The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You think about money too much!!

Anything related to matters of the mind

jcpoolgod

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 10, 2013
Me and my buddy were life talking after shooting some pool the other night. Ive always been more entrepreneurial (however thats spelled). I have ideas.Ive read countless money books as well self help type books. Ive tried a few home business ideas. Drop shipping. sales. Ive put thousands of dollars into trading accounts, mutual funds, IRA's, and savings accounts. Ive went to real estate seminars( 1 where i drove 4 hours and slept in the car for 3 days to learn. My check for the seminar almost didn't even clear).

------But all this in the name of learning more about money. Ive looked into all these topics--Tax leans, options, futures, (not too much about stocks), internet marketing, blackjack books, texas holdem, credit card scams, credit building, interest only loans, bond latter, RIO, calls, puts, inventions, adsense, youtube, buying physical silver, 401ks for work, duplexes, excel spreadsheets, playing pool for money, posters tracking expenses and income, budget books, fungshuai, and various other topics,,,,

All to learn more about money, My other buddy said to me what he wants out of life. "Just enough money to get by and be happy".... and my reply was" why not have a shitload of money and live how you want to....eat out when you want, go where you want....There are people who really live like that. Its a real thing"

My goals in life are exactly that. "to have a shitload of money and just live"...my question is why is this such a bad plan?idea? my same friend who says i think about money too much buys lottery tickets every week(he's even in a pool for his work) he talks about his retirement for work( 40 years from now or whatever) he's always working on getting a higher paying job. and tells me all his "if i won the lottery I would...." stories....it seems we both "THINK OF MONEY TOO MUCH"...its just that we think of how to get said money differently.....I understand that money can come from different places non of which are a pay roll.

I don't think its the money that drives me...but the freedom...I just want to see everything i said i could do come to fruition. you can have your secure job....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Sometimes you have people that you want in your life that don't share the same fundamental ideas about money with you. Maybe they're close friends, maybe they're family.

I've found just shutting up about money is the best course of action. Maybe give input if you are directly asked to contribute something to the conversation. But for the most part just nod along. "Wouldn't be nice to win the lottery?" Just smile and nod. It's just easier to agree and move on to a more comfortable topic.

Why waste your energy trying to explain something to someone who has no interest in hearing it?

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
As I have gained knowledge overtime , I began edging on taking a condescending view on opinions that didn't match my ideals. Shortly after reading MJ's book , my views became superior and everyone else's was either stupid or slowlane (I have since reevaluated my stance).

Even started to question , If I too was always like this?

The further I questioned myself , the more frustrated I got because there weren't many people who could relate.

Could it be that the cause of your frustration is because person/s in your social circle don't agree with your views so you can't verify your ideal belief in an opinion?

Which is a feeling we all covet whether we admit it or not.

why do you think in the old days men in the pursuit of knowledge flocked to groups where they were free to agree , debate and rebut each other?
school-of-athens-14-638.jpg

But you know there are times it IS best to keep your "unpopular" opinions to yourself rather than attempting to get someone to agree with you who probably never will anyways and some will even see you as a dbag or some sort of supremacist :eek:.

Like I personally believe most churches are rubbish but do believe in a god , try saying this in the middle of service to a group of die hard christians:jawdrop: . Prepare for an exorcism lol

The 'I know something you don't" feeling is a nice feeling and you often want to test it out on unsuspecting persons around you but don't let your new found knowledge or better yet insight ruin your treasured relationships.

Although some perceived negative ones need to be reevaluated ,There are times I read where persons come on the forum ready to dismiss family , parents, friends even spouses because they arent fastlane.
53223550.jpg

Sometimes you have to ask yourself; Has this relationship become negative because of how it affects me or is it because of how I have changed?

I have friends who drink , party and close down clubs, which is a positive when I want to party and let off some steam but a very big negative when I am trying to get work done and they want to go get wasted..

One of the key principles of having that fastlane mindset I honeslty believe is knowing how to manage your relationships and categorize them based on interests both personal and business wise.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
You start saying that you hoard knowledge on money, and are surprised that people think you are obsessed?

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 18, 2014
But you know there are times it IS best to keep your "unpopular" opinions to yourself rather than attempting to get someone to agree with you who probably never will anyways and some will even see you as a dbag or some sort of supremacist

Very true. When you have not-so-mainstream ideas - especially on topics people are sensitive about (i.e. money, religion, etc) - it's probably best to keep it to yourself and then spend the time/energy/effort in practicing your ideals. Maybe they'll come around once you're a living example of what such a lifestyle looks like :)

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
To minimize irritation:

1) Stop trying to impose your dreams on people.
2) Avoid discussing: Religion, Politics, Social Standards and Money to save yourself headaches

And bonus, off topic observation:

I didn't see you mention value to customers once in that text. Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps you're on the wrong train. Value precedes money, learning about money and ignoring value to others is cart before the horse. AGAIN, I COULD BE WRONG AND YOU KNOW THIS.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Get off the money idea. Just think of problems to solve. Join a few groups like secret entourage or any group that shares your ideas. Like the fastlane. There you can take your ideas to people who feel and think the same way. I learned that my parents do not see what I am doing as viable and all rich people are assholes who got lucky. So take the convo somewhere else. Not everyone will agree with you. Don't go randomly bringing this kinda stuff up with people you haven't felt out. Remember we are still the outsiders and outcasts to most social norms. AND when you do become successful, or at least start taking minute changes towards your lifestyle. This dude will not want to see you succeed. He will probably resent you for it. Misery loves company.

jcpoolgod

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 10, 2013
You start saying that you hoard knowledge on money, and are surprised that people think you are obsessed?

its not that I'm obsessed, I'm just "as obsessed" as they are...they just talk about different(boring) ways to get the same money

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha! Well I don't think about the money. In my circumstances all I heard about was money money money from everyone around me before I came to the Netherlands. I was so sick of hearing about not enough money. It's been nice to learn about Entrepreneurship and learn about money, but my thoughts always need to be focused on taking action. So if I'm thinking about the money, I'm not doing anything to make the money.

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
I actually came into this thread expecting a rant on how you need to shift away from thinking of money and selfish desires and shift towards adding value to people's lives. Same concept nonetheless. I don't think there's ever a reason to stop increasing the level of value you can offer to the world around you.

Like your friend, I tend to have somewhat reasonable desires for my lifestyle. But The Fastlane isn't about money in the way most people think of it. Most people when they think money think McMansion, brand new Porsche, first class plane tickets, tropical vacations. Whereas it's really about freedom.

If you have a middle class lifestyle and make 50k a year you're always going to be making mortgage payments, waking up at the crack of dawn to hit rush hour traffic, and sucking up to your boss for fear of losing your job. You'll probably live like a miser and save every penny you can.

Or you could choose to strive for 500k a year living the same lifestyle, and enjoy the degree of freedom that comes with it. Just because you contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars of value to your community yearly, doesn't mean you have to spend like you do.

Maybe this is how you'd explain it to your friend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.