The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Bio-Hacking Discussion: Cold Showers, Nicotine, Cryo, Float Tanks...

D

Deleted70138

Let me save you months or even years of taking wrong version of supplements:

When taking b12 vitamin, instead of Cyanocobalamin, search for Methylocobalamin one, from 1000mcg to 5000mcg. Take it with 1000mg of vitamin C, but search for the one with pure ascorbic acid, you can even get as a powder.
Vitamin D over 5000iu should be taken with K2 (MK7 version) and preferably with fish oil (The best one I've been able to find was "Carlson - The very finest fish oil"). Don't take Calcium with vitamin D, or you will feel stones forming in your kidney.
Zinc can be taken in various forms, but the most digestible one is Picolinate, which should be taken on empty stomach, at least 15 minutes before meal.
Magnesium should be Bisglycinate, for digestibility, and start slow quarter of suggested daily does to avoid heavy nightmares.

But, no vitamin or supplement can heal having an unfulfilled life, so go out there and make shit happen. Overcoming fears, achieving goals and conquering internal demons will give you everything your heart desires.

P.s. still take Magnesium, that one is good!

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
Let me save you months or even years of taking wrong version of supplements:

When taking b12 vitamin, instead of Cyanocobalamin, search for Methylocobalamin one, from 1000mcg to 5000mcg. Take it with 1000mg of vitamin C, but search for the one with pure ascorbic acid, you can even get as a powder.
Vitamin D over 5000iu should be taken with K2 (MK7 version) and preferably with fish oil (The best one I've been able to find was "Carlson - The very finest fish oil"). Don't take Calcium with vitamin D, or you will feel stones forming in your kidney.
Zinc can be taken in various forms, but the most digestible one is Picolinate, which should be taken on empty stomach, at least 15 minutes before meal.
Magnesium should be Bisglycinate, for digestibility, and start slow quarter of suggested daily does to avoid heavy nightmares.

But, no vitamin or supplement can heal having an unfulfilled life, so go out there and make shit happen. Overcoming fears, achieving goals and conquering internal demons will give you everything your heart desires.

P.s. still take Magnesium, that one is good!

That's pretty much it brother. Amazing summary of the most important things. 80/20 right there. (Magnesium is king)

The best 2 "biohacks" that I've implemented lately are:

1) Setting a environment where I can work standing 50% of the time. This is being HUGE for my productivity, mobility and overall health.

2) Making sure I get minimum 30 min of real sun everyday. No vitamin D can replace the full spectrum effects of the sunlight. This has been HUGE for my mood, energy levels, and sleep quality.

It's also great to do prolonged fasts somewhat often. That way you get a deep cleanse in your syste and go into full repair/recovery mode.

It may not be the best for muscle gainZ but It's a great practice for longevity and health. I like doing 48h fasts every quarter or so.

One thing that I'm still excited to try is the float tank! I've read great things about it but unfortunately we don't have easy access here in Brazil.

Anyone here with cool experiences on the float tank to share?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8/anecdotewim_hofice_baths_might_have_shrunk_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6/final_update_on_my_cancer_ama/

P.S. I've since contacted both Dean Hall and the Reddit user. They're legitimate pioneers in healing cancer through cold exposure. Dean also has a very high emotional IQ and wears his heart on his sleeve which helped him overcome his second cancer as well.

Both of these guys did not have surgery or go on chemo. Essentially, they only sought medical help in the form of blood tests/imagining to confirm their progress. Both have been mostly ignored by doctors about their results.

Dean Hall's story especially is incredibly inspiring. You can see his story in full here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmo7065mvY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuFORrs8xw

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
MODERATOR NOTE: Use this thread to discuss bio-hacking techniques, a proactive approach to improve performance.NOTHING IN THIS THREAD SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS MEDICAL ADVICE, BY MYSELF, THE POST CONTRIBUTOR, OR MY COMPANY. THIS SIMPLY IS A DISCUSSION ON STRATEGIES OR TACTICS THAT YOU HAVE FOUND HELPFUL, OR NOT HELPFUL.

This thread is starting to get pretty good, so I here is a quick summary of the themes mentioned so far for your convenience:
-Cold shower + Sauna
-Breath exercise, for example the Wim Hof method.
- wearable tech. Ive seen great things about whoop strap, oura ring, fitbit
-take the right version of supplements. See post #5
-use a standing desk
-get 30 min real sunlight
-fasting is great. I believe around 3 days is enough to empty your liver.
-float tank
-nicotine
-meditation

Original post below:

Just wanted to share a really simple and absolutely terrible, yet immensely effective practice.

Cold showers really do work, but you have to go all the way, so your muscles and vessels constrict, pushing your blood and lymphatic fluid out of their positions. As i understand, it also shocks your mitochondria (your cells' energy pretty much), and increases their effectiveness. If you want the details, there is tons of research on exactly what happens around the internet.
If its too intense for you (it was for me), you can try targeting one bodypart at a time. I found just cooling my leg, then the next, and so on, was more manageable, and then work your way into the real deal.

If you have any kind of inflammation, fatigue, or brainfog, I highly recommend giving it a try for a few days. Even if you just flash cold/hot/cold/hot for a few seconds, it does help a lot.

What other simple health tricks do you do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AristotlesPupil

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 10, 2021
What type of meditation you can recommend? I use guided mindfulness meditation and think it’s better than eg visualization meditation for clearer mind and well being. Affirmations work well for me too. and yeah 10min is more than enough if you have a good meditation track, unfortunately i constantly need to look for new tracks because used ones don’t work as good as at the first time for me
No music, no apps, no distraction. If you use an alarm it needs to be very very soft. I'd say first focus on doing pure mindfulness. Focus on your breathing and the way your body feels and tingles and such. Literally how your body physically feels. Important: make sure to stay wide awake. This isn't a nap. Your eyes are closed, but your awareness is sharp. Make sure you keep your back straight, and not resting on something (like on a chair's backrest). You can open and relax your hands on your thighs or on the side, but don't grab anything with them.

Eyes closed
Relax
Good posture
Stay wide awake

It sounds crazy but you may cry, panic, feel an enormous amount of pain. Meditating isn't a way to blow off some steam. It's understanding yourself and domesticating your body's reactions. Plus it puts you into a state of flow which is really nice and can be used strategically. I used to do 1-2mins meditation before exams or social events and I would perform way better and be way more sociable. It sounds a bit nuts, but it doesn't feel nuts once you "get it"

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
Been consistent with daily cold exposure for more than two years now.

Every morning I wake up at 5AM and head straight into a cold shower.
Every other shower also includes cold water conditioning.
As the seasons change, I continue to expose myself to the environment with daily outside workouts.
As I travel, especially in the mountains, I love to swim in ice-cold river water. Last year I even took my pregnant wife into the river at the top of Sequoia National Park as well as at Lake Tahoe.

The cold adaptation has a noticeable affect on my metabolic health. You can build cold adaptation even in warm climates. Last winter, although I'm in Texas and the weather doesn't get very cold, I got by without anything more than a T-shirt. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit from Canada and even they didn't have the adaptation that I do.

Haven't been sick since I started.

Exposing oneself to the cold on a regular basis is one of the easiest forms of metabolic conditioning. It's an equally useful practice for regulating creeping levels of inner-bitchness.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I recently ordered one of these (LINKED BELOW) because the quality of my sleep is poor. I've tried various strategies thus far with no real improvement. They offer a 60 day guarantee so I figured it was worth the risk.

Also, once or twice during the week slap a nicotine patch to my arm to increase focus. This has been recommended by several neurologists. It seems to work for me when I do it as I seems to help me be more productive. However, I limit this tactic to once or twice per week as (obviously) I don't want to get addicted to nicotine, although I haven't noticed any type of addictive response to it. It also seems to curb appetite.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Also, never forget that winning is the ultimate "bio-hack". Hitting some business goal, picking up an attractive person, winning a fight (physical or verbal) will do wonders for your biochemistry.

Go out there and win.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
Yoga outside every morning - reset circadian rhythm and startup the body

Full-body weightlifting every other day - squats/deadlifts/bench/pullups. 30min sauna on weightlifting days.

Bodyweight mobility/rehab non-weightlifting days

Diet consists of lots of organic veggies and grass-fed meats - little to no processed foods, essentially wiping all soy/corn based foods. Carb intake limited to rice and potatoes here and there.

Avocado oil for cooking, olive oil for salads, grass-fed butter for everything else.

Fresh-squeezed organic orange juice pre-yoga with vitamin D + B-complex.

Special Coffee post yoga - french press coffee brew blended with grass-fed collagen, MCT oil, grass-fed butter, lion's mane mushrooms.

Supplements outside of above mentioned: magnesium from algae, zinc, turmeric, liquid EPA/DHA fish oil, ashwagandha root powder, Reishi extract.

4L+ of water daily intake - water prepped in glass jars and infused with fresh-squeezed lemon/lime juice and chia seeds for structure.

8+h of sleep every night - no naps.

No nicotine, no alcohol, no drugs outside coffee.

* all mushroom powder I consume prepared from fruiting bodies and not mycelial biomass (make sure your supplement is also such otherwise you're getting ripped off)

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Oh wow Simon, I've got to thank you again. My wife's best friend looks like she may have some kind of stomach cancer (being confirmed today). So this couldn't have come at a better time, cold exposure would have been my suggestion anyway, but it's going to be a lot stronger backed up by this and the scientific papers quoted in the article.

You could so easily have decided not to share this, I am so glad you did.

Have an amazingly blessed day, awesome weekend and beautiful life.

Peace X

Sorry to hear that. It's going to be pretty hard for her in the near future, especially when she has to choose a treatment option.

I'd like to share some things that I've found throughout my own health journey and observing others' that might help:

1. She has to gather a lot of strength & cultivate an unwavering belief in "miracles" (a.k.a upcoming breakthroughs in science and medicine).

2. People who believe deep down that they're going to come out on top in a bad situation, despite how hopeless or unlikely it seems for them to do so, often end up doing just that. Of course, this works both ways – people who "hope" for their bad situation to resolve but harbor negative expectations usually end up manifesting the things they don't want.

Naturally, those who are skeptical on principle (as I am) will point out that being optimistic and expecting the "good" thing to happen doesn't guarantee that it will.

To that, I have two counter-arguments:

A) That's not something a highly optimistic person would say, so how would you REALLY know?
B) Even if that's true, expecting the "bad" thing to happen pretty much guarantees it will. So why not increase your chances by being optimistic every step of the way? (even if some of those steps make you fall flat on your face)

As for treatment, this is how it usually goes:

Fear drives many to cling to what is known or considered a "safe bet". Traditional medicine and chemotherapy are considered as such. This is understandable as one's health and life are at stake.

Heck, we know that even Steve Jobs with his unfathomable wealth and power still died from cancer while on an experimental fruitarian diet (which was a questionable choice considering sugar feeds cancer cells and pretty much everything else that's pathogenic).

So, it's extremely important to educate oneself on how that treatment works and, even more importantly, how effective it is.

In Dean Hall's case, he learned that with chemotherapy he only had a 7% chance of survival in the following 4 years.

He got a second, third, fourth, and even ninth opinion from top oncologists in the U.S. Most gave him anywhere from 3 months to a year to live without any treatment.

So, he decided to go out guns blazing by accomplishing a physical feat that nobody else had done—becoming the first person to swim the entire length of the Willamette River and River Shannon (and with late-stage cancer to boot.)

Unbeknownst to him, his newfound purpose and extreme exposure to cold (he swam in 40F/4C water 8-10 hours per day for 21 days) led to one of his cancers (leukemia) going into deep "spontaneous" remission in just 21 days. His doctors told him that if they hadn't diagnosed him themselves, they would have been in doubt he ever had it.

Unfortunately for Dean, the cold exposure did not put his lymphoma in remission.

Despite this, he didn't call it quits and still did not turn to traditional medicine (risky yet commendable) but began practicing what's known as "forest bathing" – a Japanese practice where you spend 1 day per week alone in nature and just taking it all in. The sounds, the beautiful visuals, the peace and quiet, all of the various life forms around you. Like a whole day of mindfulness meditation out in nature.

He's mentioned that in the quietness of nature he realized he had a lot of emotional trauma weighing on him, especially related to the passing of the love of his life and regrets of not following his dreams. He cried a lot at first and had to come to terms with a lot of emotions that he had avoided and suppressed.

After a year of this, his lymphoma entered remission as well. It's fascinating.

Best of luck to your friend. I'd recommend Dean Hall's book which I've linked above – written by himself, his daughter, and a doctor that's a friend of their family who attempts to provide scientific explanations on why it all worked out for him.

Last edited:

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Otherwise from cold showers and various supplements, one thing I discovered lately are hot showers and baths. They seem to assist and heal symptoms like ADHD.
When you target hot water on the head, the brain activates heat-shock proteins, which simulate a state of fever.
Fever can be actually good for the brain as it goes in repair mode.
This seems to have increased my focus, also a hot relaxing bath can be very good to put out the stress
Jumping from a sauna into a cold shower/pool... Ohhh baby!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I recently ordered one of these (LINKED BELOW) because the quality of my sleep is poor. I've tried various strategies thus far with no real improvement. They offer a 60 day guarantee so I figured it was worth the risk.

These people should be ashamed of themselves. I will be returning this piece of junk unless something changes in the next week. Wish I could say if it was effective or not, but the product and its app is a complete piece of crap. In fact, this device is supposed to alleviate stress when in fact, it has created more stress in my life because it never works, it never stays connected, and the device always needs to be reset to factory settings in order for it to work. This product should never have been released to the public and at best, is a beta-product, but even that is a stretch.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
This is probably my favorite thread in a long time!

When the Covid madness started, my health really started to deteriorate. Probably many people can relate to this. More junk food, more alcohol, less movement. My working posture was terrible - most time I worked all day from the couch. Managed to create a couple of health issues for myself with that lifestyle. Nevertheless, due to 'biohacking' and optimizing my lifestyle I start to feel better than ever. A couple of things that has worked for me:

1. Tracking

I have always had a tough time with discipline. Since I started tracking my daily/weekly targets I have turned it into a game and now I actually enjoy being disciplined. I have 37 KPI's I track daily. It might sounds crazy, but it takes me 15-30 minutes to update them daily. You know how satisfying it is to look at that sheet and see that I spent 7 days in a row with 0 minutes on Twitter, when I used to spend hours there daily. This tracking of my daily habits and KPI's has been a gamechanger for me.

That being sad I am seriously mad about myself about this slacking weekend with too many beers in the sun. Looking at the red numbers at my tracking sheet really fuels my motivation to better this week!

2. Intermittent Fasting

Used to do IM back in the days, and just started again 3 weeks ago. Try to keep to an 8-hour window, but sometimes I eat too late or have a late glass of wine on the weekends.

3. Daily Walk

I lived in the best area of town by the beach in Sweden for 1 year, but I never had the desire to go anywhere as the weather was shitty all the time. I now live in Portugal by the beach and after lunch I always take 30-60 minutes walk on the beach in the sun. Good weather or not - I recommend this for everyone. Wish I have done the same in Sweden despite the weather, then I would probably never have been that depressed.

4. Journaling

If you asked me 6 months ago I would have told you that all of my days were equal - boring and nothing positive to report back on. Now I spend 5-10 minutes on journaling every morning where I only write down the positive things. Man, when you think positively your whole mindset changes. Even un uneventful days I can jot down 15-20 good things that has happened. When you start your mornings with reflecting back on all the good things that happens around you - no matter how small or big they are, you are just bound to have a positive mindset for the rest of the day. Another gamechanger.

5. Reading

After the journaling I read 10 pages. Actually reading 'Unscripted ' now. Can't believe I had it for a year now and haven't read it yet (shame on me - please don't kick me out haha @MJ DeMarco!). Also try to read during the day and before I sleep.

6. Cold Showers

Another gamechanger. Starting off with a normal hot shower, and then ending with 60-120 seconds cold shower. Still haven't incorporated the Wim Hof breathing method into this, but I have this planned. I live a 30 seconds walk from the Atlantic Ocean, so also need to get the balls to go jump in the cold ocean every day!

7. To Do List

As simple as it sounds - making a To Do List the old school way in a notebook the evening before has made me much more productive. After my journaling and reading I have a clear plan for the day, and by the time most people have had their morning coffee and chatted with their colleagues at work, I have already completed the first 5-10 important tasks of the day.

8. Podcast + Notes

I always used to listen to music while doing more manual work tasks. Now I instead listen to Podcasts and take notes of all important things. My recent favorite has been Huberman's podcast about Biohacks. Have taken a bunch of notes - can share them in here when I get them down on the computer. Thanks for the recommendation!

9. No Electronics in Bed

The only ones allowed in the bedroom now is my wife, and a book. No laptop, no Ipad, no phone. I bought an old school alarm clock for 3 euros at the Chinese shop around the corner. So now I wake up like I used to do 20 years ago. Before I had trouble falling asleep, as Netflix and Youtube episodes never stopped playing. Now I read for 30 minutes and fall asleep like a baby at 10 P.M.

10. No News and Social Media

The last 7 days I have totally abolished Social Media and the MSM. What a blessing. Due to many reasons I was very emotionally invested in both the Covid and Russia-Ukraine narratives, and they were tearing me down. Turning that shit completely off has helped me taking my life back. Never again will I focus on anything that I cannot control!

11. No Meat, No Dairy, No Soy, No Sugar, No Bad Carbs and No Processed Foods

This is probably the toughest one to stick to of all habits. I haven't touched meat all of 2022. Can't proof if that is due to that fact or not, but my daily brain fog that I have lived with for 2 years or so, is completely eliminated. Despite actually being stressed more than ever, my mind is much clearer as before.Trying to avoid the rest of the products as much as possible. Dairy (cheese) is probably the hardest one. Like who doesn't like a good pizza from time to time?

12. Posture

My main issue, which has left me some semi-serious health issues. Doing everything to optimize it now. No more laying down on the couch. Try to keep a good posture as much as possible while working. Then next plan is to implement a couple of biohacks to make it easier to keep a good posture, and trying to build a standing working station. Will let you know if it works.

13. The 80/20 Rule

I have always been an all or nothing person. Either I strictly followed habits and diets, or I didn't do anything at all. I have completely changed my mindset. I try to live as focused and healthy as possible 80 % of the time, and if I want a beer in the sun on a Wednesday or grab a pizza with a friend on the weekend, then I do this. We live only once, and being extreme in setting limits for my self does not work for me.

I have noticed a serious change in attitude, positivity, stress-levels, clarity, productivity, confidence and calmness the last month after implement these things. Before I could get stressed out by one simple task not going as planned or get anxious by small confrontations - this could ruin a lot of my day. These days I take the obstacles that comes my way as a challenge and actually enjoy them a bit.

Last weekend we were walking in a park and accidentally happened to trespass on to some private property. In the matter of seconds 2 huge Rottweilers started sprinting like a couple of Usain Bolt's against us. Naturally my wife took off immediately. I also turned around and ran for 2 seconds, before I realized that it made no sense, and better they just get me than both of us. So I just stopped up and waited for the doggo's to jump me. Fortunately, they stopped up right at where their property ended. So nothing happened here.

I think we all would have done the same. What I was surprised with was that I was calm as nothing had happened after the situation. My pulse was calm. My hands weren't even shaking a bit. The clarity to make that decision in just a couple of seconds also surprised me. Honestly, just a couple of months ago things would probably have turned out completely different. Best case scenario it would have ruined my day due to stress and anxiety - worst case I would have run and the doggo's would have attacked us.

Don't know why I used this example, but this situation just stuck with me - in a positive way. I think this proves how quickly we all can change mentally - both consciously and subconsciously if we work on ourselves.

Let's keep this thread going. Biohacking can do wonders! (even though what I described probably is more habits than biohacking)

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8/anecdotewim_hofice_baths_might_have_shrunk_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6/final_update_on_my_cancer_ama/

P.S. I've since contacted both Dean Hall and the Reddit user. They're legitimate pioneers in healing cancer through cold exposure. Dean also has a very high emotional IQ and wears his heart on his sleeve which helped him overcome his second cancer as well.

Both of these guys did not have surgery or go on chemo. Essentially, they only sought medical help in the form of blood tests/imagining to confirm their progress. Both have been mostly ignored by doctors about their results.

Dean Hall's story especially is incredibly inspiring. You can see his story in full here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmo7065mvY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuFORrs8xw

Thanks for this, I've been doing a lot of looking into it lately. I started cold plunges back in November and now 4-5 times a week I sit in a cold bath for 5-10 minutes.

I haven't had so much as a cold in months. My wife works at a nursery and so brings home sniffles all the time, I kiss her, lie next to her and I'm fine.

Some days I feel like frickin Superman after my dip and I've become a bit of an annoying, cold water evangelist to my friends :)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Been consistent with daily cold exposure for more than two years now.

Every morning I wake up at 5AM and head straight into a cold shower.
Every other shower also includes cold water conditioning.
As the seasons change, I continue to expose myself to the environment with daily outside workouts.
As I travel, especially in the mountains, I love to swim in ice-cold river water. Last year I even took my pregnant wife into the river at the top of Sequoia National Park as well as at Lake Tahoe.

The cold adaptation has a noticeable affect on my metabolic health. You can build cold adaptation even in warm climates. Last winter, although I'm in Texas and the weather doesn't get very cold, I got by without anything more than a T-shirt. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit from Canada and even they didn't have the adaptation that I do.

Haven't been sick since I started.

Exposing oneself to the cold on a regular basis is one of the easiest forms of metabolic conditioning. It's an equally useful practice for regulating creeping levels of inner-bitchness.
Thanks for posting this.

Today I've just had my first ice bath in a long time. I'm doing this therapy specifically for improving metabolic health (mitochondria function).

The feeling you get when you get out of that water is otherworldly. It's indescribable.

It's like you get recharged with pure health and life force from the heavens.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I definitely can confirm after I go for a swim in cold water, I get out feeling like a million bucks.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you ever get nauseated from the nicotine? I've tried this in the past with that result.

I did once, but it was very subtle.

Though, 50 mg is 13-25 pills depending on the dose that you're taking.

I don't take pills, I use the patches, a 7mg one to be specific, the 7mg is time released, and I only keep it on several hours. But yes, anything taken in high doses, or inappropriately probably can be dangerous, or worse, fatal.

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
I personally don't like coffee/ caffeine, i found out that the sun is in the morning like a little boost so that you can "awake" faster. Just step outside for a few minutes and it should help.

I do it regular when i slept not really long so that I can overcome this "morning sickness"

A great source for biohacking / body related things is that guy here, he puts everything out for free and there is for most fields something interesting.

AristotlesPupil

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 10, 2021
I tried meditating, but it felt like a chore, and I didn't feel any benefit. What's the trick?
It's tricky, you need to be able to accept to be alone with yourself, deeply. First it forces you to tolerate boredom. Then you start becoming a lot more aware of your consciousness. You can passively analyze your thoughts as they come and go without caring about them. It's like watching birds inside a park when you're sitting on a bench, except that the birds are your thoughts and emotions. It's weird but it's amazing. It also allows you to induce a state of flow. Controlling your state of flow is like a super-power.

The initial hurdle of having to tolerate the boredom and the anxiety this boredom creates can be painful but it doesn't last forever. When I dedicated myself to it seriously a couples of years back, I could spend something like two weeks in a row in flow without interruption. All it took was 10 minutes in the morning and small mindfulness sessions throughout the day (like 2mins each tops) which you can do at moments where you would be taking a break anyway, like going to the bathroom, the shower, etc.

I would say don't use an app

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

Also, once or twice during the week slap a nicotine patch to my arm to increase focus. This has been recommended by several neurologists. It seems to work for me when I do it as I seems to help me be more productive. However, I limit this tactic to once or twice per week as (obviously) I don't want to get addicted to nicotine, although I haven't noticed any type of addictive response to it. It also seems to curb appetite.

Sounds like you've tried everything for your sleep but just in case... I've pasted my accumulated sleep notes below, this is the TLDR of many hours of rigorous sleep research/reading and practice.

p.s. dont stress TOO much about your Fitbit readings... even the best tech out there right now is at best around 70% accurate, if you feel good, don't sweat the stats.

Sleep notes:

Last calorie at least 3 hours before bedtime.

Off screens 1-2 hours before bed.

Sleep and wake same time everyday (consistent bedtime routine & schedule)

If you need extra sleep go to bed earlier dont wake up later (keep wake up time consistent at all costs)

A sub 30 min nap around 2-3pm is an incredible ‘recharge’. Be careful not to exceed 30 mins as body will go into deeper sleep and wake up groggy - I like 27 mins. Don’t worry about falling asleep right away. Laying down and letting your mind wander for this time still has significant restorative effects.

Sleep in cycles of 90 mins (and add how long it usually takes you to fall asleep) e.g. 7:30hrs, 9:00hrs
(sleepti.me - to calculate this) (Sleep Cycle app also useful)

Last caffeinated beverage at 1pm (a quarter dose of caffeine is still in your system after 12 hours. (Eg 2 coffees in the morning is the equivalent to drinking half a cup of coffee right before bed. (I sleep 10x better with no caffeine even when only having 1x coffee @ 8am.)

sleep with black out (cover LEDS w/ black tape)

sleep with ear plugs (no noise) or white noise machine can mimic silence too (makes it so your brain doesn’t notice sudden noises during the night)

60-65 degrees F (16-18 C) sleep temp is optimal:

Fresh air is good if possible (crack a window).

As soon as possible after you wake get into sunlight to set circadian rhythm 2-10 mins is fine.

Use warm light (nightshift on phone) and fl.ux on your laptop.

Avoid bright white lights/LEDs after sunset.

Only use bed for sleep and sex.

Weed and alcohol in any amounts (yes, even one glass of dry red). WILL inhibit REM and deep stages significantly.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Magnesium is a life saver. Many many years ago, after I had started to actually work out a decent amount, I started to get pretty bad leg cramps. Usually when I was sleeping. This especially started to happen during biking season.

I remember a friend saying that he takes magnesium pills when he was a competitive biker. Like magic, the day I started taking magnesium is the day I stopped getting the horrible cramps. It also does wonders for good sleep.

I saw an advertisement on a JP Sears vídeo for magical magnesium with like 7 types of mag. So seeing as I already had 2 types at home, I found a pill with 3 additional types. So taking 5 forms of magnesium and my dreams got wild and vivid and I actually remembered them, which is something that never happens. I have since run out and only take 1 type as that's all I have left in Mexico, and my dreams are back to normal, which sucks.

My quality of sleep down here is pure crap. I wonder if it has to do with all the noise and the light. It's not possible to sleep in a dark environment as everyone has massive light on their roof area which streams straight into my windows. Black out blinds maybe? Sleep mask maybe? I need to do something. I feel groggy literally every morning that I wake up here.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Still waiting for my refund RMA... and I asked why my review was not posted.

Still waiting...

And now I'm telling everyone in the Unscripted Network.

Usually I don't like throwing small business companies under the bus, but when they start gaming reviews, they deserve what they got coming.

I saw an AD (not a recommendation) for a device that claimed improved sleep. Several value skews incited me to buy, including a refund guarantee. I bought. After 2 weeks of use, the product was a total disaster, I asked for a refund. I posted a bad review, which they quarantined. In short, they're gatekeeping reviews. Liars. Not a Productocracy. This is why I'm skeptical of massive ad pushes.

In a follow up to the prior message, a lot of folks asked what company my message was about. Since my negative review (which was purely factual) was not posted by this company (they are gaming the reviews) I decided to let you know who cannot be trusted: Apollo Neuro. Oh yes, and it's been 3 days since I asked for a refund to which they replied with "technical difficulties" - just like the technical difficulties that exists for their crap product. BUYER BEWARE.

JJ Schneider

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Apr 3, 2020
Berlin
MODERATOR NOTE: Use this thread to discuss bio-hacking techniques, a proactive approach to improve performance.NOTHING IN THIS THREAD SHOULD BE CONSTRUED AS MEDICAL ADVICE, BY MYSELF, THE POST CONTRIBUTOR, OR MY COMPANY. THIS SIMPLY IS A DISCUSSION ON STRATEGIES OR TACTICS THAT YOU HAVE FOUND HELPFUL, OR NOT HELPFUL.

This thread is starting to get pretty good, so I here is a quick summary of the themes mentioned so far for your convenience:
-Cold shower + Sauna
-Breath exercise, for example the Wim Hof method.
- wearable tech. Ive seen great things about whoop strap, oura ring, fitbit
-take the right version of supplements. See post #5
-use a standing desk
-get 30 min real sunlight
-fasting is great. I believe around 3 days is enough to empty your liver.
-float tank
-nicotine
-meditation

Original post below:

Just wanted to share a really simple and absolutely terrible, yet immensely effective practice.

Cold showers really do work, but you have to go all the way, so your muscles and vessels constrict, pushing your blood and lymphatic fluid out of their positions. As i understand, it also shocks your mitochondria (your cells' energy pretty much), and increases their effectiveness. If you want the details, there is tons of research on exactly what happens around the internet.
If its too intense for you (it was for me), you can try targeting one bodypart at a time. I found just cooling my leg, then the next, and so on, was more manageable, and then work your way into the real deal.

If you have any kind of inflammation, fatigue, or brainfog, I highly recommend giving it a try for a few days. Even if you just flash cold/hot/cold/hot for a few seconds, it does help a lot.

What other simple health tricks do you do?
Grounding, meaning walking with your bare feet for 10-15 minutes outside (grass or soil is best). Oil pulling.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I can attest to this. Cyano is cheap and is terrible for people who are afflicted with MTHFR gene mutation. Always pick the supplement with methyl-b12 ... I've refuse to buy stuff with cyano-B12: VALUE SKEW!!
+++1. I have several MTHFR mutations, but that was only part of my problem. About 5-6 years ago I realized a bunch of problems I had were almost certainly caused by mercury toxicity. By accident I found that **LARGE** doses of methyl B12 tamed the night-terrors and screaming-meemies agitation that had been destroying my sleep for several years. And I mean **LARGE** doses. The RDA is 2.4 MICROgrams per day, and usually very little of that is absorbed. I experimented with several delivery mechanisms (pills, creams, injections, inhaled, etc) and finally found a topical oil product. It was claimed to deliver nearly 100% absorption, and it worked far better than anything I'd tried. Even so, I was using 5 to 7 MILLIgrams per day -- 2000-3000 TIMES the RDA. Fortunately there really is no toxic level of B12, and apparently I needed it. If I tried to reduce the dose, I started crawling out of my skin, and spent 2am-5am every night in a semi-awake nightmare state, thrashing around in bed like I was having a grand mal seizure. Eventually I had all my mercury fillings removed (VERY carefully, hazmat protocols) and replaced with non-toxic fillings, and *poof*! Overnight the problems vanished. I didn't need to use a bit of B12 for the next 4 years. Then I detoxed the mercury left in my body and those problems are 99.9% gone.

MJ, you're having trouble sleeping? I had something that gave me the best sleep I've had in years. I've got cancer, and there is a lot of well-supported research that says THC kills cancer cells. Since there's almost no decent medical research with cannabis (in the US), there are "word of mouth" protocols to treat cancer with THC. So since I was doing every thing I could find to fight the damn cancer, I jumped right in. A typical recreational dose of THC is about 10-20mg, similar to a pint or two of microbrew. Well I was doing ****700mg**** per day, for months. I used an "alternate" delivery method (suppositories) that means you don't get nearly as whacked by it, but I was still half-stoned for about 9 months. I think I lost 30-40 IQ points the whole time I was on it, but boy howdy did I sleep well!!! :hilarious:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Have you tried taping your mouth closed when you sleep Mj? Just a small square of surgical tape to keep it closed.

Maybe you have a little bit of sleep apnea, this could fix it. Plus it’s just really good for you. Breathe by James Nestor goes into a lot more detail.

Also is your room 100% dark? This has a huge impact on sleep.

Here’s Andrew Hubermans sleep supplement recommendation if you want to try this as well. It’s from a Joe Rogan podcast if you are interested in hearing him talk more about how and why he chooses them, and not melatonin.

“That cocktail of 50 mg of apigenin, 300–400 mg of magnesium threonate or bisglycinate, and 200–400 mg of theanine, for me, has been the best way to consistently fall asleep quickly and stay asleep most if not the entire night, which, for me, is about 7–8 hours.”

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's my review...

And guess what? They have failed to post it, unless it is sitting in a queue. That might explain all the "great reviews!" as they gatekeep the negative ones. Waiting for my RMA for refund.

Well looks like they posted new reviews, and only the good ones.

My negative review is, of course, missing.

What a bunch of frauds.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
Been doing most of the things in this thread but still feel a bit burnt out working my job and working before and after the job- most notably that my frustration tolerance was low and I would hit an issue and just go get distracted with video games or even pacing around.

So, got psyopped into trying some zyn low nicotine pouches, hasn't been a full day yet but my frustration tolerance feels a lot higher. I'm having some focus and drive that I would maybe only naturally feel 20% of the time I sit down to work.

Now, despite what Attia or Hubermann say getting addicted to an addictive substance isn't good, I have wonky brain chemistry from ADHD but want to be able to find a more natural way to do this and get this drive. What I'm HOPING for is that once I quit the dayjob and don't have paychecks, the serious knowledge that I don't eat if I don't work and overcome problems will be able to drive me and help me cut out the bullsh!t or the waste and sense of loss of freetime (it's sunday afternoon and I have to WORK this week? Bah I should watch youtube instead I can work after work) will stop being a problem.
I wouldnt rely on nicotine. Addiction is a mechanism that makes everything else less enjoyable. Its a tool for high demand situations, not every day use. Personally I use a nicotine spray in a drink when I'm looking for the nicotine effect.
If you listen to Huberman i'm sure you know the effects of cold showers on your long term motivation. It sucks for 3 minutes, but you get lasting positive effects in terms of adrenaline and dopamine.

Michal__

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 13, 2023
1.5h meditation daily = need much less sleep, so the time investment doesnt matter, better focus than with modafinil, perform much better business-wise overall, more discipline,...

I can go through a book very fast and understand it much more than without the meditation.

Of course, most of you wont want to try this, but it is worth it.
Work on business tasks is much easier too.

You have to meditate without back support if you want to reduce your sleep need!

Another favorite of mine - 1 meal after 12+ hours of work on my business on an empty stomach.
I am much more focused when I do that.
Alex Becker does the same thing.
Remove all distractions - it is easier to not procrastinate when you NEVER procrastinate. Obviously this is only temporary, until I get fastlane success.
But basically - I only watch movies etc (or try to anyway, sometimes I break this rule, unfortunately) when someone else invites me.

Your brain automatically gets addicted to the easiest thing you do!
If work on your business is the easiest thing you do during the day, you will get addicted to working on your business!
If YouTube is the easiest thing you can bet that you will want to watch more of it! Maybe even waste a full day there.

Adaptogens (rhodiola rosea, ashwaganha,..) - manage stress.
Armodafinil - free concentration with less side effects than Adderall.

Get blood work done from time to time to see if you have any deficiencies.

Do some sport / workout - this is huge for self-discipline.

Last edited:

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
1.5h meditation daily = need much less sleep, so the time investment doesnt matter, better focus than with modafinil, perform much better business-wise overall, more discipline,...

I can go through a book very fast and understand it much more than without the meditation.

Of course, most of you wont want to try this, but it is worth it.
Work on business tasks is much easier too.

You have to meditate without back support if you want to reduce your sleep need!

Another favorite of mine - 1 meal after 12+ hours of work on my business on an empty stomach.
I am much more focused when I do that.
Alex Becker does the same thing.
Remove all distractions - it is easier to not procrastinate when you NEVER procrastinate. Obviously this is only temporary, until I get fastlane success.
But basically - I only watch movies etc (or try to anyway, sometimes I break this rule, unfortunately) when someone else invites me.

Your brain automatically gets addicted to the easiest thing you do!
If work on your business is the easiest thing you do during the day, you will get addicted to working on your business!
If YouTube is the easiest thing you can bet that you will want to watch more of it! Maybe even waste a full day there.

Adaptogens (rhodiola rosea, ashwaganha,..) - manage stress.
Armodafinil - free concentration with less side effects than Adderall.

Get blood work done from time to time to see if you have any deficiencies.

Do some sport / workout - this is huge for self-discipline.

I can totally second this.

30 min x2 meditations a day

I quit alcohol and cigarettes', also drugs,

I quit Sugar and now quitting the Salt

2 meals a day, mostly the greens.

30 mins workout daily and then a cold shower.

I have been following the above routine for more than 6 months now and I have become more than 2x productive than I was before.

@Michal__ since you seem tuned to your body, heres some niche techniques based on on the work of Amanda Fielding and navy seals (separately).

Amanda suggests that increasing blood supply to the brain allows for a higher function, and that substances that allow you to trap blod there/"get high" are beneficial for this physiological reason.

This mirrors the "navy seal power nap", which is 7 minute nap with your legs elevated, to increase blood concentration in your head.

There are also some yoga theory aimed at blood flow to the head.

I'm curious if you would see any benefit from this, and perhaps allow you to be tuned in with less meditation.

I do take a power nap of 15 minutes during the lunch time and I guess I need to buy myself a zero gravity chair! :thumbsup:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Salt is bad only if you have insulin resistance, which impairs your kidney function, among 20 other physiological processes.

Sodium is an essential mineral for maintaining health (a.k.a. remaining alive).

Animals in the wild will go to extreme lengths to acquire it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG9TMn1FJzc

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.