The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if EVERYONE were legally required to carry a concealed weapons permit?

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Like, if everyone in the US over the age of 25, who is in good mental health, and who has shown they are responsible, were to be legally required (or just successfully motivated somehow besides using authoritative force) to carry a concealed weapon and have a CWP... what do you think would be the result?

Do you think there may be less crime?

If criminals knew that EVERYONE is carrying, everywhere they go, do you think they may be less damage from or inclination to rob that liquor store or bank, hijack that airplane, shoot those children in those schools, murder those people in the theater and shopping malls.. if they knew they'd most likely get killed fairly quickly?

No one runs into police stations and starts shooting everyone.....

The only exception would be like "places of nuisance" like calle ocho or redneck festivals where people get drunk and fight regularly.

I'd expect that in terms of criminal activity involving life or death situations, that may have the effect of a society that polices its self.

I mean, the actions toward banning assaults weapons has sent people in the US on a gun buying frenzy. A friend of mine owns a pawn shop and said that his guns sales have rose to 300% in the last 2 months.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I don't think the Government should force someone to carry a gun (or force anyone to do anything, for the most part). So I can't answer your question.

However, I do believe privately armed citizens to deter crime. But we can't force people to carry guns.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Yea that's true. We can't do that.

Although, lets say the government found an effective way to motivate more people to carry concealed - what do you think the result would be?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
No one runs into police stations and starts shooting everyone.....

Sure they do, it happened a few miles from me about 6-7 years ago

Fairfax, Virginia Police Station Shooting (UPDATED)

In fact it happens all the time. More guns isnt that answer, and taking away guns is also not the answer. Guns are a tool like anything else. The mis focus is on guns and not on people. Same shit with super size meals at McDonalds. The medias focus is reflected in your post, even if you are on the opposite side, you are still looking at the wrong thing.

D

DeletedUser2

Well, Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world and they issue every household a gun. They also train every adult how to use that gun and required once a year training.

we have walmart
rednecks
and are a very large mixing pot of a ton of different opinions, from many different cultures.

as a whole we do not share a culture consensuses here.

while the diversity is great. making every one carry guns is going to get more people shot. just a numbers thing.

Z

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
I think that's a horrible idea! They should ban guns instead and make it illegal to have one.
Why would anyone own 1 or more guns? I just don't get it. They are meant to kill other people.
Might aswell have a bazooka and a sniper rifle at home if guns are legal.

Here in the Netherlands it is illegal to own a gun of any sort. (Unless you have a license, but they are very very strict here to get one)
If no-one has guns in their home then the crime rate would go down, because it would be harder to get them.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes there is huge difference in cultures and I don't believe everyone should carry a gun. BTW, I'm not sure Walmart rednecks would be the problem. Switzerland issues their citizens a gun because the citizens are the militia. It's their job to defend and protect their country. The government requires them to be trained and limits the amount of ammo they can own. So yes, it is a very different situation than just requiring US citizens to carry a weapon.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
An armed society is a polite society. That said, I would not want to force the everyone, to carry a gun. Most people wouldn't know what the hell to do with it.

Hmm, why is Houston/Dallas safer than Chicago? New York? DC?

I highly suggest:

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

D

DeletedUser2

I think that's a horrible idea! They should ban guns instead and make it illegal to have one.
Why would anyone own 1 or more guns? I just don't get it. They are meant to kill other people.

very different culture

the world has bad people in it.
bad people will always find a way to get a gun

guns also protect people, from bad people.

so I would rather have the option.

Z

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I carry a gun every day, BTW.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Here in the Netherlands it is illegal to own a gun of any sort. (Unless you have a license, but they are very very strict here to get one)
If no-one has guns in their home then the crime rate would go down, because it would be harder to get them.

^ The post that leads to this thread getting locked.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
very different culture

the world has bad people in it.
bad people will always find a way to get a gun

guns also protect people, from bad people.

so I would rather have the option.

Z

Yes that is why it's not a good idea to make guns legal in the first place, if you use them to protect.
Anyone can just break in a home and steal a gun from someone who has to for protection.
So it would be better if there was not even an option to steal a gun from someone's home, cuz there wouldn't be any!

This way you prevent getting guns in the hands of bad people.

Also there is gun crime in the Netherlands, but mostly just gangsters shooting other gangsters.
But you don't notice that because those are planned liquidations.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
This diagram, in most cases, I would expect that there are at least 2-3 times the amount of good guys around with guns for any given bad guy who wants to use it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
^ The post that leads to this thread getting locked.

No it wont, politics will get this thread locked, he is just on the other side of the issue. I carry daily when possible (not into DC though) but I don't over do it on pro-gun. It's just as bad as over doing it on anti-gun. Some people do not like guns and never want to touch them, i respect that. I wouldn't want that person to handle a gun because it would likely be mis-handled.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
This diagram, in most cases, I would expect that there are at least 2-3 times the amount of good guys around with guns for any given bad guy who wants to use it.

Good guys can turn into bad guys and cause a major problem with a weapon.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
No it wont, politics will get this thread locked, he is just on the other side of the issue. I carry daily when possible (not into DC though) but I don't over do it on pro-gun. It's just as bad as over doing it on anti-gun. Some people do not like guns and never want to touch them, i respect that. I wouldn't want that person to handle a gun because it would likely be mis-handled.

It's not that I don't like them, it's just that they are meant to kill people.
I understand if the police or guards use them, because they are fully trained for it.

Why would you carry a gun daily? Are you in danger?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good guys can turn into bad guys and cause a major problem with a weapon.

This is the psychobabble of someone who has never fired a firearm in their life. The strange theory that the gun controls the person and makes them insane is retarded logic. So by this theory, do you think cops should be allowed to carry guns? Are they somehow mentally superior to the rest of us because they can somehow resist the temptation to randomly kill people?

There is a gun sitting on my desk right now and it is not begging for action. LMAO

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Honestly, I actually read that a couple months ago in an article but I didn't verify their source.

From the article I posted above...

"Yet, despite the prevalence of guns, the violent-crime rate is low: government figures show about 0.5 gun homicides per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010. By comparison, the U.S rate in the same year was about 5 firearm killings per 100,000 people, according to a 2011 U.N. report."

Wikipedia states Switzerland had 43 homicides in 2010 where a firearm was involved.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In comparision, the US had 31,076 gun related homicides. That's 85 deaths per day, 3 per hour.

Source: Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010, for National, Regional, and States (Dec. 2012), http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/dataRestriction_inj.html (hereinafter WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010. Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data).

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
This is the psychobabble of someone who has never fired a firearm in their life. The strange theory that the gun controls the person and makes them insane is retarded logic. So by this theory, do you think cops should be allowed to carry guns? Are they somehow mentally superior to the rest of us because they can somehow resist the temptation to randomly kill people?

No, what I mean is that if someone has a bad day or something they can do bad things with a gun they posses.
Like the guy who shot all those people at the cinema when the movie Batman was playing. Everyone said he was normal before he did this.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

It is the kind of post that leads to being locked. It may very well spark a political debate. I hope not.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
No, what I mean is that if someone has a bad day or something they can do bad things with a gun they posses.
Like the guy who shot all those people at the cinema when the movie Batman was playing. Everyone said he was normal before he did this.

So you are telling me that you might have the urge to take another person's life because you had "a bad day". Get your head checked bub. I definitely wouldn't want you carrying a gun.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
In fact it happens all the time. More guns isnt that answer, and taking away guns is also not the answer. Guns are a tool like anything else. The mis focus is on guns and not on people. Same shit with super size meals at McDonalds. The medias focus is reflected in your post, even if you are on the opposite side, you are still looking at the wrong thing.

I think you make a great point here.

I also really like the post on the Swedes way of dealing with guns.

Our situation may not be the same, although there has to be something we can learn from their system... like using a "To take what works and discard the rest" approach instead of thinking in terms of "this model works better than that one".

We all have to take a drivers course to learn how to drive. Cars are tools as well. They can kill people if we don't learn to use them. They are used in a society that has an infrastructure to support them, like traffic laws, signs, and roads, traffic cameras, general drivers etiquette, driver schools, auto insurance, culture...etc

In the same way we can begin to develop an infrastructure that supports the objective of protecting the majority of citizens from the minority of people who choose to commit crimes with weapons.

Obviously this is an extremely complex matter, although complexity becomes less and less of an issue when there is enough pressure to find a solution.

Xyros

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 28, 2012
So you are telling me that you might have the urge to take another person's life because you had "a bad day". Get your head checked bub. I definitely wouldn't want you carrying a gun.

Nope I wouldn't, but there are some people who would, like in that shooting at the Batman premier, I don't know in which state that was.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.