After a few months of importing from China and not having any issues, I decided to try and source some products from the US.
Everything was going smoothly until it came time to pay. The manufacture asked to see copies of my business licence as well as my re sellers permit. Uhhh what?
I didn't know what a re sellers permit was, and definitely didn't know that I needed one!
After some research I found out that a re-sellers permit helps to allow businesses to buy from manufactures without the need to pay sales tax. While good for large orders, I was only going to order about 25 pieces.
So this does not seem like a 100% necessity for right now. Right? I can tell the manufacture that I don't have one/in the process of getting one. I pay sales tax, no big deal.
It will make me less professional, oh well. Am I right to assume that I don't need one?
The real conundrum: The Business Licence. (Dun Dun Dun...)
I was under the impression that you are not considered a business until you have reached $20,000 in sales. At this point you change from a "hobby" to a "business".
(***For those who may not be aware, you get a 1099 from your friendly neighborhood IRS agent once you cross 20k in sales for a given year
***)
While I am very close, I am not there yet. However, scowering the internet has only left me more confused. Numerous sites have said that you need a license others say no.
For those of you who run online businesses, did you need need a license to buy from the US? (Im from TX btw).
Would I be able to tell my manufacture that I am a new business and in the process of getting these documents but dont have them at the moment?
Why do I not need licenses to buy from China but I do from the US?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
TLDR:
Do you need a business licence and re-sellers permit to buy from manufactures in the USA (TX)?
Everything was going smoothly until it came time to pay. The manufacture asked to see copies of my business licence as well as my re sellers permit. Uhhh what?
I didn't know what a re sellers permit was, and definitely didn't know that I needed one!After some research I found out that a re-sellers permit helps to allow businesses to buy from manufactures without the need to pay sales tax. While good for large orders, I was only going to order about 25 pieces.
So this does not seem like a 100% necessity for right now. Right? I can tell the manufacture that I don't have one/in the process of getting one. I pay sales tax, no big deal.
It will make me less professional, oh well. Am I right to assume that I don't need one?
The real conundrum: The Business Licence. (Dun Dun Dun...)
I was under the impression that you are not considered a business until you have reached $20,000 in sales. At this point you change from a "hobby" to a "business".
(***For those who may not be aware, you get a 1099 from your friendly neighborhood IRS agent once you cross 20k in sales for a given year
While I am very close, I am not there yet. However, scowering the internet has only left me more confused. Numerous sites have said that you need a license others say no.
For those of you who run online businesses, did you need need a license to buy from the US? (Im from TX btw).
Would I be able to tell my manufacture that I am a new business and in the process of getting these documents but dont have them at the moment?
Why do I not need licenses to buy from China but I do from the US?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
TLDR:
Do you need a business licence and re-sellers permit to buy from manufactures in the USA (TX)?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
