The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 ideas that I'm looking for partners for

Idea threads

Yat Fung Kwan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento, Hong Kong
Yes, I get that, though I'm not sure I agree with your later comment about HR (which, like any non-technical role, has its place once things start to get bigger. Do you want your devs to be spending time on stuff like that when you have a group of 20 of them?) My issue is having the idea in the first place.
Ideas come from living. You just have to live your life fully to see them. Outside of the box is a saying like motivation. But to truly think outside of the box and not give a damn about mediocre people and their businesses so you can pick up society's missing pieces requires significant lifestyle changes. It requires the will to learn and the curiosity.

For me it is natural because I'm too curious with mild ADHD. But I understand the problem with not so curious people. Especially, reading through lines of words isn't really more appealing than a computer game, or TV etc. Often times, TVs and games kill imaginations because that's the instant gratification people are seeking after. Know enough from the tele to understand what new tech is out but not enough to be able to chit chat with coworkers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yat Fung Kwan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento, Hong Kong
But everything you mentioned, is just your perception.

Do you see where the problem is?

It's like a person with a hammer, thinking everything problem is a nail.
Person with a hammer is the entrepreneur. You have to keep punching those nails. (Keep failing)

I'm glad you're here to question the first idea. We need the critique to perfect an idea. Not everybody is Elon Musk. But there are plenty of YouTube trios out there. Even Walmart was Walter's family business. Some men prefer working alone but some men do work better with teams. Not all sizes fit all. Just like some businesses needed to be maintained and started by a team versus some don't.
You can compete in swimming on your own or with 3 relay partners but you have to have a team of 5 to play basketball. Business is just like sports. If there's enough people who feel it's hard to secure a team, let alone a good team. Then, it's a problem worth solving.
Think about a 1 man army investment and bringing in people by hiring. Some men coming on the team are simply looking for the paycheck. Often times, start up have to offer bigger paycheck to compete with big corps with their endless benefits and reputations. So, you ended up with a bunch of gold diggers with only motivation being your paycheck but in that same setting the will to share would lower the cost because other entrepreneurs are self motivated. Having a bunch of core members all losing sleep worrying about how well a business do is better than only you putting 100% of the efforts. It helps the company achieve bigger successes. Owning 5% of the next AMZN or WMT is better than owning a small business like an ice cream truck.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
@biophase I think this proves there is interest in the concept, which is great.

That said, the idea needs standardization to actually grow.
Haphazardly trying to coordinate and link up people who need documents moved is workable if people are willing to pay a premium.

But, a significant movement of goods via decentralized methods requires some level of reliable methodology to do it (I think...)

e.g., there were lots of ways to try to coordinate rides between cities, or to an airport before.

It took some effort, go on craigslist, write a post, read a post, find a person driving to Los Angeles.
Contact them, set it up, etc.

Could you do it? Yes
Was it super complicated? Not really.
Was it seamless? Not at all.

So, some people did it, fringe companies helped organize it, and the scale was small.

Then Uber made it utterly simple and frictionless and...well..... the rest is history.

--
I firmly believe if a standardized unit pack (or packs) were created, that allowed people driving anywhere, to move them... it changes the game.
Say you're driving to LA and have room for 3 packs.
You open the app and tell them you're coming in an hour.
You stop by depot, someone (or robot) loads 3 of them on roof, and you leave.

No talking to anyone, no organizing.
You go to drop off point in LA, they are unloaded, and with RFID tags, you get paid once they have been delivered only.
(and the RFID could allow a lot of other security features as well)

Is it a bit fanciful? I guess.

But, so was Uber, and now we call cars from our phone for strangers to pick us up in their own vehicles.
Think of it a bit deeper, why does this work so well (I don't mean the tech side)

Cars are designed to carry humans - and all humans predictably can fit in cars.
There is no guesswork about size/length height. People go inside cars, it's... it's a given.

If small scale cargo containers were standardized for this use... then we could, perhaps, see the exact same revolution.

Costs go down.
Speed goes up
Waiting is reduced.

And the company that develops it brings an unimaginable amount of value to anyone with a company, anyone with a car, or anyone who has ever left their apartment a single time to go anywhere.
Biophase sh*t on my linkedin idea awhile back, it's doing numbers now.

Ideas are important and so is execution.

Best of luck, ignore the doubters, it's always easy to criticize and talk. Nobody ever does the hard part - which is actually executing.

Martin Galli

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 27, 2019
Argentina
2. The second idea is an app that connect people with goods. Call it mule. So when people travel, they bring the goods with them for delivery in their carryon luggage, their cars. This will wipe out the need for UPS, FDX or Usps.
This idea can work greatly in 3 world countries where access to technology, cloth, and many other things is much more expensive than buying abroad.

Here I leave you the link to a site that is doing exactly that in South America.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PirateAK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 5, 2023
Ideas are worthless. Execution is where it is. To be on this forum, we are already far from the 80% and there's another 10% that would see this post, the posts above and below and do nothing.

A little background about myself, I am a junior Dev with C++. I hate to be identified as a Dev but I can bring to the table some coding skill. But I'm looking for a more senior architect and some others to work together to kick start an idea.

I want to solve two problems. It depends on how much response I can get which one I would focus on.

1. The worst part about starting up is finding people who are willing and committed to starting up. If you work a job to support yourself, chances are your co worker would just tell you to stop dreaming or would show some interest but wouldn't dare to take the leap with you. So I thought it would be perfect to start a platform to connect entrepreneurs together, to form business dream teams. So far, this forum is great but it didn't really act as a platform that links the dreamers together. I don't want to come off as the typical I want to start an app. Much rather a more attainable goal like a website which only serves desktop before the phones. (Java Swift). If enough pals are interested we can make a private discord, Slack to make it happen. I'm completely open. If at some stage, I'm not committing fully, other members can vote me out. Or if you take the idea and managed to make it work, all props to you being aggressive and strong.

2. The second idea is an app that connect people with goods. Call it mule. So when people travel, they bring the goods with them for delivery in their carryon luggage, their cars. This will wipe out the need for UPS, FDX or Usps.

EDIT1: I started a discord,

If you feel like you have coding skills involved or relevant skills that we will need later such as marketing...

AND most importantly if you feel like you are curious enough to work together. It's pointless to dream about the result but unwillingly to put in the work. I am planning to established a voting system so people would be able to kick out the people who isn't contributing. That includes me as well. If one day, I'm just leeching off the rest of you, I would get kicked as well.

EDIT 2: We have 2 active pals in the group now. Still looking for more.
Just joined and came across this discussion. I'm wondering did you ever get results, build your idea? I have a similar idea that involves packages being transported. My idea was about shipping items on boats traveling between say the west coast of America, California, Oregon and Washington to places like Alaska and Hawaii. Every year many vessels travel these waters to commercially or sport fish and with the high cost of fuel I think many of them would love to earn reasonable fees for transporting good on the journey. It could be like uber or door dash with an app that connects the vessels with the people needing things delivered. I live in Alaska and shipping is very expensive as everything comes by barge or air. These costs could be reduced significantly with a shipping service as I am suggesting.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.