The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to move to Scottsdale?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Scorpions too? Even better. I'm half expecting to hear the place also has Flying Yetis "but they haven't eaten anyone in quite a few days"
We also have these beauties...

WxrDrbt.jpg

I shot that photo near the summit of Four Peaks mountain but we've had them right outside our front door.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
And you will be hard pressed to find annoying bugs like flies, gnats, and mosquitos here too. Not saying they don't exist, but there are waaaaaaaay less here than ANY other places I have ever lived (and I've lived in Norway, South Dakota, California, Washington).

and Florida is the pest capitol of the country. Seems theres always some new epidemic down there. They have to hold snake hunts just to try and control the python population. A couple years ago giant African snails were the pest of the year. Dunno what it is this year. May as well live in the Amazon :)

August-Picnic-Pic.jpg

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
My wife and I moved here at the beginning of January and I love it so far.

We're coming from Albuquerque, where winter would get down to freezing for a couple months, with a few weeks of single digit lows.

Having a low of around 45 degrees is definitely a nice change of pace.

The dry 110+ degree heat may not be so bad. I lived in Atlanta for a year, as a grad student, and will never forget walking to the lab in 100 degree heat with a 90% humidity. Now THAT was awful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It does kind of feel like that. :)

The saying is there for a reason though.

Same reason Minnesotans say it is brisk out when it is 20 below Fahrenheit

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Picture this: you just moved down to Scottsdale. Your coolant tank in your car explodes and you have no AC in your car. Then, the AC in your apartment short circuits and you have no AC in your apartment.

It is 120 degrees outside.

Welcome to my life.
Man that's tough. I feel for ya. This is our third summer here. The first summer we had a SUV that had no AC. 3 months of driving around in 100+ degrees.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
So what's the "gotta do" list in Scottsdale?

I wanna get ideas when I am there this coming up Feb.

1. Whats the best grub food you just can't miss there? Even if I need to go to Phoenix maybe? The hotel told gave me a list that looks like fancy restaurants. I don't mind fancy and will prob. try them, but I wanna know where the local grub food that I shouldn't miss.

2. What about activities? All I got from the hotel was "hiking the mountain" pretty much. Is there anything I shouldn't miss while in town?

Close by the hotel is Sakana Sushi. Incredible. Not enough tables inside so get there when they open. Frank and Lupe's Mexican food in Old Town Scottsdale. Wally's pub is my fave in Scottsdale. The food is awesome! Scottsdale is where most locals go. Not Phoenix. Everything is happening in old town. If you just want to hang and chill, Fashion Square is a large mall with lots of interesting places around it. It is attached to the old town area. Everything is walkable.

Lots of golf in the area. Art galleries all over the place.

Hang with the crew. They usually just avoid jail. :)

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
bump

Putting out a feeler. Anyone who attended the Fastlane Summit 2018... Want to rent an apartment in Scottsdale, AZ?

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Just beware of the Robo-Ubers:

Don't worry, our normal distracted human drivers kill waaaaay more pedestrians on an annual basis.

EDIT: the investigation into that whole debacle concluded that dude walked out into the street, at night, and any human driver would have nailed him with the same fervor (but probably more regret).

Both are great places to live!

I second this.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
I'd answer with my thoughts but I don't have any time because I'm out on a boat on the Gulf of Mexico.
And I'm heading to the beach in san diego for seven days. That rv of mine comes in handy sometimes. Beach front campsite with my crazy dogs... Life is good. Is it not @Vigilante?

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
@TheTruth - stare at this picture, while listening to the song below. [HASHTAG]#persuasion101[/HASHTAG]
View attachment 9255

...I'll have my traveling/living plans decided by June 1st. The soonest I'd move in is the end of August.

I recognize that place!

Wish I could move, too! The closest the military will let us move is California, though, and that's not gonna happen. All the more motivation to get a business started so that the military can be thrown out of the picture. ;)

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I've actually talked to the wife months ago about exactly this.

Planned to go right to San Diego, but then reconsidered and thought about Las Vegas or Phoenix area b.c of taxes and other things while still being a days drive into SoCal.

We wouldn't be able to drop ship and move this year as it will take our house a bit of time to sell, plus we have kids in school right now. Looking at a 3 year plan to get our oldest out of High School first and then make the move.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
To those of you who said yes and want to move here in August... what action did you start taking to get the ball rolling on this? Did you start forming masterminds with your future roommates?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Look if that isn't a huge a$$ motivator I'm not sure what could be, combined with the fact I've heard countless stories of Lambos riding around the entire Phoenix/Scottsdale area throughout the day pretty much everyday.

I kid you not - the other day I walked to the culinary drop out (like 5 minutes) and I saw two Ferraris.

Yesterday I walked to buddy's place, saw a Ferrari 458.

Today I walked around a bit and saw another one

They are everywhere here - even more so in North Scottsdale. Sunshine + a business friendly environment = people with money/businesses.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Is that a special fastlaners rate or is all rent that cheap in Arizona?

I ask because it's impossible to find a 1 br with a garage for sub-1k prices around here.

$900 is actually a fairly expensive 1 br. You can find 1br without garages for $750-$800.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Garage is a dealbreaker for me. Still $900 for a 1 br w/ a garage is far cheaper than any place around here.

I suppose I've always thought Scottsdale = well-off area = expensive cost of living. But it actually seems to be quite cheap compared to what I'm used to.

And it is a nice place! I'm not just saying that either. I would live there. I'll post some pics later.

D

DeletedUser394

This is a very common misconception, @Vigilante has spoken on it many times. Moving there does not gain you a network, it just happens to be a higher concentration of people linked on this forum. You still have to put in the work to build the relationships and trust of people. It is not a selling point or a given to moving to Scottsdale.

There is no misconception on my part, I didn't phrase it correctly then.

What I meant is that Phoenix has a high concentration of people, specifically from this forum that share similar ideas/ideals and ways of life. I didn't mean that you just move there and everyone is going to start helping you or that you can use people there to get what you want. That is laughable.

Anyone thinking of moving there that does so with those types of thoughts is in for a surprise..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.
~John F. Kennedy

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This X10000.

When I roomed with @JasonR and @AndrewNC we actually had people hit us up to "move into our closet".

We didn't even know these people, in fact we had never talked to them before.

They wanted to "take the ultimate risk" and move into an environment that would accelerate their growth.

We actually found this a bit insulting for multiple reasons:

- They provided 0 value (they wanted to be in a great environment without working for it)
- They didn't even take the time to get to know us
- They had no idea that we built our relationship over 7 months of masterminding (and at that point it was actually very very hard for us to consider anyone into that mastermind - first, because there were 4 of us already and 2nd because we had a great vibe and intensity we didn't want to risk loosing out on)
- They didn't pay out of their pocket to come to one of the meetups (all of us who lived together and masterminded where at that years BnP meetup - so we met face to face before any decisions were made) - or to just come visit and see how we were actually operating.

Anyway, nothing is given and everything is earned.

When we did this last year, we only did it because WE felt like it was the right thing for us. No network infiltration was part of the plan. The environment and setup was specifically for our goals.

Networking, making friends, sharing ideas etc... only came after the fact.

Just like the rule of "don't chase money because it will always evade you", the same can be said about almost anything "don't chase a network because IT will evade you".
Yeah, I've been trying to evade you for years, TAKE A HINT!

LOVE YOU BOOBOO

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I don't expect to make friends just because I'm planning to move there. I feel like that's a totally extraneous reason for wanting to be there.

My reasons are:

1. Sunshine
2. Basically SoCal without the water
3. SoCal (and the beach) is about 5 hour drive away
4. Red state (as stated before)
5. Much more developed/modern area than most of the eastern states
6. Other rich people live there (what other motivation do you need?!?!)
7. In N Out :D

Now, IF by some extenuating situation I happen to network along the way and become acquainted/meet anyone from this forum or otherwise, that's just a bonus. But that's definitely not my intent. I wanna move there because I feel like the environment, irregardless of this forum, would be very beneficial to me.

:cool:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.
~John F. Kennedy

So...who wants to get weird - there had been studies that showed your heart rate decreases by 15% as soon as you step into the water. Your primal reactions take over and you 'connect" to the earlier fish stages of your development as an embryo. I've had so many days when I am sitting inside and want to punch things and hate everything, and don't want to drive 5 minutes to the ocean because what's the point, but then I go, and after a swim everything is better. Watching it works too for me, but that takes longer and isn't as profound of a change.

So we're stuck on AZ.... who else wants to throw a hat into the ring? I've tracked Austin weather over the last few months and it is just too cold, their nights can go freezing and even during the day it hit 30-40 regularly in the winter. How about a little more north up the east coast, somewhere with a varied terrain but still no snow?

Also, Houston? How is Colorado in the winter?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.