The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You might not need a Fastlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Just to clarify from the start, this is not a troll thread or something like that. I want to comment on two excerpts from Unscripted and TMF (I hope MJ doesn’t mind me posting them here) that have been in my head for a few weeks:

Quote from The Millionaire Fastlane :
If you are one of the lucky few who can earn an income from a specific activity that you love AND are good enough, kudos to you. And congratulations, you might not need a Fastlane. A Slowlane just might suffice. No worries. But for those of us who can’t transform our loves into income, there are other alternatives paved by the Fastlane.

Quote from Unscripted :
Much of this research also explains why certain jobs are incredibly fulfilling and why everyone doesn’t need to be an entrepreneur. If your job fulfills meaning-and-purpose while also providing some autonomy, connectedness, and feeling of competence, you’ve struck gold.

I’ve been thinking about this in the last few weeks. There’s been a few big changes like moving abroad and taking a job (a few months contract, really, but there’ll be more contracting after that) again. I’m lucky enough to like programming a lot, and even luckier to be able to earn good money from it.

I realised a few days ago that my passion for developing video games is probably not as important as I thought. I’ve been in and out for years, and haven’t touched it for a few months, after spending over half a year full-time. This made me think about what my real passions are, and came up with two:
  1. Learning (in general). It doesn’t matter what it is: a new language, web design, programming, chess, how to draw, music, etc. I just love learning new things.
  2. Programming. This has been always there. Even when software development stopped being my profession/studies for a couple of years, I still coded in my spare time. The same has happened in the last few months when I didn’t really work on any project (lots of action faking) but was still coding here and there.
In the last 18 years, the two things above have stood the test of time as no other things have, even when I thought those other things were really important. Programming has been the common denominator during all that time, and it gives me a sense of fulfilment when I learn new stuff and get the work done well. I’m currently spending my spare time catching up with some tech used at my new contract that I’m less familiar with, and I’m enjoying it.

For all these reasons, I started to think that I might fit in the two quotes above. I love most aspects of profession, it gives me some autonomy, that feeling of competence that makes you satisfied, and it’s well paid if you are good at it. Work hours can be longer than usual sometimes, but it normally gives me evenings and weekends free to do other things I love, either some non-related stuff or keep learning to improve as a dev, or to work on side projects.

It’s still a job/profession though. I miss the freedom I had a few months ago when I was pursuing personal projects full-time. And it still has most of the concerns of a job (security, doesn’t scale apart from intrinsic value, not owning your own time, limited holidays -although being a contractor gives more flexibility, but still limited during contracts-, office politics, idiotic team mates, etc.). But when you weigh everything, it doesn’t look too bad. Even getting a good remote job can be a great improvement, as you don’t have to commute and can work from wherever you want, giving you more time and some more freedom.

I wonder if the above makes any sense at all, and whether there are other people here thinking the same. Maybe I just need a break and that's why I'm thinking about this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
Sure, you dont need the fastlane. Most people dont need it.
You said it yourself, you miss the freedom. And thats why you should go for it.

Here is my 2 cents. You love learning and coding, so you can make apps or sites that help you in that experience, useful tools, maybe you just want to curate really good courses and sell a subscription.

There are many ways to monetize those interests, you dont have to be stuck in a dayjob if its reasonable to achieve freedom.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Sure, you dont need the fastlane. Most people dont need it.
You said it yourself, you miss the freedom. And thats why you should go for it.

Here is my 2 cents. You love learning and coding, so you can make apps or sites that help you in that experience, useful tools, maybe you just want to curate really good courses and sell a subscription.

There are many ways to monetize those interests, you dont have to be stuck in a dayjob if its reasonable to achieve freedom.
I agree that I should go for it to get the freedom back, even if I don't need it. There's another thing that really troubles me, and is getting too old/replaceable in the future and having problems with getting jobs (I've already seen some older but excellent developers having troubles, or even having to move abroad in their 50s - not cool). That's the exact same thing I thought of one year ago. Unfortunately, I found those alone are not enough to fire the trigger again now. I had some FTEs in the past at previous jobs and made me push harder, but at the moment the urgency is not there. For now, my profession pays well enough to not ignore it, and it doesn't exclude working on long-term freedom on the side, they aren't incompatible.

I still have some ideas for SaaS/mobile apps, and some video games. I want to go for them (specially the later) even if it's just for personal satisfaction (better than spending on the time on Udemy courses). I guess when the transition period of my new life ends (which has stressed me out mentally a lot), I'll feel less "let's learn stuff or code for fun!" and more "damn, I want to be able to have a CHOICE, let's create something for real!", and will get back on track.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.