The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you invest in this keyword? (AdWords and SEO)

Marketing, social media, advertising
G

Guest12120

I've been learning how to use Google Adwords for the past couple of days and the more I play with it the more confused I get. After pretty unsuccessful initial campaign, I decided that I need to bid on more specific keywords and came up with one.

It looks like the numbers in Market Samurai and Keyword Planner look pretty promising (screenshots below). To me it looks like a phrase with a decent monthly search volume and fairly low competition. All numbers are for exact match.

The profit from one transaction made on the website would be roughly $50.

The question is:
Is the keyword profitable enough to have a landing page built especially for it and have significant amount of money invested in AdWords campaign (based on a few similar phrases)? Would this keyword be difficult to rank for in Google?

Is there something important that I'm missing when I look at the Market Samurai and Keyword Planner numbers? I want to know what to look for when I do keyword research.

Market Samurai:
Click here for glossary of acronyms

Keyword research.png

SEO Competition.png

Google Keyword Planner:

Keyword planner.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ddinnov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 19, 2013
London
The only way to really find out is to test it. Can you run a test campaign and see if it converts? Even if you find out that it doesn't to start with you may need to split test a few LPs.

Building specific landing pages is something that can be done fairly quickly and you should expect to do a lot of them if you're testing PPC (or any traffic source) for conversions. Same with investing some money into seeing if a keyword/traffic source/landing page converts as well. You need an overall strategy and budget and be happy to not make a profit, even if you don't make a profit you'll gain valuable data on what works and what doesn't. Try this:

1. Decide on how much to spend on testing the keyword - you can base it on the expected payout - some people say to spend the payout of a conversion x 2 or 3 so that's $100-150

2. Decide on which elements to test and in which order, start with 2 totally different LPs, pick a winner then test details like headlines, graphics, colors, layouts. You want to test ad copy as well.

3. Try some cheaper PPC traffic sources than adwords, Bing, facebook and 2nd tier PPC like 7 search etc can send you more click for your budget. I recommend Bing. Unless of course clisk are cheap on Google. Ideally you want to send a decent amount of clicks to each version of your LP to get useful data.

Hopefully you'll make some sales in the process and it might all pay for itself

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
The niche. Seems to be very small, in my opnion. If that's for the main keyword. Of course, it could make you money. But you are not going to be a millionaire with only 1,900 searches a month. Look for something with 190,000 searches a month. Unless you are in a niche, in a niche. Kind of.

But I don't know your niche. I would guess, with only 1,900 searches. It's probably like a $500 profit market a month. Max. If you do pay per click with Google adwords only.

Just, my opinion. Though.

Edit: To help you out a little. Focus on search volumes on broad and exact match. And skip most of the things you see with Market Samurai. What matters is how many people search for the words. How many clicks on the ads. And how much money the clicks generate.

In your case. $3.57 is the estimated cost per click on average.

This is what matters. I hope this helps.

And this is also how I find domain names to buy and sell.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
@Maxjohan
U would suggest going for high comp keywords?
Yes. But I think search volume is very important. Too. But if the CPC is high. It's good. At least if you do SEO. But it also proves, that there is a market there. I think.

murk01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 13, 2013
I mean if.. for example market samuri says that it will be tough for ur site to compete

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
@ddinnov Spot on.

The keyword is low volume (<50k/mo) with medium competition. As far as SEO is concerned, it wouldn't be too difficult to rank in a short amount of time. As far as Adwords goes, the average CPC is $3.57. If your total profit is $50 per conversion, you need a conversion rate of ~7.14% to break even. Since all industries, products, services, and markets have differing conversion rates there is no standard. Test and see if you can turn a profit.

murk01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 13, 2013
I havent used market samuri in awhile. But the comp looks pretty thick. Can you google " davegil keyword tool" put your key word Iin there and tell me what score you get. Just so I can get an idea. Im pretty new to this too.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I mean if.. for example market samuri says that it will be tough for ur site to compete
Yes. Go for high compensation keywords, even if it's hard to compete. And try to work smarter instead. There is more money there. Than in small markets. Right?

If you want to be a winner. You have to deal with competition. At least if your goal is to make millions and not $100k a year or so.

Sure. You can also have an innovation in some way. But in general, I think you need to deal with comepetition. And instead see it as a "challenge".

I was going to mention that you could start out in a small niche too. If you are new to Internet businesses.

But then I thought. That it's like the same in a big niche. For example. If you do SEO only. You could get a 5-8 position in a big niche instead of a 1-2 position in a small niche.

With the big niche. You have potential to get a higher ranking. In the small niche you may get the same amount of traffic as in the big niche. But you have little potential to get more traffic.

Meaning. That there is higher upside in a big niche.

How does that sound?

It's kind of the same in a poker tournament with like 5000 players instead of a poker tournament with 200 players. If you get like 50-100th place finish in the 5000 player tournament. You could win the same money as finishing like, top 3 or so in the 200 player tournament.

I don't know the numbers exactly for the poker tournament. It was just another example of the same concept.

I hope this helps.

Peace.

Edit: But I'm not an expert. And I don't claim to know it all. So don't blame it on me. If you lose money. Or waste a lot of time and see failure. In general. Making money online takes time, failure and requires action and study.

Last edited:

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I disagree with a lot of the previous advise for YOU - right now. You sound like you are pretty new to this. Consider your efforts to succeed on a low volume kw as your education - keep trying to get it right and don't expect to make much, if any, money. concentrate on developing an approach you can replicate and continue to improve.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Try to get an advantage instead. If you just sell some affiliate products. Good luck making millions or even thousands in profits. You need to know what you are doing. Both in SEO and PPC.

And also.

"A gifted product is mightier than a gifted pen."
- It's mentioned in Reality in Advertising by Rosser Reeves.

Gary Bencivenga writes about this in his Marketing Bullets. He states that if you want to make a fortune. Then, you can't sell a "me too" product.

I guess, it's not needed, if you're first with inventing something to your own, never been seen market.

That's why I really think you can hit gold. If you innovate and try to come up with a twist to something or just operate in a new way. Or, just are first with creating something, no one ever really seen before.

But there has to be market to what you do and what you create. Otherwise, you will not get rich.

Yes. I just edited this post and expanded a little more on what I think can seprate you, from competition and so on.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
@Maxjohan do u do that line of work profesonaly
No. I just study for now. Been studying stuff for years. I'm not in a hurry. But I do sell and buy domain names from time to time. I don't really know what you asked me, of what I did "professionally"?

No, I'm not a copywriter either. And I don't do SEO or PPC.

But I'm not a newbie to Internet marketing. And such things. I just don't want to sell penis enlargement systems. And stuff like that.

Not even dating.

Not MLM's either.

Peace.

Last edited:

murk01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 13, 2013
Yeh. I ment to ask if you did it for a living. Im fairly new have 2 new sites up. Made a few dollars with older project . But not much

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.