The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Work: Late Night vs. Early Morning

Anything related to matters of the mind

Dark Knight

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 9, 2018
Warsaw
I would like to know your opinion when you are more productive and creative at work? When do you work at night or early in the morning?

I am 23 years old and so far I'm working poorly on ideas and working on my own business in the morning. I feel zero concentration in the morning. However, it goes much better at night.

And how is it with you? Do you prefer work at night or in the morning?

Sorry for my english, I'm still learning.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
A number of guys here have built businesses by night, and a number have built them by dawn.

Do what works for you. Waking up early and accomplishing nothing because you can’t focus is a huge waste of time.

I prefer to work at night because early morning is reserved for the gym. My slowlane job starts at 7am, and if I didn’t hit the gym beforehand I wouldn’t ever make it there. Working at night does have occasional drawbacks for me, because some nights I’m too drained to focus at a high level. Those nights I’ll visit this forum or read.

Last edited:

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
Most people are more focused in the morning but that differs from person to person.

Obviously you tried both and gave the answer already. You're more concentrated at night.

So work at nights.

handog

Believing Is Seeing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 3, 2018
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Get into the habit of getting into good habits. Consistency is key. Focus on yourself first to make sure you are getting good enough sleep, good diet and good workouts and you have to focus on those in the same order. Once your day is filled with good habits and you are in your own rhythm on a daily basis, then you will naturally know when the best time to fit your fastlane efforts in.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
When you're on a roll you're on a roll. I work best when I should be sleeping. Best work happens when I pull an all nighter.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I used to think I was a night-owl type also. For years I would try to wake up early and my mornings would be miserable..

The only reason I kept trying it was because I have read so many successful people wake up early.

So after a lot of practice I have been waking up at 5am everyday (trying to go to bed around 9pm) and I am still a bit tired but I can tell mornings are better for me. I feel more mentally alert in the morning for some reason. There's also no distractions in the morning like there is at night.

I also think there's a psychological advantage in the morning simply because you're up and moving before everyone else. It's like a placebo effect when you get a bunch of stuff done and the clock hits 8am. You get a, "Wow I'm so productive and I have so much time left," feeling. Along with a confidence boost that says, "I'm so committed to success, Nothings going to stop me! I'm working while everyone else is sleeping!!" Even though you have the same amount of hours in the day as everyone else.

But maybe that's just me.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I work best when I have somewhere else to be. Like I get the most motivated to work when I should be going to work, and by the time I get home, I'm too drained to focus at a high level. Sadly Saturday and Sunday I don't feel this, but on days like yesterday when it's a work holiday, I do get that motivation so I take advantage of it.

Otherwise usually the best in the morning after a couple of hours of waking myself up. Night time I get too drowsy to focus

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
What's changed about time you've all worked now that we have a pandemic?

My 9-5 was forced permanent remote and I only have to be available during my meetings in the day. I used to only work 9-5, now I do about 3 hours of meetings during the day and do most of my actual coding from 10pm onward. It's really great actually and I get more rest this way. The hard part is juggling caffeine.. kind of need it at 10pm, but i do still go to sleep after I work, at about 3, so can't drink too much... THAT is definitely messing with me

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018
I would like to know your opinion when you are more productive and creative at work? When do you work at night or early in the morning?

I am 23 years old and so far I'm working poorly on ideas and working on my own business in the morning. I feel zero concentration in the morning. However, it goes much better at night.

With my current schedule, working all night isn't exactly feasible.

That being said, nothing feels more natural to me than cranking shit out at 2am. It just works for me.

Don't get me wrong, I can get shit done any time of day, but I really feel like I'm in my element when I'm churning out code at midnight. Look up sleep chronotypes. People have different times for their peak productivity and sleep schedule.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I've spent the last 6 months trying to wake up 8AM or earlier and have failed miserably, even when i wake up 8 or 9 or 10 or 11, i feel like crap for awhile.

However, I am still convinced that it's worthwhile long term to cultivate early rise time.
It just makes more sense because as the day goes on, there are more and more potential distractions.

The fastlane is a marathon, not a sprint. Successfully cultivating the habit of getting work done early will increase the chances of consistent work effort, because there are significantly less distractions in the morning.

I hope im not a night owl, but if I am, I wanna really make sure that's what it is, and not just me being used to all nighters.

Also, I'd say its a lot easier to normally wake up early and go to bed at a reasonable time, and occasionally staying up extra late VS always being up in the afternoon and night and occasionally forcing oneself to wake up early.

Jay89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 6, 2020
Germany

I actually was a little bit sick of everything in the end of 2019 and said F*ck it I am gonna do nothing/just what I want in 2020. One thing I learned during that time is that I have to get up at around 9-10am. I was doing all sorts of 5am challenges before but it was always absolute pain. Without an alarm clock, I always would be waking up around 9-10.

Also when I was forcing myself to go to bed early I couldnt sleep or was going to bed motivated/ with high energy. Since I am consistently getting up between 9-10 I can work to 2-3 am and it is often times my most productive hours of the day. It is kind of the same like 5 am but reversed because during weekdays not alot of people are up at that time so it is also very silent and distraction free. Since I am doing it that way I feel way better mentally and are not tired at all getting up and the best thing is, I dont need an alarm clock.

Clay Alexander

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Sep 22, 2020
NI in UK
You need to obey your natural Circadian Rhythm. I know there's very little I can consistantly and effectively do to be creative in the morning. Nothing gets me in that state. But after 8pm my brain fires itself up.

D

Deleted78083

There is no rule, do what works for you, we are all different in this regard, and books, videos and gurus claiming that "WAKING UP AT 3AM WILL MAKE YOU RICH" should be burnt

Andrew McBurney

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 8, 2019
I bounce back and forth but definitely more work during the day / asleep at night. If I am in "build" mode and just need to hammer things out, I don't mind staying up late and throwing my sleep schedule off. Definitely more creative and productive like this, but it takes its toll on me.

When I am running in a fairly predictable manner, the normal hour schedule works well for me and my mood maintains a health state.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.