The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Workout Accountablity Thread

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Hi all!

I know a lot of you are working out daily. I know even more of you are trying to start that habit and are having issues keeping with it.

Working out regularly is so much easier if you have an accountabilibuddy to help you stay on track. So, consider this thread (and the people posting in it) your accountabilibuddies. ;)

What was YOUR workout today? What's your goal? What do you need to work on? What do you think you are succeeding at? Post as little or as much information as you want!

------
I'm doing Convict Conditioning. I started a couple weeks ago and I'm at level 2 for all but one exercise (leg raises). I also do some indoors Parkour conditioning work.

My workout this morning:
Convict Conditioning -
Crow Stand 1x3 sec, 1x6 sec, 1x8 sec (No Standard)
Straight Bridges 1x20, 1x4 (Beginner's Standard)

Parkour -
Burpee Breathing Ladder (1 burpee, 1 breath, 2 burpees, 2 breaths - to 7 and back, total 49 burpees)
360 degree jumps
Forward/Backward rolls

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
woke up at 4:45am this morning to go do 45 minutes of straight swimming. When I finished swimming and got home I did 20 minutes of reading to exercise my brain and then rolled on with my day from there.

My goal is to return to the mental clarity that I had ~3 years ago before I allowed myself to get influenced by others around me. I used to run because it felt good, ate well, and was in such a state that no matter what was going on I was happy, and could brush problems and situations off like they were nothing. The biggest shift between then and now was diet, and i pissed some people off this weekend for not eating their food (and paid them no mind), and I'm starting to feel better, so I'm on track haha.

physically I did my first triathlon last year and wish to condition my body better and beat my previous time.

Last edited:

Synz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 11, 2014
I've recently added kettle ball swings (improvised with dbell bar, but still) and they're quickly becoming one of my favourite exercises. Getting unassisted handstand pushups down is one of my goals for the year. I think the biggest stepping is almost definitely my uni student diet at this point.

Great idea for a thread though, its good to see people looking after themselves

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Let's get this thread going. I could use some motivation and I really need to hold myself accountable. I'm currently at my all time high of 236 at 5'9" tall. My slowlane consists of me sitting in a vehicle for 12 hour shifts so I need to kick it up a notch on my days off. Diet is a huge issue for me as well. Preparation is key: I need to get my a$$ in gear. Let's all do it together.

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
I am in a deload week for lifting, so I am going light on all lifts giving me a much needed break.

Today was a pull workout...
Barbell curls, overhand bent over barbell rows, t-bar rows, facepulls with rope/cable machine, wide grip lat pulldown. 15 minutes of cardio after my workout just because it feels good.

I let myself get out of shape the middle of last year and have been working on my goal to get back to 165lbs and or as lean as possible. I started at 233lbs and am down to 172lbs as of today.

Needless to say I have been cutting for a long while now and can't wait to up my calories and start focusing on upping my lifts and strength. :) Soon. Very soon.

Synz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 11, 2014
Getting some HIIT with sprints back into my life, along with some plain old jogging. There's been a lack of aerobic fitness in my life lately, but not anymore!

PS: If anyone needs some help coming up with a health plan, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions that can help with your goals

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Glad to see some people posting here. ;)

I have completed a 6 week fitness challenge I was on, and am currently taking a breather week before my next challenge begins (Convict Conditioning, still, but this week I'm doing one exercise a day).

Trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for this next challenge. CC wasn't enough, but I won't be able to go to the gym to workout, so I need to work out from home. I have a couple different options (P90X2, more CC, other body weight training), so I need to figure out what will get me to my goals fastest.

If I can get my hands on a double stroller, I'll be doing stroller strides 3 times a week for my more cardio based workout, but I'll still want to do something else.

Andrew@Secret

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
May 30, 2014
Nice! I like this thread.

Today was my cardio day, I was up at 5am to play ice hockey from 6-7:15 with a small group, just one line change on the bench. Rough workout for sure.

Foogaler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
May 28, 2014
In, was going strong on lifting consistently but ended up skipping my workout yesterday after a couple sets. Today will be a pull workout based on deadlifts, bent rows, and power shrugs, followed by additional accessory work.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Bumping this thread because we need to hold ourselves accountable... me - I'm back in the gym, but didn't go at all this week. Need to get consistent.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'll join this thread. I'm on the mend from a very serious illness that took me out of commission for almost a year. I am back to running and back to lifting. I do Stronglifts 5x5 3x a week. A progressive heavy lifting program. I run 2 days a week, lifting is my primary work-out. I'm currently on a cut cycle after bulking for several months. I lost a lot of weight with being sick, but really what I lost was muscle mass. Sooo I'm back at it. I have been doing stronglifts since April and the changes to my body have been amazing. Hope this thread comes back to life, I need the accountability :).

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Count me in! Missed today on purpose to let my muscles rest (worked out and ran too hard yesterday).

Never been 'fit' my whole life - been in decent shape but, I want to be better.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Just finished running / working out - God damn I hate working out. I don't know why. I love running but, lifting weights is just boring for me.

@BeingChewsie - You get your exercise in today?

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yes! Today was a run day for me. Thank you for asking.

I love lifting. I feel like such a badass when I'm done! Running is ok, but I get bored. It is just such a great cardio workout and fast.

I'll run tomorrow morning and lift Saturday morning. I usually rest on Sundays.

G

Guest24480

Down 5 pounds from last month. Trying to lose another 5-10 before school starts to eliminate the freshman 15 I acquired last year (yes it exists). Also trying to build back the muscle I lost since high school ended

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Yes! Today was a run day for me. Thank you for asking.

I love lifting. I feel like such a badass when I'm done! Running is ok, but I get bored. It is just such a great cardio workout and fast.

I'll run tomorrow morning and lift Saturday morning. I usually rest on Sundays.

Haha I wish I felt like a badass when lifting... Maybe I'll try to grunt and do some war cries tomorrow.. Hopefully that will work ;)

I'll get a workout/run in tomorrow hopefully but, i'll be out drinking at least 1 day this weekend ... Not sure when. Alcohol is my weak spot!

Down 5 pounds from last month. Trying to lose another 5-10 before school starts to eliminate the freshman 15 I acquired last year (yes it exists). Also trying to build back the muscle I lost since high school ended

Good work, keep it up and keep us up to date in this thread!

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
"I'd rather die than miss my workout" is what I heard someone say once. If you decide its okay to miss one workout, it means its just THAT much easier for you to miss another one. And if it its okay for you to continually miss workouts its okay for you to not do other important things you said you were going to do. If you skip a workout, you are just like a wannabe fastlaner who skips a day of working towards his goals.

Working out it definitely a keystone habit, meaning that its not just good for your health, but it is a catalyst for other important habits in your life.

But, it is tricky. For someone who has worked out since I was 13, I have quit and came back so many times. The three most important things are

1. To find out WHY you really want to workout. Someone who works out for strength, aesthetics, sports, flexibility, general health, all have different goals. Looking fit on the outside does not equal fit on the inside, and its perfectly okay to not care about being healthy on the inside, but if you do, act accordingly. Just be honest with yourself. If you consciously or subconsciously have one goal, and workout towards a different goal, you will cause yourself frustration and have more of a reason to quit.

2. Don't think it is okay to go into the gym and lift the same weights or run for the same distance or the same time. You might not improve everyday that's natural, but if you don't STRIVE to improve everyday, you definitely won't.

3. Just like business, you can't wait until everything is perfect. Stop looking for the best workout, or the best diet, before taking action. Learn the fundamentals, calorie deficit = weight loss, calorie surplus = weight gain. High nutrient food = healthy body. Find a way of eating that you are okay with for LIFE, because fitness is a lifetime process. Eventually you find what works and doesn't if you pay attention to number 2, and you can adjust accordingly.

I'm no expert and I fight resistance everyday, but coming to terms with these things makes it a whole lot easier to hit the gym.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Just got done lifting! I am increasing my accessory lifts to go along with Stronglifts 5x5 so my lifting is taking an hour and 45 minutes now. I'm still running 2 times a week too. I'm on a cut cycle so I'm tired and am not progressing up on weights much, but hopefully it will be worth it when I get my bf% where I want it.

How is everyone else doing on their workouts?

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Saturday I ran in the morning. I did my accessory lifts again in the afternoon. I'm lifting for aesthetics too, not just strength so I think adding lifts and increasing reps will really help with that.

I've added barbell bicep curls, floor presses, upright barbell rows, and additional weighted glute bridges/hip thrusts.

Today I did Strong lifts 5x5...squats, OHP and deadlifts...accessory lifts same as above.

A friend suggested I also add in more bodyweight exercises...push-ups, chin-ups and dips...push-ups were enough additional for today..:eek:.

I'm going to run tonight...because quitting is not an option! I think I am adjusting to the cut in calories, I have more energy again.

What is everyone else up too?

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Ugh last week was horrible

3 days working out, 4 days running.

Lot's of drinking.... Family from England visiting and it turned into two nights of lot's of alcohol which = 3 days of nothing else could get done.

Ready to workout / run today and get back on track!

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Small shot here, but anyone look at athleanx on youtube or his program? Really interested in the guy, and not affiliated in any way...but he was a sports trainer and really explains what everything is and why you do it. I quit my job to move locations with gf, so im out of slowlane...debating whether to spend money on the monthly membership to get me up and rolling super early, or just have willpower to keep doing exercises from home.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Ugh last week was horrible
3 days working out, 4 days running.
Lot's of drinking.... Family from England visiting and it turned into two nights of lot's of alcohol which = 3 days of nothing else could get done.
Ready to workout / run today and get back on track!

Hope you got back on track today! I just did a quick 15 minute run on the dreadmill. I was so wiped running. :yawn:

I hope you had a nice visit with your family too.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I haven't worked out since high school a decade ago, when I took/co-instructed daily karate classes.
Making money got in the way. I feel I'm at the point now where that needs to change.

I decided this weekend that it was time to start paying attention to my health via a workout routine. Why can I never quite get into the groove of working out?
  1. Atmosphere of gyms is offputting
  2. I can't hold myself accountable.
  3. I'll find any excuse to be lazy.
  4. It's really boring. REALLY boring. I hate how mind mindbogglingly BORING excersize is.
It's #4 that really keeps me from doing it. I've gotten over laziness, accountability, and atmosphere problems before in business. But if something's not fun for me WHILE I'm doing it, I won't. I think that's my roadblock here.

So, I decided to lifehack myself into working out.. the same way I lifehacked myself into business schedules. I use the things that motivate me naturally.

I purchased this baby right here:
Dance_Central_2.jpg

This is the dancing game for xbox Kinnect. It costs $12, and with prime it got here in 2 days. Kinect means FULL BODY, not just your arms like the Wii.

Why this will work for me (to at least get me started)
  1. It's ridiculously fun.
  2. High score and easy/medium/hard difficulties means I have an objective indicator of progression. (feels good to beat my personal best)
  3. Can do it from home
  4. Setup takes 3 mins.
I played my fist session today.
40 mins? 60? 80? 100? 120?
No idea how much time passed.
The sun went down while I was playing.

I was DRENCHED in sweat.

I wanted to keep going, because of the FUN factor.
but I was going to collapse. I keep looking over at it, wanting to play, but I'm putting it off to see how my body feels tomorrow.

Ideally, I'd make this a daily routine.
"Escape" from the routine + exercise at the same time.

Lets see if I'm as excited about this when it's not shiny and new anymore.

QUICK QUESTION
I take a 30 min walk daily (unless it's raining or icy), but other than that I get ZERO exercise and haven't for the past 10 years or so.

I know my personality and I know I'm going to want to play this everyday.
Even if I'm sore + tired from a previous day.

Should I set up a strict limitation on myself regarding which days I'm allowed to play?
Or just do what I feel like and see what happens?

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
DennisDuty with the dance game you'd probably be fine to play as many days in a row as you want. If you're feeling overly sore or fatigued then give yourself a day or two of rest, though. Keep up the great work!

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I know my personality and I know I'm going to want to play this everyday.
Even if I'm sore + tired from a previous day.
Should I set up a strict limitation on myself regarding which days I'm allowed to play?
Or just do what I feel like and see what happens?

Hey Dennis, glad to see you on this thread!
Do what you feel like and stop when you feel done. If you keep going you can hurt yourself.

One thing that helped me today: I was BEYOND tired all day, telling myself i'm not going to workout at all today or run. The time came and 2 things came into play 1. I've been doing this so long I felt guilty not doing it 2. I started really slow, instead of going hard I told myself ok just do a couple reps so you've done something today and you can skip the run. I ended up doing a full workout, still tired but, went on the run anyway since I was already doing the activity.

Those lazy days definitely come but, the key is just doing something really small. For the first month though, make sure you do it at least 5x a week so you build the habit, without the habit it's almost impossible to stay on track.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Those lazy days definitely come but, the key is just doing something really small. For the first month though, make sure you do it at least 5x a week so you build the habit, without the habit it's almost impossible to stay on track.
I was just reading about this.

The theory is, your goal is to do a single pushup a day.
Setting that one small goal and sticking with it, as your ONLY goal for the day, may just turn into more.
But if you can't, or you're lazy, or you don't want to, your one-pushup goal is all you need to meet that day.

From: http://tinybuddha.com/blog/simple-mini-habits-can-change-life/
What if, instead of carrying around this overwhelming fitness anvil on my shoulders, I just did one push-up?

Initially, I scoffed at the idea. How absurd to do a single push-up and act as if it means anything! But when I continued to struggle with my bigger plans, I finally gave in to the idea and did one, and since I was already in push-up position, I did a few more.

After that, my muscles were warmed up, and I decided to try one pull-up. Just like you guessed, I ended up doing several more. Eventually, I had exercised for 30 minutes.

My mind was blown—did I just turn a single push-up into a full workout? Yes, yes I did.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Dennis can you join a sports team of some kind? I get bored by going to the gym, but I really look forward to the days I play team sports (hockey and soccer), plus I feel like a jerk if I skip out on the team, as there is a sense that the team needs me for numbers purposes. Plus I've built an amazing business network with the people I play with.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Dennis can you join a sports team of some kind? I get bored by going to the gym, but I really look forward to the days I play team sports (hockey and soccer), plus I feel like a jerk if I skip out on the team, as there is a sense that the team needs me for numbers purposes. Plus I've built an amazing business network with the people I play with.
That sounds like an idea. I'll search to see what's happening in my area. Thanks.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Dennis,

I'd limit the game to an hour a day, three to six days a week. You decide but three times a week should be a minimum. That is plenty of cardio for most people.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I was BEYOND tired all day, telling myself i'm not going to workout at all today or run.

Are you eating enough to fuel your work-outs? I have been exhausted and just had to up my calories by 150-200 a day. I tried to make sure they were mostly from carbs too. I felt much better lifting this AM and I'm going to lift again in a little while and the additional calories seem to have given me more energy. I did a quick run this morning and was still OK when I lifted. I think the extra calories relieved the drag, maybe you need to eat a little more too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.