The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your Focus Determines Your Reality.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
In life. In business. In happiness.

One of my children is still but a youngling. He doesn't speak yet, other than the occasional bit of sign language we've taught him. His mannerisms are wondrous, and he's very, very smart.

Having an older brother to look up to, he's consistently pushing the limits of what one might think a 1 year old might be capable of. But, what does he care? That's his world. He's just adapting.

We lovingly call him our Trooper, because that's exactly what he is.

Trooper has traveled quite a bit for his age, and he doesn't mind. He gazes at his surroundings, points and grunts at whatever peaks his interest, and happily goes about his days conquering the mountains a 1 year old typically faces with relative ease, not caring much about his current situation. He makes the best of it, and doesn't complain.

He was trying to figure out a block box (say that ten times fast), where different shaped blocks must be fit through their corresponding holes in order to get into the box. There's 5 blocks, and 5 different holes for each one, respectively.

He tried for several minutes just pushing the square at the triangle. No go. Next, he tried the square at the circle. No go. He then tried the square at the star. No go.

He picked up another piece and started the same process over again. He attempted to fit the triangle into the square, the circle and the star. No go.

He picked up two pieces and held them together, just taking his time in observing them and banged them together a few times to hear what they sounded like. Then he set them down and walked away.

At this point, most would think he was defeated and simply wasn't old enough yet to understand how it works. Some might suggest he needs more practice. He needs more learning. He needs something simpler.

Wrong.

Trooper came back into the living area with a small tote which normally carried a fake stethoscope, band aids, and other "doctor" gadgets and gizmos. He emptied the bag on the floor, gathered all the shaped blocks, put them in the tote, and strolled away.

Now, many parents might look at that as a failure. He wasn't capable of putting the blocks in their corresponding holes, and therefore was defeated.

I think he succeeded in many ways.
  1. He persisted in trying. He attempted several combinations of resolving the issue with one block, then chose another and tried more.
  2. He observed the tools he had at hand. By simply taking the time to look at the blocks he had, he was able to gauge the level of difficulty he was facing, and whether or not the tools were the issue.
  3. He resolved. He wasn't able to get the blocks in the box, but he found a quick and dirty method to get the job done, even if it wasn't what he initially intended.
Trooper started with a goal, analyzed what action he could take, and chose to get something done.

And he was happy with his result.

In your business, in your life and in your dreams, are you persisting or resisting? Are you observing your surroundings looking for answers, or complaining you don't have the right tools, education, or budget? Are you resolving to take action every single day, or procrastinating over and over?

And finally...

Are you happy?

If not, you have to do something about it. Now. Not tomorrow. Not after you make a plan. Not after your opportunity presents itself. This IS your opportunity. You're living it right now.

If you want money, focus on it.
If you want fame, focus on it.
If you want peace, focus on it.
If you want happiness, focus on it.

Go focus on being productive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
If you want money, focus on it.
If you want fame, focus on it.
If you want peace, focus on it.
If you want happiness, focus on it.
I am all for focus, and not sure what goes on in a babies mind, but usually fear and wrong beliefs get in the way. I see people focus, but still have limiting beliefs. A young child doesn't have any fears or limiting beliefs from the past. Although Little Albert was conditioned to fear. http://psychology.about.com/od/classicpsychologystudies/a/little-albert-experiment.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Truly, the title of this post is the real gem of this thread (although your son Trooper sounds like a-ok kinda guy : )

Most people don't realize how significantly your focus impacts your perception, and what you feel consequently.

That's why you have be careful with goal-setting, you may set your milestones too high, not reach them, and then focus too much on the failure.

Since you get what you focus on, you may hate yourself for constantly focusing on failure. I crafted an Instagram post to reflect this concept (have you had a chance to read this marketing thread?).

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 3.16.36 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
you may set your milestones too high, not reach them, and then focus too much on the failure.

You may also succeed wildly, and even if you don't you still crushed a lot of smaller goals on the way.

I don't believe in milestones that are too high, and I love failure.

Embrace failure, own it, and make it your bitch. :punch:

Then re-focus on your vision and drive on.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Grit, Determination and Results, The Force is strong in Trooper.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
a5dbeae58c44a6b01975e793d7e96fe8.jpg

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
That's why you have be careful with goal-setting, you may set your milestones too high, not reach them, and then focus too much on the failure.

Since you get what you focus on, you may hate yourself for constantly focusing on failure.

Let's discuss this.

I'm leaning closer towards what @SinisterLex said, that we shouldn't limit our goals. But let's talk about why that is.

Goals are the finish line for a particular series of actions. Would you agree? If I do "x" actions, your goal is to attain/obtain "y" result.

By simply setting a "goal" and saying that's what I want/want to achieve, you're mostly right that a person might focus on the failure of having not achieved if they miss their target. But I am going to suggest it's the goal oriented thoughts that are the failure themselves.

What you should be doing is focusing on the behaviors you control which lead to the possibility of achieving your goal.
  • You can't set a goal of losing 10 pounds with the expectations of succeeding and not take some sort of systematic approach in dealing with your everyday behaviors.
  • You can't set a goal of making $10,000 next month without focusing your efforts on the daily behaviors it would require to create that revenue.
Simply focusing on the end goal is the failure.

See, if you focus on completing "X" tasks every single day, and you successfully complete them, you can't possibly focus on failure of your goal. Why? You did exactly what you intended--you actually succeeded.

The reason you didn't achieve your goal is simply due to the fact that you didn't create the right system/process/program to achieve your goal. Therefore, the failure you can focus on is a metric you can modify.

In this way, you can never lose. You may not have achieved your goal, but you can learn from your failure to plan.

Last edited:

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Perspective is necessary. One would think that his goal was to stuff the blocks in a box. Apparently not! Apparently, his goal was to own the blocks, because he liked them, by carrying them into his space. Originally, the plan was to stuff them into the box in order to relocate them. But when this didn't work easily, another solution emerged - an easier, more natural, more easily achieved solution.

So, in my own life - how can I skip step one, which is being offered to my by conventional wisdom, and go straight to step 2...?

Brilliant!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Yoda ... good post.

A couple things.

I've been focusing on thinking bigger. My Wife said something that surprised me because I didn't think she was paying attention. Something like...It seems your 'thinking bigger' is getting bigger the bigger you think. ... uh..what ? :confused: I'll think of selling something, or reaching a certain market, or helping a certain group of people, then a few days later I expand on that to include a larger market or added products, or a larger group of people. Focus here is working.

Goals: This is tricky for me. How do we really know what is a lot, or big, or really good ?

Example: About a hundred years ago I was training legs on a machine I'd never used, at a gym I'd never been to. A group of muscle heads were there and I noticed they were watching me o_O. When I finished, one approached me and said "We've never seen anyone press that much before." You see, I didn't know how much weight was a lot. I had no idea...no belief that x amount of weight was really heavy. So apparently, I crushed it.

Now I have several goals laid out but one is a bit bothersome. Should I shoot for the number I've worked out ? Or just keep banging away and see how much $ I can make. This goal is to pay for my trip to the Meetup in AZ. Failure is not an option and won't happen. But...

If I set focus on the end number, will I hit that and not a penny more ? If I just work as hard and smart as possible, will I go beyond that number ?

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
In life. In business. In happiness.

In your business, in your life and in your dreams, are you persisting or resisting? Are you observing your surroundings looking for answers, or complaining you don't have the right tools, education, or budget? Are you resolving to take action every single day, or procrastinating over and over?

And finally...

Are you happy?

I’ve read a few posts here on this forum from students in high school who were given a form to fill out asking them what their goals in life would be once they completed high school.

From what I observed, the form was designed to stuff their thinking into society’s mold with choices of what college they wanted to attend, and a pre-determined range of salary. No where on the questionnaire did I see a blank area where one could just answer what came to mind, only a group of choices already written out. That is, limited choices. Society’s choices. Anything but YOUR choices. After all, society knows what’s best for you, so don’t rock the boat.

Someone once told me, or I read somewhere where if you take a field of cattle and stick them in a field surrounded by an electric fence, they would quickly learn if they attempted to get out of the field, they would get shocked. Not enough to hurt them, just enough to scare them to prevent them from trying again.

After a while, the rancher or farmer could take down the electric fence, and the cattle would still stay inside the parameter of the field. They had been conditioned to stay within their predetermined boundary, even though a pasture of green grass could be just a few hundred yards away. A small, non-lethal, brief zap of low power electricity was all that was needed to keep them inside.

When I got laid off a few years ago, and started my own business, I kept in contact with a friend of mine I used to work with at the company we both worked at. After I had been in my own business a couple years, she also got laid off. She had worked for this company for about 25 years, and had built up the maximum amount of vacation time, and had good benefits.

She did get another job at another company for less pay, but during the time she was laid off, I went to a Barbeque at her place she was giving for some friends. While there, I had a chance to talk to her about a guy I knew who also had his own business related to repair work like I was doing. He was looking for someone to train to repair some sterilization equipment as he was busy and these repairs are time consuming.

I told her about this, but she said she couldn’t afford to give up the benefits offered by a regular company job. She had a great deal of knowledge with printer repair, and I thought she might be a perfect fit to learn to repair this type of equipment, and possible go into business for herself, but like the cows in the field, she must have thought the pain of leaving the comfort of the corporate world, wouldn’t be worth the risk. Even though that risk might have resulted in using her ability to make a better living then any corporate job may have.

This is a good example of how people get stuffed into society’s mold. You’re told you need to go to school, get married, have kids, do the 9 – 5 shuffle for 40 years, etc.

People won’t risk ridicule or let fear prevent them from becoming an entrepreneur or other ventures where low pay is the norm, and only a small percentage of people succeed. You are told by parents and society to be average. Why don’t you be responsible and get a good solid, steady job with a steady paycheck and be like the masses? That’s right.

Don’t make waves, and do as society tells you to do, avoid the ridicule and get that steady job…..join the rat race fighting traffic everyday to and from your suburban dwelling to that downtown job. Rinse, repeat, continue the cycle for 40 years.

Get home brain drained with little energy left, so you can turn on the TV and get your daily dose of mind control crap telling you need to buy that new car with hundreds of ‘easy payments’ of just $299.00 a month, max out the credit cards when they tell you, you need the latest fashions. The great new makeup products to keep you looking young! Better get her that nice diamond necklace this Valentine’s day, so she’ll keep from being bored with you!

Oh, and don’t forget, you’re over 30 and getting E.D., so you need those drugs to keep performing! You don’t have to feel less then adequate, we have the drug you need! Pain? Depression? High blood pressure from corporate? Can’t get it up? We’ll fix you right up!! Need money? Get out a pen and write down this toll free number now! Call ‘The Hawk’(vulture), and he’ll strong-arm that greedy insurance company to MAKE THEM PAY, and get the money YOU DESERVE!

Oh, and don’t forget that life insurance. After all, who’s going to pay to bury you once you’ve finished the rat race?

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
What happens when a natural disaster comes in an wipes out your plan?

Why are you focusing on something that is not only outside of your control, but such little possibility? If it's truly a large enough possibility, why don't you already have a plan?

Are you creating solutions or excuses?

Focus on what can push you forward, not on what can set you back.

How do we really know what is a lot, or big, or really good ?

You may not. And that's okay.

Once you hit your goal, then you can determine whether or not it's good enough for you. If not, adjust and keep moving forward.

You think Elon Musk started day 1 with a goal in mind to have global satellites positioned around the earth for worldwide access? C'mon.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

How should you achieve your goals? One step at a time.

This is exactly why you need short term, mid term, and long term goals, with distinct behavioral guidelines with a deadline, as well as a designated time to review and adjust when necessary.

The next set of goals you set should not be your last.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
@Yoda see, you actually get me. You have expressed what I truly mean I speak of redefining success. Would it surprise you that I have another image crafted already to reflect the conclusion you reached?

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 9.46.17 AM.png

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Why are you focusing on something that is not only outside of your control, but such little possibility? If it's truly a large enough possibility, why don't you already have a plan?

Are you creating solutions or excuses?

Focus on what can push you forward, not on what can set you back.
Thank you for that wisdom. I can tell your fairly new. I think I know how to focus. Reason I stated, what I did, is because fortunately you can have any plan in place, and it doesn't matter if it's a natural disaster, other people, change in regulations, policies, etc., you always must be prepared for that being part of the equation. I don't focus on it, just know from experience it happens. I'm not one of those people who wait anymore until you're in the middle of a storm, to carry an umbrella. Be pro-active. Preventive measures.

You should read more threads in the forum.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
you always must be prepared for that being part of the equation.

I understand your sentiment and I acknowledge this is correct.

I nearly didn't answer your original question about natural disasters because, quite honestly, my answering it wouldn't necessarily bear fruit for the point of this entire thread; however, I promised in my intro thread to do my best to add value. But since you've got the gas pedal to the metal, let's roll. I think this can create positive discourse.

Of course you have to be prepared.

Of course you can't be prepared for everything. This is what insurance should, hopefully, cover, where possible.

But simply dwelling, even for a moment, on such menial thought processes of massive and destructive derailment of your business does little more than invite doubt.

You've requested an answer to the impossible. But, let's pretend, even for a moment, we needed to enact a plan for a catastrophe such as this. What would we do?
  1. Buy insurance, where needed. Loss of life, loss of assets, loss of property, and other risks can be mitigated through means of insurance.
  2. Consider a business where it wouldn't matter. Preventing a possible loss of business due natural events, if it's a true possibility, could be mitigated by simply not allowing your business to be affected in the first place. If you live in tornado alley, be prepared for a tornado. Don't build a castle of rock on a foundation of sand.
  3. Take advantage of upsides and downsides. If such catastrophe would occur, most people will stand by idly asking for help. Instead, offer your own help and take advantage of the situation to bear fruit. If it's such a possibility, why not have a stake in a business which exists solely for the execution of help in such a time of need.
You should read more threads in the forum.

I'll do my best.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is my favorite video. I watched back in 2012 after I met one of the players. It inspired me to learn everything I could about Bear Bryant. It's the only reason I reached my goals. Knowing even if I was a 75% player and the other one was a 85% player, the difference between me an that player was I knew their weakness. Perhaps they thought they knew mine. Another difference, I was a life long learner, willing to go the extra mile. And being mentally tough and focused was they key ingredient to reach any goal. I didn't focus on a plan. I just took action and moved.

I watched the junction boys, the goal was to make the team. Bear Bryant basically put them through hell to figure out who would quit and give up. The reason being, he didn't want a player walking off the field during half time. He wanted a player that reached the end zone. And on the football field just like real life. your goal is always to make it to the end zone, but you will be tackled, and thrown around mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and sometimes physically.

My focus isn't ever on the outcome, but focus and mentality is the only thing that will guarantee you will reach your goals and the end zone. While that 85% person thinks he's great, already there, boosting his ego, there is a point they're so soaked into that thought and presence, the 75% player like me will come along and play better. I keep this in mind all the time.

I used to have a vision, plan, and expectations of how things were supposed to happen. Rarely did they ever happen the way I pictured it. I think at a certain point I learned just learn, move, take action, and execute. I guess it's just my way of visualizing it. I learn as I go, because a plan isn't always going to be a straight line. It has it's twists, turns, and obstacles. I adapt, adjust, and move forward. Some people like to write all that plan stuff out, and have it all detailed, organized, structured, and to the point.

And some how it seems like yes, I can apply some of these things and be more effective. The thing is when you plan it to much and get stuck in this box. And the creativity dies down and you get stuck, because your plan is just stale and locks you in one place.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
@Mattie First of all, great post. I'm always one to champion the underling.

Who doesn't love an underdog?

It's the only reason I reached my goals.

But this is false. You learning from him was not the sole reason you achieved a goal. It's actually because you took action. Bear Bryant may have provided guidance, but if you achieved a goal, it's because YOU did it, not HIM. You are the success of the equation:

Bear Bryant Guidance + Mattie Action = Win.​

The most educated person in the world, without action, is simply educated.

The thing is, when you plan it too much and get stuck in this box.

And I couldn't agree more.

After reading your post more than once, I think I finally arrived at the bridge between us, and I think we can meet in the middle.

When you read this line:

In this way, you can never lose. You may not have achieved your goal, but you can learn from your failure to plan.

I gather you thought I meant the failure to HAVE a plan. When, in fact, it was the plan itself which didn't achieve the goal because it's design was faulty.

If I told someone to make a million dollars next year and they designed a plan to make $1,000 a day, and they SUCCEEDED in working their plan, they would still fail to achieve the goal of making a million dollars. Therefore, the plan itself was the fault.

This is why I stress the importance of designing a process or system that is congruent with the end goal, and focusing on succeeding to effect the plan exactly.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I have little kids too...they teach me something every day.

I’ve read a few posts here on this forum from students in high school who were given a form to fill out asking them what their goals in life would be once they completed high school.

From what I observed, the form was designed to stuff their thinking into society’s mold with choices of what college they wanted to attend, and a pre-determined range of salary. No where on the questionnaire did I see a blank area where one could just answer what came to mind, only a group of choices already written out. That is, limited choices. Society’s choices. Anything but YOUR choices. After all, society knows what’s best for you, so don’t rock the boat....

I don't think it's as intentional as all of that. It's just how the person writing the form thinks.

The schools were intentionally set up as a way to condition us to be good factory workers or soldiers, but I don't think the people teaching today even realize exactly why they're doing what they're doing.

Last edited:

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I've been reading a lot of Gold threads recently and have noticed quite a lot of trends and commonalities that are apparent in most of them. Among them:
  • Take Action.
  • Mind Over Matter.
  • Time Is Our Most Precious Gift.
  • All In.
  • Mentor And Be Mentored.
But there's been a subtle comment I've seen more than once that strikes a cord with me which isn't always the main focus.

Process versus Event
Most of us are always chasing something. A revenue goal, a destination for new residence, a shiny new object... something tangible we've always wanted. I'm in the same boat.

There's been a lot of phenomenal praise for major milestones, as there should be, and I love to see anyone report of a success, a goal achieved, and a new level hit. Never stop being a champion for success, both for yourself and others!

But, I felt myself getting mixed feelings. Mostly, I felt happiness.

But, I'm human. I also felt a smidgen of jealousy, a bit of guilt here and there, and touch of anger in one particular thread.

Is it bad I feel those emotions? No, not at all. We need to pay attention to our feelings, because those provide feedback. Feedback, when used constructively, can help guide us to where we want to go. Having the recognition allowed me to take a serious look at my emotions and their origins.

Let's remember:

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering."
I've been working on my systems and processes for a while now, and I'm always looking to improve. I'm huge fan of working a plan, simplifying the plan, creating processes, systems and standard operating procedures, delegating the repeatable minutiae, and going back through the phases once again. This is how I see my progress, and this is how I rate my own success since we can't always determine the outcome.

It has served me well to focus on these, and continues to do so.

But feeling these emotions made me realize something extremely important...

I wasn't celebrating the process enough.

It may have been @Vigilante who said, "It's not about the Event, but the Process." For where I'm currently at in my own journey, several years in, I think I've begun to value the importance of the process and I understand it's power of progress. This I am positive of.

However, I think my feelings of jealousy, guilt and anger, as small as they may be, are all stemming from the same place.

I (We) need to celebrate the process.

Because I think this is extremely important, I'm actually going to stop my work flow and make this happen right now. I can absolutely celebrate these things in this moment, and I am grateful for them:
  • I have my health, and I am working on improving it.
  • I have a beautiful family, and I am working to strengthen those bonds every day.
  • I am my own boss, and I am working to better myself personally and professionally.
  • I run my own business, and I am working to build something for me, not someone else.
  • I am fortunate to be an autodidact, and I am working at building invaluable skills which I have chosen.
  • I am taking action daily, and I am working to build fantastic relationships which are mutually beneficial.
Let's run these from a different perspective.
  • I'm enjoying the process of bettering my health. I feel better today than I did a month ago.
  • I'm enjoying the process of strengthening the bonds with my family. My family ties are growing by leaps and bounds.
  • I'm enjoying the process of being my own boss. I have absolutely already tapped into potential I wasn't utilizing, and I can clearly see I have more to offer!
  • I'm enjoying the process of owning a business. I have great clarity and confidence in knowing I control my destiny.
  • I'm enjoying the process of learning. I love to read, when I used to hate it. That's clear progress.
  • I'm enjoying the process of taking action. I can feel the difference in my happiness when I produce value in a day.
Shouldn't we all take a step back and reflect how great we have it? How lucky we are to know there is something better? How lucky we are to have the opportunity to enjoy our day today because we control how our day will go?

I think so.

I challenge you to celebrate your process. How far have you come?

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
You HAVE to celebrate the process. Otherwise you will go INSANE.

The issue is that we see so much happiness that we will have once we reach goal X.

But it can take so long to get there, and be so freakin' lonely at the same time. Without celebrating the process, I would be depressed by the time I reach the destination.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
When Trooper goes to school, he's going to be taught to follow a predetermined system, and that you need to "fit in." Just like the blocks, they'll try to tell him a square needs to go in a square, and a triangle needs to fit in a square.

However he's already internalized that the world can be approached in different creative ways. He's going to be way ahead of his peers.

Good on you for recognizing and encouraging his creativity.

By the way, I read all your posts in Yoda's voice.

Also, I don't think it's an accident that on this thread, there was an ad for light-sabres.

WriteItDown

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Nov 23, 2015
Not to be a party pooper or anything, but I will say I agree to this to an extent. Focus and attitude are a huge factor in success and happiness, absolutely. But there are certain struggles people face that cannot be overcome simply by being focused and having a good attitude. I'm extremely focused on trying to sort out some health issues, but my focus isn't helping any. I realize this is different than achieving success in business and so is probably not overly applicable, but you included "life and happiness" and not just business here. So I would love to know your take on how being more focused could help me sort out this life and happiness problem.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Let's break down your reply @WriteItDown.

Not to be a party pooper or anything

Excusing yourself of dialogue from the get go shows me you have no conviction in your response.

But there are certain struggles people face that cannot be overcome simply by being focused and having a good attitude.

An excuse. Yes, a terminal illness may not be able to be resolved, but I find there's likely few other things which a person cannot overcome.

I'm extremely focused on trying to sort out some health issues, but my focus isn't helping any.

"...but my focus isn't helping any." is negative. Spin it around. What has your focus help you change so far?

I realize this is different than achieving success in business and so is probably not overly applicable, but you included "life and happiness" and not just business here.

You acknowledge the possibility of a non-relationship but want resolution anyway.

So I would love to know your take on how being more focused could help me sort out this life and happiness problem.

You want me to solve your problem, when you need to solve your own problem.

I'm not trying to criticize your post, because there actually could be merit there (a plan is nothing without action, and same goes with focus), however it seems your vision is focused on poking holes and not so much focused on finding an answer.

The reason successful entrepreneurs are successful is because they solve problems.

Tim0thy_D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Nov 5, 2015
One thing to keep in mind:

Perception = Reality

And if you don't believe me then watch this. Real applications to this video

Brian E.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2015
Perspective is necessary. One would think that his goal was to stuff the blocks in a box. Apparently not! Apparently, his goal was to own the blocks, because he liked them, by carrying them into his space. Originally, the plan was to stuff them into the box in order to relocate them. But when this didn't work easily, another solution emerged - an easier, more natural, more easily achieved solution.

So, in my own life - how can I skip step one, which is being offered to my by conventional wisdom, and go straight to step 2...?

Brilliant!
To this, I say the quote by Donald Trump...Skip the middle man, and go straight to the guy at the top. I recently found a potential mentor, and so I decided to contact him directly. I asked him directly to mentor me. Now I need to cal him and speak with him. It is my intention to ask him questions, and to learn from him, as I too, am an entrepreneur.

Also, at Yoda, I am also a Jedi in real life. I apply the teachings from that, as well as Shamanism, and other spiritual principles to my life. I feel that the Universe has already given us what we want, we just need to show that we truly desire it with passion. It's already there...in a parallel diminsion, we are already there. This helps me to remind myself that as I watch my child, though he frequently does things which should not be, he also does things which I now am going to watch more of. Maybe inspiration from him? Life is truly worth living.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Time flies!

Trooper is such a big boy now. Everyone loves to talk about how well he can speak, and how much he has improved in such a short amount of time. He knows all his numbers, 0-9. He knows his letters. His age, birthday, address, phone number, and every single name of every single family member.

But all of this pales in comparison to how much Trooper adores his big brother. His wonder is unlimited. He loves to watch, emulate, and even try to outdo big brother, who we'll call Hunter.

And today, Hunter had his own big realization, one which I hope will cement and manifest itself into something much larger and prominent for his own life.
-----
I have the pleasure of waking Hunter up for school, making him breakfast, and getting him to school.

When I was waking him up today, I asked, "What's it feel like to be going to school the very last time before Summer starts? You excited?"

"I guess. I have to go pee."

Much excitement from this graduating Kindergartner...

"By lunch time today, you'll be home with us for months, and there's no more school until the Fall."

"Dad, I have to pee."
-----
So we're in the living room, he's finishing breakfast and watching Transformers, and I'm reading a book. We both enjoy our solitude in the morning, and even our drives to school are quiet sometimes, without radio or conversation (but let's be honest, we hoot and holler Smash Mouth from time to time, as well; imagine seeing our car in the drop-off lane).

He breaks away from the tube for a minute, and says, "Summer isn't really here yet. That's not today."

"Yeah, well, Summer, in this sense, means no more school. It's Summer break. It's a break from school, at least until you start first grade next Fall." I answered.

"So, like, I can stay with you guys for 7 days, and school is no days?"

"Exactly!"

"Hmph. That sounds good."
-----
It's his first summer, he'll understand.

See, he likely doesn't remember Summer break like most of us. Waking up whenever, eating when we feel like, and not on a bell, and recess is every day, with not a single bit of homework. All play, no work.

No more trading five for two. It's seven every seven. Freedom.

No bills. No stress. No worries.

A totally free Summer, minus the vacations we have planned, and the days we know we'll be at the water park. After all, he's continuously reminded us he's now tall enough for the biggest ride.
-----
But just as much as he'll realize how awesome he's about to have it, it taught me something, too.

He really does enjoy school.

He loves his friends.

He loves his routine.

He's so comfortable in knowing his expectations will largely be met, every single day, without fail.

I mean, I guess there's the bumps in the road where he got in a fight with a bigger kid, got in trouble for having too much energy in PE, and lost his mind over what he was going to write for his four girlfriend's Valentine's day cards. But other than that...

His reality was, on paper, a nine to five job. But he was happy. He went to learn, to build relationships, and challenge himself to learn and grow as a bright and energized six year old.
-----
What if we met the daily process the same way?

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Hunter might be living the 9-5 in essence, but he's also living the Unscripted life. He's spending time doing what he wants and is thriving knowing each day he's going to be pushed further than the day before because that's how you grow.

Moral of the story.

Be more Hunter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.