• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! 100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by JohnnyAppleseed, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $43,691
    Anyone do fence repair?

Last time a bad storm came through, several of our fence panels came down.

We put in a work order to have them fixed. Cost like $160 and the guy came out and did it in about half an hour. I also saw a bunch of neighboring houses with fence panels down too.

I dunno what these guys do for work the rest of the time. Maybe fence installation if I had to guess. Or maybe fence repair is enough? Either way, seems like it could be a good offline business.

404profound, Jello, Xeon and 3 others like this.
  2. Bekit

Bekit Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,649
    Here's an unsexy business opportunity I just came across.

"I would like to see a platform created where a company that wants to do a podcast can come to one place and easily buy the rights that it needs to include specific songs in its programming." [Source]

Apparently, there is no easy way for people who run podcasts to play music on their podcast. There is a company set up to offer a "blanket" license for music streaming services like Pandora, but they specifically do not cover podcasts.

If you were the single source on the internet who had figured out how to get podcasters to pay you for the license for any music they ever play, I can see this being very lucrative.

However, the legalities seem convoluted and complicated, even to the lawyers, so I don't know if this is a problem that would cost more to solve it than it would bring in...

3. krod1681

krod1681 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $56
    If one does not mind being a manager then it's fine. The reason many people get into an online business is less management. Less human resources which take up more time and effort. It's easier to deal with a machine that works constantly and needs occasional tuning up. It's tricky to deal with people that come with fickle emotions.

Geekour and Jello like this.
  4. MooreMillions

MooreMillions Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $180
    And what I have been thinking about for the past half decade, is vending products that are not normally associated with vending machines, and learning what the eduacational curve would be for consumers to search said products, specifically skin/body/personal care products, outside of the traditional gas station restroom setup.

5. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,355
    At the park near downtown Omaha, they have I think 2 or 3 machines that are basically a little store. About everything a convenience store has in them. I'm not sure how well they do.

TheCj and MooreMillions like this.
  6. maikooo

maikooo Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $535
    I have been wondering about this! I know for example, that in order to host your podcast on LibSyn and having it published on Spotify, you gotta have all your content "PodSafe". However, I have been listening to the Tropical MBA podcast recently and they have all these famous song snippets in there. Not sure how they do it.

In the past, I heard about About Us | Epidemic Sound, but not sure what kind of music they have in there.

It's a mess indeed. I remember having to pay for a podcast intro music license 4x per year because the basic license covers only a certain amount of episodes or has to be renewed per year.

I think it would cost more to solve than it would bring it. Podcasters usually pay somebody to custom create it for them with a full buyout or use these pay monthly, use forever type of music services. Might be wrong though.

7. ExaltedLife

ExaltedLife Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $848
    Dude what? This is an amazing idea, you should spend all day tomorrow figuring it out. I'll give it a shot right now. Heres one - tampons at music festivals. The key thing is matching the place with the product. There was this kid who killed it with medical supplies in vending machines at theme parks - the need in a place like that is urgent and staff are hopelessly swamped with their duties.

So - urgent need, crowded place, insufficient staff. How about computerized vending machines that give pain meds to registered patients with ID cards in hospitals? Limited supply by prescription, like only enabling one dose every 4 hours. Best not malfunction though.

What are other urgent needs? Clean underwear in a bad food market? Hahaha. What about appealing to vanity? Where are people: A) Most likely to have a wardrobe or cosmetic malfunction, and B) Most concerned about their appearance? Do we have any overlaps?

Based on what those answers are, what product can meet that need from a vending machine?

Off the top of my head.

A) Out at a bar, at a restaurant - for that matter, anywhere near food/beverages and drunk people at the same time. Or any time somebody is emotional and wearing makeup.

B) Any important event accompanied by peers, family, colleagues, etc. Weddings spring to mind. Birthday parties, speeches, etc.

Okay so the first need that jumped out to me is: women who cry at weddings and ruin their makeup.

There are probably better ways to go - I don't think vending machines have exhausted their potential. Personally I'd love if they stocked nootropics and amphetamines but society might not be there yet...hahaha

404profound, TheCj and Ernman like this.
  8. MHP368

MHP368 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $781
    Got a few more

Duck farming

Delicatessan pork rinds (made from acorn fed orgqnic yadda yadda , you get the idea , charge whatever you want , no one else is doing it)

9. goldstein

goldstein Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $255
    In my area, This company is completely dominating the self-storage game.They own close to 75% of the market, if not more. They're currently expanding and on their way to become a billion dollar company. They''ve MASTERED the customer experience:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTu7u5Ju5bA&t=27s

jon.M, TheCj and RMDS like this.
  10. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $12,355
    TheCj and Ernman like this.
  11. MHP368

MHP368 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $781
    Couldnt find this already posted with the searh function but

Renting and cleaning out portable toilets (porta pottys)

Nymag had a recent longform about this subject. Quite lucrative in the right area (dense cities or cities with lots of events)

Also you can niche down and sell apparently high falutin beveely hills luxury portapotties to wedding and things for 3k a night

minivanman likes this.
  12. Ernman

Ernman Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $282
    I have a friend who runs a mosquito spray service here in Florida. During the winter they decorate/undecorate your house for the holidays.

minivanman likes this.
  13. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,783

Tissue machines at funeral homes.

I’m going to hell. :blank:

14. GradyS

GradyS Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $237
    The more I think about it (and read both threads on the topic) the biggest barrier is entry. I think we could all crush it on the customer service/technology side, as well as business practicies to scale. It's the initial investment of equipment that most of the services would require that makes it difficult.

Maybe these people just watch craigslist and local facebook marketplace to see some piece of equipment that goes on sale, and then that's the business they run.

minivanman and RoadTrip like this.
  15. jon.M

jon.M Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $35
    Go on trendhunter.com and search for vending machines. There are high-tech ones where you can get a freshly baked pizza in 3 minutes. Apparently fresh food is becoming more popular. Meats etc.

ExaltedLife and minivanman like this.
  16. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $12,355
    And for example, if they are asking $10k for it..... ask if they still have the item. This gets the conversation going. Then tell them that you wish them luck in selling it and if you had more money, you would buy it but you only have $3700. They might counter or they might say ok.... see ya. Then in a 4-8 days, tell them that you've been thinking a lot about this and as wondering what the lowest price they would take. Let's say they come back with $9k. Tell them ok, thank you, I can probably round up $5k right now but I'll keep trying. Now let another week go by..... if they still have it, that means no one is wanting to pay their price BUT.... now you aren't just someone that is shooting them a price, they kinda email/text know you now. Now tell them you've come up with $6k, are they willing to go down any? And just keep working it.

Ernman, Is your friends name George?

17. Duane

Duane Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,060

Fencing is a very hard business, but the money is insanely good if you can get through the initial struggles. I have several close friends with fence installation companies and I dabble in it as well on the side. $160 is a pretty cheap repair fix, I typically won't send a crew out for anything fence related if it doesn't meet a $500 minimum. Repairs are okay money, but fence installation is where the money is at.

As the installation company, an average job is $5k ($2-3k profit) and takes less than a day to do. There are two problems though: One, being big enough to get a steady stream of clientele and two, if you don't pay your crew well, they will without a doubt quit pretty quickly because the work is tough.

The big installation companies sub-contract out all of the installation process to small fence companies though. They make their money off the material. Buy it in huge quantities for pennies, then sell it at retail and let the sub-contractors deal with all of the headaches of installation.

Big companies typically have over 20 sub-contractors installing for them, and they give all the sub-contractors discounts when they buy fence material from them as well, so where do all of these guys go to buy material for their other jobs? Yep, to them.

Thoelt53 and Lex DeVille like this.
  18. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $240

I'm in contact w/ a bunch of independent contractors and ppl who do fence repairs and much more on the side. 50% of them are employees but they also do their own work on the side. I'm in progress of trying to work with them and bring them more customers for free.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ and Lex DeVille like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.