The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

50,000 views in 4 days!

Marketing, social media, advertising

atmosphere13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
I posted an article on my blog on Tuesday and didn't think much of it and in less than 4 days I have received over 50,000 visitors from that article.

Here is the popular article: http://www.knowledge...cover-yourself/

I am used to getting 10-50 visitors a day so this was a huge increase.

I submitted the article to DIgg and Reddit. Reddit accounted for about 20,000 visitors the first day then it went down and then facebook shares went up and accounted for the other half. I will say that Reddit visitors had very high bounce rates and very little subscribers came from them.

It was crazy I was at a housewarming party and I saw someone scanning my article on an ipad. I was like, "I wrote that!". And another scenario happened with friends mentioning the article over dinner and I was like, "that was mine!".

I think what helped out too:

1) After I realized the article was getting popular, I recorded a video of myself and put a clear call to action at the end asking user to subscribe, like facebook page, and share the article to impact more people. (immediately after I did this subscribers conversion increased)
2) I promoted my facebook posts (paid $30) to get my posts with link to article in front of more faces
3) Some very social people with a good following shared my article on their facebook page

3 Takeaways from writing this experience:

1) Hard work pays off. I spent an insane amount of time on this article (close to 20 hours).
2) Write with purpose. I was very passionate, angry and excited when I wrote the article for two days straight. It was coming from my core.
3) Keep it simple. I removed more than half of the content I wrote to make it extremely simple and reduced it from originally 20 to 13 lessons.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-06-10 at 10.22.13 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-06-10 at 10.22.13 PM.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 486

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Good job!
I'd be even more impressed if you can repeat this on another article or two. If so, you've probably got a nice idea of what people want to read from your site.
Keep up the good work.

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
Hey atmosphere. That really is impressive stuff. I'd love to read an article on how you did it and any reflections you have on the experience. A sort of lessons-learned. Is it repeatable and what you do differently next time?

GoodGuyGG

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 1, 2013
Awesome nice work man. Well thinking I have to to more work in my articles to. They are more the opposite of your awesome article.
Well to be honest that article and effort you spend into it deserves that.
My main problem is the language barrier guess I have to learn more english although I have a good mark in my alevels in english. Dont want to hijack this thread but if you can give me a good book advice to write better english you would make my day ^^

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I'm surprised that you don't have more comments for that amount of article visitors.

Do you think Disqus is part of the reason for the low comment count? I don't have a Disqus account, so I generally will just skip commenting on articles that use it. I wonder if many others feel the same.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great job. Writing from a passionate place is always a great foundation to work with.

Although I will disagree with lesson #7 ...

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I see that you embedded a lead capture form in the middle of the article for an interruption call-to-action. Smart man. Last I saw this was on Pat Flynn's blog.

How has that affected your conversions beyond the video and the lead capture form at the end of the article?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
CONGRATS ! I'm outside your market but there's some great advise there. LIVE OUT LOUD ! I think that is VERY marketable for your market.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I think I saw an article like this on the front page of yahoo.. Did you make it there as well?

I feel like thats where Ive seen it b ut maybe not. I never go on reddit so it def wasnt that

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Reddit is an odd beast. My first article I posted to Reddit got 10,000 views in two days. Every other one received nothing.

For the past year I've been wondering how one would try and use that site to actually sell a product, as the median of Reddit's userbase is between 16-22 and earns $0-25,000 a year. (Don't quote ME on it, I read that... on Reddit. Rofl)

Congrats on the views!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I've been wondering how one would try and use that site to actually sell a product, as the median of Reddit's userbase is between 16-22 and earns $0-25,000 a year. (Don't quote ME on it, I read that... on Reddit. Rofl)

Check the quantcast stats, they paint a pretty different picture. The 150k is very interesting as well as the age stats.

https://www.quantcast.com/reddit.com

Obviously not the best source but very interesting. I thought the same as you until I looked on quantcast

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
For the past year I've been wondering how one would try and use that site to actually sell a product,

You may already know this but you can advertise on reddit. Noah Kagan conducted a validation test for an idea he had using a $50 reddit ad. This was the birth of Appsumo.

How AppSumo was built for $50

:eek:fftopic:

atmosphere13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
I see that you embedded a lead capture form in the middle of the article for an interruption call-to-action. Smart man. Last I saw this was on Pat Flynn's blog.

How has that affected your conversions beyond the video and the lead capture form at the end of the article?

Yes, when I put the embedded subscribe option in the middle of the form and a video at the bottom with a call to action I saw my subscriptions immediately increase. Literally, minutes after.

atmosphere13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jul 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
Great job. Writing from a passionate place is always a great foundation to work with.

Although I will disagree with lesson #7 ...

haha I knew you would. I wrote that and literally thought that MJ would not approve of this lesson. I'm not telling people to go off and create a basket weaving business but if someone is going to create a business and their is a need in the market for what they already love to do then go do it.

charto911

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 3, 2013
Very impressive. What I think is most important about this is the following:

Pick out ways in which you could have monetized better in the future for receiving this insane amount of visitors in a short amount of time

Could you have added a pop-up with a special offer that was expiring in the next 24 hours?

Could you have had a special offer one for Facebook Referrals, Redditt, and Digg ?

Can you follow up with a remarketed email to the recent subscribers and or add a few more writers to do a brobible.com type of thing with "hot articles" this week

Great job man and mad props. I would also say that true web content marketing is writing about things you are passionate about and letting all of the links come natural and you showcasing 20 hours of work showed that this worked. Imagine doing this twice a week for 3 years straight. Imagine your traffic stats and potential?

Best of luck and let me now if I can help in any way possible

punitbook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 16, 2013
Its looking great this represent that keep working in good way is to get success rather then running here to there for increasing traffic. People keep increase links for getting rank that divert traffic after competing huge competitors and then we get chance for traffic. But writing good content and promoting it to various social networking sites will remain positive in SEO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.