The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wrong Mindset or Wrong Actions ?

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
Hello dear fastlane friends,

I would like to share with you my story. I am right now 21 years old,i live in Bucharest/Romania and my dream is to be a entrepreneur, i want to experience life and freedom. By this time i had started almost 11 projects and non of them finished. I feel like a i have a mental block and i can't move further, i read a lot of books including MJ's book which is awesome, but i feel like i get freeze when i try to work, i can't focus and i am desperate.

Each time i make something is getting wrong or worse, and i don't understand why. Each morning i visualize the day when i will be what i want to be and driving my Porsche Panamera Turbo S.

Can someone tell me how to escape from this mental jail?

A lot of thanks if you read my post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

In The Mountains

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 14, 2015
Clear your mind, choose the project you are most passionate about and ride it until the end. Then rinse and repeat until successful.

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
Determine how long you worked on each of the 11 projects before you gave up. Rank them in order, longest time spent to shortest amount of time spent. Now choose a project that shouldn't take any more time than the last one on your list. Finish it.

Maka702

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 13, 2015
Werere
1. Pick a Small Project.
2. Make sure it fills a need.
3.?????
4. Profit.
5.Rinse and repeat.
6.Porsche Panamera Turbo S.

In all seriousness it much harder than that but find a need and fill it rather than doing something you "love". Although a love for something can give you motivation to accomplish things. That's where having a passion for what you do. Example I'm developing a product that I absolutely can give two shits about. But I realize environmentalist will love the damn thing and my passion is to help people. As MJ said you give people what they want then your wants soon follow in the form of currency. Also you don't have to go crazy on your Projects. Finding a need can be as simple as just a pain point somebody is experiencing with a product that you know you can do better. Then Blam you’re in business. The best way to get in business is to be in business.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Write notes to yourself in advance. You are mid project, everything is going really well, dopamine is all over the place. Record a video begging yourself not to drop this project. Tell yourself that there will come a time when you will want to give up so bad, but you must not.

After this video is recorded jot down you are not allowed to quit the current project unless you write a 20,000 essay why it will not work. Furthermore the video must be watched 100x in a row.

This movement from one project to next is literally guaranteeing you won't be successful. Write up a step by step plan and stick to it until the very end. Good luck!

Clenrock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 14, 2014
You are not the only one with this problem, a lot of people struggle with jumping from one project to the other. Like a year ago, I did exactly the same thing. I started a project for a week, saw no results and started a new project. Try to be patient and show perseverance in the project that you would like to finish!

Nobody ever got rich or saw amazing results just after starting a project, and they saw no results at all after quitting! Focus on 1 project and finish it. When you think about quitting, just pause for a day or so and think about it. This helped me to just go on with the project I was working on, because after a day you realise that you should try it again!

Good luck!

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
also
1936-56ebe0373915b679079c7bfd32467ac4.jpg

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
You are not the only one with this problem, a lot of people struggle with jumping from one project to the other. Like a year ago, I did exactly the same thing. I started a project for a week, saw no results and started a new project. Try to be patient and show perseverance in the project that you would like to finish!

Nobody ever got rich or saw amazing results just after starting a project, and they saw no results at all after quitting! Focus on 1 project and finish it. When you think about quitting, just pause for a day or so and think about it. This helped me to just go on with the project I was working on, because after a day you realise that you should try it again!

Good luck!

I know what you say. I promise to do my best! Thank you very much for your motivational message.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Straight up?

The mental jail you are talking about is NOT unique to you.
I think everyone personalises it way too much "I'm lazy" or "I can't finish", just stop running that excuse and better your completion rate every day.

Ok, heres an analogy, you hate cleaning up your room/apartment/house so you leave a bowl here a bowl there and it starts to smell and you are like "f#ck it, I don't mind", so then a few months later you are in this little mancave that isn't very neat and tidy.

Pushing yourself to clean can totally work, but even more powerful than that is discovering a "pull" or a "want" to clean an building a habit around it.

In business, you just need that daily "pull".
I have tons of unfinished books, and how I finish them is I just take time to sit, doing nothing right next to it, and eventually I'm like "yeah ok, lets write".
So put yourself in a position to do that work, and to feel drawn to it.

Its not a trait that is just specific to you, you aren't specially disabled, you just need to nut up an work it out for yourself.

Ideally you want to be self motivated, so just figure out a way you can be and get it done, don't be a little quitter baby :p

When its real hard, just make tasks extra stupid simple, and ultra specific, grab that bowl, put it closer to the sink.
Write one sentence. Make one call. Just put the toe in the water, and let nature do the rest.

Also, have fun with what you do. Crank up the music, dance, drink, involve people, have fun.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
Straight up?

The mental jail you are talking about is NOT unique to you.
I think everyone personalises it way too much "I'm lazy" or "I can't finish", just stop running that excuse and better your completion rate every day.

Ok, heres an analogy, you hate cleaning up your room/apartment/house so you leave a bowl here a bowl there and it starts to smell and you are like "f#ck it, I don't mind", so then a few months later you are in this little mancave that isn't very neat and tidy.

Pushing yourself to clean can totally work, but even more powerful than that is discovering a "pull" or a "want" to clean an building a habit around it.

In business, you just need that daily "pull".
I have tons of unfinished books, and how I finish them is I just take time to sit, doing nothing right next to it, and eventually I'm like "yeah ok, lets write".
So put yourself in a position to do that work, and to feel drawn to it.

Its not a trait that is just specific to you, you aren't specially disabled, you just need to nut up an work it out for yourself.

Ideally you want to be self motivated, so just figure out a way you can be and get it done, don't be a little quitter baby :p

When its real hard, just make tasks extra stupid simple, and ultra specific, grab that bowl, put it closer to the sink.
Write one sentence. Make one call. Just put the toe in the water, and let nature do the rest.

Also, have fun with what you do. Crank up the music, dance, drink, involve people, have fun.

Hey mate,

I never give up! No matter how hard it is, but i think my problem is at a subconscious level...I have ideas, i take action but anything is wrong. Affirmations create thoughts, thoughts create emotions, emotions create actions, actions create results. My problem is who my brain think i am, i must change inside in order to change my outside world. Many thanks for your help!

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
1. Pick a Small Project.
2. Make sure it fills a need.
3.?????
4. Profit.
5.Rinse and repeat.
6.Porsche Panamera Turbo S.
Alternate way to get that car :

a) - 1. Go to Porsche Store
2. Say you want car on loan
3. They give it to you
4. Pay or die

b) (b - for Better way)
1. Look on net / around your area for car rentals.
2. Rent ur porsche
3. Pay some 1000-2000 dollars per month
4. Finally get bored after some time
5. No longer Rent that car after half a year / year
6. Profit - 100 000 dollars (You save yourself over 100k loss)

Better way v2.0 :
1. Save money
2. Do not lose money
3. Do not buy that stupid car (do not "suffer" from fancy object syndrome)

"Best way v3.0"

1. Get Rich
2. Buy a lot of Luxury cars (Porsche)
3. Do not sell those just yet, instead rent them.
4. Make a lot of profit

If you sell only 25 of those bottles, you should, as Kevin o leary says : Take your business and shoot it behind the barn.

Or rather my way : If you do not manage to sell 25 of them in A DAY, EVERY DAY, shoot it aswell.

I hope somebody disagrees.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Alternate way to get that car :

If you sell only 25 of those bottles, you should, as Kevin o leary says : Take your business and shoot it behind the barn.

Or rather my way : If you do not manage to sell 25 of them in A DAY, EVERY DAY, shoot it aswell.

I hope somebody disagrees.

You don't want a $75B company?

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
If I had to SELL THEM door to DOOR, I doubt anyone here wouldn´t manage to sell 25 bottles in a day.

Having a company that sells 25 bottles per year is not business, but a hobby.

I am saying this, because I have sold more than 25 / of product(complete garbage-btw: my first job)in an hour, than they did in a year...

Kevin O´leary saysy : If it is not making any money after 3 years, it is not a business, but a hobby.

It is not good to "keep trying" just for the sake of it, just because everyone thinks that if you "just try more" you will succeed. Chances are - you might, but you might not aswell. (MUCH MORE likely unfortunatelly)

I do not think that we should be taking examples from a company that got "lucky". Today it would just not be replicated.

Last edited:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Hello dear fastlane friends,

I would like to share with you my story. I am right now 21 years old,i live in Bucharest/Romania and my dream is to be a entrepreneur, i want to experience life and freedom. By this time i had started almost 11 projects and non of them finished. I feel like a i have a mental block and i can't move further, i read a lot of books including MJ's book which is awesome, but i feel like i get freeze when i try to work, i can't focus and i am desperate.

Each time i make something is getting wrong or worse, and i don't understand why. Each morning i visualize the day when i will be what i want to be and driving my Porsche Panamera Turbo S.

Can someone tell me how to escape from this mental jail?

A lot of thanks if you read my post.
Stop doing it for yourself and understand your place in this world as an entrepreneur is to help other people.
Help people

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Each morning i visualize the day when i will be what i want to be and driving my Porsche Panamera Turbo S.
Do you REALLY want it?
Because the real problem that a LOT of people have is that they spend all their lifes trying to get/buy/achieve a thing that they sooner or later realize they didn´t even want/do not make them happy.

(it might be tough to hear it first, and you might think that this is in conflict with your deep desires, but really is not)

Often these are cars. I have heard that in one "psychology" book, do not have time to link it here.

The point is : to get what you really want, not just temporary toys, that won´t make you happy. (although you think that is it best thing on the planet right now - as I thought as well)

Last edited:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
If I had to SELL THEM door to DOOR, I doubt anyone here wouldn´t manage to sell 25 bottles in a day.

Having a company that sells 25 bottles per year is not business, but a hobby.

I am saying this, because I have sold more than 25 / of product(complete garbage-btw: my first job)in an hour, than they did in a year...

Kevin O´leary saysy : If it is not making any money after 3 years, it is not a business, but a hobby.

It is not good to "keep trying" just for the sake of it, just because everyone thinks that if you "just try more" you will succeed. Chances are - you might, but you might not aswell. (MUCH MORE likely unfortunatelly)

I do not think that we should be taking examples from a company that got "lucky". Today it would just not be replicated.

There are countless examples of companies fighting through scarce, uncertain times to then be worth billions. Success is not linear.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Have you read the book?

MJ clearly states not to jump into several things at once in the beginning,

And you better take this advice into your heart,

I've been there and did many things at once- it only brought me frustration,

Sit down and think what you want to do, then focus and give it all your energy,

Good luck man!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
There are countless examples of companies fighting through scarce, uncertain times to then be worth billions. Success is not linear.

He just means that you need to gather your wits, and come up with a better solution if you can't sell, and is offering the concept that brute force selling (though not optimal) will trump hanging in the wind.

I agree, up to a point. And then I agree with you pure A.

I call it "scraping".
Where you brute force sell without any real market knowledge, or market power (ability to connect with your market)
And you keep re-iterating the sales process to scrape together a solution.

It can build a million dollar biz, but it will kill your margins with labor or costs.

There is a MINDSET you need to achieve beyond "scraping" and it is WHY you are scraping. Is it for cash? Or is it to run a great business? Scraping can give a little cushion to the budget to help flip a startup into a real business with good margins, IF over that time you better your products and services and create a vision that will work at scale.

If you achieve that understanding your biz will head toward 10mil as you scale it, which is about the freedom mark these days.

I don't recommend scraping things together really because most people just create debt.
You have to have enough vision, even if you scrape.

Getting to that threshold is the same as actually wanting to be in business.
You gotta want to stay with it, imo.

Last edited:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
He just means that you need to gather your wits, and come up with a better solution if you can't sell, and is offering the concept that brute force selling (though not optimal) will trump hanging in the wind.

I agree, up to a point. And then I agree with you pure A.

I call it "scraping".
Where you brute force sell without any real market knowledge, or market power (ability to connect with your market)
And you keep re-iterating the sales process to scrape together a solution.

It can build a million dollar biz, but it will kill your margins with labor or costs.

There is a MINDSET you need to achieve beyond "scraping" and it is WHY you are scraping. Is it for cash? Or is it to run a great business? Scraping can give a little cushion to the budget to help flip a startup into a real business with good margins, IF over that time you better your products and services and create a vision that will work at scale.

If you achieve that understanding your biz will head toward 10mil as you scale it, which is about the freedom mark these days.

I don't recommend scraping things together really because most people just create debt.
You have to have enough vision, even if you scrape.

Getting to that threshold is the same as actually wanting to be in business.
You gotta want to stay with it, imo.

Nice post. Yes, I am not referring to a cash focused biz, but one you believe in. I agree that there is a huge difference between pushing shitty product, to believing in something that you know can help people etc

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
There is a MINDSET you need to achieve beyond "scraping"
Damn it, i didn´t mean you have to sell door to door.

What I meant was, that if you manage to sell only 25 bottles of some cola in year your default behaviour should be to quit that business allready, because frankly, the more you will participate in this kind of business (no profitability), the more money you will loose.

Coca-Cola just got lucky, just as inumerable number of companies did aswell. So it shouldn´t be taken as a great example.

Almost all the people on shark tank - they encourage the people who come there - this is EVIL.

Kevin O´leary in contrast
(and no I am not preaching him like some God, it is just a good example):
“People find that hard sometimes, but my attitude about money is it’s binary - black and white. Either you make it or you lose it,” he explains. “So why lie to people about it, particularly if they are putting their own families’ assets in harm's way, which is often the case on Shark Tank?[don´t forget to go "all in" and be homeless later...] I’d rather just say it's a stupid idea; it's going to zero; take it behind the barn and shoot it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kevin-o-leary--here-s-how-you-win-big-on-shark-tank-162550185.html

Again: If it isn´t make any money, quit now, or regret it later. Everybody still thinks, that just because everyone keeps saying : Fail Again! Fail Faster! (and such o_O), that you should keep "failing" again again... (does anyone realize how poisonous it might be to the subconcious mind, although nobody really realizes it? - this advice is all around! Repeated 100 times, it becomes the truth.)

And besides this is HOW MONEY IS MADE ON THE STOCK MARKET ANYWAY : Investors PUT MONEY into GOOD companies = Creating value

(so that more and more products that are LIKED by people EXIST)
so they can leave Bad Companies/Bad Ideas die =short stock
basically purging the world from companies that just "shouldn´t be there, because they SUCKING MONEY and just wasting space/time/energy...- therefore when they dissapear it is valuable to everyone... Because they NO LONGER have to put money into a BLACK HOLE. They can instead GENERATE money.

If you follow the forum more, you will see that I didn´t just make this up(as anything in text - but rather brought it up from different sources) and therefore isn´t just a nonsense as it may seem.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Holy text inconsistency batman!

I like your gusto Charmander.

Of course as a CEO of a company the first port of call is VIABILITY and being able to tell the difference between a goer, a no goer and a "man I was the problem here" kind of business.

Ideas are a dime a dozen, and so long as they fit a few parameters
- Healthy margins
- An engageable market
- Simple(not over engineered) and relevant
- Proof of concept (at minimum) has been established (outside of farmers markets and such)

- Good selling logistics

You should be ok. So long as you execute an actual business.
- Knowing your numbers, gross profit, net, customer aquisition
- Know your market from the inside out, objectively
- Having a generally viable strategy to market that doesn't just make or break on one factor
- Having the aptitude to be put to work under the demands of scaling

Then you should be TOLERABLE.
And your biz should profit.

So long as you don't give off red flags
- Debt
- Deception
- Dodging
- Dragging a##
- Denial

If its not profiting then, then either you are the problem, or you need to just go get a better conforming idea that the market wants.

That kinda what you mean Charmander? :smoking:
Cuz yeah, totally.

If your foundations are solid, and you are above board, an idea shouldn't be the thing you cling onto if its not working.

Btw
The OP gives off the highlighted redflags and lacks at least the highlighted basics.
(nothing personal)
And this is why none of the 11 ideas went anywhere

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!