The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Workout Journal: My 98 Day Cut

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
The purpose of this journal is to hopefully inspire you, dispel some nutritional/fitness myths, and to keep myself accountable.

I'm going on a 98 day cut to lean down and eventually see my six pack. My deadline is April 7th for no particular reason. The goal is to lose fat and maintain muscle mass. Key words: fat loss. Not weight loss (although I will be losing weight).

I'll be lifting weights, doing cardio, and tracking my nutrition. I'll also be posting here daily.

I'm already on Day 5, so let's bring you up to speed...

Day 1 - 12/30/2017 - 200 lbs

This is what I currently look like:

jTLPKRn.jpg

6'0" and 200 lbs. This is the heaviest I have ever been. Last year I tried dieting and intermittent fasting, I kept program hopping, and I simply got heavier and fatter. In short: it was a lot of wheel spinning and minimum progress. It's time to end that.

I hit the gym this morning and lifted fasted. I just got back from a week long vacation, so it was nice to be back hitting the iron.

Push
1. BB overhead press 80x6, 65x7, 65x5
2. BB incline bench press 120x5, 120x3, 105x6
3. BB front squat 100x4, 100x4, 100x4
4. Sled single-leg calf press 200x12, 200x12, 205x10
5. Cable overhead tricep extension 115x10, 120x6, 105x10

I don't add the bar for the BB lifts, so add 45. It makes it easier to calculate while in the gym.

My lifts were all over the place. This is a new program and I'm trying to find my groove.

My calorie target was 2623.

VytsyGk.png

Close enough. I'm doing IIFYM, but I would like to eat more whole foods, fruits, and vegetables for health purposes. Small steps, though. I think meal planning would be helpful, especially on rest (cardio) days.

Tomorrow it's 40-45 minutes incline walking before work and a 1995 calorie target.

I hope you follow along. Feel free to ask me questions or provide any tips!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 2 - Sunday 12/31 - 200 lbs

I did some cardio, which was incline walking on a treadmill.

N3AGC4T.png

I have a heart rate monitor that I'm going to be playing around with and monitoring my workouts.

Nutrition went off the rails. I started off pretty good, but then my boss bought everybody pizza at work since it was New Years Eve. I decided to let loose. I also consumed a bottle of champagne and a couple beers. Oh well, best not to beat myself up over it. It's over and done with and now it's time to get back on the horse.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 3 - Monday, 1/1/2018 - 202 lbs

Weight went up, probably due to drinking and the carbs (carbs make you retain water, especially if you eat a whole pizza).

I would normally lift today, but I decided to start the New Year with some cardio since I didn't do a ton of it last year. Also, I was hungover and running helps.

I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

DPWjqWS.png

Distance and pace is off since it was on a treadmill.

I was thinking about calorie cycling earlier -- hence my 2623 calorie goal two days ago -- but I've decided to keep it simple and do a straight deficit. I'm going to be eating 2000 calories and then trying to burn at least 500 calories every day. High intensity cardio or low intensity -- it doesn't really matter. I'll change it up to keep it interesting.

I won't be eating those 500 calories back. I'll have a refeed/high calorie day whenever I feel like I need it.

lkNVbnx.png

Bam. I hit my calorie goal for the day. Just need a lot more days of that... it's all about consistency. Protein and fiber need to come way up, though. Carbs and fat don't really matter. As long as you get your minimum fats for hormonal functions, you're good.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 4 - Tuesday 01/02 - 198.8 lbs

Hit the gym this morning. Motivation is an all time high. I have to keep this up. From 2-4 weeks, that's when things get hard and it gets easy to start getting discouraged.

Pull Day
1. Weighted pullups 25x4, 25x4, 25x3
2. BB stiff-leg deadlift 105x6, 110x6, 115x6
3. Cable one-arm seated row 60x6, 90x6, 105x6
4. Cable lateral raises 25x10, 27.5x8, 27.5x8
5. Ez-bar bicep curls (narrow grip) 40x10, 45x10, 50x10
6. BB shrugs 140x8, 140x8, 140x5 (need to get some straps, grip was giving out)
7. Captain chair leg raises x10, x10, x10
8. Ab wheel x10, x10, x10

As always, add 45 for the exercises with a barbell.

I wore my heart rate monitor:

PP9vCWC.png

And I hit a 500 kcal burn without doing anything extra. I just lift heavy, keep it moving, and superset exercises (so I can get in and out faster).

I'm going to try not to go below 1800 calories. We'll see what happens. 2000 calories feels very limited, unless I'm doing intermittent fasting (which I'm not right now). I would rather just up the intensity/duration for a bigger burn/deficit than dip below 1800, but we'll see what happens when we reach that point.

My macros for the day:

0qf4Cr9.png

Pretty good. Fat and fiber could be higher, but we're not looking for perfection here. Just work on getting a little better each day.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 5 - Wednesday 01/03 - 197 lbs

I woke up and didn't want to do cardio. I just wanted to sit around, read, and drink coffee. But I went.

pkA8rMj.png

My workout sucked. Usually I workout fasted and today I ate an orange before going to the gym. I could feel the difference. I had no energy and just hit a wall. I am not doing that again.

The mind will start playing tricks on you. Already, I am having thoughts about switching up my routine or doing intermittent fasting. "I don't need cardio, I can just fast and lower my deficit. Or maybe I should do a 5-day split and do 20 minutes cardio after lifting, etc, etc."

Ignore that. Commit and trust the program. Give it three months and then you can try something else if you really want to.

I like intermittent fasting (16/8 window), but honestly, I don't eat great when doing it. I usually eat two meals and I eat a lot of junk food -- pizza, mac and cheese, etc.

With small meals I eat better because I'm like, "Oh, I'm still hungry? Don't worry, you get to eat again in 3 hours." And the good macro/micro foods naturally push out and limit the empty calories. It's easier for me to exercise portion control and to eat more protein.

I tried IF all last year. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over. I've been doing fine so far, so it's time to kick that shit to the curb and just stay the course.

Also running can suck while doing it, but I like the endorphins. It puts me in a better mood and it definitely helps me fight off depression. I also like feeling athletic and having endurance. Getting winded while going up stairs or having sex really sucks.

If you absolutely hate running then find some type of cardio you like -- rowing, cycling, walking, whatever. I like rowing, but my gym doesn't have a rower.

Macros:

aPVk9HX.png

Alright. Protein can come way up. I'm still playing around and seeing what I can fit in and what works best. Monitor and adjust is the name of the game.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 6 - 01/04 - 196.5 lbs

I woke up today feeling sluggish and didn't want to go to the gym today. I thought about taking a rest day and pushing my lifting to tomorrow, but I went anyway. I knew lifting would start my day on the right foot.

The trick when this happens is to just put on your gym clothes, or to tell yourself that you're just going to drive to the gym and you don't have to go in if you don't really want to. Chances are, after you make that drive and you get there, you'll most likely go in and workout.

But.... if for some reason you do start working out and you're really just having a shitty day -- you're frustrated or you can't focus or whatever is going on -- just do one set of your main lifts (the big compounds) and then you can leave. One heavy set is sufficient enough to make progress. We're aiming for consistency and sustainability here, not perfection.
Lifted weights. Push day.

I also burned over 500 kcals just by lifting heavy, and check out that HR Max:

QAsoov3.png

Most of my lifts are going up, which is great and what we want to happen, but my workout seemed to take forever and I had low energy throughout. It was a struggle. For that reason, I'm going to do a structured refeed day.

For a refeed day, you bump up your calories to maintenance or a little bit above, and you increase your carbs. Everything else stays pretty much the same.

Refeed days are important! They keep your motivation high because you get to eat more food, they boost leptin (which regulates your satiety and energy), fill up your glycogen, and they help keep your metabolism jacked up.

I will be doing refeed days either once or twice a week on lifting days, depending on my progress, how my energy feels, and what I think is necessary.

Weight is coming down quick and I feel lethargic, so I feel like now is a good time.

My calorie target today is 3130.

Easy peasy:

7Xn4DzV.png

So much easier hitting my protein and fiber macros. It was nice to eat that amount of food, not going to lie.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 7 - 01/05 - 198 lbs

As you can see, weight loss definitely isn't linear. My weight has been going up and down, up and down, all week. It's best to average it and compare week to week.

My weekly average so far: 198.9 lbs
Total loss: -1.1 lbs

That's slow, but it's still very, very early and weight loss does not tell the whole story. You want to aim for a loss of two lbs max per week -- unless you're obese and have a lot to lose, then you can get away with a more aggressive approach. But any more than two pounds and you're probably losing lean muscle, which isn't good. So far, I'm right in that range.

I had limited time at the gym today. I did 20 minutes of HIIT sprints on the treadmill and then a ground-based ab workout that helps with a cool down.

0tkpCBC.png

Not quite 500 kcals, but like weight lifting, with HIIT you keep burning calories afterwards due to the epoc effect. Not worried about it.

Target calorie goal is 2000 calories today:

PCKUAoN.png

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 8 - 01/06 - 197.5 lbs

Rest day. Weights tomorrow.

2000 calorie target.

Went on a date, so I had to estimate dinner.

0xO1u4t.png

Could be under, could be over. I'd rather overestimate.

Last edited:

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Great decision deciding to do a cut!

I run mentorship programs with the purpose of helping people achieve the best shape of their life, while eating things they enjoy. I am just saying this because if you need help, feel free to hit me up with a message.

Look forward to see the end result ;)

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Great decision deciding to do a cut!

I run mentorship programs with the purpose of helping people achieve the best shape of their life, while eating things they enjoy. I am just saying this because if you need help, feel free to hit me up with a message.

Look forward to see the end result ;)

Thanks, man! What do you think of my calorie level? Is that too low?

And cardio? Do you recommend doing it? A lot of things I have read and trainers I have talked to have said incline walking is adequate. Do you agree? Disagree?

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I would suggest, using a tape measure to track body size as a basic way to measure progress.

Can even use online calculators to get a rough body fat percentage from measurements, that you can use as a weekly measure to observe progress etc..

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Good job.

If your goal is burning fat, then get a body fat monitor. Change your main metric from weight to body fat.

Keep it up.

I would suggest, using a tape measure to track body size as a basic way to measure progress.

Can even use online calculators to get a rough body fat percentage from measurements, that you can use as a weekly measure to observe progress etc..

Thanks guys! Yep, I took some tape measurements when I started and will continue doing that.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 10 - 01/08 - 196.6 lbs

Didn't have time for cardio this morning. Should be fine as long as I hit my macros.

Annnnd I went over:

WK3ZKiv.png

Oh well. Focus on tomorrow.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 11 - 01/09 - 194.8

OE20Y0b.png

Got up and ran. Not going to lie, it's hard getting out of bed to go do cardio, but I never regret it afterwards. While I'm actually running, it sucks balls, but after it makes me feel like a million bucks. I was in a funk yesterday for no reason and this helped snap me out of it.

2000 calorie target today:

yJBVknX.png

Nice.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 12 - 01/10 - 194.8 lbs

Rest day. Structured refeed + lifting tomorrow.

2000 calorie target:

Xicq35Y.png

Went over. Oh well.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 13 - 01/11 - 194.8 lbs

Lifted weights. Lifts are going up. Structured refeed today.

SKTiPl0.png

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 14 - 01/12 - 198.5

Was going to go hiking today, but the weather was shit.

I haven't been doing much cardio this week, but that's fine as long as my diet is in check.

2000 calorie target:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 15 - 01/13 - 196.2 lbs

This week's average weight = 196.1
Last week's average = 198.9 lbs
Weekly weight loss = -2.8 lbs

I ended up not tracking yesterday. Went out to dinner to celebrate with the girl and just had fun. Diet wasn't terrible, just had steak, fries, and frozen yogurt. I might have been over or under 2000 calories. Not sure. I'm not stressed about it. This should compliment your life, not run it.

Lifted back and shoulders today. Lifts are going up. Weight is going down. Let's go!

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 16 - 01/14 - 198 lbs

UvX7Duv.png

These last few days I've been slacking. Been busy job hunting, starting my side hustle, and working out some personal issues. But let's be better.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 17 - 01/15 - 195.8 lbs

Did shoulders and back again today. Lifts are going up. I'm lifting one plate (45s) for barbell overhead press, which is awesome. I'd love to do the same on weighted chinups/pullups. I'm at a 25 lb plate for that right now.

I've switched programs to a three-days-a-week lifting program, and incline walking on my off days. Giving it a test run for a friend.

Measurements are going down, which means I'm losing fat, except my flexed bicep has gone up. Glad I'm doing measurements -- it's way more motivating.

I'm also playing around with IF. It makes hitting a deficit way easier, especially if I have to drop my calorie intake some more in the future as I continue to lose weight. I just need to make sure that I incorporate more whole foods with it.

ewQ0olD.png

Need more protein and more fiber. Story of my life.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 18 - 01/16 - 194.4 lbs

Protein needs to keep coming up.

KmM4fA9.png

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 19 - 01/17 - 194.2 lbs

Did legs today.

3UsoLWu.png

Not bad.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 21 - 01/19 - 194.6

Hit chest and arms today. Lifts going up.

EvPOfmW.png

No bueno.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 22 - 01/20 - 193.4 lbs

This week's average weight: 194.9 lbs
Last week's average: 196.1 lbs
Weekly weight loss: -1.2 lbs
Total weight loss so far: -5.1 lbs

Not bad. A two pound weekly weight loss would have been better, but hey, at least the scale is still dropping. And I haven't been doing any cardio lately.

Niz4jBf.png

F**kin' pizza. That's one of my trigger foods.

Last edited:

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 23 - 01/21 - 194.8 lbs

I6ibYPF.png

Pretty sure I went over. There were a bunch of treats at work that I couldn't track.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Day 24 - 01/22 - 193 lbs

30 minutes cardio for stress.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.