The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Restriction & Binge Eating: How do I accept I should lose weight in a longer period of time?

A post of a ranting nature...
G

Guest12MW7076

Hi, I’ve been obese my whole life. I mean obese enough to be nothing else other than the fat guy. During the quarantine I started to lose weight and in one year I was down like 30 kg / 66 pounds. Then, I went back to my old habits and gained 10 kg / 22 pounds back. Right now, I am not obese, just overweight. But I have a hard time accepting the fact that I should approach it like a long term plan. I’ve been restricting myself for almost 2 years and I haven’t lost a pound because of this. How can I accept that I will have to diet for like a year to have abs? Also, is there someone who can help me pick a lifting routine? I got extremely lazy as well, I’d appreciate some advice about that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Aug 23, 2022
Hi, I’ve been obese my whole life. I mean obese enough to be nothing else other than the fat guy. During the quarantine I started to lose weight and in one year I was down like 30 kg / 66 pounds. Then, I went back to my old habits and gained 10 kg / 22 pounds back. Right now, I am not obese, just overweight. But I have a hard time accepting the fact that I should approach it like a long term plan. I’ve been restricting myself for almost 2 years and I haven’t lost a pound because of this. How can I accept that I will have to diet for like a year to have abs? Also, is there someone who can help me pick a lifting routine? I got extremely lazy as well, I’d appreciate some advice about that.
Start simple, add/remove one or two things from your routine that will help you to lose weight.

Pick two of these to start:

1. Pick one period during the day where you don't eat snacks. This could be between breakfast and lunch.

2. Go for a 15 minute walk every day.

3. Cut out frozen oven food (Pizzas, chips ect)

4. Cut out sodas. Replace them with 0 cal dilute orange to sweeten your water.

5. Reduce Alcohol consumption to once per week.

6. Fast for 12 hours, twice a week. (Example 9pm-9am).

7. Don't exceed your calorie maintenance (Check it using MyFitnessPal)

8. Cut out takeaways. (Highly Recommend)

9. Go to the gym 3 times per week

This should be easy to maintain. For example, picking #2 & #4 would be incredibly easy to add to your daily routine and would make a real difference. If you can't stick to at least two of these your problem is your a giant child with no self control.

Timo.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Jun 26, 2023
The problem is you see yourself as the "fat guy" who tries every approach but always ends up binge eating. You won't change if you keep this identity.

Start with small changes in your everyday life. Build very small habits like one push-up every time you go to the toilet or try to eat one healthy meal each day. Work your way up from there. Don't start by changing everything at the same time. Why should it work this time?

Also get some mental clarity. Journal about your current situation and realize that the past doesn't define you. You can change but only if you truly want it.

Don't be angry at yourself for where you are right now. Be angry at yourself if you don't change.

You didn't fail in the past because you were destined for failure. Instead your approach was wrong. So don't see yourself as a failure. Rather be grateful that you have the inner desire to change your life.

I wish you good luck on your journey!
Timo

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Aug 23, 2022
I think I already feel this way. I’ve tried maintaining, small calorie deficit, huge deficit, moderate deficit but I always ended up bingeing
You just stuck in a rut man. Don't be hard on yourself, just be better then your were last week. Even if you end up binge eating again, follow it up with a 15 min walk. Its still a failure, but a better failure then last week.

Rooting for you, I'll keep you in my prayers.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
I think I already feel this way. I’ve tried maintaining, small calorie deficit, huge deficit, moderate deficit but I always ended up bingeing
The only way to fix this problem is to drop the carbs.

As soon as you start restricting your calories while pumping insulin 24/7, your body enters starvation mode. This means that your base metabolic rate will drop, you will burn less calories, and your fat cells are getting ready to get fat again.

This creates a self reinforcing cycle of restriction and binge eating, and you just end up getting fatter and fatter with each iteration of the cycle. You also get hungrier and you also generate more fat cells. Which is very bad news.

It's not the calories that are making you fat. It's your disrupted metabolism and endocrine system.

It has nothing to do with exercising or your mental image of yourself. Remove the carbs and check your weight after 6 months. You will not be able to believe it.

twram

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
May 25, 2023
You started losing weight then you quit, the problem is you quit, don't quit and you won't fail.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022
I know all the secrets to help you lose weight. I lost 30 kilos and kept it off for 2 years. The secret is to not be a cunt. Just listen to David Goggins and Hamza day and night to get motivation. Then man up and go into starvation mode. Then don't be a pussy and remove all carbs. Then don't be a cunt and lift weights until you cannot lift anymore. If your girlfriend wants a night out for dinner tell her that she is not being up to the manly standards of the Sophists and break up with her. Your goal is to inflict as much pain on yourself, develop a calloused mind and get to your goal no matter what! If you do not succeed it is your fault and only yours. You have the power to become a sigma male by being a powerful introvert that focuses only on himself but secretly all women want him because he is an Adonisss!! What are you waiting for? The path is clear!

G

Guest12MW7076

The only way to fix this problem is to drop the carbs.

As soon as you start restricting your calories while pumping insulin 24/7, your body enters starvation mode. This means that your base metabolic rate will drop, you will burn less calories, and your fat cells are getting ready to get fat again.

This creates a self reinforcing cycle of restriction and binge eating, and you just end up getting fatter and fatter with each iteration of the cycle. You also get hungrier and you also generate more fat cells. Which is very bad news.

It's not the calories that are making you fat. It's your disrupted metabolism and endocrine system.

It has nothing to do with exercising or your mental image of yourself. Remove the carbs and check your weight after 6 months. You will not be able to believe it.
do you think intermittent fasting can help me as well? it’s amazing how this forum can help me learn tons of things everyday

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
The issue is that you are trying to get on a diet.

Even if you succeed in getting abs you will then loose them again if you back to your ways.

The only way to really make progress is to change your habits with the intention of never going back to something else.
When I decided to never eat sugar, fast food or other processed foods more than once a month (working on getting to never at all) or choose to never drink alcohol again, I made huge progress.
That is, because now you have a infinite time horizon (or at least a longer one) to make progress in.

To get here you have to realize that there is no genuine pleasure in junk food or binge eating.
Your tenth burger of the night will never taste as good as a good steak with some potatoes after a day of fasting and exercise.

Make slow progress but with the intention of never going back to eating unhealthy.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Also, is there someone who can help me pick a lifting routine? I got extremely lazy as well, I’d appreciate some advice about that.

I have shilled this program consistently and the people who did it and stuck with it gained a good deal of muscle. Ask @The-J

Scroll to the bottom and buy "The Best Workout Plan for Natural Lifters - Program 1" - The Best Workout Plan For Natural Lifters

You can learn how to do the exercises from youtube. Just record your lifts in a note taking app like evernote or some fitness app (I just use evernote)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have shilled this program consistently and the people who did it and stuck with it gained a good deal of muscle. Ask @The-J

Scroll to the bottom and buy "The Best Workout Plan for Natural Lifters - Program 1" - The Best Workout Plan For Natural Lifters

You can learn how to do the exercises from youtube. Just record your lifts in a note taking app like evernote or some fitness app (I just use evernote)

Should have taken your advice and taken "before" pictures because the difference is night and day. Going back to my logs (I log every workout, track my weight weekly, and log every meal), I gained 7.2 lbs (with no change in conditioning) in 6 weeks on my first run through of the program.

I don't do the program anymore as written but I still do the same exercises. This program is a plateau-buster for sure.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I gained 7.2 lbs (with no change in conditioning) in 6 weeks on my first run through of the program.

So probably 4-4.5 of muscle in those 6 weeks. And while 4 lbs sounds like a small number, adding 10 lbs of muscle will dramatically change how you look, which is doable in 3-4 months. And you can add like 20-25 lbs of muscle in your first year as a beginner.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Think of building your body the way a slowlaner thinks about compound interest (I know slowlaner has a negative connotation here, but compound interest does have some valuable lessons - we just strive to do it faster and better here):

it starts off slow, and then all of a sudden, it takes off. You just have to stick with it and your fitness results will surprise you.

And yes, intermittent fasting works well.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
do you think intermittent fasting can help me as well? it’s amazing how this forum can help me learn tons of things everyday
Yes, time restricted eating is going to help as well, for the same reason I've stated above: regulation of the endocrine system and metabolism.

Fewer carbs -> Less insulin (amount)
Fewer meals -> Less insulin (frequency)

Less insulin -> Less fat anabolism

Start by throwing away all the sugar, then gradually remove the rest of the carbs over the course of a few months. 1-2 meals a day should be appropriate.

Don't jump the gun, don't aim for quick results. The only way you'll be able to get lean and stay lean forever is to implement this nutritional approach as a long-term lifestyle.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I know all the secrets to help you lose weight. I lost 30 kilos and kept it off for 2 years. The secret is to not be a cunt. Just listen to David Goggins and Hamza day and night to get motivation. Then man up and go into starvation mode. Then don't be a pussy and remove all carbs. Then don't be a cunt and lift weights until you cannot lift anymore. If your girlfriend wants a night out for dinner tell her that she is not being up to the manly standards of the Sophists and break up with her. Your goal is to inflict as much pain on yourself, develop a calloused mind and get to your goal no matter what! If you do not succeed it is your fault and only yours. You have the power to become a sigma male by being a powerful introvert that focuses only on himself but secretly all women want him because he is an Adonisss!! What are you waiting for? The path is clear!

Gosh, with wisdom like this I am shocked you aren't a millionaire!

So it basically it all about willpower? Interesting. Hold that thought.

Have you launched your business yet?

What are you waiting for? The path is clear!

Are you sigma status yet?

Stop being a beta, listen to Goggins and Hamza and get after it!

Written in a bro-marketing tone that people will like. I hope you mature and develop more compassion for your fellow humans.

Maybe you should take your own advice?

Willpower is a finite source. If you ask this question you have already lost and you do not know it.

My advice would be to 1) Get educated on how satiety and the CICO model works 2) Make changes in your environment so that you have a fighting chance 3) Start with one good habit at a time.

People that lost weight and kept it off forever have 3 characteristics 1) They weigh themselves almost daily 2) They exercise 3) They do portion control.

Your goal is to find a diet that works for you, for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. The forever diet. No yo-yo dieting.

Funny how this guy here has a very different approach to weight loss. This guy says it is more than willpower. He sounds way more helpful too.

What gives?

Remember folks, be careful who you take advice from...

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022
Gosh, with wisdom like this I am shocked you aren't a millionaire!

So it basically it all about willpower? Interesting. Hold that thought.

Have you launched your business yet?

What are you waiting for? The path is clear!

Are you sigma status yet?

Stop being a beta, listen to Goggins and Hamza and get after it!

Maybe you should take your own advice?

Funny how this guy here has a very different approach to weight loss. This guy says it is more than willpower. He sounds way more helpful too.

What gives?

Remember folks, be careful who you take advice from...
Have you ever heard of sarcasm? I don't have the patience or crayons to explain this to you.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Have you ever heard of sarcasm? I don't have the patience or crayons to explain this to you.

Funny, that's not how I expect a sigma male to respond.

Sarcasm. Hmm. So enlightening.

Hey everyone, don't bother reading the above quoted post. @Panos Daras was just being SARCASTIC.

I'm sure he didn't intend to WASTE EVERYONE'S TIME WITH NEEDLESS BELLIGERENCE.

He probably doesn't know any better.

----

Back to you, Panos. Lack of patience when called out. You've got "future success" written all over you, don't you?

It's such a shame you can't afford even one crayon though. My heart goes out to you.

But maybe coloring with crayons will help you get a bit humble, eh? I know coloring with my kids puts things in real perspective.

Tell you what, DM your address and I'll ship you a whole box of Crayola.

Now you probably think this is more sarcasm, but as I have never heard of the word, I assure you I am dead a$$ serious.

I lost 30 kilos and kept it off for 2 years.

And congrats on keeping the weight off!!!

Oh wait.

That's probably sarcasm too. I'm really so dense. It's a new word and all. I'm learning Panos. Be patient with me. If you can.

I want to be a problem solver and provide value to people.

Really? When does this start? Did I miss all the value you are dropping in this thread? On the forum?

Judging from that V/P ratio maybe the whole forum is missing out on your genius. Poor suckers.

Me myself, I am trying to reframe my mindset, and this is one of the reasons that I joined this forum.

How's it going though?

I'm just a humble, dense forum member here trying to help you get to your goals. Reframe that mindset.

Here, let me just give you one bit of advice. It's really solid advice if you think about it.

The secret is to not be a cunt.

Hopefully this isn't a secret any longer. Reframing your whole mindset starts here.

If you're not going to be entrepreneurial with your posts, at least try to be a little more professional next time, eh? You can do that at least, can't you Mr Finance Project Manager?

Oh. Wait. You think to communicate using crayons. Maybe professionalism is too much too ask.

Is it also too much to ask you to provide actual value instead of sarcasm?

Time to step your game up Panos.

G

Guest12MW7076

Hey everyone, don't bother reading the above quoted post. @Panos Daras was just being SARCASTIC.

----

Back to you, Panos. Lack of patience when called out. You've got "future success" written all over you, don't you?

It's such a shame you can't afford even one crayon though. My heart goes out to you.

But maybe coloring with crayons will help you get a bit humble, eh? I know coloring with my kids puts things in real perspective.

Now you probably think this is more sarcasm, but as I have never heard of the word, I assure you I am dead a$$ serious.

Oh wait.

That's probably sarcasm too. I'm really so dense. It's a new word and all. I'm learning Panos. Be patient with me. If you can.

Really? When does this start? Did I miss all the value you are dropping in this thread? On the forum?

Judging from that V/P ratio maybe the whole forum is missing out on your genius. Poor suckers.

How's it going though?

I'm just a humble, dense forum member here trying to help you get to your goals. Reframe that mindset.

Here, let me just give you one bit of advice. It's really solid advice if you think about it.

Hopefully this isn't a secret any longer. Reframing your whole mindset starts here.

If you're not going to be entrepreneurial with your posts, at least try to be a little more professional next time, eh? You can do that at least, can't you Mr Finance Project Manager?

Oh. Wait. You think to communicate using crayons. Maybe professionalism is too much too ask.

he’s the same guy who complained about hormozi selling a book for 0.87 , i’m really not sure if he is worth your time

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022

----

Oh wait.

How's it going though?

I see you are going through tough times. I really hope you get past them. Best of luck!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
567%
Apr 17, 2022
Nobody could tell this was sarcasm, because:
  • sarcasm is supposed to be funny, your post was not
  • sarcasm is supposed to be intelligent, your post was not

What I find really concerning however, is that what you've posted above - taken at face value - is actually of a higher quality than your usual posts in which you do not use sarcasm.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Dec 27, 2016

First of all, beat yourself up as little as possible. You are you, and you have to start with what you have right now.

What worked for me, was tracking.

What gets measured, gets managed as well.

Get a fitness tracker (I have Mi Band 6) and get a scale (I use Mi Smart Scale 2). These things cost less than 50$ together.

1688034239551.png
Create a table just like this and tip in your values everyday.

Even if you write the two things (your daily weight and if you made 10000 steps a day), it would make a significant impact in a month.

After then, you can add calorie counting and macros.

Stop beating yourself up going to gym or so, if you do not enjoy it. If you like taking walks, take walks.

For me, I can play 5 vs 5 soccer every goddamn day, so that is what I prefer to do, when I do not take walks.

What you do regularly plays a way more significant role in your trend, then once-in-a-month binges.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

process > event
build the habits that will last a lifetime
You don't rush becoming a fit person. You become a fit person and stay fit for life! That's what you really want :) You can do it!

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023
This may or may not help but it completely changed the way I see nutrition and fitness, and I've seen my best results since.

Focus on feeling good, having energy, and improving consistently at some physical activity you enjoy.
Example, I love running, I run 5-7 times a week. My performance, and enjoyment, significantly drops when I eat food I know isn't good for me the day before or just before. So I stopped doing it.

What this also means is that I'm not starving myself because it leads to poor performance, I'm not gorging myself because it leads to poor performance.
This translates to general life outside of exercise automatically as well.

Just because you're not a professional athlete, doesn't mean your body that does so much for you doesn't deserve to be treated like one.

I hope this helps. Lots of other great advice on what's worked for other people above.

Best of luck in your lifetime journey!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.