The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wow thinking different

reddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Really thinking different about opening a business since reading most of the FL book.My best freind just bought a cup cake store.I think he messed up.I mean damn how many friggin cupcakes yu gonna sell to make some bank.Some business es just aint worth it.I am out of line here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

reddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Really thinking different about opening a business since reading most of the FL book.My best freind just bought a cup cake store.I think he messed up.I mean damn how many friggin cupcakes yu gonna sell to make some bank.Some business es just aint worth it.I am out of line here?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Depends on if your friend is trapping himself into a job or not. If his long game is to franchise it out then it very well could be Fastlane.

Not to mention the margin on COGS for baked good can be insane. Just think how many $3 cupcakes you can make with 50lbs bags of flour/sugar/eggs/milk?

But all of this is for nothing if the shop is in a terrible location.

However, working 14hr days selling $3 cupcakes for 10 years is very, very NOT Fastlane.

Personally, I think the whole cupcake craze is dying out.

reddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Depends on if your friend is trapping himself into a job or not. If his long game is to franchise it out then it very well could be Fastlane.

Not to mention the margin on COGS for baked good can be insane. Just think how many $3 cupcakes you can make with 50lbs bags of flour/sugar/eggs/milk?

But all of this is for nothing if the shop is in a terrible location.

However, working 14hr days selling $3 cupcakes for 10 years is very, very NOT Fastlane.

Personally, I think the whole cupcake craze is dying out.
He does have great locations,he is a savvy person.I just dont see the volume in that product.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
You could recommend him to read The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. I think the author throughout the book refers to a conversation he had with a pie bakery owner. The advice might help your friend make his venture less of a job and more of a business, at least.

reddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Hoping the bes
You could recommend him to read The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. I think the author throughout the book refers to a conversation he had with a pie bakery owner. The advice might help your friend make his venture less of a job and more of a business, at least.
Okay thanks .

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some business es just aint worth it.I am out of line here?

Depends, can you ship a cupcake 1800 miles away? Also, if it's high volume and franchisable, it can be turned into a gamechanger. Also, sugar is addictive -- not a bad ingredient to have on your side if you want repeat buyers.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
He needs to be on Uber eats and all the other services.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast

Yeah but you could have asked Starbucks the same thing when they started - how many cups of overpriced coffee could they sell? One thing that will never change - people like to go to nice places and eat. Eating is the biggest habit mankind ever had, it’s one of a few things that all 7 billion of us do.

Create the value. Scale the value.

Enough about your friend. What kind of business are you going to do?

Jeff InfoPreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Jan 3, 2014
If he really has the chops then you could turn this into something special. I have a half-dozen cupcake shops around my region and they are all the same, fairly limited selection - run out of supply by 2 in afternoon, employ people that really don't appear to want to work there, have very little personality to the place. Seems like there is a great opportunity for disruption either on the retail side (think making it a great environment to come and hang out at) or on the back-end where you outwork everyone else in getting orders from teams, b-days, schools, corporate events, etc... Gotta love it and gotta have a bigger vision than doing the same as everyone else

reddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Yeah but you could have asked Starbucks the same thing when they started - how many cups of overpriced coffee could they sell? One thing that will never change - people like to go to nice places and eat. Eating is the biggest habit mankind ever had, it’s one of a few things that all 7 billion of us do.

Started writing my first book this morning.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
I know a dude who quit his job to start a cupcake shop and has now opened multiple locations.

I thought the same thing about profit potential etc. Turns out I was wrong.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum. My neighbor is a barber with a solid game plan to churn out several more locations in the coming years. You can absolutely achieve success with well executed unsexy ideas.

reddog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.

Just got thru reading MFL.Trying to digest the information,I have started a book to see if I can do something besides my normal 9-5.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...