The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Young and wanting to escape the norm

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Hi I'm Matt and recently graduated high school and and have had a descent paying slowlaner job. For my age I make ok money as everyone else sees but I am not one to settle for less. I realize that this road will never bring me where I want to be financially. I agree with mj as your time is most important and it should be spent doing things that make you happy. Going to work for 8 hours a day with a 5:2 ratio does not make me happy. I hope this job will provide me with the funding i need to invest in a business that will take me far beyond normal.

I hope this forum inspires me due to being exposed to like minded individuals. It seems everyone around me thinks the slowlane is truly the best and only way to live life. They accept the fact that this way of thinking is correct, and they will never have the fortunes of others. The way I see it we all have opportunity, its just those who grabbed it by the horns are the only ones who have succeeded beyond average.

I made the first step of reading The Millionaire Fastlane and think i have learned some valuable information in it. I am reading more literature on the subject as I want to increase my chances of success as much as possible.

I guess you could call me an "inside the box" thinker. I think this is making it a bit more difficult for me to find a market that is not already over-saturated. I am not making an excuse for failure though. I just need to tune my mind into thinking like a producer rather than a consumer which I have trying everywhere I go.

Well if anyone actually reads this, thanks for your time. I hope to have a good learning experience at these forums and hopefully what most people think is crazy you guys and gals will understand more because you have the same desire.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum! You'll learn a lot here and maybe even get some tough love when it comes to ideas, and strategies, but that's good.

PS: Ever notice how all the perfectly normal and simple thinking people don't accomplish a whole lot? It's the "crazy" people who make it big. I'll take being crazy and wealthy over normal and poor any day of the week.

Again, welcome :)

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Exactly. Like it has been said before, people with normal thinking are never more than average. You cant live an above average lifestyle with average thinking and effort.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Matt and thanks for posting an intro. :tiphat:

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Well I thought I would post a bit of an update as I could use some advice.

In the previous month or so I have read the books The Millionaire Fastlane , Rich Dad Poor Dad, What the Rich Know and Desperately Want to keep secret and have lurked around the forums quite a bit. I have learned alot more than I knew about business such as the importance of passivity in your business, scale, how customers can make your rich, that you must start a business based on marketplace needs rather than your own selfish desires if you ever wish to acquire wealth and much more. I plan to purchase more literature and continue reading all I can on the web.

I have been saving money for a while now and work a regular day job but in order to make extra money on the side I have been buying and selling things that I know about. I made over 100% returns on my initial investments in a month of selling. Not an enormous amount of money but a few hundred more than I started with. I have also started trying to teach myself coding and programming. I think it may be a valuable still to learn as I am young and the internet is still growing and gives me the power to market anything to millions of potential customers.

Here is where I currently stand. I reread The Millionaire Fastlane and am still working the day job, selling on the side and working with codeacademy to learn coding basics. The dayjob makes me unhappy and I would like to escape it. I'd rather work hard on a project beneficial to me and watch it grow than to do the same thing over and over for the majority of my life with only a mediocre end result with a limited number of years to even enjoy what you work your whole life for. I am having trouble finding a need in the marketplace that complies to the five commandments and is not an oversaturated marketplace. I guess I would say I am an inside the box thinker and ideas that I can vision having potential are not coming to me. I try to tune into people's complaints and such but I still don't have an idea I'm prepared to pursue.

Any advice for me? I am selling online so I'm getting some experience with shipping and customer service etc but I understand this is not fastlane. I am curious as to weather I should just start a smaller business similar to others already out there just for the experience of running a business or wait until I have an idea to passionately pursue. I hear many successful entepreneurs says that ideas to come to them all the time because they are tuned into looking for them. I am trying and am not too successful so far. I know that its in the execution where the money is made but If I believe in an idea I think it will help me work harder on making it real.

Any feedback welcomed, if it helps then its worth hearing.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Just recognizing where you want to go as your topic implies puts you way ahead of the game. Further, within the subset of those with goals, you're already taking action which puts you ahead of the game there as well. You may not feel that progress is being made but it is, because you have vision and are already taking action. You are on the right path.

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
One obstacle you will have to overcome is the Status Quo. Everyone around you will tell you your decisions are wrong, and your making a mistake (as if that is a bad thing)

I found when I started my own business at the age of 27 people around me didn't understand why I would leave job security. You need to find likeminded people to socialize with, sometimes you feel alone as a crazy person as you mentioned. I think this forum will be a great resource

when I was looking for support in buying out my competition. we naturally want the support of loved ones but I found that its better to just leave them out of the loop and go after your dreams.

My Father is a hard working government employee, labourer welder fabricator with a good pension heading his way, however after 25 years in the government, makes 50K a year and has no desire, to travel, go on vacation, and is happy with his future pension and security. as a slowlaner he's succeeding. He can't retire until his house is paid for even though he will make more money in retirement doing side jobs.

When I talked to my father in law, a successful retired slowlaner, to get his support (possibly even financial) in buying some competition to boost my own business sales. I told him my business has great Gross Profit Margin however I needed more sales to become profitable and after 2 years of earning no income, I needed to do this to turn the company around. He asked why I didn't just go back to work as a tradesman making 60K a year. Talking as if my business is failing.
I had to convince him that staying as employee will only allow me 60K a year, and my business has potential to earn 300K+ with less time invested

have a look at Ryandrake's Guide to hustling selling online

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...9-hustlers-guide-buying-selling-anything.html

Last edited by a moderator:

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
This forum is the closest I have come to actually socializing with similar minded individuals. In person I have yet to find anyone with same beliefs as mine in this area. Like you said, staying an employee guarantees a salary but I want more potential than that. I job can never explode your income like a business can.

I am trying to take action but feel it is not enough sometimes.

M.MacGregor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 24, 2012
I cant agree with you more matt, im at the point right now where all my friends are deciding what they want in life and what they will do, and i have never felt more out of place. For my friends that are going into apprenticeship in the trades i cant help but feel bad for them. Feel bad for them is the wrong choice of words i guess but i just dont get it.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't posted in quite a while but figured id post an update. Had a bit of a fall out but am now hopefully here to stay. My internet sales started to dry up. While I was still moving products the profit was so small at the end of the month it was not worth my time. I still however sell casually on ebay but not as much for a business or funding. I will need to try a new niche if I do because the last one dried up after the holidays.

Made some materialistic purchases that set me back quite a bit as far as funding goes but they were things i've wanted my whole life so I'm not complaining. Ya I know all good things are worth waiting for and with an entrepreneurial mindset maybe I should have waited. If the time ever comes however where I need business finding I know I can get my money back reselling them.

I need to take greater action, I've just been thinking, planning, thinking and haven't really stepped of first base yet. You cant steal second without stepping off first. Ive sold quite a bit on ebay and a few things on craigslist but thats all the marketing experience I have.

I still have passionate views about business and fastlane and still defend my beliefs to slowlaners. I recently had a talk with someone who thought 55 was quite an early retirement. :smx8:

I'm hoping to...wait I mean I am GOING TO take the next steps to enter a path to financial freedom. The waste of life that is derived from a 9-5 isn't going to take me hostage!

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Well I thought I would post a bit of an update as I could use some advice.

In the previous month or so I have read the books The Millionaire Fastlane , Rich Dad Poor Dad, What the Rich Know and Desperately Want to keep secret and have lurked around the forums quite a bit. I have learned alot more than I knew about business such as the importance of passivity in your business, scale, how customers can make your rich, that you must start a business based on marketplace needs rather than your own selfish desires if you ever wish to acquire wealth and much more. I plan to purchase more literature and continue reading all I can on the web.

I have been saving money for a while now and work a regular day job but in order to make extra money on the side I have been buying and selling things that I know about. I made over 100% returns on my initial investments in a month of selling. Not an enormous amount of money but a few hundred more than I started with. I have also started trying to teach myself coding and programming. I think it may be a valuable still to learn as I am young and the internet is still growing and gives me the power to market anything to millions of potential customers.

Here is where I currently stand. I reread The Millionaire Fastlane and am still working the day job, selling on the side and working with codeacademy to learn coding basics. The dayjob makes me unhappy and I would like to escape it. I'd rather work hard on a project beneficial to me and watch it grow than to do the same thing over and over for the majority of my life with only a mediocre end result with a limited number of years to even enjoy what you work your whole life for. I am having trouble finding a need in the marketplace that complies to the five commandments and is not an oversaturated marketplace. I guess I would say I am an inside the box thinker and ideas that I can vision having potential are not coming to me. I try to tune into people's complaints and such but I still don't have an idea I'm prepared to pursue.

Any advice for me? I am selling online so I'm getting some experience with shipping and customer service etc but I understand this is not fastlane. I am curious as to weather I should just start a smaller business similar to others already out there just for the experience of running a business or wait until I have an idea to passionately pursue. I hear many successful entepreneurs says that ideas to come to them all the time because they are tuned into looking for them. I am trying and am not too successful so far. I know that its in the execution where the money is made but If I believe in an idea I think it will help me work harder on making it real.

Any feedback welcomed, if it helps then its worth hearing.

Here's my advice to you. You have read as many books as you need to for the time being. Figure out a need in the market place, and just get started working on it. If it's an app or whatever, learn as you go, solving each problem as it arises. Reading 50 programming books will not get you any further than you are. Similarly, most of the self help financial books like "What the rich know and desperately want to keep secret" regurgitate the same BS over and over again, in a different way.

Just DO, and learn from your mistakes. You will be so much happier that you did.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Yes, i know. I have been opening my eyes and ears looking for needs in the marketplace. I'm not passionate enough about any of my ideas to start the process though. Some are already being well executed. Ya I know i probably sound like a wantrepreneur. I have the desire but am so far lacking the action taking.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Conditioning yourself to look for needs in the marketplace is probably one of the biggest paradigm shifts in the entire process. You're, as MJ says, switching from 'team consumer' to 'team producer'. You are going against everything you've been taught.

This part is one of the only things in entrepreneurship that is easier for younger people than older people.

So, to practice, I suggest you take a day off and go out for the entire day. Do things you like doing, and maybe a thing or two you haven't done before. Just don't go to work and don't stay home. Take someone with you, like your mother, or a date, or your kids if you have em.

Eventually, something is going to piss you off. Or, it's going to piss off the person you are out with. Or, you're going to hear a complaint. When you hear these complaints, figure out what they are complaining about and then brainstorm ways to make it so they no longer have to complain.

After doing this a few times, you'll notice little flaws in everything and you'll think about how to fix those flaws. Soon, you'll understand that pretty much everything that is WRONG in the world can be turned into a Fastlane opportunity.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not passionate enough about any of my ideas to start the process though. Some are already being well executed. Ya I know i probably sound like a wantrepreneur. I have the desire but am so far lacking the action taking.

I understand. You need to fix that though, fast. You need to be passionate about serving others and solving their problems, it is after all about their needs and not about you or your passion. The best way to learn that lesson is to get out there and "do", once the market whoops your a$$ a few times for forgetting that it is all about them, you'll learn and it will get much easier.

Sue

mdlevy2004

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 4, 2012
Hey Matt,
I am new at everything as well. I have to agree with some of the other posts that are on here. It really digging into what you see is a need out there. Being a master in a particular niche market is the goal here. Continuous reading and writing will go a long way as well as networking. You are going to do great things Matt. Keep up the great work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...