The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

38 steps to becoming a trader

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Found this on one investing forum. Kinda stuck with me.. these steps are consistent with any specialty in life tho..

38 steps to becoming a trader

1. We accumulate information - buying books, going to seminars and researching.
2. We begin to trade with our 'new' knowledge.
3. We consistently 'donate' and then realise we may need more knowledge or information.
4. We accumulate more information.
5. We switch the commodities we are currently following.
6. We go back into the market and trade with our 'updated' knowledge.
7. We get 'beat up' again and begin to lose some of our confidence. Fear starts setting in.
8. We start to listen to 'outside news' and to other traders.
9. We go back into the market and continue to 'donate'.
10. We switch commodities again.
11. We search for more information.
12. We go back into the market and start to see a little progress.
13. We get 'over-confident' and the market humbles us.
14. We start to understand that trading successfully is going to take more time and more knowledge than we anticipated.

MOST PEOPLE WILL GIVE UP AT THIS POINT, AS THEY REALISE WORK IS INVOLVED.

15. We get serious and start concentrating on learning a 'real' methodology.
16. We trade our methodology with some success, but realise that something is missing.
17. We begin to understand the need for having rules to apply our methodology.
18. We take a sabbatical from trading to develop and research our trading rules.
19. We start trading again, this time with rules and find some success, but over all we still hesitate when we execute.
20. We add, subtract and modify rules as we see a need to be more proficient with our rules.
21. We feel we are very close to crossing that threshold of successful trading.
22. We start to take responsibility for our trading results as we understand that our success is in us, not the methodology.
23. We continue to trade and become more proficient with our methodology and our rules.
24. As we trade we still have a tendency to violate our rules and our results are still erratic.
25. We know we are close.
26. We go back and research our rules.
27. We build the confidence in our rules and go back into the market and trade.
28. Our trading results are getting better, but we are still hesitating in executing our rules.
29. We now see the importance of following our rules as we see the results of our trades when we don't follow the rules.
30. We begin to see that our lack of success is within us (a lack of discipline in following the rules because of some kind of fear) and we begin to work on knowing ourselves better.
31. We continue to trade and the market teaches us more and more about ourselves.
32. We master our methodology and our trading rules.
33. We begin to consistently make money.
34. We get a little over-confident and the market humbles us.
35. We continue to learn our lessons.
36. We stop thinking and allow our rules to trade for us (trading becomes boring, but successful) and our trading account
continues to grow as we increase our contract size.
37. We are making more money than we ever dreamed possible.
38. We go on with our lives and accomplish many of the goals we had always dreamed of.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
awesome post, thanks.

Do you have any investor books you would recommend?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I'm fairly certain I have been through 1-36 in the past 2 weeks.

D

DeletedUser394

Special thanks to the 'One Post Wonder' who bumped this thread, because I missed it and it is indeed quality.

D'akujem :)

RideHD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 13, 2011
Virginia
Awesome

Great post - recognizing myself in there. :eusa_clap:

Looking forward to getting to the last two on your list, myself!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
very good post. very true. thanks!

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Great post, I like it!!!

I especially agree with #13. There have been plenty of times over the years where Ive had a good month (or three), and began to get a little cocky thinking I was a "pro". Let me tell ya, whenever you find yourself thinking that, know that the market can body-slam ya back to reality REAL quick, lol. Trading is not a game for those with weak stomachs, thats for sure! :)

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Great post, I like it!!!

I especially agree with #13. There have been plenty of times over the years where Ive had a good month (or three), and began to get a little cocky thinking I was a "pro". Let me tell ya, whenever you find yourself thinking that, know that the market can body-slam ya back to reality REAL quick, lol. Trading is not a game for those with weak stomachs, thats for sure! :)

One I don't see up there but I think should be is greed. I know there has been some times where things are good with a few stocks, I get greedy and end up riding them down because you think they will recover. Jim Cramer said this on mad money last night and it caught my ears quick too. haha

aadg33

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 16, 2011
Special thanks to the 'One Post Wonder' who bumped this thread, because I missed it and it is indeed quality.

D'akujem :)

Thanks D'akujem. It was actually my FIRST POST on the forum...Thanks for noticing that. I read many threads on trading yesterday, but this is the only one that caught my eye. I found it to be very valuable. I think, with trading, psychology is much more important than the "play" people try to memorize.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.