The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Youtube is the new Fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
First lets talk about what doesn't work.
1) MONETIZING THROUGH ADS:

Exactly.

I mentioned this in a thread I started earlier.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...sons-from-a-documentary-about-sneakers.52028/

It shows (towards the end) musicians making money from merchandise (in this case, sneakers). The few cents per click you get from adsense may be nice (or substantial if you are at the very top of the pyramid), but it's nothing compared to what you can do with derivative products.

The way I see it, artists get the bulk of their money from the branded merchandise they sell, not the the song they sell on itunes for $1.19 (of which most goes to the record company).

p.s. here is an Kanye West selling a plain white t-shirt for $120. They sold out apparently.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/style-kanye-west-apc-120-plain-white-hiphop-t-shirt-sells-out.html

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Zac Headrick

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 30, 2014
St. Paul, MN / San Diego, CA
It shows (towards the end) musicians making money from merchandise (in this case, sneakers). The few cents per click you get from adsense may be nice (or substantial if you are at the very top of the pyramid), but it's nothing compared to what you can do with derivative products.

The way I see it, artists get the bulk of their money from the branded merchandise they sell, not the the song they sell on itunes for $1.19 (of which most goes to the record company).

Good observation Simon. I think every industry needs to use YouTube differently, but at the end of the day it is all about getting eyeballs on your product/service so you can build a following and community. If you are in business, the goal is to have the right systems and marketing in place to profit from that following.

Musicians are in a great position because they have information to sell (their music) already. I'm sure some artists do very well from apparel sales as well.

I would take a different approach if I was a musician. I would offer THREE free songs that aren't available anywhere else online. These would be songs that I held off of my album or some of my early tracks that never made an album.

I would send these to people when they entered in their email address. As soon as they entered in their name/email I would send them the MP3 files and also a cool video I shot thanking them for joining and letting them know I would have more awesome stuff for them in the coming weeks.

Now I own that lead as an email subscriber and I can market to them for years to come as long as I build their trust and provide enough value so they want to keep opening my emails and staying subscribed to my list.

-I can send them a deal on my apparel
-I can let them know when a knew song/album comes out
-I can offer a cool contest/giveaway to drive value and build trust
-I can ask them to follow me on my other social media accounts to build my following there
-The ideas are limitless

The power with all marketing is in owning the lead/list in my personal opinion. It makes the relationship stronger and allows you to provide multiple touch points with that lead until they become a paying customer or a raving fan.

It also allows you to test what is working and what isn't with your follow up process and as that improves you can start to know how much a lead is worth to you and how much you can spend to acquire a lead which is VERY valuable data to have.

-Zac

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Did you have dedicated Google account manager at that point?
Are you talking from your own experience with them or from some blog post you may have read?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.