The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! 100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I've been contemplating ideas for the elderly care space for a while now. And every idea I come up with ends with the same conclusion, Where the hell does the money come from?

For example: Dementia and Alzheimer caregivers give over 470 billion dollars a year in unpaid aid to loved ones who remain at home due to the outrageous costs of nursing homes and care centers.

• At $470 billion in 2013, the value of unpaid caregiving exceeded the value of paid home care and total Medicaid spending in the same year, and nearly matched the value of the sales of the world’s largest company, Wal-Mart ($477 billion). [AARP Public Policy Institute. (2015). Valuing the Invaluable: 2015 Update.]

If you really would like to change the world this is one way to do it. I was thinking of a way that medicaid/care could be subsidized and used to pay your friends and family for taking care of you, Or a home-care app that allows you to find trained "freelance" caregivers(but that comes with many problems of course, Especially vetting).

If anyone would has any ideas HMU, Or take this idea, but you better use it and change the world because a lot of people need help and with humans living longer alzheimers care is really going to begin taking an unprecedented toll on productivity and QOL in about 30 years.
The elderly is a mixed bag. Here in KC you can go independent living for $750 a month all the way to $4k a month. My mortgage is the first number!
I believe the answer lies in the fact there are those who have money to pay for services. If your 'why 'is to help those who can't pay for basic needs, then help lots of folks who can pay so you can help the less fortunate.
I send my mom money every month. No much, but it pays the taxes on the house my sister and I got for her. This allows her to use what savings she has and her social security to get along ok. I could not do that without income.

Last edited:

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
[QUOTE="Mike Rowe was in an amazing video based on this topic:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
[/QUOTE]
I'm trying to work up a parable that was probably already written. Something like "It's better to have passion for the work you are doing than looking for work that's your passion."
No worries, it's come to me someday.

GradyS

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2018
North Carolina
I'm trying to work up a parable that was probably already written. Something like "It's better to have passion for the work you are doing than looking for work that's your passion."
No worries, it's come to me someday.
Mike Rowe is the man.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Reversed: Life is expecting from you.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 9, 2018
Rogain
Head & Shoulders
Nose hair trimmers
Back shavers
Man wipes

Heard it from a friend...:happy:

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Along the same lines, what are some "unsexy" products that companies/people have to buy but don't want to?
Hemorrhoid Creme
Anti-Fungal Jock. Feet, Vaginal, Intestinal and any where else it appears
Hair Removal products
Legal Services
Adult Diapers
Diabetes equipment
Bug control products indoor outdoor
Mole/Vole/Gopher control
Drain cleaner
Propane refills
Liability insurance

GradyS

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2018
North Carolina
Hemorrhoid Creme
Anti-Fungal Jock. Feet, Vaginal, Intestinal and any where else it appears
Hair Removal products
Legal Services
Adult Diapers
Diabetes equipment
Bug control products indoor outdoor
Mole/Vole/Gopher control
Drain cleaner
Propane refills
Liability insurance
I like that you threw that one in there lol

Ernman

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So I guess in summary, my hypothesis is that those boring businesses aren't unpopular because "they're boring" or "unsexy." But maybe because the skills gap or the barriers to ENTRY (CENTS) is much higher... It also doesn't help when all of the major influences of our generation consists of tech entrepreneurs (Musk, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Gates, etc...).
Saw this post while revisiting this thread. A very interesting comment. Without having done any other research, I'd be inclined to agree. Not only do some not know how to start, but I've seen where some don't know how to keep an established company running or go to the next level. A friend of mine owns his own company making an interesting product. He's done well over the years and intended to pass it down to his son. All his son wants to do is "manage" the social media and advertising - not learn how to run the biz. Admittedly, this is one isolated example and I hope not representative.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
This morning I reverse engineered the search process. Came across several good ideas. Maybe some of you can use the process to come up with less conventional ideas to run with.

1. Go to Google
2. Search for "bid on government jobs in [town name]" "bid on government jobs in Los Angeles"
3. Look through the contracts posted

Doing this I came across things I've never seen before. For instance:

- Sludge Haruling Services
- Pool Chemicals
- Manhole Casting Replacement
- Street Resurfacing
- Park Bridge Replacement
- Air Filtration / Exhaust Removal System
- 4th of July Fireworks Display
- City Tree Pruning
- Park Lot and Trail Sealing

Each city has their own contracts that are open for bid. So you just need to pick a city and then figure out where they list their bid projects (it's easy to figure it out on Google). This will lead you to ideas for unsexy service businesses and also possibly B2G or B2B product ideas.

Ernman

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Each city has their own contracts that are open for bid. So you just need to pick a city and then figure out where they list their bid projects (it's easy to figure it out on Google). This will lead you to ideas for unsexy service businesses and also possibly B2G or B2B product ideas.
Brilliant Lex - if nothing else, it should be interesting to investigate. While most government bids are lowest price and usually have advantage to "socio-economically disadvantaged small businesses", you're not suggesting bidding on the jobs but using this as a tool to find businesses to start. It's a NEED identification tool for unsexy biz.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
I've been contemplating ideas for the elderly care space for a while now. And every idea I come up with ends with the same conclusion, Where the hell does the money come from?

For example: Dementia and Alzheimer caregivers give over 470 billion dollars a year in unpaid aid to loved ones who remain at home due to the outrageous costs of nursing homes and care centers.

• At $470 billion in 2013, the value of unpaid caregiving exceeded the value of paid home care and total Medicaid spending in the same year, and nearly matched the value of the sales of the world’s largest company, Wal-Mart ($477 billion). [AARP Public Policy Institute. (2015). Valuing the Invaluable: 2015 Update.]

If you really would like to change the world this is one way to do it. I was thinking of a way that medicaid/care could be subsidized and used to pay your friends and family for taking care of you, Or a home-care app that allows you to find trained "freelance" caregivers(but that comes with many problems of course, Especially vetting).

If anyone would has any ideas HMU, Or take this idea, but you better use it and change the world because a lot of people need help and with humans living longer alzheimers care is really going to begin taking an unprecedented toll on productivity and QOL in about 30 years.
You have this correct. Being a former nurse aide, I know how much money they dish out for private care, medications, and those who don't have wealth are the one's who will suffer the most.

Devampre

Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Two quick questions. (Forgive me if they've been addressed already.)

Any unsexy business ideas that have little starting overhead expenses and little legal hurdles?

Also, are there any unsexy business ideas that are digital or are we looking at anything on the internet as being sexy?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Two quick questions. (Forgive me if they've been addressed already.)

Any unsexy business ideas that have little starting overhead expenses and little legal hurdles?

Also, are there any unsexy business ideas that are digital or are we looking at anything on the internet as being sexy?
We wouldn't have to forgive you if you just took the time to read the thread like everyone else. Answers for both of your questions are in the previous 10 pages.

GradyS

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 16, 2018
North Carolina
This morning I reverse engineered the search process. Came across several good ideas. Maybe some of you can use the process to come up with less conventional ideas to run with.

1. Go to Google
2. Search for "bid on government jobs in [town name]" "bid on government jobs in Los Angeles"
3. Look through the contracts posted

Doing this I came across things I've never seen before. For instance:

- Sludge Haruling Services
- Pool Chemicals
- Manhole Casting Replacement
- Street Resurfacing
- Park Bridge Replacement
- Air Filtration / Exhaust Removal System
- 4th of July Fireworks Display
- City Tree Pruning
- Park Lot and Trail Sealing

Interesting. In doing this I just came upon a giant list in my area of every company that bid on some work and is a "hauler." Makes me wonder, has anyone done any work to help those types of companies? A "shovel" situation? Other than just offering a website, I'd rather do something with more substance.

I can't get over this nagging feeling that all of these companies have absolutely terrible customer service, but I don't think the answer is just launching another 3rd party call center.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom