The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

3 letter domains

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I am negotiating for a business right now that owns a three letter domain. The business has little to know value, the domain has 2-3k visitors a month. The business has 3 related domains as well that are not three letter domains.

I know the different times I have seen them, three letter domains fetch a premium. Anyone have any ideas what it would be worth so I can figure that into my offer?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
That kind of depends entirely on what the three letters are, doesn't it?

dog.com != ghh.com

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I'm not sure 3 letter domains are worth too much if they don't spell anything. I know you can buy junky 4 letter domains like tpzr.com all day long for $40 or so on the secondary market.

Also, is it .com. .net????

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I guess the best example I could use would be tmz.com, a viable business. Now imagine there is a business call the millionaire zone which is a large cap company, plus about 4 others similar large cap companies. How would you assign value to tmz.com outside of the business numbers. Just in case I was not clear, tmz.com is not the one I am looking at.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Personally I don't see much inherent value in 3 letter domain names. I own the domain js.ca (which is my initials and country code for Canada) and since 2000 no one has even made me an offer of over $500 for it.

LG is the only company that comes to mind that actively promotes using this type of domain.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
one just sold on sedo today for 20,500, another is expiring in a few hours and is at 15,000. Another closes in 38 hours and is at 10k. So I now have a good figure to subtract out. Thanks for all the input.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Since your question is answered, maybe you don´t mind if I hijack this thread with an additional question:

What about three letter domains for the new top level domains like .mobi and .asia? My feeling is that those will lack acceptance for a long time, so it is preferrable to get a .com domain even if the name has to be quite lengthy. But maybe that is not true.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
There's nothing "top level" about them. They are "bottom of the barrel".

Are you sure about that?

taxi.mobi (75.111$), dating.mobi (73.000$), homes.mobi (53.700$), motels.mobi (47.000$), hotel.mobi (46.000$), date.mobi (40.000$), adult.mobi (30.000$), kiss.mobi (23.777$), flights.mobi ( 22.500$), holidays.mobi (22.500$), gay.mobi (18.000$), holiday.mobi (14.500$), flight.mobi (14.000), limo.mobi (12.750$), love.mobi (12.750$), humor.mobi (12.500$), investment.mobi (12.000$), map.mobi (11.870$), girl.mobi (11.501$), beauty.mobi (10.756$), gps.mobi (9.500$), lesbians.mobi (9.500$), gas.mobi (9.100$) office.mobi (8.851 $), vacation.mobi (8.600$), viajes.mobi (8.320$), translate.mobi (8.100$), resorts.mobi (7.550$), lesbian.mobi ($7.500$), personals.mobi (5.825$), camera.mobi (5.450$), trip.mobi (5.100$).

Off course, if you had dating.com would be much more, but selling for 73k a domain you bought for $20 seems good business to me :)

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
I think they (meaning the .mobi, .asia, etc) will catch on soon enough. As Jorge has allready shown, they're definately on their way up, espescially in value.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
I hope this is a related topic: All I know is I tried to buy an alternate domain name for the company I work at once and some Korean kid who barely spoke English wouldn't tell me a number for which he was holding out. How lame was that? I gave him a number I thought was reasonable because I knew the domain was worthless (the company at which I'm employed does not have a common name)...the kid talked himself out of a sale by being ridiculous, rude and obtuse.

Dealing with cyber-squatters is like dealing with scum. There's a very fine line between professional resellers and the rest who are just jerks who think they run the background of the internet. They both try to command very high prices, but at least one is professional and polite. If anyone's considering this as their fast track to success, I caution them strongly to make sure their morals are in place. By which I mean just because you're trying to get the best business deal it doesn't mean you're trying to hold someone over the barrel and be the shadiest character in town just to make the biggest scratch. It's not a video game; it's business.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Off course .com is the king and always will be, I'm not arguing with that. I'm just saying that other domains can also be a good business for domain flipping, not parking.

THEKID105

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2008
I don't really know but before you spend your hard earned money you may want to do a search on the 3 letter domains availability. What I mean is if it ends in .com then search to see if the same is available as a .net. If it is you may be able to buy register it and pull close to the same traffic. I wish you well with it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.