE.

Best…

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

There's more, but I figure this post is already getting pretty long. Hope this helps someone.

That post by Ivan is very good – his concise summary is obviously based on experience (and echoes much of my own) rather than just something he read on a blog.

Now – regarding the issue of not buying stuff that costs less than a dollar:

That makes sense when you are starting out. Eventually, it pays to buy LARGE LOTS of many things, rather than just a couple items. If you buy the entire contents of a house, rather than one particular item, your market now has many more interested buyers (and you get discounts for volume).

Sure, it’s easier to start just buying one item at a time. Eventually you will be buying entire inventory of someone’s estate or business.

KEEP BUILDING YOUR ROLODEX/SPREADSHEET of buyers. At that point you want to sell of all the stuff to a wholesaler and cherry pick the prizes, for substantial markup. That is, you will never buy something unless you know it will quickly sell to someone on your list!

The same lessons apply, now it’s just a matter of SYTEMS and SCALE.

Best…

A general rule, is a 'general rule'. It does not apply to everything. I bought 120 units at $5 each the other day. Worth over $4000 retail.

For individual items I'm not purchasing anything under set dollar amounts, because that's what I want to do, so that's what I'm going to do.

I have little interest in continuing this beyond a certain point. Already have an exit/transition strategy in place.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
A spinoff is a listing service for businesses for their excess inventory/materials. Work off their inventory listing/selling stuff sitting on their shelves. Very scalable if you set up an easy cataloging/photo (camera/laptop) system that you train others to do.

D

DeletedUser394

Made $600 in 2 days.

Inventory: $3,505
Cash: $1,120

Total: $4,625

Nearly to the halfway point.

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
I've read this entire thread plus the one on the Lambo forums and I've been trying to apply the knowledge in these past few days but damn, no one seems to bite around here (Netherlands, small city of 130K people). I've been targeting video games, apple products, tv's, laptops and cell phones but no luck AT ALL. Most people tend to demand a price above market value if anything and are very clear when trying to negotiate. It's also different from Craigslist in that people hardly ever put their number in ads and negotiation happens through email mainly. Even the few calls I tried yielded no results. When people put stuff up at a low price there's alot of overbidding before you know it. I might start studying some specific products to get to know those markets because the aforementioned ones seem to be pretty bad for hustling.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong and what I could try next? Or is it just a tough market? I've put in alot of hours trying to scoop up deals these past few days but not a single one yet.. That's pretty dissapointing. The main dutch site for buying and selling is Marktplaats and this is the one I'm using. This thread is still awesome but I can't seem to succesfully apply its teachings.

FloK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Oct 16, 2011
Austin
Hello everyone! My first post here. My name is Folusho, and I caught the entrepreneur bug, "hustling"
after I graduated from HS.

When N**** launched, I would stay up till 3 in the morning downloading and sell the cds for $10 a pop. After the media started talking about it, I started realizing that what I was doing wasn't good, but I had sooooo many customers because I worked at a telemarketing firm.

Long story short, I stopped selling CD, later DVDs, and starting selling websites, and consulting online.

I've cleared over a mill with that business.

Just a little about me.

Here are a few programs you can use to find things and automate the process a little more.

ifttt / Put the internet to work for you. With this you can automate your responses when certain things happen online.

I also use a program called Leadnetpro, there are other like it that are cheap, and you can set it up to
search Craigslist, Ebay, Google, etc...

But like an earlier poster said, you don't want to automate something if you don't have a successful formula that works.

When you put the technology first, then people get human interaction, they seem to respond better. Sorta like they are surprised that they were able to talk to someone.

mavwrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Oct 4, 2010
you can apply this craigslists logic to ebay/amazon and vice versa. I buy a LOT of electronic goods on ebay or craigslist for about $50 per item. Then I clean it up and a warrant and resell on amazon for $140.

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
you can apply this craigslists logic to ebay/amazon and vice versa. I buy a LOT of electronic goods on ebay or craigslist for about $50 per item. Then I clean it up and a warrant and resell on amazon for $140.

Within your city/country or even internationally? Shipping will slightly lessen the profit margin I guess but this might be a good solution to living in a small city with few good deals. What sorts of goods are you currently dealing in? $50 to $140 is a damn nice margin.

mavwrx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Oct 4, 2010
Within your city/country or even internationally? Shipping will slightly lessen the profit margin I guess but this might be a good solution to living in a small city with few good deals. What sorts of goods are you currently dealing in? $50 to $140 is a damn nice margin.

Across the usa shipping (no internaltional sales) shipping is about $10 flat rate with priority mail. I'd rather not say, it falls under electronics. But you can find these artibritrage siutations existing within ebay and amazon.

D

DeletedUser394

Only update, is that there's a slight change in my goal. Rather than $10K cash, it could be a combination of inventory and cash, as I'm planning on continuing this into ebay/online store rather than just taking straight cash into another venture.

And I'm only going to update this once a week henceforth.

I have 147 days remaining to make $5,500.

D

DeletedUser394

Good things happen to good hustlers.

Was on my way from the bank today, (Depositing some money to cover for a new shipment of inventory), and now I'm probably going to be in the paper tomorrow haha.

A photographer for one of the big papers in the city stopped me and took some shots.

Found my picture on the newspaper website just now. Pretty cool.

I look like a habs loving terrorist.

Attachments

• 6010607.jpg
    6010607.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 254

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Since you are moving to ebay you should also go with Amazon. You can make a lot on there. i was until they shut my account because of a complaint. Person complained because a leather case I threw in for free with an ipad was a worn on the edges and wanted a new one.

D

DeletedUser394

Wooooo I'm on the third page of today's newspaper right under 'Top News'.

In other news (lol) I passed $5,000 at some point this week. Not sure of the cash/inventory breakdown but when I'm not too lazy I'll do the math.

Officially out of the video game reselling business. Sold off the last of my inventory yesterday.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
Just a quick note: if you want better profit margins, buy from sources that have a barrier to entry (remember that fastlane commandment? Lol)

Example: ANYONE can open up Craigslist if they have a few spare moments, but not everyone is willing to go the extra mile and visit an auction or estate sale. You havemuch less competition and lower prices as the barriers increase.

I've found this to be especially true of cars. Good deals get snapped up real quick on CL and profits can be slim after the fees and paperwork are taken care of. But if you can get cars from an auction that requires a yearly fee, membership, etc, and resell in a market where those barriers don't exist, I've found that there's better money to be made. Plus it's a more consistent source of product (don't have to deal with flakes) and you can set up a "system" for steady income. My last car was bought for $3300(after repairs, registration, taxes) and sold for $4800.

Repos can be good but it's hit or miss with those. You definitely want to inspect them first.

Eventually, I'm planning to do something similar with real estate. I know investors in my area are making a killing picking up properties for half their market value at cash auctions and reselling them.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Hey hustlers, 2 quick questions (please let me know if they have already been answered, this thread is really long so I glanced through it but could have missed something):

1. Do you always buy on CL and sell on ebay? Or do you sometimes do it in reverse? Do you sell anywhere else (like Amazon)?

2. Are there any red flags on CL listings that let you know to stay away from the item/offer?

D

DeletedUser394

Hey hustlers, 2 quick questions (please let me know if they have already been answered, this thread is really long so I glanced through it but could have missed something):

1. Do you always buy on CL and sell on ebay? Or do you sometimes do it in reverse? Do you sell anywhere else (like Amazon)?

2. Are there any red flags on CL listings that let you know to stay away from the item/offer?

1) You can do any combination. Wherever the deals are. Craigslist, Amazon, Ebay (there are at least 15 other sites I can think of as well). You can buy lots on ebay and resell individually on CL for example. Really, wherever the profit is, that's where you want to be.

2) If they want you to ship the item and pay via paypal, don't do it. Stick to cash only, and always inspect the product before buying. You shouldn't feel obligated to buy if the item(s) wasn't what you were expecting, or wasn't as described.

Although that isn't always the case. I bought below wholesale lots of brand new shoes and I email transfered the money and she shipped the product.

Only reason I did this is because once you have someone's email, you can find out plenty about a person. Easiest thing is facebook. If the person is on facebook, and I can link him/her to other people as well, then I'm happy to do the deal.

The Spark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 10, 2011
NH, USA
I've finally manned up and started the flipping. For some wierd reason I've been moving toward luxury items. The allure keeps snatching me until I can figure out some cheaper higher margin items. Hey, gotta pay the costs to be the boss right?

First one:

Bought a Gold and diamond Movado watch for 900$ off Craigslist. Flawless, but quickly found out the resell value of movado specificially is terrible due to the economy. Long story short I unloaded it on Ebay for 1250. After fees I walked away with about $250. Not bad for a first time. I rolled those profits and I jumped down to a $475 purchase of a lot of 18 luxury handbags (coach, burberry etc.) that were returns to Nordstrom. I have a potential profit of up to $2500 of those. I hope to net at least $1000 for a profit of ~$500.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
I've finally manned up and started the flipping. For some wierd reason I've been moving toward luxury items. The allure keeps snatching me until I can figure out some cheaper higher margin items. Hey, gotta pay the costs to be the boss right?

First one:

Bought a Gold and diamond Movado watch for 900$ off Craigslist. Flawless, but quickly found out the resell value of movado specificially is terrible due to the economy. Long story short I unloaded it on Ebay for 1250. After fees I walked away with about $250. Not bad for a first time. I rolled those profits and I jumped down to a $475 purchase of a lot of 18 luxury handbags (coach, burberry etc.) that were returns to Nordstrom. I have a potential profit of up to $2500 of those. I hope to net at least $1000 for a profit of ~$500.

$475 for 18 luxury handbags = $26. something each handbags when this good deals comes out you should think about it ... why are they so cheap ? My first relaxe would be ... copy? China replica?

I used to buy a lot of this stuff on internet from China wholesaler when I was 16 years old ... it brought me troubles ...

The Spark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 10, 2011
NH, USA
The source is direct customer returns and shelf pulls. Many have either small stitching mistakes or perhaps a small smudge that makes them lightly used. I know my source. This is the first time ill be doing thus and I believe it may take me sometime to unload but in prepared as I below profit is inevitable.

D

DeletedUser394

These more expensive items are driving me nuts. Receiving 1 legitimate reply for every 100 bogus attempted 'just ship here' paypal scammers. Sending me texts at 4 in the morning because they are in some far away country in a completely different time zone.

In the ad(s) I make it very clear that these are in person cash only deals, and to not waste my time by contacting me if they aren't in the area... and they keep replying anyway (although at a lesser frequency, some of them can actually read I guess)

Yesterday got some jerk wanting me to send something to 'The United State' where his wife is, or some bs. Which of the 50 states in the united one? lol it's almost unnerving.

I'm going to be paying that extra money to get them all listed on a more legitimate website (ebay, amazon, etc) and then creating my own. I'm going to probably use flat rate stores (if they still exist). I want to focus on higher dollar amount items with good profit margins (more room to negotiate when buying and selling).

At that point the only things I would offer on CL would be things that are too big to be 'shipped to Ghana, or Botswana, or Nigeria, or China etc'. Like cars for instance.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Hey Ryan, are you TYPING out your listings on craigslist or are you using an IMAGE that describes the listing?

One thing I've tried in the past that greatly reduces the amount of spam that the bots pick up is typing up my ad in Microsoft Word (listing your phone number, description, etc) then taking a SCREEN PRINT of the Word document and uploading it to craigslist. There's a way to put much larger images than just the 4 that they offer, I can't remember how off the top of my head how though, just google it. And if I recall correctly, you have to put a tiny bit of text in the ad for CL to accept it, but most of everything the customer needs to know will be listed on the image / screen print.

Hopefully trying that will eliminate any more 4 AM text messages.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.