The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A $7.55 cup of ramen noodles

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Eliminate all unnecessary expenses. That is the solemn decree for the entrepreneur starting a business with virtually no start up capital ( so- most of us, yeah?)

Thou shall not purchase garments from establishments lacking a sign that reads "Goodwill".
Thou shall not see Adam Sandler movies in theaters.
Thou shall not fly. Not even Spirit. Instead thou shalt take the Greyhound bus.

Thou shall not pinch a penny from thine a$$ that is not directly inserted into thy business.

Saving funds to invest in your business is imperative.

But there's one area in your life that you shouldn't cheap out on, and that is your health. As it turns out, It'll actually put more money in your pocket.

A Maruchan instant ramen noodle lunch costs 30 cents at Target.

( If you're going to eat them, I highly recommend spicy chicken. But don't).

I ate a truly revolting amount of these things during college. When choosing between a 30 cent cup of cancer and a more expensive plate of lean proteins and veggies, your decision to fork over a couple more bucks might be influenced by fears of life shortening consequences.

"What if it turns out that this delicious salty treat is making my body rot internally?" Gee, I don't want to die before I'm 40!" What's the point of being rich if I'm buried in the ground?!?"

An excellent point.

However, when I was eating this garbage, I couldn't force myself to care about the long term.

So for those of us who have trouble giving a shit about say, 10-15 years from now, let me share some immediate benefits with you.

Ones that will effect your business today.

We all know that food is fuel. Yeah, a calorie is a calorie. However, we don't process all of them at the same rate. Your body turns the vast majority of what you eat into glucose- which is responsible for providing your brain the energy it needs to stay alert.

When you shovel pasta, white bread, soda and cereal into your pie hole, you can expect a quick glucose release. You get an energy boost, but you also get a slump that lasts for much longer.

A slump in physical energy. A slump in mental creativity. A dismantling of the weapons every entrepreneur needs to wield when battling it out in a war for the market's attention.

avoid these processed foods like the plague. They tend to contain large amounts of salt, sugar and fat- and might just convince your brain that drop shipping unbranded Ali-Express items is going to make you a millionaire.

In contrast, unprocessed foods promote sustained energy release over a longer period of time, since they have a lower glycemic index rating than processed foods. Baked or grilled chicken is your friend, McGriddles are not.

Ok. ok. I know. Nutrition, nutrition. Health, health. Cheeseburger= orgasm, vegetable = sadness.

What the hell does any of this have to do with a $7.55 cup of ramen freakin' noodles?

Well, the national minimum wage is $7.25 per hour in the United States.

What if that 30 cent cup of delicious, and nutritionally bankrupt ramen costs you a mere hour of productive working time?

Just an hour.

Cost of ramen ( 30 cents) + opportunity cost of lost work hour ( $7.25) = $7.55.

The real question becomes, what do you value your time at? I can tell you that I value my time way higher than $7.25 an hour. But even if I got paid minimum wage, It would STILL be a dumb investment. Why? Because I can make a healthy meal for less than $7.55. Holla at ya boy Trader Joe.

Even at 30 cents a cup, you're still the one getting stiffed.

Your nutritional choices could very well determine your life. Who will you choose to be?

Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 11.30.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 11.30.50 PM.png

Sources:

The amazing connection between food and productivity – A Life of Productivity ( above photos are the property of Chris Bailey).
What You Eat Affects Your Productivity

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Must read, rep+, wish I had this when I was twenty-two and baked on Ramen.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
The baby tiger sold me.

Also, as someone who has multiple auto-immune issues in check/remission/healed from finding paleo, I concur. Changing my diet changed my life. Sometimes I'll go through slumps with my decision making, but I also try & remind myself that I'm buying back the last two decades of my life as a fully functional, physically capable, clear headed person.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
This is absolutely a philosophy of life to live by. In just one month with the elimination of wheat from my diet and the addition of a few supplements (Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D), I have lost weight and have had a surge in energy. This has translated into increased focus and time spent working on my business.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
It's not even about cutting costs. For most people (myself included, I'll admit) that own a business, it's all about the convenience. I generally don't have time (FALSE - I have the time but I don't prioritize it correctly!) to shop for the right food and make the right meals. However, it's something I have been working on and focusing on.

You can eat very healthy on a tight budget. Not a ramen budget, but close. Here's what I do to save money and preserve my health:

1. IF you are budget conscious, stop drinking alcohol. Arguably healthier (depending on how much you drink), will definitely help your energy levels, and will provide an immediate boost to your wallet. Me? I don't buy beer. I'll occasionally drink a beer, but they kind of drag me down. I buy very nice Whiskey and Bourbon to sip on, and spend less in the long run. It also incentivizes me to drink less. No one pounds good bourbon. That's a no-no. Unless maybe you are a wannabe rapper or something.

2. Cut WAY back on meat/dairy which is the expensive stuff. Non organic meat is (probably) really bad for you. The American diet is (probably) really bad for you too, in terms of how much meat it contains. Also, meat is pretty darn expensive (unless you buy the cheap stuff, again, bad for you anyway). Same as with alcohol, buy really nice meat and eat it sparingly. You enjoy it more and it's healthier for you and easier on your wallet.

3. Shop at places like ALDI. Or wherever you can find reasonably priced organic fruits and veggies. If you shop around, you won't spend a fortune on the good stuff (fruit but mainly veggies) and you can have 75% of your diet consist of it.

Junk food and fast food always appear cheap on the surface... but seriously once you total up what you actually spend, and figure out what you could buy from a discount grocery store for the same amount... you realize what a disservice you are doing to yourself and your finances.

No "snack" food. No food from gas stations! 1 bag of chips is cheap, 1 bag of chips every day is not cheap. Just go to Cosco and buy the largest size of your favorite nuts and keep them on hand to snack on throughout the day to take the edge off.

Also from Cosco buy the largest size of a good healthy grain to use as a base. Like Quinoa. Makes it super easy and convenient to use the same general framework for every meal. Base of grain, add greens, add some combo of veggies prepared how you like, and done. This is seriously so dirt cheap.

No desserts. Just buy fresh fruit and when you have a crazing cut up some strawberries in yogurt. Way better than Krispy Kreme trust me.

Benefits of all this?

You'll save money.
You'll have more energy.
You'll get more done.
You won't feel groggy.
You'll spring out of bed (I do, anyway, when I eat right)
You'll lose weight.

As a last note - make sure you don't buy a cup of coffee every day from Starbucks. It will make you poor and you will never be a millionaire if you do. If you eliminate the coffee from your routine, and add the compounding effect of interest, the money you save *could* be enough to retire on a small private island by the age of 50. Trust me, I heard it on a radio program once.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
One thing I started this summer and will really go full throttle with in the fall is buying frozen, pre-cooked food and doing a lazy meal prep. I can go to one of the local butcher shops and buy 5lbs of cooked & frozen chicken cut into fajita sized strips for $20 and a 5lb bag of frozen broccoli for $5. Double it up and that's lunch and dinner for a week.

I can easily get raw chicken breast at $2/lb, but then I have to actually cook it up. In that 20 minutes or so of cooking I can easily make the $2 spent.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
I haven't heard of this guy before. His blog looks like a reasonable place to spend some "down time" surfing around. Not as egregious a waste of time as Facebook or the news. Thanks for the link.

Sully1994

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Must read, rep+, wish I had this when I was twenty-two and baked on Ramen.

Thanks MJ! Glad you enjoyed. I've been working on trying to shift my perspective from seeing things in terms of "money" to terms of "time"

Sully1994

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
It's not even about cutting costs. For most people (myself included, I'll admit) that own a business, it's all about the convenience. I generally don't have time (FALSE - I have the time but I don't prioritize it correctly!) to shop for the right food and make the right meals. However, it's something I have been working on and focusing on.

You can eat very healthy on a tight budget. Not a ramen budget, but close. Here's what I do to save money and preserve my health:

1. IF you are budget conscious, stop drinking alcohol. Arguably healthier (depending on how much you drink), will definitely help your energy levels, and will provide an immediate boost to your wallet. Me? I don't buy beer. I'll occasionally drink a beer, but they kind of drag me down. I buy very nice Whiskey and Bourbon to sip on, and spend less in the long run. It also incentivizes me to drink less. No one pounds good bourbon. That's a no-no. Unless maybe you are a wannabe rapper or something.

2. Cut WAY back on meat/dairy which is the expensive stuff. Non organic meat is (probably) really bad for you. The American diet is (probably) really bad for you too, in terms of how much meat it contains. Also, meat is pretty darn expensive (unless you buy the cheap stuff, again, bad for you anyway). Same as with alcohol, buy really nice meat and eat it sparingly. You enjoy it more and it's healthier for you and easier on your wallet.

3. Shop at places like ALDI. Or wherever you can find reasonably priced organic fruits and veggies. If you shop around, you won't spend a fortune on the good stuff (fruit but mainly veggies) and you can have 75% of your diet consist of it.

Junk food and fast food always appear cheap on the surface... but seriously once you total up what you actually spend, and figure out what you could buy from a discount grocery store for the same amount... you realize what a disservice you are doing to yourself and your finances.

No "snack" food. No food from gas stations! 1 bag of chips is cheap, 1 bag of chips every day is not cheap. Just go to Cosco and buy the largest size of your favorite nuts and keep them on hand to snack on throughout the day to take the edge off.

Also from Cosco buy the largest size of a good healthy grain to use as a base. Like Quinoa. Makes it super easy and convenient to use the same general framework for every meal. Base of grain, add greens, add some combo of veggies prepared how you like, and done. This is seriously so dirt cheap.

No desserts. Just buy fresh fruit and when you have a crazing cut up some strawberries in yogurt. Way better than Krispy Kreme trust me.

Benefits of all this?

You'll save money.
You'll have more energy.
You'll get more done.
You won't feel groggy.
You'll spring out of bed (I do, anyway, when I eat right)
You'll lose weight.

As a last note - make sure you don't buy a cup of coffee every day from Starbucks. It will make you poor and you will never be a millionaire if you do. If you eliminate the coffee from your routine, and add the compounding effect of interest, the money you save *could* be enough to retire on a small private island by the age of 50. Trust me, I heard it on a radio program once.

Ah yes, the sage wisdom of the Latte Factor. Here's a hilarious read I think you might enjoy.

http://www.zimmermancomedy.com/automatic-millionaire-the-latte-factor/

Sully1994

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
One thing I started this summer and will really go full throttle with in the fall is buying frozen, pre-cooked food and doing a lazy meal prep. I can go to one of the local butcher shops and buy 5lbs of cooked & frozen chicken cut into fajita sized strips for $20 and a 5lb bag of frozen broccoli for $5. Double it up and that's lunch and dinner for a week.

I can easily get raw chicken breast at $2/lb, but then I have to actually cook it up. In that 20 minutes or so of cooking I can easily make the $2 spent.

This is super smart, and sounds delicious .I actually enjoy cutting up and cooking vegetables, as it prevents me from just guzzling food down like the vacuum cleaner from the teleubbies

Shortypants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 15, 2017
NL
I heard some people talking about the benefits of intermittent fasting and how it increases your focus, haven't done much research though, and haven't tried it myself but I will next week.
O and btw take some omega 3 fish oil pills, u can get like 100 of them for 5$, helped me tons with CLEAN focus.
Read this book called the ultramind solution, where he basically explains what the effects of all nutrients are on your body, like zinc poisoning from eating too much tuna. Great post btw OP

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I generally don't have time (FALSE - I have the time but I don't prioritize it correctly!) to shop for the right food and make the right meals

If convenience is an issue, one would be better off skipping meals (intermittent fasting) then eating Ramen. Probably a double, cascading benefit there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.