The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2nd Annual Junk-A-Thon

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
!!2nd annual Junk-A-Thon!! Challenge
The Goal: One month of reducing our material positions. Who can sell/donate the most unwanted stuff in the next month. Ebay, Craigslist, Ebid, Bonanzle, yard sale, donate or any other method you can think of is game.

Two champions will be crowned:

-Who makes the most amount of $$$
-Who gets rid of the largest volume of stuff.

Rules (simplified from last year):
>>>>>
Challenge Starts Today (Nov 1st) and closes at midnight on Nov 30th. (no reason to delay, plus all auctions will need to be posted prior to Thanksgiving so this will not impact the holidays)

Items purchased as investments will count this year. If its not good investment it counts as junk, sell it and move funds into a better vehicle.

The actions for items on Ebay or other sites must close prior to the end of the challenge to count. Items on Craigslist or other similar sites must be sold by the end of the challenge.

The prize for most items sold/donated is based on number "lots" not number of items in the lot. For example the 4 mustang rims count as one item not 4 items, unless you sold them to 4 different people. An Ebay item counts as a lot.

Items donated to charity or given to someone else will count toward “most items†award. 1 standard tall kitchen garbage counts as one item. Other items larger than a garbage bag count as one item (TV’s, couch, kids bike…)

Following this same logic, trash can earn you credit. A tall kitchen garbage bag counts as one item. Normal everyday trash does not count only stuff generated during cleanouts.
>>>>>

!!!Good Luck!!!

For some background go to:
-Last years Junk-A-Thon
-Part B and step two of Russ's Plan

-The original thread I started the Junk-A-Thon Life Altering Event

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Why is that when you declutter your environment, your mind also seems to declutter? When my desk is neat and tidy, I get shit done...

I agree.... ...Its cool that something as simple as tidying up your home base can free your mind and put you into ACTION mode, and motivate you to get stuff done.

I could not agree more, every time I clear out the office, clean off my desk and get things setup, I get so much more crap done and the best part is I don't invent extra unimportant stuff to do becouse I don't have all sorts of distractions…

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Added Rule: Returns count towards both prizes. If you have 10 pairs of shorts you purchased becouse they were on sale, return them and get the cash...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Perfect timing... working on my closet's mess this weekend.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Spent most of the day clearing out stuff. Took at least 40lbs of toys to goodwill. dismantled some old furniture and put it on the burn pile for the bonfire party in 2 weeks. hauled out multiple loads of trash bags of stuff to go to dump. took 3 pieces of furniture to the dump.

This is on top of the stuff done over the past month. Today didn't net any cash, but over the last month, have sold $14k+ of stuff.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
At the end of last years Junk-A-Thon I posted a picture of this:

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture1975t-target-room-oct-31st.jpg

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture1976t-target-room-oct-31st.jpg

Our acumilation of crap, the goal to keep on gutting and post results at the next Junk-A-Thon. Made some progress (current state):

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture2136t-room.jpg

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture2137t-room2.jpg

Still a ways to go! Keep on pluggin! Goal is to have a small art studio and play area for the kids and us...O-ya, anyone need a drafting table, I found two of them while cleaning:smx4:

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Another motivator:

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture2139t-bin.jpg

These were all full of clothes, some dating back over 20 years ago! My wife and I still had alot of our high school and college crap (we still have some left but only the really cool stuff) Half the bins were kids clothes which never seem to go away.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Tremendous personal accomplishment Scout!
No doubt, this will empower you in all areas of your life!
Rep++

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We just did some major de-cluttering today, in our great room. That may not sound like much, but the room is over 400 sq ft. We removed about 400# of stuff-- around 20 boxes/bins, some furniture, and a LOT of junk that had taken over my desk (Sharon and I have partner's desks (facing each other) off to the side in a niche).

We filled 4 trash bags (our little one produces impressive amounts of "artwork"-- some of which we keep, some of which we recycle . . .)

The 20 boxes/bins go downstairs-- that's our NEXT project (coming up soon)-- 1400 sq ft of accumulated stuff from all of the Inns, plus our personal stuff. We'll fill up TRAILERS full of stuff when we do that clean up.
I'm looking forward to it. Cleaning/de-cluttering my life always makes me feel good! :banana:

-Russ H.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
This is Awesome!

I can't participate right now, but I like it!

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Last year I did a bunch of mini challenges to keep folks going...

This year I only have one. Got this one from Fly Lady (a great site that helped my wife and I get on track with three munchkins running around)

The Mini-Challenge: Shine Your Sink

No matter what go to bed tonight with your sink cleaned and shined and anything on the counters within a 2' foot radius is clean dried and put away. Shined: means that you emptied the strainer and took and extra 30secounds to polish the knobs and facet.

That’s it simple, trained monkeys can do this one. Report back how your next day started...

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Folks we have hit the halfway point so post your progress...

Here is mine so far:

Garbage: 4 bags
Donations: 3 bags
$$$: 78 cents (found cleaning)

Not very impressive but a start...

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Months up!

Anyone out thier have any updates to close this years Junk-A-Thon out?

My final total:
Garbage: 7 bags
Donations: 5 bags
$$$: $4.14

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I sold;
generator
auger
air compressor
receiver hitch storage box

I gave away;
2 folding tables
massage chair
other chair
gymnastics mats
tent

Netted about $500.

It was great gettting rid of some big stuff that was taking up a lot of space and hasn't been used in years.

Looks like I have a buyer for another motorcycle, but he won't be able to come get it for another week. And the house goes on the market this week.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
GlobalWealth​
:eusa_clap:You are the 2nd annual Junk-A-Thon-Winner!!:eusa_clap:

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Yeah, I feel like I won the Lamont Sanford award.

FYI, house is now on the market. Not exactly junk, but it helps with the mobility goals.

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
I had a basement full of clothes, shoes, and other 'stuff' I've been wanting to sell for the last 4 months... Instead, I decided it wasn't worth the time/energy and donated it all, 19 garbage bags full. Then I went through all my old papers, business cards, photo's, yearbooks, magazines, and shredded/scanned everything I wanted and then tossed the rest. It feels like 1,000 pounds fell off my back.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
CoMp1eX, well done!!

We just had Lupus Foundation pickup another truck load of stuff... If you do a search for lupus pickup on Google they will come to your house...

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
My wife and I are ready the “Happiness Project†by Gretchen Rubin. The base of the book is the author tries to make her life better over a period of 12months. Each month she chooses a topic and makes improvements. Funny enough the first month deals with clutter. I thought she did a good job categorizing the types of clutter she has to deal with:

Nostalgic Clutter: Relics from earlier life.

Conservation Clutter: Things kept because they are useful but will never use. Like the 8 Pyrex pie plates I found when I cleaned out or pantry.

Bargain Clutter: Extra or unneeded stuff purchased because it was onsale.

Freebie Clutter: Gifts, Handouts, Giveaways, family objects passed down or sideways.

Crutch Clutter: Thing you use but know you shouldn’t. The back up socks that have toes in the toe just the other 20 pairs you own are all dirty.

Aspiration Clutter: Things owned but don’t know how to use or will never get to (Guitar, unicycle, broken furniture you plan on fixing and re-finishing)

Outgrown Clutter: Clothing, change in taste or style, change in home or location.

Buyers Remorse Clutter: Rather than admit it was a bad purchase you keep it anyway.

I added:
Garbage Clutter: The stuff you would throw out if you knew it was in your house, but it has been covered or tucked away that you don't even know it exists.

As for the rest of the book, still open, only read the first chapter on clutter...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.