The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Wow thinking different

reddog

New Contributor
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Really thinking different about opening a business since reading most of the FL book.My best freind just bought a cup cake store.I think he messed up.I mean damn how many friggin cupcakes yu gonna sell to make some bank.Some business es just aint worth it.I am out of line here?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
reddog

reddog

New Contributor
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Really thinking different about opening a business since reading most of the FL book.My best freind just bought a cup cake store.I think he messed up.I mean damn how many friggin cupcakes yu gonna sell to make some bank.Some business es just aint worth it.I am out of line here?

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Depends on if your friend is trapping himself into a job or not. If his long game is to franchise it out then it very well could be Fastlane.

Not to mention the margin on COGS for baked good can be insane. Just think how many $3 cupcakes you can make with 50lbs bags of flour/sugar/eggs/milk?

But all of this is for nothing if the shop is in a terrible location.

However, working 14hr days selling $3 cupcakes for 10 years is very, very NOT Fastlane.

Personally, I think the whole cupcake craze is dying out.

OP
OP
reddog

reddog

New Contributor
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Depends on if your friend is trapping himself into a job or not. If his long game is to franchise it out then it very well could be Fastlane.

Not to mention the margin on COGS for baked good can be insane. Just think how many $3 cupcakes you can make with 50lbs bags of flour/sugar/eggs/milk?

But all of this is for nothing if the shop is in a terrible location.

However, working 14hr days selling $3 cupcakes for 10 years is very, very NOT Fastlane.

Personally, I think the whole cupcake craze is dying out.
He does have great locations,he is a savvy person.I just dont see the volume in that product.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
You could recommend him to read The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. I think the author throughout the book refers to a conversation he had with a pie bakery owner. The advice might help your friend make his venture less of a job and more of a business, at least.

OP
OP
reddog

reddog

New Contributor
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Hoping the bes
You could recommend him to read The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. I think the author throughout the book refers to a conversation he had with a pie bakery owner. The advice might help your friend make his venture less of a job and more of a business, at least.
Okay thanks .

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
He does have great locations,he is a savvy person.I just dont see the volume in that product.
Fair enough, he won't know until he launches!

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Some business es just aint worth it.I am out of line here?
Depends, can you ship a cupcake 1800 miles away? Also, if it's high volume and franchisable, it can be turned into a gamechanger. Also, sugar is addictive -- not a bad ingredient to have on your side if you want repeat buyers.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Replace cupcake with donut and or coffee... Doesn't sound so crazy if the owner has a vision...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
He needs to be on Uber eats and all the other services.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Yeah but you could have asked Starbucks the same thing when they started - how many cups of overpriced coffee could they sell? One thing that will never change - people like to go to nice places and eat. Eating is the biggest habit mankind ever had, it’s one of a few things that all 7 billion of us do.

Create the value. Scale the value.

Enough about your friend. What kind of business are you going to do?

Jeff InfoPreneur

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
If he really has the chops then you could turn this into something special. I have a half-dozen cupcake shops around my region and they are all the same, fairly limited selection - run out of supply by 2 in afternoon, employ people that really don't appear to want to work there, have very little personality to the place. Seems like there is a great opportunity for disruption either on the retail side (think making it a great environment to come and hang out at) or on the back-end where you outwork everyone else in getting orders from teams, b-days, schools, corporate events, etc... Gotta love it and gotta have a bigger vision than doing the same as everyone else

OP
OP
reddog

reddog

New Contributor
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.
Yeah but you could have asked Starbucks the same thing when they started - how many cups of overpriced coffee could they sell? One thing that will never change - people like to go to nice places and eat. Eating is the biggest habit mankind ever had, it’s one of a few things that all 7 billion of us do.

Started writing my first book this morning.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
I know a dude who quit his job to start a cupcake shop and has now opened multiple locations.

I thought the same thing about profit potential etc. Turns out I was wrong.

lowtek

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum. My neighbor is a barber with a solid game plan to churn out several more locations in the coming years. You can absolutely achieve success with well executed unsexy ideas.

OP
OP
reddog

reddog

New Contributor
Oct 16, 2018
sparta ga.

Just got thru reading MFL.Trying to digest the information,I have started a book to see if I can do something besides my normal 9-5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom