The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You on the Internet

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I try to be careful with my personal information on the internet. I signed up for the do not call list and removed myself from catalog mailings. I do participate in social networking but I try to keep my privacy settings high.

I just heard about this social media aggregator called spokeo.com that pulls information about you from a variety of different sources. It then posts much of that informaion for free and further information is available for a fee. I do not want people knowing who lives in my household or what hobbies I enjoy! You can remove yourself by clicking on Privacy on the lower right hand section of the page.

Am I the only paranoid one here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Frankly most of this information is readily available for anyone who truly wants it. Surely, becoming active in "social media" things could make it a bit easier, but someone wants it they will find it anyways.

So, yes, I think you're a bit paranoid. On the note, what you've mentioned opting out of isn't too big of a deal. Some can be beneficial for building a brand, but also can be HUGE time wasters. haha

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
I can't speak for everyone but as for me that is flippin crazy! I don't like filling out my security clearance and it processed by the department of defense.I don't like it for all the info that I have to provide for it, and any of it ever got leaked out it would jepordize the information of those closest to me as well. As for your site I'm of the opinion that my likes and dislikes are mine and if I wanted people to know about them I'd send out flyers or something.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I know all of this is public information but I prefer to control the information that is readily available about me.

I have to say, from a stalking perspective, it has a lot of information. I can see what music you like, what you last ordered on amazon, any blogs you have posted to, and etc. Before I had to dig for that information and connect the dots, now it's in one convenient place.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I would have to agree with Golden Eggs. I limit how much info I place on social networking site. Sure you can meet some great people online. but then there are others who can take free informaion you post online and that cuts down the time they need to conduct a scam on you based on information you freely post. Sure some information can be found but you make it that much easier for someone when you post your name, birthdate, address, etc.

Tom

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Meh, I just plugged myself into that sight. It has my address and phone number, really nothing that you can't get in the phone book or through public information.

All the personal information it has on me is wrong.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
yup, Spokeo's think is very spooky.... amazing how much info is collected/aggregated there...

Look for yourself, use your email addresses and then go to those places and change the privacy settings (Amazon, for example, was kind of tricky if I recall correctly).

I know a few of my friends actually subscribe to the service. That means they could see a lot of stuff of what I do with that email address.

One way to control this is to use a weird, different screen name and a different email address just for those things you don't want your real-life 'friends' to know/see.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Haha, what's interesting is what the most used websites are doing.. and people are not paying attention.

For instance, facebook connect is now sharing your data. And if I'm not mistaken, there was a clause that allows them to withhold with whom.

Not that it would matter, as the cost vs. reward is too low... wouldn't wanna miss out on those farmville points yo.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I remember someone on here mentioned peoplefinder.com a while back, and I was amazed at the information it contained as well ... Also, if you own a home, more-than-likely there is a bunch of public information about you on your county's web site ... I know up until a couple of years ago in the state of Texas, they would even include your SSN on many of the documents, giving evildoers a little more easy access to connect the dots.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.