The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are forums dead?

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I went, and looked at some of the forums I went to when I was younger that were very active, and they are ghost towns now. However there are still forums that are going strong like bb.com,ign,and tff. Ive noticed the forums that are still doing well are very broad. For example ign is focused on all sorts of video games rather than just an xbox forum. Bodybuilding.com is focused on bodybuilding instead of something like a marathon running forum. tff is focused on entrepreneurship rather than an import/export forum or whatever niche you can pull from it.

These forums that were very niche are dead, and the broader ones are doing well. Are forums dead, and on their way out though? It seems like people are getting all the info they need from other people on social media, and message boards that have everything in one place like reddit.

Instead of people searching for info on their own they can now rely on mavins who will sift through all the clutter of information, and then update people on information that they deem inportant.

If this is the case then what is the future?

Im wanting to add a forum to my website that is very broad, but even then the forum could be on its way out.

Should I work on creating a forum, or do you think it would be more effective to create/curate content other people will share rather than relying on user generated content that forums are made up of?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I went, and looked at some of the forums I went to when I was younger that were very active, and they are ghost towns now. However there are still forums that are going strong like bb.com,ign,and tff. Ive noticed the forums that are still doing well are very broad. For example ign is focused on all sorts of video games rather than just an xbox forum. Bodybuilding.com is focused on bodybuilding instead of something like a marathon running forum. tff is focused on entrepreneurship rather than an import/export forum or whatever niche you can pull from it.

These forums that were very niche are dead, and the broader ones are doing well. Are forums dead, and on their way out though? It seems like people are getting all the info they need from other people on social media, and message boards that have everything in one place like reddit.

Instead of people searching for info on their own they can now rely on mavins who will sift through all the clutter of information, and then update people on information that they deem inportant.

Im wanting to add a forum to my website that is very broad, but even then the forum could be on its way out.

Should I work on creating a forum, or do you think it would be more effective to create/curate content other people will share rather than relying on user generated content that forums are made up of?

Rename "thefastlaneforum" to "thefastlanelounge", problem solved!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think people like to shop in one place like a mall sometimes. You have many stores in once place. In forums you have the option to have many niches or categories or just one. It saves them time and energy. If information is all talked about in one place, why do they have to look else where. lol Although the side effect of this, is what if you're missing something important. What if it's not in this location. A bit of laziness and convenience.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
Yes and no.

As forums become more and more available, people disperse to different niches.

Glory years for forums were probably in the 06-12 days when there wasn't too many forums around, the rules were much laxer and posters were actually interested in posting online.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
So im stuck at a crossroads here. I have the forum all set up, and its ready for content. Will having an empty forum as im starting leave a bad impression? Should I scrap the forum until I start getting traffic? Should I scrap the forum all together, and bring the conversation somewhere else?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you already have a community, that already wants to communicate with each other, and that are already frustrated that they can't?

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Moderation and policing is a huge part. I followed MJ from the Rich Dad forum to Lambo Power, then to here. LP was moderated wonderfully. He mentioned something about the RDPD forum a long time ago that was very apparent and what ruined the forum: sig pimps. Selling things thru your signature used to be a huge problem, and still can be without enforced rules in place.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Forums aren't dead because the human need to congregate and communicate with each other is not dead.

What's shifting is the methods in which we communicate. Forums based upon antiquated technology will struggle which is why I moved this place from vBulletin to Xenforo some years ago. As long as forum technology keeps current with user expectations, forums will be OK-- although yea, it definitely is a challenged space. Facebook and other social congregations have forum appeal, therefore, making more forums expendable.

what ruined the forum: sig pimps.

1) Sig-pimps.
2) Trolls (RD wasn't real!) Every damn day.
3) MLM everywhere.
4) "Email me I gotta great opportunity" every post.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013

I kept reading just because you may actually have a legit question -- and you do.

Just try not to contradict yourself so early next time.

You should create a forum because you think it will help others. If you don't see the vision then it won't work. What would be your plan for creating a forum, anyway?

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Forums aren't dead because the human need to congregate and communicate with each other is not dead.

What's shifting is the methods in which we communicate. Forums based upon antiquated technology will struggle which is why I moved this place from vBulletin to Xenforo some years ago. As long as forum technology keeps current with user expectations, forums will be OK-- although yea, it definitely is a challenged space. Facebook and other social congregations have forum appeal, therefore, making more forums expendable.

1) Sig-pimps.
2) Trolls (RD wasn't real!) Every damn day.
3) MLM everywhere.
4) "Email me I gotta great opportunity" every post.

The environment certainly has changed over time.

Do you already have a community, that already wants to communicate with each other, and that are already frustrated that they can't?

My market is very communal. I would't say they are frustrated exactly though. The forum isn't a necessity, but I would like to have it to keep people connected.

I kept reading just because you may actually have a legit question -- and you do.

Just try not to contradict yourself so early next time.

You should create a forum because you think it will help others. If you don't see the vision then it won't work. What would be your plan for creating a forum, anyway?
I can see it helping others. I see people trying to communicate with other people on apps like instagram and sometimes their voice isnt heard. The plan for the forum is basically just to have a community where people will have a voice because the site is very community driven in theory.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
sometimes their voice isnt heard.

That's because their voice isn't relevant. What's so relevant about a comment on a picture, anyway - do you expect a debate to occur there? That's just off.

Big forums such as forum.bodybuilding.com and thefastlaneforum.com are great. But they didn't start with 3k people. Let's take it step by step now. What's your plan?

tbfmiss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 22, 2015

Are they dead? Simply put no. Are they as popular as they were say, 10-15 years ago? no.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Starting a forum must be like the first person to get a fax machine.

I find great value in them for a few topics of interest. Smart moderation is important to keep them from getting spammed and diluted with moronism.

I'll probably be starting one in the near future for a niche product category, but I have 5,000 organic mailing list that should be able to kick it off and establish some critical mass. Otherwise I'd wait.

Who likes going to an empty club with no line outside?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.