The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My dilemma with my company/job after reading TMF

trncty

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 16, 2024
hi everyone, i'm currently reading the millionaire fastlane , about 60% into the book and im loving it.

supposedly, I co-own this current startup with a couple of shareholders/investors. i mentioned supposedly because while i am a shareholder, i hold an extremely minor amount of shares and i'm also one of the newest shareholder.

for context, I took a huge pay cut because I wanted to learn about starting a business, I believed in the business' potential, and I will be paid in shares (to become a shareholder). however, 2 years into building this startup, i get the impression that i'm tricked to hold few shares to give me a feeling that i'm owning the business but i'm just a glorified hired hand, or a stupid one.

in truth, i've learnt a lot about starting a business in my time here. because of the startup nature, everyone does everything. i took it in stride to be adaptable and a team-player because we are all co-owners. my team also acknowledged my abilities and have expanded my role from operations to operations and sales. I often worked late into the night even as and when I need to but no complains, because i see this as my business and this is my commitment.

however, im struggling with this new workload and I can't seem to keep up. I understand completely that in a new venture, you have to do everything from hr, to finance, to operations, to sales and marketing. I'm losing control because the more expectations there are on my plate, the worse I get trying to meet each expectation.

my team seems to suggest that I have a delegation and prioritization when it comes to dealing with everything that's on my plate, and that I should fix it so that I can hit my goal. but I see it differently.

if it's my business, shouldn't I have control on what lands on my plate in the first place? because if it was up to me, I would not have engaged in all of the problems and expectations. I would pick the most critical problems to address and I will be perfectly at peace with forgone opportunities or even less revenues.

am I wrong in my way of thinking? am I an owner, or am I just a fast car driving in the slow lane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

harumi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2021
England
Interesting read! I'd be curious to hear other forum members answers.

What I can say regarding the "shouldn't I have control on what land on my plate" - is: should you?

Aren't we doing it to help people, meaning we dont choose what lands but choose what we do about it? Delegation and leadership are simply tools available to us.

trncty

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 16, 2024
Interesting read! I'd be curious to hear other forum members answers.

What I can say regarding the "shouldn't I have control on what land on my plate" - is: should you?

Aren't we doing it to help people, meaning we dont choose what lands but choose what we do about it? Delegation and leadership are simply tools available to us.
Hey, thank you for reading. I agree with you about bringing value, but isn't choosing not to engage in something also a form of choosing what we do about it?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The four D's:

Dump it. Does it really need done?

Delegate it. Does it really need done by me?

Defer it. If it needs done by me then does it need to be done now?

Do it. Oh poo... I'd better do it then.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

trncty

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 16, 2024
The four D's:

Dump it. Does it really need done?

Delegate it. Does it really need done by me?

Defer it. If it needs done by me then does it need to be done now?

Do it. Oh poo... I'd better do it then.
Thank you, am applying it currently. Sometimes there's just a lack of control in what I can/cannot dump

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...