The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thinking about moving to Florida - any advice?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Just getting back from another trip to FL and now I’m getting more serious about moving down.

My wife and I have been thinking about moving to Florida from Philadelphia for awhile now. My original plan was to wait until I “make it” in the fastlane, but I’ve come to the understanding that it may take years for this to happen. We just got back from a trip and finally asked ourselves the big question… why wait?

The only thing that’s holding us back is our parents. We really don’t want to be far from them, but Philly is only a short flight away. Right now we are thinking about moving down for a year just to see how we like it. And now is the time to do it since we don’t have kids or anything really holding us down, other than a few family members (parents).

I would need to leave my current job doing marketing for a tech company, but I’m completely fine with finding a new job. So, I guess that we would need to find an area with Jobs.

We have been in FL before for trips on both the gulf and east coasts. I loved the Clearwater area. But also loved it around Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Not a big fan of Miami though...

Does anyone have any suggestions about possible locations? We’d probably need to rent at first and get jobs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Just getting back from another trip to FL and now I’m getting more serious about moving down.

My wife and I have been thinking about moving to Florida from Philadelphia for awhile now. My original plan was to wait until I “make it” in the fastlane, but I’ve come to the understanding that it may take years for this to happen. We just got back from a trip and finally asked ourselves the big question… why wait?

The only thing that’s holding us back is our parents. We really don’t want to be far from them, but Philly is only a short flight away. Right now we are thinking about moving down for a year just to see how we like it. And now is the time to do it since we don’t have kids or anything really holding us down, other than a few family members (parents).

I would need to leave my current job doing marketing for a tech company, but I’m completely fine with finding a new job. So, I guess that we would need to find an area with Jobs.

We have been in FL before for trips on both the gulf and east coasts. I loved the Clearwater area. But also loved it around Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Not a big fan of Miami though...

Does anyone have any suggestions about possible locations? We’d probably need to rent at first and get jobs.

I moved from SJ to saint petersburg when I was 25/26 (just turned 28 two months ago) by myself. It was rough moving by myself. You have a wife (support system) so hopefully that makes it easier. I started my own biz, but ultimately end up coming home. Any specifics feel free to ask.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Normally when I've always wanted to do something I did it within 1 year. We are only on this earth a short time so do it now.... will you still be alive to read this after I post it? Who knows... see how easy life can end or even change!!! About the 'get a job' part.... why? Seems like the perfect time to work for YOU. Why wait for either?

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I would say do it, but this is a big decision and you ultimately have to make the best choice for yourself. If you refer back to TMF , MJ says people make an average of 2 or 3 big decisions each year. He outlines a good process of ordering by importance the needs/wants/pros/cons of any big decision so that you can make make an intelligent choice quickly and avoid the dreaded "decision paralysis" many of us face. A lot of people on here had to move somewhere warm and sunny because the cold has a way of killing ambition. I have lived in a few tropical places before, including Florida in the gulf coast panhandle area. The Pensacola region is probably the least expensive area to live outside of central FL, which has all the heat and insects and none of the views, but the Tampa/Sarasota/Bradenton area is much nicer and the cost of living is very manageable. When I moved back to the swirling vortex of shit that is Illinois, I definitely felt a drop in my overall mental wellbeing compared to living in a sunny climate. Also there are tax benefits that come with living in a state like Texas or Florida that are enticing.

Lucid Tech

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 2, 2016
Sounds like you don't have kids, excessive debt, or a house you would have to sell. In all likelihood, you may never have as few things holding you back as you do now, for the rest of your life.

Go while you can. Enjoy the weather and lack of state income taxes. If your fastlane project involves importing then it may also be cheaper for you to be near the port of Miami vs Philly.

My original plan was to wait until I “make it” in the fastlane, but I’ve come to the understanding that it may take years for this to happen.

Also, this made me chuckle. You joined the forum in 2011 and you just now realized this fastlane business might take a few years to happen? :)

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
All major FL cities are ranked in the top 20 best job markets right now (Money Magazine, this morning) The 25 Best Cities for Job Seekers Right Now

Most are also on the top places to live....

Plus, where else can you get twice a year meetups with cool fastlaners like @Vigilante ?

Do it, your parents may even be convinced to follow you to the land of sunshine, no state income tax, and decently affordable housing!

LivingLife

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 15, 2016
I live in Clearwater and love it. I moved here from Indiana this past November. I am also a real estate agent so I'd be happy to hook you up with a custom home search or whatever I can help out with. I'm not trying to sell at all just want to help. I can do rental searches too. There are a lot of jobs around here but renting can be very pricey depending on where you live. Tons of events, churches, bars, restaurants, runs, community events and more that I'd be glad to help you with. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Visit Florida in early August for a week or two. If you can tolerate the rain and heat and humidity in August, the other 11 months of the year will be a piece of cake for you.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Im also in this camp.

Just outside Louisville Kentucky and I have been thinking about the move to either Jupiter area or Tampa area.

I might take a extended vacation in August to see if I can handle the heat, but if it works out well I might be down there soon.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV

. I just moved from Canada to florida with my wife. I say do it!

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ

Do it! I moved to AZ from Seattle for the sun and lifestyle, best decision I ever made. Do your homework and pick a location with cost of living and lifestyle that work for you.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Visit Florida in early August for a week or two. If you can tolerate the rain and heat and humidity in August, the other 11 months of the year will be a piece of cake for you.

I second this. If you move anywhere in Florida not within 30 min drive to the water, August and September are opressive.

Im also in this camp.

Just outside Louisville Kentucky and I have been thinking about the move to either Jupiter area or Tampa area.

I might take a extended vacation in August to see if I can handle the heat, but if it works out well I might be down there soon.

Good choices! I grew up on east coast of Florida. Jupiter is probably the only city on the east coast Id move to.

Here's my $.02 about Florida. I've lived here my whole life, thought about leaving, but I like Florida too much. It's hot sure, but there's no snow to shovel.

The economy here is booming. Tech companies are in most of the major cities. If you're from up north, I'd recommend Tampa, Orlando, or Palm Beach. Jacksonville is a good city, but it's more South Georgia than it is Florida.

There's a great fastlane community in Tampa like @Ronak mentioned. I moved to Tampa 2 years ago, love it here. I not live just north of Clearwater and it's even better over here. There's always something going on (football championships, big concerts, festivals, etc), if you like the water, we've got the best beach in Florida.

And best part. NO INCOME TAX. Cost of living is great here. Tampa is probably the highest cost of living of the cities I mentioned (miami is stupid expensive) but it's a lot cheaper compared to living up north.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Yeah, stay off the Flaka

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts