The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your looks have a major impact on your life

Dutchman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jul 31, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks are the most important thing in life.

It has been researched by various studies. I am not going to read them though, it would depress me too much.
Google if you're interested.

A Little Test!!!

2277285025_1102187af7_z.jpg

What were your thoughts?
Mine: Probably a dumb girl, many "friends"... probably a golddigger

And another test

nb7aF.jpg

Not "social", weak guy, weird, not valuable... People will treat him bad due to his looks. It defines him as a person. His self-esteem is very low... Nobody sees him as smart either.

What can one do to improve his looks? What can one do about his or her genes?
Nothing...
Harsh reality. Big impact, little control.

I had severe acne during highschool. Nobody wanted to talk to me. They made fun of me, they punished me. Nothing that I could do about it. The doctor described Accutane (chemotherapy drug) after a long period of suffering.

P.S. I am not that guy on the picture. It is a random google image. Consequences for my behavior: I don't like to be in "social" settings anymore. People just largely like or dislike you based on your looks. People prejudice based on looks. Just like I do too.

I think that looks play a major impact on life's destiny.

6d122a78.jpg6d122a78.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I think it is all different. Judging strictly from a picture is kind of harsh.

Take this for example- On shark tank, there was this dude who sold a DVD set that taught men how to improve themselves in terms of style/looks.

The first guy walks out and is supposed to be the "Average Joe". He was wearing flip-flops, a baggy-ish shirt, and the blink 182 style/ long shorts.
Then the presenter says "I'll turn this average joe, into this"
And another guy walks out who is supposed to be the improved version. Now this guy is wearing khaki dress pants, a sweater vest (Around that style), and all dressed up.

....Honestly, I saw the first guy as a dude you'd see in like a weezer video. Someone who dresses normal but is cool as hell and talented.
The second guy I saw as a dude who dresses nice but was probably a douche bag and didn't care about anything but girls.

See, that is just one perspective. I'd say stop letting people judge you. So what if you look anti-social....if you have a multi-million dollar business in the works... look as lame as you want!!!!!!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
IMO It all comes down to self esteem. The worst thing you can do in life is to reject yourself. Forget about what everyone else thinks.

The ultimate test of your self esteem will be this question: If you could be any person on this planet earth, who would it be? If your answer is not YOU then you lack self esteem. IMO

Self esteem is a prerequisite to confidence and happiness.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I think you're way overestimating the importance of looks.

Self-assuredness will make the ugliest person suddenly seem 500% more interesting/attractive/powerful. Maybe they'll never be mistaken for a "heartthrob," but I think a lot of how we see a person is mixed up with how they present themselves.

Also - "People prejudice based on looks. Just like I do too." Sorry, but that's just not true. Your reactions were so extreme that they struck me as almost pathological. You see a pretty blonde and you think dumb girl, golddigger? You see a nerd and think not valuable? wth? Those aren't in the picture at all. Here were my first reactions:

The blonde: "ooh, pretty. Strange angle."

The nerd: "no chin? Looks almost exactly like [guy I once knew]."

Interestingly, the guy I once knew that looked like your nerd, he pretty much oozed self-assuredness. You would probably write him off at first glance, but this guy was a people-magnet. He was smart, creative, and supremely sure of himself. People wanted to be around him.

And I mean, he really looked almost exactly like that guy. Except he also wore big ugly old-fashioned glasses.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I agree looks do make a big difference. But about this...

What can one do to improve his looks? What can one do about his or her genes?
Nothing...
Harsh reality. Big impact, little control.

I had severe acne during highschool. Nobody wanted to talk to me. They made fun of me, they punished me. Nothing that I could do about it.

Whaat?

BODY
First off, you can take the look of your body any way you want by choosing the proper activity and proper nutrition.
Want a body building body, or lean and ripped, or sumo wrestler?

Even if you're short, you can at your age do a multitude of things to grow taller, much much taller, so even such thing
can be solved. Damn, there's even a procedure for people past their puberty to grow taller, where they break there
bones (literally), painful and risky procedure but POSSIBLE!

And then there's plastic surgery, hopefully as a last resort. Man, Michael Jackson changed the color of his skin.

FACE
Then you can largely impact the look of your face also by nutrition, various cosmetic treatments, different hair and beard styling.
Some less than pretty people even resort to tattoos and piercings, and then achieve interesting and cool look, special.
Acne? I think there's ton of treatments for that, and you may also try natural alternatives, I have no clue which that would be
but they must exist.

Or just make a beard part of your image, many people use beards to hide stuff. Then adjust your hairstyle, and overall style, go with that image, be the cool guy with the beard. Work with what you have, get the best out of it.

And again, plastic surgery really does so much things today, it can probably help you with the face whatever your issue is.

Hope this helps. Make the best of what you have.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Interesting thread. People pass judgement in the first 5 seconds of seeing you, and then do everything in their power to back up that judgement in the next 5 minutes. The way a person dresses and caries themselves has a lot to do with this.

Have you ever walked through a Saks Fifth in comfy, and not top of the line designer clothes? Have you ever walked through with a nice pressed pair of slacks, a clean button down oxford with a classy tie and suit jacket? Same person, different reactions from the staff. Present yourself with a professional, positive, classy appearance, and people have no choice but to treat you that way.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
IMO Good looks can't hurt... This is why I try to stay in shape, clean cut and wear suits.

Dutchman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jul 31, 2012
The Netherlands
I agree looks do make a big difference. But about this...

Whaat?

BODY
First off, you can take the look of your body any way you want by choosing the proper activity and proper nutrition.
Want a body building body, or lean and ripped, or sumo wrestler?

FACE
Then you can largely impact the look of your face also by nutrition, various cosmetic treatments, different hair and beard styling.
Some less than pretty people even resort to tattoos and piercings, and then achieve interesting and cool look, special.

Maybe you do have a pretty or average face. Congratulations sir, you just won the genetic lottery!

A ugly person can't save himself by cleaning his hair and taking some steroids. Please look at this guy, look at him! How can some grooming save him?

hermanberghuis.jpg

4gszrp.jpg

and another example

ugly_person_03.jpg

They've failed in life. These guys do not possess good genetics.
I expected this kind of reactions though. Social conditioning, people want to believe in a fairytale.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Yep, it's true.

People treat you differently depending on how you look.

Height, facial symmetry, skin color, voice, weight, blemishes... all of these things have an impact.

My height has had the biggest impact on my life, more so than my race, weight, or facial appearance. I'm somewhere between 5'7 and 5'8 depending on whether it's a good day or not. I've not only been made fun of, but I've been downright disrespected. A lot of girls *say that they* have a height requirement of who they would date, and I'm always beneath it (they actually don't have a hard-and-fast rule: they, much like men, only say that they do to keep the appearance of having standards; I would learn this later in adolescence). Guys don't look at me with the same kind of respect as they do tall people, or even people of so-called 'average' height.

Here's the thing, though: features like height, weight, race, etc. don't have an effect on your chances for 'extraordinary' success; just on your chances for 'ordinary' success. A black person will have a harder time finding a good job than a white person. That's just a fact. However, a black person will not have a harder time establishing a successful business than a white person. Their chances are both equally near 0%.

Looks should never be an excuse. Neither should injuries or disabilities. Yes, there are some things you just can't do if you're in certain situations. But it doesn't take very long to figure out what they are. Go after worthy goals.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
lol

It's all about the brain. I been ugly and I been drop dead beautiful. The brain is what is going to make you hot. I can wear high-heels, afford plastic surgery, get clear skin, wear lace wigs for the whole natural blonde look, read Satanic beauty books (YES ! I read one The Satanic Witch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) lol, I'm not a Satanist though, but I'll do anything for beauty. Yes, sir'ee, lol.

or I can gain 100 lbs, have short brown hair, or shave it off (like Britney) and make myself ugly. Put on a pair of glasses, let my skin go down the hill, and smell like cat pee.

Beauty open doors, but the brain keeps you in the room. It only helps. I say it helps more than a college degree.

But beauty isn't going to make you a millionaire. It's just going to help in life.... but the brain is more important. You can't fix stupid.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Yep, it's true.

Height, facial symmetry, skin color, voice, weight, blemishes... all of these things have an impact.

My height has had the biggest impact on my life, more so than my race, weight, or facial appearance. I'm somewhere between 5'7 and 5'8 depending on whether it's a good day or not. I've not only been made fun of, but I've been downright disrespected. A lot of girls *say that they* have a height requirement of who they would date, and I'm always beneath it (they actually don't have a hard-and-fast rule: they, much like men, only say that they do to keep the appearance of having standards; I would learn this later in adolescence). Guys don't look at me with the same kind of respect as they do tall people, or even people of so-called 'average' height.

Here's the thing, though: features like height, weight, race, etc. don't have an effect on your chances for 'extraordinary' success; just on your chances for 'ordinary' success. A black person will have a harder time finding a good job than a white person. That's just a fact. However, a black person will not have a harder time establishing a successful business than a white person. Their chances are both equally near 0%.

Looks should never be an excuse. Neither should injuries or disabilities. Yes, there are some things you just can't do if you're in certain situations. But it doesn't take very long to figure out what they are. Go after worthy goals.

you know you can wear shoes that would make you taller? like Tom Cruise?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
you know you can wear shoes that would make you taller? like Tom Cruise?

Platforms on me are the most obvious thing in the world. My hair adds between 1 and 2 inches of height, though, so I compensate in that way.

I'm still taller than most girls, so my height isn't that much of a handicap. The biggest handicap is dealing with men who are peers and authority figures.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Maybe you do have a pretty or average face. Congratulations sir, you just won the genetic lottery!

A ugly person can't save himself by cleaning his hair and taking some steroids. Please look at this guy, look at him! How can some grooming save him?

View attachment 3862

View attachment 3863

and another example

View attachment 3864

I expected this kind of reactions though. Social conditioning, people want to believe in a fairytale.

Ummm....

2 of them can become good-looking, the last one can become attractive.

1st one, needs a chin implant, rhinoplasty, skin tanning, wear contacts (to take off glasses), put on some skin medication to smooth it out

2nd one... eyebrow serum to darken them, (i think it's the camera angle that makes him ugly...)

3rd one... (he cannot be goodlooking, but attractive), skin tanning, teeth veneers, circle lenses, and tons of muscles.

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
I would have to agree, it's the sad truth. Really though, who looks perfect all the time? We all have those " I hope nobody sees me like this" kind of days. If you take care of yourself and dress well, what else can you do? Be confident and show them you can do anything any "beautiful" person can do.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yep, it's true.

Dude im like 5'9" and no one ever says crap like that to me.

sal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 14, 2012

I think your being too self conscious, they haven't failed at life?
They might of been born with bad genetics for their outer shell but that doesn't mean that they lack mental ability?
If it was either or, I'd rather have an ugly exterior and be intelligent than look good and be stupid as f%^k.

sal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 14, 2012
stupid as in what ways?

stupid in as an ignorant low-life? or stupid as in mental handicap?

two completely different versions of stupid.
Stupid, dumb, lack of ambition/direction, #yolo etc etc

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Maybe it's more than height... and that's why he can't get girls and respect?

Nah. Girls haven't been a problem for me in years.

In recent times, my problems have been with men not giving me the respect I want at first meeting. Typically, when they get to know me, they respect me. The prejudice is a little bit irritating but I try not to worry about it: mostly because they stop trying to push their weight around after I open my mouth.

That's just everyday stuff that I deal with when it comes to people I don't know.

As far as the girls saying that they have a height requirement and stuff, that itself doesn't affect me because I know it's not exactly true (I know a not-exactly-attractive brown guy who is 5'5, 200 some pounds who gets girls quite easily; even chicks who claim to have 'standards'). Plus, I have a girlfriend, so it's not like I worry about other girls' standards.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Worst. Thread. Ever.

Get some real life experience instead of creating garbage threads that are purely based upon your own insecurities (which you are clearly trying to get other people to agree with, so that you feel better about yourself)

Harsh words? sure... but what would be worse, is if you kept living your life under false pretenses which will hold you back from growing as a human being.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Nah. Girls haven't been a problem for me in years.

In recent times, my problems have been with men not giving me the respect I want at first meeting. Typically, when they get to know me, they respect me. The prejudice is a little bit irritating but I try not to worry about it: mostly because they stop trying to push their weight around after I open my mouth.

That is a young guy thing not a height thing. I deal with it. Just dress nice and look professional. People will just have to wonder.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I think your being too self conscious, they haven't failed at life?
They might of been born with bad genetics for their outer shell but that doesn't mean that they lack mental ability?
If it was either or, I'd rather have an ugly exterior and be intelligent than look good and be stupid as f%^k.

+1 Well said!

I'm 5'9, too and I never get that I'm short - that's about average for a male. Just look presentable. Presentable clothing, haircut, clean shaven the only thing that needs to be perfect is your attitude and you're good to go.

I'm in the tech industry and most of the guys I try to get meetings with definitely give me the cold shoulder but by adapting to the environment and getting a 'feel' of the person, you'll be miles ahead already. Trust me, I go back and forth between Toronto and Houston, two completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
That is a young guy thing not a height thing. I deal with it. Just dress nice and look professional. People will just have to wonder.

That's very true, as well. I still can't grow facial hair... lol. After talking over the phone and meeting up, people have told me 'You are... not quite what I expected.' because I sound much older than I actually am.

That's a prejudice that is temporary, though, and also something not to worry about. That almost always goes away with proven results. You think Mark Zuckerberg still gets the 'young guy' treatment?

Moral of the story: people have prejudices, just don't give into them and don't let them determine your direction in life.

Unless you're 6'9", then be a professional volleyball player.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Facial hair beyond some shadow makes you look like a occupy wall streeter if you are young. I wouldnt. LMAO.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Worst. Thread. Ever.

Get some real life experience instead of creating garbage threads that are purely based upon your own insecurities (which you are clearly trying to get other people to agree with, so that you feel better about yourself)

Harsh words? sure... but what would be worse, is if you kept living your life under false pretenses which will hold you back from growing as a human being.

Harsh as F*CK but yet I agree. Say you're in a restaurant ordering food and you have the choice of 2 waitresses. One is not so attractive but is the nicest lady in the entire building, and the other is hot as hell but yet has the personality of a brick...who would you want serving you?

My buddies and I continually go to a pizza place and the hotter girls there are the less polite ones. I actually try to go for the ones that aren't as attractive.

Hopefully this won't be something that holds you back.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL

I am 5'7 (supposed to be 5'9 by the end but I doubt it). I really notice my height when I am at the gym, there are some adult men who are a god inch or 2 shorter than me, and their are some 16 year old kids who are 6'5, but I don't really care how tall I am, it is what it is, in fact I would rather be under 6 ft for a lot of reasons.

Reason one is your back, my grandpa is 80 and can barely walk because of his back, he has had surgery a bunch on it and he is in constant pain from it, generally, the taller you are the more likely you will have back issues later in life and back issues can ruin you day to day living. Sure I can't play pro basketball but I can hold my own in casual play, and one thing I REALLY want to do when I get older is drive a Formula 1 car whether it be professionally or just for the hell of it, and let me tell you you can't fit in one of those if you are over 5'9-5'10. In fact most of the F1 drivers are like 5'7 to 5'8: Formula One 2010 Drivers Guide: The low-down on every driver competing in this year

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.