The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would this count as a longtail keyword?

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
Say the main keyword is "Dishwasher"

Longtail keywords would be:
KitchenAid Dishwasher
Green Dishwasher
Cheap Dishwashers
Dishwashers with 5 racks

But I'm wondering if things such as this are also longtail keywords. They relate to the main keyword and may also be on your website, but they dont contain the main keyword:

Dish Soap
Dish cleaning machine
Dish racks

Dish Soap and Dish racks, you may sell on a website as an accessory to Dishwashers, so I'm not sure if that counts as a longtail or not. "Dish cleaning machine" could be another word for "dishwasher" and could lead to your site just as well as "dishwasher". Not sure if that would count as longtail.

Another example would be if your main keyword was "bubble maker". Would "bubble machine" be longtail? It's really the exact same thing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Anything super competitive (or likely to be competitive) isn't long tail, and long tail keywords aren't unique to your niche. So Dish Soap and Dish racks would not be long tail.

Dishwasher with 5 racks and dish cleaning machine are probably the only long tail keywords in your post. Green Dishwasher and cheap dishwashers aren't long tail, and cheap dishwashers is highly targeted.

The concept of long tail keywords isn't really black and white. A long tail keyword might be what type of shocks fit my truck, or which fox shocks for my jeep, or where can I find a green dishwasher, etc. They are usually contain a main keyword with several additional words. There's literally millions or billions of them.

Hope that helps.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Long tail means the "long tail" of a graph. IE the minority of results.

See here: Long tail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The idea is that the long tail is equal to the short tail but covers a larger set of data. When it comes to searches you could pay $10 per click on "dish soap", $7 for "Best dish soap", $5 for "cleanest dish soap" or you could pay 5 cents per click for 200 different "long tail" keywords like "which dish soap is the greenest" (or whatever). It could even be a short term like "snazzy soap" if that happens to be an unpopular keyword.

(experts - please correct anything I got wrong here)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Long tail means the "long tail" of a graph. IE the minority of results.

See here: Long tail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The idea is that the long tail is equal to the short tail but covers a larger set of data. When it comes to searches you could pay $10 per click on "dish soap", $7 for "Best dish soap", $5 for "cleanest dish soap" or you could pay 5 cents per click for 200 different "long tail" keywords like "which dish soap is the greenest" (or whatever). It could even be a short term like "snazzy soap" if that happens to be an unpopular keyword.

(experts - please correct anything I got wrong here)

Precisely. That's the graph I was trying to find. Long tail isn't about YOUR niche or YOUR specific keywords, that graph sums it up nicely.

It's not so much that the keyword is unpopular, it's just much less popular than other keywords so you can capitalize on it (or many often capitalize it without knowing it). It applies to both organic search and PPC.

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
Anything super competitive (or likely to be competitive) isn't long tail, and long tail keywords aren't unique to your niche. So Dish Soap and Dish racks would not be long tail.

Dishwasher with 5 racks and dish cleaning machine are probably the only long tail keywords in your post. Green Dishwasher and cheap dishwashers aren't long tail, and cheap dishwashers is highly targeted.

The concept of long tail keywords isn't really black and white. A long tail keyword might be what type of shocks fit my truck, or which fox shocks for my jeep, or where can I find a green dishwasher, etc. They are usually contain a main keyword with several additional words. There's literally millions or billions of them.

Hope that helps.

I'm getting ready to leave, but when I get home I'll read about that graph. Also, I'm not trying to sell dishwashers.

You're telling me that "green dishwasher" and "cheap dishwasher" arent longtail, but "dish cleaning machine" is?
"green dishwasher" has the keyword in it, and is more specific than just "dishwasher", whereas "dish cleaning machine" doesnt have the keyword at all.

I read this article here earlier:

http://www.searchenginepartner.com/Latest-SEO-News/seo-trends-utilysing-lsi-and-the-long-tail.html

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Again, your long tail keywords DO NOT have to have a specific keyword in them. A dish cleaning machine is the same as a dishwasher, however it's much less likely to be targeted my competitors. So, therefore, ranking for it should be easier (which costs you less money), and could generate a good amount of sales.

And no, I didn't think you were trying to sell dishwashers. :)

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
Just watched this video, and it was REALLY helpful:

Noble Samurai - Dojo - Finding Long Tail Keywords

Is there an amount of longtail keywords you should rank for? I can find probably 100-200 longtail keywords for all my main keywords. Should I just pick the 10 with the most local searches?

thejanitor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Sep 25, 2012
Like I tell my coworkers, with long tail - think like a human not a dictionary bot. We've ran many successful campaigns, give it they are campaigns running at about $25k a month. But the process of running campaigns with as many cheap long tails has proven great success. With long tail you have to pry your mind away from keywords that bots love and strike gold with logical human like phrases. Double up with a solid WordPress blog on the site you are trying to promote and utilize the same long tail phrases within posts that you do for ad campaigns.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.