The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I've got a stack of books by my bed that I'm working through:

Awaken the Giant Within
- Tony Robbins (read it before, but recently started reading it again).

An Introduction to Psychology (can't remember by whom, but its the university type handbooks, so it often succeeds in putting me asleep - the theory bits that is).

How life imitates chess - Gary Kasparov (I'm about halfway through this one - was wondering how to become great in chess/life, and this book seemed like a fit).

What are you reading?

I am reading Bold.

I added this into my rotation a few months ago.

The book opens up like this:

“Go back some 66 billion years, and life on Earth was a little different.”

A page-long history lesson unfolds, right up to the evolution and development of the human being, the most dominant life form on the planet.

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
So much to read, so little time! I am ADDICTED to learning and reading. I constantly find myself in the middle of at least a handful of books. Right now I'm purposefully reading TMF slowly to digest it properly. Also in the middle of Ca$hvertising, On Writing Well, The War Of Art, and I'm reading my favorite fantasy series (The Sword Of Truth series by Terry Goodkind) to my wife. (We alternate reading something to each other every night which is cool because we get exposed to material we wouldn't pick up on our own.)

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I have a few more that I'm working on. I'm such a bibliophile, this thread makes me happy. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
How Google Works by Eric Schmidt. Full of amazing insight into company strategy, product building, customer satisfaction, marketing. Great book!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How Google Works by Eric Schmidt. Full of amazing insight into company strategy, product building, customer satisfaction, marketing. Great book!
Interesting. I keep seeing it in the bookstores, but figured it would brainwash me about doing no evil. I'll consider it now you recommend it @Gsuz

I finished Zero to One when on holiday. Easy read. Great stuff. Can't remember any of it now though.

Currently reading The Obstacle is The Way. Great book. Love the little historical stories/fables in it too. I will remember lots from this book. I hope to apply it throughout the rest of my life too.

Last edited:

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Interesting. I keep seeing it in the bookstores, but figures it would brainwash me about doing no evil. I'll consider it now you recommend it @Gsuz

I finished Zero to One when on holiday. Easy read. Great stuff. Can't remember any of it now though.

Currently reading The Obstacle is The Way. Great book. Love the little historical stories/fables in it too. I will remember lots from this book. I hope to apply it throughout the rest of my life too.

It is, mainly due to being written by Googlers, a bit heavy on the "glorifying Google" side from time to time, but on the other hand you can't really argue with the results. It's filled with little anecdotes and a nice mix of entertainment and insights. It also has some really great advice on recruiting. Let me know how you like it in case you decide to pick it up.

"Passionate people don't wear their passion on their sleeves, they have it in their hearts. They live it."

Tyehaakon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Toronto
Just finished reading:

The Miracle Morning! Really Great book. Would definitely recommend it, especially if you're REALLY into getting things done and being productive.

Who Moved My Cheese!! Also, really great. A very short, quick read. Excellent book!

Currently on the remaining chapters of TMFL - One of the Absolute Best books I have EVER read in my life. Well done MJ, Well done!!

Just started the Lean Startup!! I'm hooked!

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Interesting. I keep seeing it in the bookstores, but figured it would brainwash me about doing no evil. I'll consider it now you recommend it @Gsuz

The Obstacle is The Way is on my to-read list for sure. Have you read any of his (Ryan Holiday) other stuff? Have you read/studied stoicism before? I've been meaning to re-read some Seneca and read some Marcus Aurelius for the first time, but I may just start with TOITW.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just finished Problem Solving 101. i thought it would be more than what was actually in it ( I already knew all the techniques personally ), but it's good for those that don't know them.

Currently reading a book by James Altcuher I didn't know he had, "Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth". You have to buy it off his site.

There is some overlap with the reg. "Choose Yourself" book, but still a good read.

Also, I am starting into, "The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving"

I like to theme my reading into chunks so I can learn a whole theme at once... My theme right now was problem solving, but the James Alt. book just kinda slid in.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
The Obstacle is The Way is on my to-read list for sure. Have you read any of his (Ryan Holiday) other stuff? Have you read/studied stoicism before? I've been meaning to re-read some Seneca and read some Marcus Aurelius for the first time, but I may just start with TOITW.
TOITW is all you really need, it's a great intro/summary of Stoicism. If you want something extra these quotes are like the "best of" from Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/marcus_aurelius.html
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/epictetus.html

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
My book list for the year

Four Hour Chef (first half is great if you want to learn how to learn, 2nd half if you actually want to cook)
Four Hour Work Week (LOVED this book, the resources alone make it worth it)
80/20 Sales And Marketing (80/20=GOD)
80/20 Living (1st half is good, 2nd half=take care of your relationships)
80/20 Principle (See above)
Here are my favorite parts from the 80/20 principle: http://imgur.com/a/N7Pmq
Pitch Anything (Good info, although a bit long)
Compound Effect (Motivational, although info can be summed up as progressively overload your life)
Slight Edge (See Above)
E-Myth (Very good stuff, although long relative to how useful the info really was)
Blue Ocean Strategy (Good info, although a bit too long with the stories)
Top 10 Distinctions Between Middle Class And Wealthy (TRUTH, that is all)
100 Days Of Growth (100 unique things to try out with all businesses, great book, highly recommenced it)

Decent amount of actual cover to cover (or full listen) books, probably have heard 500+ summaries (100+ Ebooks, some of them are hella small though), will be getting a membership at some other cliffnote type website besides TBS for more business/leadership/communication/psychology books.

Last edited:

Grok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 14, 2015
Apache junction
Now reading:

miracle morning-hal elrod
delivering happiness-tony hsich, ceo zappos.com
the freaks shall inherit the earth-chris brogan

all very thought provoking.

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Currently finishing up "Brain Rules". Also recently started "To Sell is Human" (about 50 pages in) which I currently can't recommend because all the author has done up till now is to try to convince me how everybody is selling in some way with lots of different statistics and numbers.

One of my recent readings was "How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis, pretty good overall but I loved the ending "What the world needs is an anti-self-help book. A book that tells people how hard it is to be a great manager or great anything. About how hard it is to get rich."
"They'd never buy it. People buy dreams, they don't buy reality. They want it made easy. They want a promise a fool could keep".

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I've been reading the Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords By Perry Marshall. Solid book for a person like me with little experience with SEO, PPC advertising and really how to use google to my businesses advantage.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Just finished reading "The Dip and Tribes - We Need You To Lead Us"
Currently reading "All Marketers are Liars"

Love reading Seth's books, they're normally short and easy to read, but massively eye opening.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Finished All Marketers are Liars (Tell Stories).
Finished 99 cows by Seth Godin too (it's free! You just need to find it) so need to get a copy of Purple Cows now, although I think I know what the book is going to tell me already after reading 99 cows, and his other newer works. Meatball Sundae is in the post, looking forward to getting that!

Just read "Who Moved my Cheese" thanks @Tyehaakon for that one! Very quick read and well worth it.

Now reading "As a Man Thinketh" and "The one Thing".

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Finished reading "The hard things about hard things", two of Dr. Ben Carson's earlier books when he is talking about his medical career. Now I am reading his most recent book "One nation". Also trying to read the textbook of Edx's opensource "introducing programming in Python" since I am in that course.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Anyone got any suggestions for some shorter reads? Trying to finish my 52 books in 52 weeks challenge by Sunday by reading a book a day (tough to do when most of the stuff in my library is 150+ pages) so I can say I've done it, then concentrate the rest of my reading this year on re-reading the books I found the most value in (will be doing a post on that when finished).

Currently reading "The One Thing" - very useful, and one of those books you can actually apply to your life.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm curious about your thoughts on this book (and it's claim)...

Heal Your Body by Louise Hay

"Heal Your Body is a fresh and easy step-by-step guide. Just look up your specific health challenge and you will find the probable cause for this health issue and the information you need to overcome it by creating a new thought pattern. Louise Hay, bestselling author, is an internationally known leader in the self-help field. Her key message: "If we are willing to do the mental work, almost anything can be healed." The author has a great deal of experience and firsthand information to share about healing—including how she cured herself after having been diagnosed with cancer."

So she cured herself of cancer? I'm becoming more of a sceptic as I get older...

I almost had to get a root canal in one of my teeth recently, but the antibiotics and mouthwash I'm using now seem to be working. I'd rather have a live tooth instead of a dead tooth in my mouth so I'm interesting in 'healing my body' haha.

The book is $0.99 right now -- cheap. But do you think it's worth the time investment?

EDIT: Almost forgot! Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Body-Louise-Hay-ebook/dp/B00DW7VLS8/

Tyehaakon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Toronto
Anyone got any suggestions for some shorter reads? Trying to finish my 52 books in 52 weeks challenge by Sunday by reading a book a day (tough to do when most of the stuff in my library is 150+ pages) so I can say I've done it, then concentrate the rest of my reading this year on re-reading the books I found the most value in (will be doing a post on that when finished).

Currently reading "The One Thing" - very useful, and one of those books you can actually apply to your life.
Just picked up "The One Thing" - Glad to hear your thoughts on this book, Thanks! Looking forward to reading it!

D

DeletedUser394

Have you considered the possibility that you may be reading too much and doing too little?

A book a week is excessive and unnecessary. But good luck.

and if you want a short read suggestion. 'Who moved my cheese.' can be read in like 30 minutes. It's a good book.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Have you considered the possibility that you may be reading too much and doing too little?

A book a week is excessive and unnecessary. But good luck.

and if you want a short read suggestion. 'Who moved my cheese.' can be read in like 30 minutes. It's a good book.

I read that one the other day! lol.

And to answer you question; if I didn't do the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge I wouldn't have picked up The ONE thing, which is probably one of the most important books I've read so far, (number 51).

Reading a book a week? Probably not a waste of time, reading one per day like I am at the moment is though. But like I said, if I didn't do it, I wouldn't have picked up The ONE thing, which has given me an idea on what to focus on next and ways on how to focus on it better.

It's also given me some knowledge to give back to the community, which shall be written up and posted this week time permitting.

D

DeletedUser394

I read that one the other day! lol.

And to answer you question; if I didn't do the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge I wouldn't have picked up The ONE thing, which is probably one of the most important books I've read so far, (number 51).

Reading a book a week? Probably not a waste of time, reading one per day like I am at the moment is though. But like I said, if I didn't do it, I wouldn't have picked up The ONE thing, which has given me an idea on what to focus on next and ways on how to focus on it better.

It's also given me some knowledge to give back to the community, which shall be written up and posted this week time permitting.

What have you done in addition to reading 51 books? I'm referring to actual actionable and quantifiable steps. There is no way that reading one book a week is a +EV event unless you can quantify the actions that each book brought about. Even then it hardly makes sense as your time should be of enough value that reading for hours upon hours instead of working on the business detracts from the real goal.

Books should be read to strengthen your core business that you've already got going on. Reading the actual books shouldn't be the core focus.

This happens too often, I've been guilty of it too.

Regarding knowledge: you'd probably learn 10x more.. and a lot more quickly, by setting up a storefront and failing, then by reading 52 books.

I don't care either way, just pointing this out to potentially dissuade anyone that thinks this is a good idea.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
What have you done in addition to reading 51 books? I'm referring to actual actionable and quantifiable steps. There is no way that reading one book a week is a +EV event unless you can quantify the actions that each book brought about. Even then it hardly makes sense as your time should be of enough value that reading for hours upon hours instead of working on the business detracts from the real goal.

Books should be read to strengthen your core business that you've already got going on. Reading the actual books shouldn't be the core focus.

This happens too often, I've been guilty of it too.

Regarding knowledge: you'd probably learn 10x more.. and a lot more quickly, by setting up a storefront and failing, then by reading 52 books.

I don't care either way, just pointing this out to potentially dissuade anyone that thinks this is a good idea.

In response to question 1; I've started writing 52 books. Actually, it might be more than that..... I've had more business ideas than I would have had, if I hadn't read anything all year too. But I'm focusing on ONE at the moment.

After doing this 52 in 52 challenge, I think if you can't read 52 books in 52 weeks, then your down time is being wasted. More on that in my post to come though.

In response to the rest of the following spiel, like I mentioned above, "The ONE thing" is a book that has massively helped me figure out where to go, if I didn't do the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge (almost finished however many weeks early, started January 1st) I wouldn't have. It's all well and good saying about moving before learning, picking it up as you go along etc. But I've already done that before, and it failed me.

You shouldn't be dissuading anybody from reading, I think the direction of it is the main thing and that will also be in the post to come.

Stay tuned, it might even make you want to do it! :-D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.