The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20 Year Old College Student w/ some Success

Josh Shogren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Jun 20, 2016
Hey all,
My name is Josh Shogren and I am currently 20 years old and attending college. I have been trying to make money online since I was 14 years old, but just in the past few years have I started to see some success. I have had my successes so far in building up niche websites and then selling them. I sold my first site 2 years ago for $14,000 and I was pumped! From there, I continued to build my own sites, but soon realized it is much easier to buy already established sites, grow them and then flip them.

So for the past year or so I have been mainly focused on buying online businesses from places such as FE International and Flippa, growing them for 6-12 months and the selling them. Sometimes I don't sell the sites if I feel like the website is a good addition to my portfolio of websites.

A few months ago I sold another one of my niche sites that I started from scratch for $35,000. I used that money to add a few more sites to my portfolio. I currently have 7 sites on my portfolio that make anywhere from $5,000 - $7,500 depending on the month.

I have also dabbled in Amazon FBA, but my main day-to-day work involves running my websites or actively looking to add new sites.

I am looking forward to talking and meeting all of you on this forum. Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Hey all,
My name is Josh Shogren and I am currently 20 years old and attending college. I have been trying to make money online since I was 14 years old, but just in the past few years have I started to see some success. I have had my successes so far in building up niche websites and then selling them. I sold my first site 2 years ago for $14,000 and I was pumped! From there, I continued to build my own sites, but soon realized it is much easier to buy already established sites, grow them and then flip them.

So for the past year or so I have been mainly focused on buying online businesses from places such as FE International and Flippa, growing them for 6-12 months and the selling them. Sometimes I don't sell the sites if I feel like the website is a good addition to my portfolio of websites.

A few months ago I sold another one of my niche sites that I started from scratch for $35,000. I used that money to add a few more sites to my portfolio. I currently have 7 sites on my portfolio that make anywhere from $5,000 - $7,500 depending on the month.

I have also dabbled in Amazon FBA, but my main day-to-day work involves running my websites or actively looking to add new sites.

I am looking forward to talking and meeting all of you on this forum. Thank you!
Excellent start! Keep it up. Do not be satisfied. Do you create sites yourself or hire somebody?

Josh Shogren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Jun 20, 2016
Excellent start! Keep it up. Do not be satisfied. Do you create sites yourself or hire somebody?
Thank you! The goal is to keep growing and scaling what I am doing now. As for your question, I use Wordpress on all my sites so it is not very hard to create and run the sites.

Thanks for the kind welcome here!

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
So you mostly buy content sites you monetize with ads/affiliates?

G

GuestUserX09

Awesome, I've sold a few sites on Flippa, nothing exciting. I always noticed that some accounts were basically building stock templates and selling them by the dozens, they usually show traffic for a month or two and sell for a few hundred. It's cool to see the potential in 6-12 months of patience and growth. You're saying you find it more profitable growing established sites rather than building non-unique/templates and selling?

Josh Shogren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Jun 20, 2016
So you mostly buy content sites you monetize with ads/affiliates?
Yes, most of the sites that I purchase are content sites. I then grow the organic traffic via good keyword research + new content + SEO. I also focus a lot on optimizing the RPU for the site by switching themes, testing different ad layouts and other things.

Josh Shogren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Jun 20, 2016
Welcome..

Is the process for selling on flippa easy?
Thank you!

I have only sold a very small amount of sites on Flippa, I mainly purchase sites from there, though. However, I mainly sell my sites through FE International or EF. The overall process is very easy and painless as the seller. For example, FEI handled just about every single aspect of my site sale which was awesome.

Flippa on the other hand, takes a lot of effort as a seller because you have to create a good listing, answer comments, add people to GA and whole bunch of other things I would rather not be doing.

Josh Shogren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Jun 20, 2016
Awesome, I've sold a few sites on Flippa, nothing exciting. I always noticed that some accounts were basically building stock templates and selling them by the dozens, they usually show traffic for a month or two and sell for a few hundred. It's cool to see the potential in 6-12 months of patience and growth. You're saying you find it more profitable growing established sites rather than building non-unique/templates and selling?
Those types of sites you are talking about are all over Flippa, which is annoying because I have to sift through those to find the good sites. To answer your question, I do not build non-unique/template sites. However, I would rather buy a site making $500/month and grow it to $1000/month then build a site from scratch to $1000/month.

jesset17

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 23, 2016
Boise, ID
Congrats on your success, you are many steps ahead of me!

I stumbled across your website when starting up my first product to sell through Amazon FBA. Your case study was by far the most comprehensive I had found and was excited to see you were successful in your first listing as I hope to have the same success in the next couple of months. I have also been following your $6k website investment and flip, and would like to begin trying this out myself to grow my online marketing skills. For someone starting from square one, is there any books, classes, guides, etc that you would recommend? I understand that action is key but I still believe preparation is needed for any successful venture. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Wanna get rich?

Sell 6 of them and focus all your attention on the most promising one.

No your not smarter than this, no you don't have it figured out, no I'm not gonna read your rebuttal to why 7 is the best.

Focus on 1 and get rich, if not, stay poor. Goodluck

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Hey all,

welcome to the forum. you have done lots in short amount of time. you will find good advice here mostly. welcome

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...