The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Youtube demonitizing channels on large scale. When MJ's right he's right.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
As the title says youtube is demonetizing large channels on a massive scale. They've always had a terms of service that was really vague but didn't enforce it very well until now. I keep seeing tons of videos about people saying oh youtube's my job, how am I going to survive, etc.

Man, when MJ is right, he's right. I remember he talked about how adsense should not be the meat and potatoes of your business. Google shut down the ads on the forums in the past and he mentioned how if he had relied on ad money alone to live off of he would've been screwed.

The commandment of control strikes again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I heard about this on twitter.

This is why I'm only using outside sources to test markets.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
This is fantastic - it's the SEO crash all over again.
- Google changes something
- People lose all their income and cry
- Then the prepared ones adapt and survive

Short term makes sense:
- Less channels to place your ad on
- Increase bids on the clean ones

Dunno what the long term is though.

Seems like TV networks have finally embraced online video, so wouldn't be surprised if they're paving the way for that.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Actually, Youtube has been doing this for years.

They're just implementing an appeal system and notifying people of when/why their videos get unmonetized.

But... this incident could just be one of many.

Youtube isn't profitable, and needs to find ways to actually make money for Google. Apparently, the user data they get from the videos simply isn't enough to cover the hosting costs of petabytes of data, constantly being streamed all over the world.

Advertising is Google's bread and butter, so it makes sense to increase the value of their video traffic by maintaining the quality of videos that get advertised on. This way, more advertisers pay for it, CPMs go up, and everybody is happy.

Video isn't as effective as direct response, in my opinion... but it's a hell of a lot more scalable. The majority of advertisers on Youtube are advertisers who have been running ads for decades on cable TV. Also, PPV is expensive and can add up quick as the eyeballs add up.

It's the content creators that are going to get boned... as they always have been. How many shows out there with cult followings have been cancelled because the ratings simply weren't there?

If anyone here is creating content on Youtube, this isn't a warning to STOP: it's a warning to create content and host it elsewhere. Facebook is a HUUUUUGE platform for video, and it's really really easy to boost a Facebook video. Not only that, they've done a pilot test for FB video monetization and are planning to roll it out.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Making a YouTube channel to market your business or product still holds good.
Making money with ads should just be considered as a bonus.

G

Guest34764

I don't think anything will rise up against youtube for a long time.

I also don't think youtube will continue the way they have been these past few weeks, though they might continue demonetising, who knows?

Surely not the content creators who use a singular website as their primary income....

Jee that sounds like a problem don't it?

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
lmao I hate to laugh but it's hilarious that leafy and others are panicking so hard. but i mean it was inevitable, really, especially w/ channels like leafy's and keem's which are just drama cancer. their vids consist almost entirely of abusive content.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm very happy this is happening in one Niche. :) In some ways it's a blessing for some content to be removed.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
There are 2 sides to this:
  1. How is YouTube making money (or not)?
  2. How are YouTubers making money (or not)?
The first question is somewhat irrelevant (to us) because we can't change what they do. However, depending on how they change their revenue model, it can have an effect on how we continue to use YouTube in the future. So, for arguments sake, we'll leave out what YouTube does on their end, for now, and just assume they figure out how to make money or stay afloat.

Let's talk about the YouTubers.

To some YouTubers, this is the end. Why? They let YouTube decide their fate by simply clicking the "show advertising" button in their settings.

To other YouTubers, this is a massive, massive win. Why? They did not let YouTube decide their fate and didn't care as much about the "show advertising" button in their settings.

Let me explain.

First, I'm not saying anyone is wrong either way. If a YouTuber made money by allowing YouTube to advertise on their videos, great! Take full advantage of a gold rush while it's hot. However, the mine they were digging is now their own grave because they let it be the sole source for their gold.

Those who have used YouTube for attention and have figured out how to monetize their channel in some other way(s) are going to keep on winning, and keep on producing. In fact, they'll likely scale even further because the butt hurt YouTubers who don't have monetization in some other form are going to die out, thus reducing competition. If they were smart, they'd join the ranks of those with other monetization methods, but that's another post.

Start at 0:41:

Are you a cat or mouse?

Last edited:

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Funnily, we contacted YouTube in late 2013, backing up our suggestions on a very serious scale, but they didn't do anything until now.
Demonetizing a large portion of content was our #2 suggestion.

It was very stupid to assume that such a poor quality of content will be welcomed forever. YouTube made itself a very bad reputation of a very bad content platform, which they didn't even try to reorganize for years, years and years.
We'll see a lot of changes in Google's algorithms, YouTube's content policy and so on, it's just a matter of time. Otherwise they'll be out of game within next 5 years, which I don't even doubt.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
The YouTubers "simply" have to switch their income streams. They still have this huge following. Affiliate marketing and product placements would be the easy way out, own products and merchandise would be another.

Gesendet von meinem XT1032 mit Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.