The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you get insurance when running fitness lessons?

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
I plan to run some fitness lessons. I found a gymnasium that I can rent for £16/hour. I want to start pretty soon so I can see if there is as much a demand for it in my area as I predict.

I have no experience in running fitness lessons. I will be running them with my friend and we are both ex military so we will be trying to replicate circuit training fitness sessions we did.

I'm not sure if it's worth getting insurance. The lessons will not involve equipment. People will be running around and doing pressups, situps and stuff like that. But there is still a chance someone could slip, smash their head open and sue me.

Anyone got any advice for me? I don't want to register as a company yet as I'm not sure how it will all pan out.

I'm based in England if that makes any difference.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi Mate

You want Professional Indemnity Insurance and possibly Public Liability Insurance. If you employ anyone you will need Employers Liability Insurance too.

This stuff does not actually cost that much for £5 million if you phone around. Could be £100 to £200 a year depending on a few factors the insurance company will ask.

If someone slipped and fell on the neck of another which causes major disability they will be awarded millions as their life has just changed. Someone has to pay for this.

Hint: You do not want it to be you!

Good Luck with your venture.

If you're near Soton I know an ex 17/21st who is turning into a lard arse for you

Dan

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I plan to run some fitness lessons. I found a gymnasium that I can rent for £16/hour. I want to start pretty soon so I can see if there is as much a demand for it in my area as I predict.

I have no experience in running fitness lessons. I will be running them with my friend and we are both ex military so we will be trying to replicate circuit training fitness sessions we did.

I'm not sure if it's worth getting insurance. The lessons will not involve equipment. People will be running around and doing pressups, situps and stuff like that. But there is still a chance someone could slip, smash their head open and sue me.

Anyone got any advice for me? I don't want to register as a company yet as I'm not sure how it will all pan out.

I'm based in England if that makes any difference.

At the fitness class I go to, they let us sign a form / contract that states that the studio is not liable for any accidents / deaths that happens during the class. Maybe you can use that as an additional protection.

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
I'm in a different industry, but for me to:

- Say anything (not even give advice, but literally talk) - I need Professional Indemnity.
- Meet with anyone in person -I'm required to have Legal Liability and the venue is too.
- Work with anyone (eg, Bring in a contractor, speaker) - They need insurance.

And yes, use Disclaimers too! It pays to be conservative, don't open yourself up for silly risk because it seems hard. It's important to get it right. :)

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
Hi Mate

You want Professional Indemnity Insurance and possibly Public Liability Insurance. If you employ anyone you will need Employers Liability Insurance too.

This stuff does not actually cost that much for £5 million if you phone around. Could be £100 to £200 a year depending on a few factors the insurance company will ask.

If someone slipped and fell on the neck of another which causes major disability they will be awarded millions as their life has just changed. Someone has to pay for this.

Hint: You do not want it to be you!

Good Luck with your venture.

If you're near Soton I know an ex 17/21st who is turning into a lard arse for you

Dan

Ah okay that isn't that much money to risk then. Cheers for that.

I'm in Brum so Soton is a bit far from me. Maybe one day there will be a fitness class there and I can fix the lard arse :p

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
At the fitness class I go to, they let us sign a form / contract that states that the studio is not liable for any accidents / deaths that happens during the class. Maybe you can use that as an additional protection.
I've signed stuff like that many times now that I think about it. Cheers for the idea!

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
I'm in a different industry, but for me to:

- Say anything (not even give advice, but literally talk) - I need Professional Indemnity.
- Meet with anyone in person -I'm required to have Legal Liability and the venue is too.
- Work with anyone (eg, Bring in a contractor, speaker) - They need insurance.

And yes, use Disclaimers too! It pays to be conservative, don't open yourself up for silly risk because it seems hard. It's important to get it right. :)
Thanks for the advice. Did you do this when first starting off?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.