The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your biggest mental struggle?

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
For those who are concerned about FOCUS, what would that focus do for you? What exactly do you mean? ADD? Zoning out? Procrastinating?

I have a somewhat hyperactive mind, as a right brain person I tend to see the big picture and be somewhat impetuous so even when I set out to do something my brain quickly wanders and despite knowing I should stick to my plan 90% of the time I don't do so...

Like water I tend to follow the path of least [mental] resistance so despite my intentions to study integration or find suppliers for a product I've dreamed up I'll find myself navigating to business websites, entertainment websites or daydreaming of my idea magically transformed into a global brand with nine figure sales :D

With more focus I definitely feel I'd achieve closer to 90% of what I plan to do achieve and be more satisfied with the outcome, I've been contemplating trying adderall but have steered away due to its addictiveness but I'm looking into other legal and safer cognitive supplements to see what they can do for me...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Like water I tend to follow the path of least [mental] resistance so despite my intentions to study integration or find suppliers for a product I've dreamed up I'll find myself navigating to business websites, entertainment websites or daydreaming of my idea magically transformed into a global brand with nine figure sales :D

This feels strangely familiar!!! :coolgleamA: I just keep coming up with ideas and visions...they distract me from actions :p

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
With more focus I definitely feel I'd achieve closer to 90% of what I plan to do achieve and be more satisfied with the outcome, I've been contemplating trying adderall but have steered away due to its addictiveness but I'm looking into other legal and safer cognitive supplements to see what they can do for me...

Do you really think drugs are the solution to this? Why not have a system of training yourself to focus once more...?

Tim Ferris wrote about this on his blog at one point - Marijuana Trumps Blackberries for Productivity

Maybe I'm seeing a pattern around people and focus. We are too overstimulated and have forgot HOW to focus...

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Maybe I'm seeing a pattern around people and focus. We are too overstimulated and have forgot HOW to focus...

Not sure most people learn that (I haven't learned that in school for sure... and I do notice tat most people don't really know how to focus either..and they don't always want to be focused on something either..it's not the easy way out...)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
1. What has been your biggest mental struggle? (current or past)

I struggle with staying on task lately because I want to play. I want to play strategic, mental games or race cars. Just want to do something that takes my mind off the grind for a while.

2. If you see yourself as "successful" right now, in a sentence, what made you successful?

I have made some goals and achieved those goals. Driven determination and problem solving made it all possible.

3. If you don't see yourself as "successful" right now, what do you think it is that will make you successful? What are you missing?

I'm successful in some ways and have a long ways to go in other ways. I am not sure I can put a name on what I am missing. I think it's a growing thing. I don't know what I don't know but I will find out when it's time.

4. What has been the biggest pain factor in your life? (current or past)

Not being in control of things I want to control. I would like to help people when I want to and be able to fly around the world when I need a break.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Do you really think drugs are the solution to this? Why not have a system of training yourself to focus once more...?

No, drugs (legal and illegal) are not the answer. I think the best way to focus is to write down your plan in WRITING and follow it precisely. Get rid of all distractions and use your time wisely.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Tim Ferris wrote about this on his blog at one point - Marijuana Trumps Blackberries for Productivity

I think thats why a lot of of kids are getting addicted to adderall these days, college is so overstimulating its the only thing that will chemically force their bodys to calm down and focus, and the productivity that somes from it is hard to acheive mentally if you dont train your brain. quick solutions.

Same thing with people "think" they are bi-polar or have some other mental desease. first off they typically have no idea what that means to have a chemical imbalance but most folks i see dont need a doctor or "happy pills". It is just the quicker easier solution that everyone in life is looking for.

the problem then becomes dependance. in essence they are making their brains passengers of a normal life, instead of drivers. What happens when the drug supply shuts out....?

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
1. What has been your biggest mental struggle? (current or past)

I realized recently that my biggest struggle is that I have a natural tendency to take the path of least resistance, avoid conflict, and let others talk me into their way of doing things. Once I realized this about myself I have been working hard to recognize this reaction when it happens and stand firm on what I want and not back down when things get tough. It takes effort, and it leads into some fear territory, but it is making me happier and taking away the "out" of blaming others if things don't go the way I want. It makes me more responsible for myself and is very empowering.

2. If you see yourself as "successful" right now, in a sentence, what made you successful?

Back when I bought into the whole "slowlane" way of thinking, I thought of myself as very successful. Now that I've changed to a fastlane mentality, I am starting over at square one. But I know I have what it takes to be successful, it is just a matter of creating a new plan and making it happen. I know I will be successful because of my own determination, and the fact that now I realize I don't have to do everything myself - I can build a team and draw upon resources from many areas in order to achieve things I couldn't do alone.

3. If you don't see yourself as "successful" right now, what do you think it is that will make you successful? What are you missing?

Staying focused and not letting myself get lazy.

Building a strong team. Which for an introvert like me is a challenge, but the stakes are high so it's well worth the stretching it will require. And I'll become a stronger person in the process.

Do. Experience. Learn. Repeat indefinitely.

4. What has been the biggest pain factor in your life? (current or past)

For the most part I have had a very blessed life, which I am grateful for. In the past my biggest pain factor was not having other people in my life who understood me and that I could relate to. Currently my biggest pain factor has stemmed from me giving too much control over to others, being too passive.

About the issue of focus:

I think everyone's mind wanders because that is how our brain is wired. Having your mind wander is not a bad thing - that's where a lot of creative ideas come from. They key is being able to refocus yourself. This happens to me frequently throughout the day. My mind will wander, I'll think of something interesting I want to pursue, then realize it is not what I need to be focusing on now. But before I go back to what I was supposed to be doing, I jot down a note to myself so I can come back to that idea later. That way I can keep the fruits of my creative mind without losing too much momentum in my work. I think another key is to delegate or get rid of tasks that are uninteresting and/or don't fit your skills, at least as much as possible. It's really hard to focus when you're not challenged.

Thanks KungFuSteve for the interesting thread! Rep+

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.